2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

2019 The Players Championship

buckeye440

Chicco is really on fire and with his ballstriking, he should be favorite over anyone really.

Rickie's putting is also on fire, his back nine on Sunday was messed up due to driver error.

Rory needs to find a putter and stick with it, or opt out of that club and get custom made one to his liking but take out his Nike Oven putter, anything really......

My pick is Tommy Fleetwood, still hoping Stenson would win though

TM M3 9.5*
Cobra King Ltd 15*
Callaway XR 18* 

Cobra Fly Z+ 4-P

Bridgestone J15 50*

Callaway MD2 56/60*

TM Spider X Navy Blue
Srixon Z Star

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO this is how the worlds various tournaments seem/should be ranked:

Majors

WGC

High tier PGA Tour Events (The Players, API, Torrey ect)

High Tier Euro Tour Events (Ireland, Scotland, British Masters, France ect)

"Lower" PGA Tour events (e.g. Autumn Events + others)

"Lower" Euro Tour Events (Oman, Switzerland ect)

Web.com/Euro Challenge Tour

Mini Tours

My main point being that the Players has a long (hopefully impossible) journey to being a major despite the way its being pushed

Why do PGA tour events rank in front if ET events?

Because ET top players are playing in the PGA Tour? Tommy, Chicco, Sergio, Rahm, Rory, Rose, Stenson, Poulter (the winning Ryder Cup team) all play in PGA Tour

Haha! But they are members of the ET tour as well. They have to be for selection. So by your analogy, the ET tour should be ranked above the PGA tour. I mean that's who they represent after all.

I’ll bet Rory shoots -1 to +1 for the first round.

Callaway Rogue Max LS Driver, 9 degrees, Tensei Blue shaft

Mizuno ST180 5 wood

Ping G425 Max 7 wood
Srixon ZX4 4 iron
Srixon ZX5 irons 5-PW, Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 shafts

Cleveland RTX6 48* wedge

Cleveland Zipcore 54* wedge
Cleveland RTX 58* full face wedge
Nike Method Core Drone 2.0 putter 34"

One of my least favorite tournaments of the year. An uninspired, fake, manufactured golf course, a network bloviating over how it really should be considered a major, ball in the water count on 17 (with comparisons to all prior years), obligatory shots of alligators in the ponds. and endless "better than most" replays. Thank goodness college bball tourneys are in full swing....

I don't have any problems with the tournament per se, only its pretensions to major status. As for the course, I hate it. Pete Dye has done some fantastic work, but this ain't it. Sawgrass looks like Dye was drunk on his "Dyeabolical" reputation when he designed it. It's a putt-putt course stretched to 7,000 yards. Plus it has the most overrated hole in all of golf, the gimmicky 17th.

One of my least favorite tournaments of the year. An uninspired, fake, manufactured golf course, a network bloviating over how it really should be considered a major, ball in the water count on 17 (with comparisons to all prior years), obligatory shots of alligators in the ponds. and endless "better than most" replays. Thank goodness college bball tourneys are in full swing....

I don't have any problems with the tournament per se, only its pretensions to major status. As for the course, I hate it. Pete Dye has done some fantastic work, but this ain't it. Sawgrass looks like Dye was drunk on his "Dyeabolical" reputation when he designed it. It's a putt-putt course stretched to 7,000 yards. Plus it has the most overrated hole in all of golf, the gimmicky 17th.

I agree with both of these comments. The course is not a masterpiece. I wouldn't play it again if you paid me. If I hear any more adulation for either Koch's call or the high art of overseeing with rye, I'm just going to throw my TV out the window. While I prefer the March timeframe, the winds always produce a day when the whole event is reduced to a crash and burn festival. People sit on the side of the hill at 17 cheering balls that go in the water. Then we all go running for cover in a hospitality tent as a storm comes racing thru.

Majors

WGC

Mini Tours

My main point being that the Players has a long (hopefully impossible) journey to being a major despite the way its being pushed

Because ET top players are playing in the PGA Tour? Tommy, Chicco, Sergio, Rahm, Rory, Rose, Stenson, Poulter (the winning Ryder Cup team) all play in PGA Tour

Haha! But they are members of the ET tour as well. They have to be for selection. So by your analogy, the ET tour should be ranked above the PGA tour. I mean that's who they represent after all.

No. It's not about ranking the Tour, it's about ranking the events. I'm a big fan of the ET and generally think it's a better run tour, but compare the strength of fields of the events and you will see why people might feel that generally the PGA Tour events rank more.

