Goal: +3 Next Summer

stunted

You're steep, w/ no unfold of right arm and body is off plane and extended to compensate, I would say there's plenty wrong and the mentality that short game is a "band aid" is even more off.

Thanks for taking a look. Not too sure what you mean though, clarification would be appreciated.

As for short game, I could be wrong. But the biggest thing separating us and the pros is the long game, so I believe that's the most important. Plus long game mistakes can really balloon scores, whereas it's limited with the short game. Focusing more on short game is like a football team wanting to focus more on field goals. Yea it's nice to have, but the winners score touchdowns.

Swing and a miss Maybe Skytrack should implement a golf knowledge section you have to complete between shots.

Sadly you aren't alone in your thinking.

if there's not much else wrong with my swing, how do i get my right upper arm more perpendicular with the ground? yes i realize the rest of my game sucks atm, i would probably average five 3-putts a round. i still am firm of my belief that short game is still a band-aid for a bad long game, so i want to get good at the 80% that matters before focusing on the 20%. and i know analytics backs it up. i still have a ways to go for the long game, driver especially.

Wrong question. You should be asking how you can learn to score. Hint: it's not to be found in a simulator.

You laugh (as do I), but it's partially true. :-)

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

I've already called dibs on the OP's Skytrak. Not that it matters, this is a well done troll. OP has gotten 5 pages and disappeared. These guys are getting good.

This is no troll, I'm still grinding away. But too much negativity and gatekeeping in here for what's supposed to be a supportive community.

OK Mom?

The thing that separates us from the pro's is everything. Like no joke, everything. Driver-putter...everything. No question you can improve on Skytrak. Having goals is a good thing. Realistic goals are even better. Let me tell you your future. One word, frustration. To the point you quit the game for a while. Until you can get your mind wrapped around how good a +3 actually is at everything (and how bad you are currently), you are just going to get bitter and frustrated. Oh and you will probably start getting cats as pets. Lots and lots of cats.

if there's not much else wrong with my swing, how do i get my right upper arm more perpendicular with the ground? yes i realize the rest of my game sucks atm, i would probably average five 3-putts a round. i still am firm of my belief that short game is still a band-aid for a bad long game, so i want to get good at the 80% that matters before focusing on the 20%. and i know analytics backs it up. i still have a ways to go for the long game, driver especially.

Have you ever tracked your real stats? When I say "real" I mean playing every shot, no mulligans, no improved lies, no breakfast, lunch or dinner balls. I practice 6-sigma for a living and what you are saying above is the antithesis to that. Track: FW, GIR, up & down % and putts for (10) 18 hole rounds. I say 18 because there's not enough pressure for 9 holes especially if you start out bad. Come back here then tell us the results. THAT will tell you what you realistically need to work on. Long game is very important but I wouldn't start there. Not by any means. I made a thread a while back about how I improved from 10 to scratch and this is how I gauged where I needed to work on my game. However, the very first thing I had to do was get realistic about my game and check my ego at the door because I really wasn't a 10. More like a 12-15. It took me 5 YEARS to get to scratch...

Hogan's Secret.......it's in plain sight but not for everyone...
https://6sigmagolfrx.com/
2017 Taylormade M2 9.5 (set at 10.5) w/ Diamana S+ Blueboard 60 S
2010 Tour Edge Exotics XCG3 3W w/Fujikura Motore S 15 deg
2014 Taylormade SLDR S HL 3W 17deg Fujikura Speeder 65 R, shortened
2017 Tour Edge Exotics 3H UST Mamiya 670 S
2009 Callaway Xforged 3i w/ KBS tour S
2012 Cobra Amp Forged 4-GW w/ Fujikura Pro i95 S
2013 Miura forged 54 & 58 wedges - w/ DG Tour issue S
Ping Cadence Rustler Traditional putter

Have you ever tracked your real stats? When I say "real" I mean playing every shot, no mulligans, no improved lies, no breakfast, lunch or dinner balls. I practice 6-sigma for a living and what you are saying above is the antithesis to that. Track: FW, GIR, up & down % and putts for (10) 18 hole rounds. I say 18 because there's not enough pressure for 9 holes especially if you start out bad. Come back here then tell us the results. THAT will tell you what you realistically need to work on. Long game is very important but I wouldn't start there. Not by any means. I made a thread a while back about how I improved from 10 to scratch and this is how I gauged where I needed to work on my game. However, the very first thing I had to do was get realistic about my game and check my ego at the door because I really wasn't a 10. More like a 12-15. It took me 5 YEARS to get to scratch...

Where is that thread you started and your approach to scratch?

