Callaway epic flash? is this legit? (New Pics added Pg 1)

kjrules

The other day I ordered a Epic Flash driver and fairway with AD-IZ shafts and was quoted 2 weeks backorder. The clubs shipped the very next day and I'll have them in my hands on Monday. Seems like they're cranking these things out quick.

Same setup for me and it was 7 days, Monday to Monday. Enjoy!

(I think the 3w is the star of the new releases though...)

I agreed about the 3w being a star. Definitely the easiest and straightest 3w I ever hit off the tee and especially off the deck.

Couldnt agree more just hit the 3 wood this weekend. I will be getting one

The SZ 3w is a bomber. It will stay in the bag for a while

Driver: Ping G430 Max 10K Kai'li White 60x

3w: Epic Flash Hzrdus 70x

Hybrid: Cally Apex 19°

4i-Pw: Ping i200 PX 6.0

Wedges: SM9 50° / 54° / 58°

Putter: Cally Ten S

post-465296-0-15568600-1552326113_thumb.jpg

This custom was an xtra 70? Looks great!

Yes, it was an additional $70. When you consider the cost of the club I feel that is a pretty reasonable upcharge for the custom paint and head cover. Callaway has always been great to deal with and this was no exception. Ordered on 3/1 and it was delivered to me on 3/11. Looks even better than I had expected....

The other day I ordered a Epic Flash driver and fairway with AD-IZ shafts and was quoted 2 weeks backorder. The clubs shipped the very next day and I'll have them in my hands on Monday. Seems like they're cranking these things out quick.

Same setup for me and it was 7 days, Monday to Monday. Enjoy!

(I think the 3w is the star of the new releases though...)

I agreed about the 3w being a star. Definitely the easiest and straightest 3w I ever hit off the tee and especially off the deck.

Couldnt agree more just hit the 3 wood this weekend. I will be getting one

The SZ 3w is a bomber. It will stay in the bag for a while

Did you by chance test the F9 Tour fwy?

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T150 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Toulon Portland Garage 
ProV1x

Are you guys seeing a big difference in sound, feel and performance in the Flash compared to the Rogue? Currently playing the Rogue Driver and 4 wood. I like the fact that the FW woods are now adjustable. Is it worth it to switch?

Rogue 10.5* GDIZ 55s
Rogue 17* GDIZ 75s
Titleist H1 3H GDDI 85s
PXG GEN6 0311P 5-GW Aerotech SteelFiber Private Reserve 110S
Vokey SM6 54-S, 58-M NS Pro Modus 105S
Toulon Austin Stroke Lab 34" Putter Pistol Grip

Chrome Soft/ProV1 

Are you guys seeing a big difference in sound, feel and performance in the Flash compared to the Rogue? Currently playing the Rogue Driver and 4 wood. I like the fact that the FW woods are now adjustable. Is it worth it to switch?

Not gaming either, but I was fit into Rogue last season, went to his Flash last night.

Don't think you'll gain much if any distance but having the adjustability can be nice. Unless you specifically like the look of a glued head I don't see a reason why you wouldn't want an adjustable neck. Now.... is that worth the upcharge right now? Only you can decide that one.

The mere fact that a club is adjustable would only be a reason to switch if there’s something about your current club that would be improved by the adjustability. For most people, it’s best to get a club dialed in to the best settings, and then forget it. That, and being able to switch shafts easily are the primary advantages of adjustability. If your Rogue is already a good fit for you, it’s doubtful that you’d see any real performance difference by upgrading.

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
TaylorMade M2 Tour 18*, Fujikura Rombax P95x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x or Tour Issue or Titleist TSi2 21* (set to 20*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x
Cobra King RF Forged MB - 4-PW, KBS C-Taper 120 Stiff
Corey Paul 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

Picked up a flash SZ head for 15% off from the eBay sale yesterday, will hopefully be putting it up against my F9 on trackman this weekend if it gets here in time. Whichever has the higher ball speed will end the driver search for 2019, I can get launch/spin dialed in with shaft and head settings.

Picked up a flash SZ head for 15% off from the eBay sale yesterday, will hopefully be putting it up against my F9 on trackman this weekend if it gets here in time. Whichever has the higher ball speed will end the driver search for 2019, I can get launch/spin dialed in with shaft and head settings.

Remember that some of those other settings and variables can have an effect on ball speed. Especially different shafts.

Remember that some of those other settings and variables can have an effect on ball speed. Especially different shafts.

True - it will be the TPW 60TX in the Cobra and the Synergy Black 60TX in the Flash SZ. Both playing 44.5" and untipped. And I will keep them both at 8*. So it won't be exactly apples to apples. But close enough to make an assessment either way hopefully.

I know on center strikes I have been seeing 2-3 mph more ball speed from the F9 versus my old tour issue Epic SZ (same settings/shafts I mentioned above) on trackman.

Maize and Blue edition found today in Ann Arbor.

Gross :bad:

TaylorMade M2 Tour 18*, Fujikura Rombax P95x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x or Tour Issue or Titleist TSi2 21* (set to 20*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x
Corey Paul 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

I was finally able to hit both the sub zero Driver and 3W in a fitting this week. I gamed the original epic the last couple seasons but it always spun too much for me, and I didn’t like the shaping of the original epic sub zero.

