2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Rory Mcilroy has become a bad pressure player (There, we've said it)

bscinstnct

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem is that he doesn't like people being critical of him.

Not true. I'm fine if people are critical of what I write and of Rory. I'm not even a Rory fan. I just think it's funny everyone knows what the 6th best golfer in the world needs to be doing differently.

I was just joking dude, chill out :)

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

I personally don’t think it’s the pressure of closing that gets in Rory’s way and I don’t know that it’s a technical weakness in any one facet of the game, although some areas are certainly relative weaknesses.

Amongst the elites and all timers, Rory seems to have a unique ability to completely go on tilt and blow up his round on a moments notice. It can happen on Sunday down the stretch of course, but it seems just as likely to happens Friday or Saturday or probably during practice rounds as well.

It seems like all it takes is one bad break, and then the wheels fall off. At API, it seems like the trigger was a makeable birdie on one of the first few holes that lipped out. All down hill after that. He doesn’t have the mentality that allows him to chill and defend for a hole or two to get his balance back.

On slightly off days he refuses to grind out an ok score to give himself a chance. He is always going for all or nothing. When was the last time you saw him lay up? Seems like even DJ or the other big bombers will play to a distance once in a while. Rory always pulls a long iron or fair way wood and goes for a hero shot. I don’t think I’ve ever seen him make a half swing or 3 quarter swing or a stinger or any other less than all out type of shot.

With Rory, it’s high risk high reward all day everyday. I guess that would be ok if he were even keel enough to withstand the bad outcomes but that doesn’t seem to be the case. A bad break or a bad shot will quickly lead to 3 or four more bad shots and then he is done and tanks the rest of the round and is ready to call it a tournament.

Tiger, Jordan, just about any other great player have the ability to grind and keep themselves around even when it’s not all clicking. Rory can’t or won’t.

I firmly believe that Jordan Spieth's ascent to the top of the golfing world in 2015 is as much a factor as any in Rorys relatively weak play.

Rory was tagged the new improved golfing prodigy following the Tiger era and he was going to lead this generation. But nobody saw a younger American prodigy in Jordan Spieth coming. Those majors Spieth won took something out of Rory on a mental level. I watched it happen.

I actually believe Jordan is going through something similar. In sport nothing shatters the confidence quicker than being in the presence of somebody better than you. Jordans never feared Dustin, Rory, or Koepka. But somebody's return to golf might have shaken more than the TV ratings. Just saying

Very good point.

I've had this theory. That maybe there is only so much " winning spirit " in the world. Maybe it's passed around. And maybe Jordan shared one with this returning player. Maybe both cannot use it at once ?

Hot potato theory.

I personally don’t think it’s the pressure of closing that gets in Rory’s way and I don’t know that it’s a technical weakness in any one facet of the game, although some areas are certainly relative weaknesses.

Amongst the elites and all timers, Rory seems to have a unique ability to completely go on tilt and blow up his round on a moments notice. It can happen on Sunday down the stretch of course, but it seems just as likely to happens Friday or Saturday or probably during practice rounds as well.

It seems like all it takes is one bad break, and then the wheels fall off. At API, it seems like the trigger was a makeable birdie on one of the first few holes that lipped out. All down hill after that. He doesn’t have the mentality that allows him to chill and defend for a hole or two to get his balance back.

On slightly off days he refuses to grind out an ok score to give himself a chance. He is always going for all or nothing. When was the last time you saw him lay up? Seems like even DJ or the other big bombers will play to a distance once in a while. Rory always pulls a long iron or fair way wood and goes for a hero shot. I don’t think I’ve ever seen him make a half swing or 3 quarter swing or a stinger or any other less than all out type of shot.

With Rory, it’s high risk high reward all day everyday. I guess that would be ok if he were even keel enough to withstand the bad outcomes but that doesn’t seem to be the case. A bad break or a bad shot will quickly lead to 3 or four more bad shots and then he is done and tanks the rest of the round and is ready to call it a tournament.

Tiger, Jordan, just about any other great player have the ability to grind and keep themselves around even when it’s not all clicking. Rory can’t or won’t.

Great post and so true.