Driver: Cobra LTD Pro 7.5o - Kuro Kage DC XT 70 TX - Tipped 1"

UDI: 2019 TaylorMade P790 2i

Irons: 3-PW: Srixon z745 with Modus 130x

Wedges: 52o/56o/60o - Cleveland RTX4s

Putter: Ping Kushin 4

I just found this thread......You may not get to +3, but you did accomplish one thing. For the first time in 11 years on the forum, I am speechless and have no idea what to say......I figure some will thank you for that.

So you just had to post to say you had nothing to say ? :D

Guess this thread is now officially,,,,,,,,,, ummmmmm,,,,,,,,,,,,, stunted. :lol:

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

• 3 months later...

The thing that separates us from the pro's is everything. Like no joke, everything. Driver-putter...everything. No question you can improve on Skytrak. Having goals is a good thing. Realistic goals are even better. Let me tell you your future. One word, frustration. To the point you quit the game for a while. Until you can get your mind wrapped around how good a +3 actually is at everything (and how bad you are currently), you are just going to get bitter and frustrated. Oh and you will probably start getting cats as pets. Lots and lots of cats.

I stumbled upon this thread on accident a few weeks back. Took me some time to read thru the original thread and then this one ... incredibly entertaining! But also really sad. A lot of people started off trying to steer this guy in the right direction, only to give up.

Stunted: the comment from Rich S is probably the truest thing I have read. Question - Do you actually know any other golfers playing to a +3? I don't mean that as an insult; I am genuinely asking.

If you don't, then go find one or two ... and then go play a couple rounds with them (if they will let you join). Even if you just walk behind them, or carry their clubs for free, or ride in a cart and don't touch your clubs ... just watch them play an entire round. It should be eye-opening and will likely change your perspective.

FWIW - my brother is very good at golf (like - he plays on Tour and has kept his card for 7+ years now. He's not a superstar or featured in TV Commercials, but you would know his name and he's proven he belongs on that level. He doesn't carry a handicap ... but I asked him last night, and if he had to guess, he said maybe a +6?). I only share that to add credibility to the perspective/insight I offer you: +3 is not something that most of us can ever achieve. Even my brother says that +3 has to be insanely good in all phases of the game. And the reality / crappy truth is this: 99% of us can never get to +3 ... even if we REALLY REALLY REALLY wanted to.

More importantly ... most of us don't actually want to (and I don't think you do either). Why??? ... Because it is an enormous commitment. And I don't mean "a few hours each evening" commitment. Again, using my own brother as an example here, but I can't count how many holidays/birthdays/family-events that he had to miss because he was practicing, or traveling to a tournament, or playing an event. To get to that level, golf is not a game you play ... it becomes who you are. The reality is that maintaining that level of consistent play likely means quitting your job, neglecting your family, and forgoing a social life. Oh - and you still have to be insanely talented and dedicated to finely tuning the tiniest of details in your game.

My brother's advice to you: play as many rounds of golf as you can each week ... and make sure that every one of them is for meaningful stakes (money, or something that matters). If you're not on the course, live on and around the putting green. Putt until your back hurts from bending, and then head back to the course for another 9 holes.

My advice to you: get super realistic about what a +3 means ... and maybe consider tweaking your goals to reflect a better golf/life balance ... and not put so much pressure on yourself to be something that so few of us can actually ever become (if we even wanted to). I'm a 15 handicap. I love golf. But I love so many other things in life as well. Having seen what it takes to a plus-handicap, I'm happier teeing it up with my buddies (and my brother too) whenever I can ... and enjoying every minute of it. But I don't want to live out there.

And yeah, I totally wish I could stick a 9-iron to within 15 feet from 170 yards ... every time. But I don't have the talent that most +3 guys have ... and I know for a fact that I don't want to put in the work they do. I'd much rather grab a beer after a round ... and not head back to the practice green to work on those 15 footers. :-)

Best of luck to you Stunted ... and please get off the range!

I stumbled upon this thread on accident a few weeks back. Took me some time to read thru the original thread and then this one ... incredibly entertaining! But also really sad. A lot of people started off trying to steer this guy in the right direction, only to give up.

Stunted: the comment from Rich S is probably the truest thing I have read. Question - Do you actually know any other golfers playing to a +3? I don't mean that as an insult; I am genuinely asking.

If you don't, then go find one or two ... and then go play a couple rounds with them (if they will let you join). Even if you just walk behind them, or carry their clubs for free, or ride in a cart and don't touch your clubs ... just watch them play an entire round. It should be eye-opening and will likely change your perspective.

FWIW - my brother is very good at golf (like - he plays on Tour and has kept his card for 7+ years now. He's not a superstar or featured in TV Commercials, but you would know his name and he's proven he belongs on that level. He doesn't carry a handicap ... but I asked him last night, and if he had to guess, he said maybe a +6?). I only share that to add credibility to the perspective/insight I offer you: +3 is not something that most of us can ever achieve. Even my brother says that +3 has to be insanely good in all phases of the game. And the reality / crappy truth is this: 99% of us can never get to +3 ... even if we REALLY REALLY REALLY wanted to.