I was pleasantly surprised by the shaping of the flash and thought it resembled the original epic in a lot of ways. The color didn’t bother me at all from address or from looking at the sole, but I can understand why others may not like it. The line on the top was visible, but framed the head nicely and wasn’t distracting.

The moment of truth, the sound. I was inside and hit everything out right now. M5, F9, TS3, ST190 and I didn’t think the sound was noticeable at all. In fact, the only club I noticed the sound on was the TS3.

The performance came down to the ST190 and the Flash. Ball speeds between the 2 were almost identical, and the flash spun slightly less. I went with the flash because it set up so much better to my eye than the ST190, and I like the adjustability of the flash, but that is just preference.

The sub zero 3W was also very impressive against everything else. I used the loft sleeve to open it in a couple degrees so it sat just perfect. Like many have said, I think the real winner is the fairway woods this year. I’ll try to post my numbers later when i get home.

I was finally able to hit both the sub zero Driver and 3W in a fitting this week. I gamed the original epic the last couple seasons but it always spun too much for me, and I didn’t like the shaping of the original epic sub zero.

I was pleasantly surprised by the shaping of the flash and thought it resembled the original epic in a lot of ways. The color didn’t bother me at all from address or from looking at the sole, but I can understand why others may not like it. The line on the top was visible, but framed the head nicely and wasn’t distracting.

The moment of truth, the sound. I was inside and hit everything out right now. M5, F9, TS3, ST190 and I didn’t think the sound was noticeable at all. In fact, the only club I noticed the sound on was the TS3.

The performance came down to the ST190 and the Flash. Ball speeds between the 2 were almost identical, and the flash spun slightly less. I went with the flash because it set up so much better to my eye than the ST190, and I like the adjustability of the flash, but that is just preference.

The sub zero 3W was also very impressive against everything else. I used the loft sleeve to open it in a couple degrees so it sat just perfect. Like many have said, I think the real winner is the fairway woods this year. I’ll try to post my numbers later when i get home.

Congrats...hoping you have same success as I!

jcorna01 wrote:

Maize and Blue edition found today in Ann Arbor.

Gross image/bad.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':bad:' />

Lol, I just had a lesson yesterday, and I'm pretty sure this is my instructor's club.

I did also get a chance to try the Flash SZ on Trackman against my original Epic SZ, and I was very surprised by the results. The Flash SZ absolutely blew away the Epic SZ and the G410 Plus that I recently acquired. The thing that was most surprising is that the Flash SZ spun significantly less than the Epic.  Ball speed was also consistently 2-3 mph faster at the same swing speed. On average, I was getting the following numbers (115 mph average swing speed):

Epic SZ: 167.3 mph, 14.2* launch, 2900 rpm  

Flash SZ: 169.4, 13.5*, 2250

G410+: 162.2, 14.5*, 3200

All three clubs used the same shaft (in the case of the two Callaway heads, the exact same shaft), and I was swinging it well and making solid contact on just about every shot. One other thing I saw that raised my eyebrows was when I hit one thin with the Flash SZ, and I still got ball speed over 165mph (though with high 3000s spin), and I've never seen anything that high on strikes like that. Usually, shots like that top out around 160.  

Yesterday, I hit the Flash SZ quite a bit better than I had previously in the one round that I've played with it, and another couple of range sessions. I set the sliding weight (16g that callaway sent to me to adjust swingweight) toward the toe (about halfway between the center position and the furtherst toward the toe), and that seems to be giving me the little bit of fade bias I need to keep it from going left. 

I'm going to hold onto my original Epic SZ, at least for a while, but the Flash SZ is definitely going to be in my bag to start the year.

> @scratchswinger said:

> Anyone else notice how straight the Flash SZ flies?

Are you gaming it? What shaft?

Titleist TSR3 9* - Ventus TR Blue 6X

Taylormade Stealth 2 15* - Ventus TR Blue 8X

Callaway Apex UW 19* - Ventus TR Blue 8X

Titleist T200 4i - Axiom 105X

Titleist T100 5-PW KBS Tour 130X
Titleist Vokey SM9 Raw 50/56/60 - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Circle T Tour Rat Newport

> @Judge440 said:

> > @scratchswinger said:

> > Anyone else notice how straight the Flash SZ flies?

> Are you gaming it? What shaft?

I tested on trackman against everything, ordered it with a Graphite Design VR7 on the spot. I was extremely impressed with how straight it was even on misshits.

• Like 1

I played my second round with the Flash SZ today and am really impressed. I found myself in places I never have been, gained at least 20 meters over my Nike. The head - shaft combination seems to suit my swing, and I have a lot of confidence from the tee-box. But the best part is the forgiveness. I hit one thin and I lost only a few meters, in fact I could not believe to find my ball in the spot it finished...

• 1 year later...

I think he’s right. You can’t really hear a driver until it’s outside, the hitting bay echoes and reverberates frequencies, it’s very hard to hear the real sound. You may be able to compare different sounds, but none of them will sound exactly like they do when you finally get outside. the fact that the epic didn’t hurt your ears outside, but did inside is the exact point. Until you get outside, you can’t “know” if it’s going to sound ok.