There is really only one stat you need to focus on with Rory. Strokes Gained Putting...or in his case, strokes lost putting. He is undoubtedly one, if not the best, ball strikers on the PGA Tour right now. He gives up 2-4 strokes per ROUND with his putter alone. Let that sink in for a minute. He needs to spend some time with Justin Rose, throw out all things conventional in need be, and just find a combination that works. A 20% change in this stat and he would have 3 tournament wins this year.

He gives up 2-4 strokes per ROUND with his putter alone. Let that sink in for a minute.

Except that he doesn't. Total strokes gained putting is .359 per round. Ranks 53rd on tour.

And DJ, by the way, is not very good with his wedges, contrary to all the "working with Butch to dial in his wedges" stuff we've been hearing the last 2 years or so. Stats tell the story.

My cleek is sometimes peevish.

He gives up 2-4 strokes per ROUND with his putter alone. Let that sink in for a minute.

Except that he doesn't. Total strokes gained putting is .359 per round. Ranks 53rd on tour.

And DJ, by the way, is not very good with his wedges, contrary to all the "working with Butch to dial in his wedges" stuff we've been hearing the last 2 years or so. Stats tell the story.

I mean, im not sure what your definition of "not very good is" but approaches from 50-125 yards the last few years for DJ...

2016- 4th

2017- T12

2018- T15

Hardly seems not very good to me

Titleist TS3 8.5* Diamana D+ 70X Titleist TS2 15* Diamana D+ 80X Titleist 915 Hd 20.5* Diamana D+ 100X Titleist T100 4-PW X100 Titleist Vokey SM7 50.12F X100 Titleist Vokey SM7 54.14F X100 Titleist Vokey SM7 58.08M S400 TaylorMade Spider Tour Black

I mean, im not sure what your definition of "not very good is" but approaches from 50-125 yards the last few years for DJ...

2016- 4th

2017- T12

2018- T15

For sure. But maybe he's referring to this year in which he is an abysmal T180th?

Apart from bad putting, which is hardly new over his career, you can't say it's a technical issue because he has been in the top 6 in six events this season, there's nobody actually playing better in 2019 in terms of consistent excellence.

It's clearly a mental problem on Sunday, with a bit of poor course management thrown in (lame duck caddie hardly helps).

You cannot blame the caddie as he does not hit the shots nor does he make the decisions.

Caddie could offer some resistance, his old caddie tried to give out to him and motivate him at the 2017 Open, and he was fired the next week. Caddie is fine for when it's going well, having his friend on the bag, but don't think he's helping when the round goes astray.

You cannot blame the caddie as he does not hit the shots nor does he make the decisions.

Caddie could offer some resistance, his old caddie tried to give out to him and motivate him at the 2017 Open, and he was fired the next week. Caddie is fine for when it's going well, having his friend on the bag, but don't think he's helping when the round goes astray.

JP fired him up enough to get him making the weekend. The fact Rory didn't like the honesty is a fragility he has to deal with if he wants to win.

I'll give you the GolfWRX answer.

His problems started when he switched from Titleist to Nike (and now TM) and from PX 6.5 to 7.0 shafts. Sure he captures 2 Majors finally with Nike, but it took him forever. Now he's even further down the hole with TM and it isn't getting any better.

Clearly he needs to soften the shafts back up and get back under the Acushnet umbrella.

:derisive:

2016- 4th

2017- T12

2018- T15

For sure. But maybe he's referring to this year in which he is an abysmal T180th?

Correct: 2019 stats -

2016- 4th

2017- T12

2018- T15

Correct: 2019 stats -

I guess, if you want to focus on a couple months with Butch vs the last 3 years or so he has been with him. I wouldnt say a bad couple months erases 3 years or so of excellent work. Lets see where the stats fall at the end of the year maybe? Or even if the trend continues next year? Saying hes a terrible wedge player and the stats back it up just isnt true unless you are taking a 3 month sample and completely ignoring the last 3 years.

Titleist TS3 8.5* Diamana D+ 70X Titleist TS2 15* Diamana D+ 80X Titleist 915 Hd 20.5* Diamana D+ 100X Titleist T100 4-PW X100 Titleist Vokey SM7 50.12F X100 Titleist Vokey SM7 54.14F X100 Titleist Vokey SM7 58.08M S400 TaylorMade Spider Tour Black

I still think his game and mojo started disappearing when that 'Jumeirah' logo left his hat. And as others have said,

he signed that Nike deal. Leaving Titleist right when he was tapping into his mega-talent, was an unnecessary grenade

thrown into the middle of his mind, bag, game. The consistency he was building was shot. For his sake I wish that

deal had come a few years later. When he'd had time to mature as a player and he could handle it.