More importantly ... most of us don't actually want to (and I don't think you do either). Why??? ... Because it is an enormous commitment. And I don't mean "a few hours each evening" commitment. Again, using my own brother as an example here, but I can't count how many holidays/birthdays/family-events that he had to miss because he was practicing, or traveling to a tournament, or playing an event. To get to that level, golf is not a game you play ... it becomes who you are. The reality is that maintaining that level of consistent play likely means quitting your job, neglecting your family, and forgoing a social life. Oh - and you still have to be insanely talented and dedicated to finely tuning the tiniest of details in your game.

My brother's advice to you: play as many rounds of golf as you can each week ... and make sure that every one of them is for meaningful stakes (money, or something that matters). If you're not on the course, live on and around the putting green. Putt until your back hurts from bending, and then head back to the course for another 9 holes.

My advice to you: get super realistic about what a +3 means ... and maybe consider tweaking your goals to reflect a better golf/life balance ... and not put so much pressure on yourself to be something that so few of us can actually ever become (if we even wanted to). I'm a 15 handicap. I love golf. But I love so many other things in life as well. Having seen what it takes to a plus-handicap, I'm happier teeing it up with my buddies (and my brother too) whenever I can ... and enjoying every minute of it. But I don't want to live out there.

And yeah, I totally wish I could stick a 9-iron to within 15 feet from 170 yards ... every time. But I don't have the talent that most +3 guys have ... and I know for a fact that I don't want to put in the work they do. I'd much rather grab a beer after a round ... and not head back to the practice green to work on those 15 footers. :-)

That’s awesome insight. I remember reading this thread a few months back and always wondered if there were any updates as I couldn’t find it. But this is truly one of the best posts on here really outlining the magnitude of how good a + cap is, let alone a tour pro like your brother. And cheers to you for being content with your own game in comparison to your brother’s. I’ll assume he’s your older brother because if it was me, and my younger brother was a pro, I’d probably drive myself insane trying to beat him at something - longest drive, putting, wedges - just one thing to say “gotcha”! Good stuff though, seriously.

Here's an example of what a +3 can be capable of. Certainly not every day but...a +2.8 at my club so in the +3 realm... former college player... His group recently played the up men's tees, a hair over 6600 yards... And fired a smooth 61. 71.4/127. So not the longest and hardest tees but still...A FREAKING 61 ?!?!?!?!

It never ceases to amaze me the talented players that are out there that never even sniffed the pro level.

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

As someone that was a +3 back in college, and now play to about a 2, I can tell you I hit the ball infinitely better now than I did then. But now I play mostly with buddies where I fire at pins, take riskier lines because I’m not playing competitively anymore. But my wedge game was impeccable, short game was deadly (felt like I chipped in once a round) and I was very confident in my putter.

I didn’t hit it in trouble, but I definitely clanked it around, it was a running hole back then. Long story short, you’re search for the perfect swing will have a slower impact, I talk with my students now, and always ask if they truly understand how good a pros short game is. Because if you’re gonna get there that is easily the most important part.

Much of what you say here is on the money. However....

I took up golf when I was 20. I was a baseball player in college, and a good one. I was good enough to play A-ball for sure, maybe even AA. I hurt my shoulder my sophomore year in college and decided to take up golf. I had played maybe 10 or 20 times in high school, and I loved it. My thinking was: "Hell, I was good enough to play professional baseball, why not do it in golf. See how good I can get."

So that's what I did. Like the initial poster, my goal was to get deep into plus territory.

I've told this story many times on this board, so I won't bore you with the details, but it took me about four years to get into plus territory and about 5 or 6(?) to get to my low index ever, +3.5. I never turned professional because I had a wife and kids and a full time job, and I knew I was never going to be good enough to make a living. But I got there (and stayed there for quite some time) and have the tournament scores to prove it.

Bottom line, I'm a nobody with some solid hand-eye coordination and an understanding of how the body needs to move to swing a club at a target (baseball, golf), and I figured it out for myself. But it all started with that initial goal. Without "daring to care" about my game and getting into serious plus territory, it would have never happened.

So for anyone who has a solid athletic background and has proven that they can make center-face contact very quickly upon taking up the game, I say go for it. Challenge yourself. Put it out there and DO IT.

What else are you going to do? Work more?

Golf is the single greatest game ever. Embrace it and see how good you can get.

That's my advice to anyone who has any kind of innate ability.

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

How about scratch first and then +3. +3 TAKES A LOT OF MAINTENANCE. LIKE PLAY OR PRACTICE 5x/WEEK+ USUALLY.