The "strongest" non-major, non-WGC field on the ET for 2018 in would have ranked 16th on the PGA Tour, just below the Valspar.

run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

I'm a little surprised at the negative comments about the Sawgrass course or the Players tournament in general. I look forward to the Players every year. As for the 17th being tricky or gimmicky, I don't see it that way. I find it exciting. I'm on the edge of my seat when my guy is in contention and tees it up on that hole. Much like the 12th at the Masters. Speaking of which, if you're tired of the 5th major spiel, then you've really got to be tired of the 'tradition like no other' we get ad nauseum every year for the Masters. That tournament sells itself.

I'm a little surprised at the negative comments about the Sawgrass course or the Players tournament in general. I look forward to the Players every year. As for the 17th being tricky or gimmicky, I don't see it that way. I find it exciting. I'm on the edge of my seat when my guy is in contention and tees it up on that hole. Much like the 12th at the Masters. Speaking of which, if you're tired of the 5th major spiel, then you've really got to be tired of the 'tradition like no other' we get ad nauseum every year for the Masters. That tournament sells itself.

The difference is that the Masters actually is a "tradition like no other".

The difference is that the Masters actually is a "tradition like no other".

Ahem, “a tradition unlike any other”

McCord got fired for less!

I absolutely hate how the PGA Tour is doing everything in their power to make Sawgrass soft - and even worse that some players are saying thats a good thing. In the past month Ive played 6 courses around Orlando / Melbourne and all of them have been extremely firm and fast.

None of them were overseeded. Not really able to get overseeded golf courses super firm and fast. It wont be any softer or slower than Bayhill

I’ll disagree with you on this Dan. You can but to what level? People here are harkening form fast firm fast it seems but I’m not sure they know what they’re talking about.

The turf type has no bearing on firmness that is mostly soil compaction. Speed comes from a combination of compaction (maybe 12-15 percent) the rest is moisture management and reduction of friction the leaf blade.

I understand that you typically have to water more but you know as well as I that those problems that lesser courses face; manpower and time aren’t issues at this level. Example a dry spot at your local club will be watered with overheads, at TPC it’ll be watered with a hose. Saving watered and only applying it where it needs to be.

I agree with both of these comments. The course is not a masterpiece. I wouldn't play it again if you paid me. If I hear any more adulation for either Koch's call or the high art of overseeing with rye, I'm just going to throw my TV out the window. While I prefer the March timeframe, the winds always produce a day when the whole event is reduced to a crash and burn festival. People sit on the side of the hill at 17 cheering balls that go in the water. Then we all go running for cover in a hospitality tent as a storm comes racing thru.

All of the above.

Notable players:

• Americans: Dustin Johnson, Brooks Koepka, Justin Thomas, Bryson DeChambeau, Xander Schauffele, Rickie Fowler, Tiger Woods, Tony Finau, Patrick Reed, Bubba Watson, Patrick Cantlay, Phil Mickelson, Webb Simpson, Matt Kuchar, Gary Woodland, Jordan Spieth...
  • British & Irish: Justin Rose, Rory McIlroy, Tommy Fleetwood, Paul Casey, Ian Poulter, Matthew Fitzpatrick, Matt Wallace, Tyrrell Hatton, Eddie Pepperell, Shane Lowry, Russell Knox, Danny Willett.
  • Aus & NZ: Jason Day, Marc Leishman, Cameron Smith, Adam Scott, Danny Lee, Aaron Baddeley.
  • Continental Europeans: Francesco Molinari, Jon Rahm, Sergio García, Rafa Cabrera Bello, Alex Noren, Henrik Stenson, Thorbjorn Olesen, Lucas Bjerregaard, Martin Kaymer.
  • Canadians: Adam Hadwin, Corey Conners, Nick Taylor.
  • South Africans: Louis Oosthuizen, Branden Grace, Charl Schwartzel.
  • Asia-Pacific: Haotong Li, Kiradech Aphibarnrat, Hideki Matsuyama, Satoshi Kodaira, Byeong Hun An, Siwoo Kim, Sungjae Im, Sunghoon Kang, C.T. Pan, Anirban Lahiri, Vijay Singh.
  • Latin Americans: Abraham Ancer, Emiliano Grillo, Jhonattan Vegas.

Well here I am. I guess it’s time to follow golf again. And why not, Spring Break, it’s raining again, it’s the Not 5th Major, and the course is the champion in all of fakery golf has to offer. And that is saying a lot considering what golf courses do to destroy natural beauty.

That aside I have just one gripe. Shorts? I know, it’s just practce. “I mean practice, we talkin bout practice, how silly is that?” I just think if the policy is long pants for the tournament, it needs to be the same the whole week. Now we know what will happen next.

It's kind of hard to give Sawgrass a bad rap when so many modern courses are on tour now and can have a gimmicky feature here and there to challenge the best in the world. It's been a long while since I played it and I thought it was a good course, tough visually to get a line you felt confident in off the tee, and in many spots on the fairway, the approach was not a given even on the shorter shots. I remember many times having shots to the green somewhat blind and you are hitting to a spot behind the green and just trusting your distance.