Saying that, he'll be back in the winner's circle, and soon. Too much talent and want to.

Seems guys Rory like YJS wanted the whole package, money, fame, wife, family and it distracted them from their golf game. If they're happy, good for them, who are we to judge what their priorities in life are. However, if their long term goal was to give Jack or Tiger a run for their Majors victories then they will have to dig even deeper than they did in the past to find that hunger and drive.

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

I think it was Nike giving him $200mil. After that, bye-bye,,,, Rory McIlroy

You do realise he signed with Nike in Jan 2013, the majority of his wins have come since then.

This can be an interesting conversation but some of theories are ill-conceived at best.

[size=2]Titleist 910D3 8.5°
TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]

I guess, if you want to focus on a couple months with Butch vs the last 3 years or so he has been with him. I wouldnt say a bad couple months erases 3 years or so of excellent work. Lets see where the stats fall at the end of the year maybe? Or even if the trend continues next year? Saying hes a terrible wedge player and the stats back it up just isnt true unless you are taking a 3 month sample and completely ignoring the last 3 years.

Not terrible, just not very good. Point taken about the focus on this year, although I can't find a break down of his stats in the prior 3 years. I do recall looking last year at his approach stats and he wasn't very good in some of the approach categories then either. It would be interesting to compare those to the total approach stuff you posted.

Rory is consistent this year, working on shaking off him being more of a streaky player

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* GD AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x 

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

https://www.golfdige...ane-ryan-voices

"Tell me if this sounds familiar: Heading into the final round of the Sentry Tournament of Champions on Sunday, Rory McIlroy stood in second place, just three shots off the lead. He proceeded to shoot 72, which was the worst score of any player in the top 20 (of a 33-man field). Instead of winning, he slipped down the leader board, finishing in a disappointing tie for fourth.

Blur the specifics a little, and you could be talking about any number of recent events. The one that stands out, of course, is the 2018 Masters, when he shot a painful Sunday 74 in the final group to cede the tournament to Patrick Reed. But the list goes on: the Tour Championship, in which he stumbled in Tiger Woods’ shadow, again in the final group, to post a dismal 74; the BMW PGA Championship, where he shot an unimpressive 70 in the final group to finish second despite starting the day as co-leader; the WGC-Bridgestone Invitational, playing (repeat after me) in the final group, and once more blundering his way around the course to fall to sixth and hand Justin Thomas a relatively stress-free victory.

Those are the most egregious examples, but they aren’t the only ones—there are plenty of other tournaments, from the Open Championship to the Dubai Desert Classic to the Dell Technologies Championship, where a good-to-great performance would have put him near victory, and where he could only muster the pedestrian. One of his best Sundays of the year came at the BMW Championship in September … unfortunately, that was because rain canceled play for the day. When the final round resumed on Monday, he stumbled in the last group, failing to erase a slim one-shot deficit as victory eluded him again. By my count, Rory has played in seven final pairings (or threesomes) in the past year, and he hasn’t captured even one of those titles."

"Or, since we live in the age of the conspiracy theory, is he cursed by his ex-fiancée, Caroline Wozniacki, who—long considered a choker herself—won the Australian Open in January 2018 to break a career-long grand slam drought at roughly the exact moment that Rory’s really ugly stretch began?"

That aged well

My thread clearly motivated him ; )

Now,

Summer of Rory!

Ok, pls close, mods.

You know, I actually think it's possible he was aware of it and it led to a little self reflection. I'm sure I'll get nailed for saying it, but honestly I did wonder on some level. I can't think of any reason why these guys wouldn't know when a thread with their name appears in the largest golf forum, and can't imagine they don't care at all what's being said. Not saying it's direct cause and effect, but I do think they probably read some of this stuff and it has to effect them on some level.

[size=2][i]"I see the distorted swings, the hurried rounds, and now the electric carts tae ruin the course and rob us of our exercise...we have gone off the mark, gone after the wrong things, forgotten what it's all about"[/i][/size]

[size=2]-Dr. Julian Sands, Golf in the Kingdom[/size]