Yep, spot on, as a +2.8, I played 4-5 competitive money games a week and was on the short game area/putting green, 6-7 days a week, and when it rained, I was at my range(I sold shortly after I got sick) hitting from a covered bay. I never missed a day my last year in the game from April 1st though mid-October where I wasn’t either Playing for money, Playing in a tourney, or at the short game area and/or putting green.

Granted, I was single, however Nathan Smith(+4.2) was/is married with a family and he spent every bit the time that I did both on the line and on the course, no less than 6-7 days/week.

Nathan didn’t sniff the cut line in the three Nationwide/Web.com events that he received a Sponsor’s Exemption into, nor did he ever make the cut at his four Masters, with his best showing being two strokes outside the line.

Hats off to ya Bro and all the Best in your quest and journey!!

Fairways & Greens 4ever My Friend

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

THIS is absolutely the finest post that I have read on this subject since coming on the board. Prior to this, that honor for such a post belonged to Isaac, who, like Ty the dog’s owner(WTF, I can’t remeber your UN, much less use it in a post?), chased the dream, beating the ball for more hours in a day than all but the busiest surgeon’s worked, slept 4-6 guys to a room traveling across the country playing the satellites and minis, and he hit till his hands bled.

Oh, and last year across a 6700+ track, he threw down a 62 Playin for money.

Unlike Ty the dog’s owner, or his owner’ Bro, or whomeverTF he is, Isaac never made the Show, but he’s still throwin low 60’s from 6700+ yards.

Then ya got Patrick Burke on the board, who spent just shy of a decade in the Show, until a bad shoulder injury, from which he has never recovered, ended his career.

Just like that~

?BOOM?

OVER!!

Anyhoo, amazing spot on post Ty’s owner!!!

You nailed it Brother~

Oh yea, this is my rescue mutt named Hunter(top 2 pics), that we call our “toy” Rottie as he’s less than half the size of my Big Dog, Brandy(bottom 2 pics)?

They’re idiots, like their owner, but they love Madison and Brandy lays behind her when she has evening lessons, lol

If ya have the time, please post more?

All the Best,

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

It’s s long way from 3 to +3.

If he does it, it’ll be the longest six strokes of his life?

Great post BP!!

Cheers?

RP

You received some really, really, good suggestions in your other thread.

Your issue is that you don't want to listen to suggestions of instructors and players that have been there and done that. Hell, you even have one guy willing to bet you won't make it to scratch.

THIS is what bothers me the most~

I have read the whole spiel and he’s had the cream of the crop in the golfing world, forget this, the largest board on earth, and I can’t for the life of me figure out if it intellectual ignorance, infantile immaturity or just plain moronic mindlessness, however I’m astounded at the “talent” that has taken the time to offer incredibly valuable pearls and insight and here is someone that hasn’t accomplished s***, and they’re rationalizing and dropping dime store cliches instead of looking at and taking in the words of wisdom.

I’m speaking to those that have “been there done that,” along with the Teachers.

I just hope that the right individual sees these two threads, reads through them and mines the gold that is within these pages and uses it to take their game to the next level!!

Oh, one word~

?MENTAL?

Great points and post JJ?

Have a great season?

RP

LOL, just reread the trolling thread starter here and was trying to figure out what disease or conditon the OP has

I think he has a lot of narcissistic characteristics -- he's basically feeding off these legitimately good golfers who are in here entertaining his nonsense

Yea, most of those at the top of their fields, whether it be business or athletics, a Fortune 10 CEO or Top-10 Golfer in the world, a Transplant Surgeon or Michael, a million dollar model or Tiger, doesn’t matter, as studies have shown that one, at the very top, in the fiercest competitive environment, whether it be that transplant surgeon walking into an OR theatre, A Navy SEAL walking into the black of night, Tiger walking onto the first tee or Natalie Ogg walking onto a runway, that having a healthy dose of narcissistic behavioral characteristics is extremely beneficial, especially when those who do not possess these traits begin to doubt themselves, even the slightest, and at the highest levels, against the best of the best, whether it be millions of dollars on the line, or one’s or others’ lives on the line, I want the guy or gal that not only has zero doubt about their ability to perform, while others are programmed to survive these individuals are programmed to thrive.

Narcissistic behavioral trates are usually borne out of successful experience(s), and at least on the golf course, this kid has none. I’ve always said that the Internet and the virtual world is where mice can play “man” and children can play “adult.”

He hasn’t even competed in a legitimate tourney for chrissakes??

Narcissist???

No friggin way, lol

He hasn’t achieved anything to have that type of personality IN THE REAL WORLD!!

Delusional????

Now, ya got my attention, lol

Stay well Gents?

RP