The course, like Dye's Stadium Course, has become easier over the last decade for the guys. Maybe not overall scoring average, but the leaders are going lower. I get what others are posting about the 17th being a magnet for endless commentary and stats, but it is with good reason compared to something gimmicky like the 16th at TPC Scottsdale. The closing holes 16-18 make for great TV and pressure when the leaderboard is stacked. Any other day, the 17th hole is an easy 9i-PW for any golfer better than a 10. Put big money on the line, some wind, and watch the fireworks.

It's still not 5th major though! There is no such thing.

I absolutely hate how the PGA Tour is doing everything in their power to make Sawgrass soft - and even worse that some players are saying that’s a good thing. In the past month I’ve played 6 courses around Orlando / Melbourne and all of them have been extremely firm and fast.

None of them were overseeded. Not really able to get overseeded golf courses super firm and fast. It won’t be any softer or slower than Bayhill

I’ll disagree with you on this Dan. You can but to what level? People here are harkening form fast firm fast it seems but I’m not sure they know what they’re talking about.

The turf type has no bearing on firmness that is mostly soil compaction. Speed comes from a combination of compaction (maybe 12-15 percent) the rest is moisture management and reduction of friction the leaf blade.

I understand that you typically have to water more but you know as well as I that those problems that lesser courses face; manpower and time aren’t issues at this level. Example a dry spot at your local club will be watered with overheads, at TPC it’ll be watered with a hose. Saving watered and only applying it where it needs to be.

Not sustainably super firm and fast I should say. I’ve been out at TPC a ton the last month, they won’t be soft or slow, but also won’t get out of hand like they did a couple years ago. I think TPC plays a lot more fair and in some ways harder, overseeded. Guys are actually spinning off the front of 3.

Well here I am. I guess it's time to follow golf again. And why not, Spring Break, it's raining again, it's the Not 5th Major, and the course is the champion in all of fakery golf has to offer. And that is saying a lot considering what golf courses do to destroy natural beauty.

That aside I have just one gripe. Shorts? I know, it's just practce. "I mean practice, we talkin bout practice, how silly is that?" I just think if the policy is long pants for the tournament, it needs to be the same the whole week. Now we know what will happen next.

*WOOP WOOP* FUN POLICE INBOUND *WOOP WOOP*

Who sh*t in your Cheerios?

I like golf. A lot.

I get the adoration for Tiger, but I still can’t fathom betting on him to win.

Serious question. Do you gamble?

Big cat @+2200 is insanity on any track.

I don’t. But I understand the long odds he is getting, I guess I could see a small amount, just in case. But there’s a reason he’s @+2200.

def put 200 on him this week. betting on tiger is always a good bet. long live the GOAT!

So after watching the Big Cat's interview.. I doubled down! $200 @ + 2200 for the Big Cat to take this 3rd Players Championship!!!!!

61950053.jpg

Titleist....

Well here I am. I guess it's time to follow golf again. And why not, Spring Break, it's raining again, it's the Not 5th Major, and the course is the champion in all of fakery golf has to offer. And that is saying a lot considering what golf courses do to destroy natural beauty.

That aside I have just one gripe. Shorts? I know, it's just practce. "I mean practice, we talkin bout practice, how silly is that?" I just think if the policy is long pants for the tournament, it needs to be the same the whole week. Now we know what will happen next.

I’m actually a grits kind of guy. On the shorts, this is one of those times the stuffly ole men are correct imo. Shorts just look tacky.

Majors

WGC

Mini Tours

No. It's not about ranking the Tour, it's about ranking the events. I'm a big fan of the ET and generally think it's a better run tour, but compare the strength of fields of the events and you will see why people might feel that generally the PGA Tour events rank more.

The "strongest" non-major, non-WGC field on the ET for 2018 in would have ranked 16th on the PGA Tour, just below the Valspar.

More stats. Just what we need. There's more to enjoying a tournament or whether it's even a good event than the strength of the field. It's not that simple. The US PGA claims the strongest field in golf, every year and the players always makes a similar argument. Does that make them the best tournaments? Hardly. I'd say most people on here including you would laugh at that suggestion.

I'm actually a grits kind of guy. On the shorts, this is one of those times the stuffly ole men are correct imo. Shorts just look tacky.

Bud, I've got 5 ft mounds of frozen ice/snow on either side of my driveway. It was -9*C this morning when I left for the office.... I can't even look at my clubs out of fear they may shatter due to temps... I'm counting down the weeks until I can get out for some wet weather play.. and I am totally not as sour as you are.. Your location says Texas!!!! WTFH, dude.. get out and play!

:)

Titleist....