2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Leaving the pin in fundamentally changes the game!

manku

Too early for proof and it doesn't matter. I haven't convinced you or some others that having an option to leave the flag in where once before you could not is an advantage and I'm done trying. You do realize though that the first time you, or those who believe it isn't an advantage, leave the flag in on a slippery down hill six footer and your intent is to use the flag stick to your benefit, you've conceded the argument that it isn't an advantage.

I feel pretty confident in saying that future matches/rounds/scores will have outcomes that wouldn't have been possible prior to the rule change and I don't believe that was the original intent of the ruling bodies when they made the change.

I would add that I have seen time savings just from the longer putts. Before you had to have someone ready to tend the pin, now you can just go ahead and go.

Ah. So the potential time saved during a round outweighs the potential advantage gained during a round.

Annnnnnnnnnnnd, we've come full circle,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :rofl:

BreakableMerryHypacrosaurus-size_restricted.gif

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah. So the potential time saved during a round outweighs the potential advantage gained during a round.

Sure, potentially time can be saved on the golf course in a myriad of ways. Better management by the course operator.... All of the players taking lessons... All of the players being properly fit for clubs-and being properly fit themselves.... Playing ready golf..... Walking faster (could refer back to the fit part)... Unattractive cart girls....

Some of those would also carry a potential advantage to scoring....:)

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

Sure, potentially time can be saved on the golf course in a myriad of ways. Better management by the course operator.... All of the players taking lessons... All of the players being properly fit for clubs-and being properly fit themselves.... Playing ready golf..... Walking faster (could refer back to the fit part)... Unattractive cart girls....

Some of those would also carry a potential advantage to scoring.... :)

That's a good list however none of the things you mentioned involve a rule change.

That's a good list however none of the things you mentioned involve a rule change.

[media=]

[/media]

Titleist Pro V1X

Well, now you only have 3 minutes to find and identify your ball, instead of five. How many strokes do we think will be ADDED to scores due to the two minute difference? Here we have a potential disadvantage, related to a rule change centered around pace.

These things happen to an evolving game, and generally they are insignificant.

run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

I had my first negative encounter with the new flagstick rule yesterday - Got rejected on a 20-footer, where the ball would almost surely have gone in without the flagstick, as it really wasn't going very fast. Our greens are freshly sanded after aeration, so leaving the flag in seems to be the correct move, it just didn't turn out that way on this one. Of course, on the next hole, I hit a putt that was tracking toward the hole, when like a foot from going in, it bounced a good 45 degrees to the right after it struck a stone that was half-buried in the sand. I guess the lesson I learned was, don't bother taking putting seriously on sanded greens.

D - Ping G430 LST 9-degree, Kai'li 60S
3W - Ping G400 Stretch 13-degree, Alta 65S

5W - Ping G425 17.5-degree, Alta 65S
Hy - Ping G400 22-degree, Alta 70S
5-U - Ping i230, Aerotech Steelfiber i95
54- Ping Glide Pro Forged
59- Ping Glide Pro Forged Eye toe
P - Scotty Cameron Teryllium T22 Fastback 1.5

Well, now you only have 3 minutes to find and identify your ball, instead of five. How many strokes do we think will be ADDED to scores due to the two minute difference? Here we have a potential disadvantage, related to a rule change centered around pace.

These things happen to an evolving game, and generally they are insignificant.

You are the first person I've heard bring up the rule change in the amount of time allotted to identify a ball as a concern. You seem to be suggesting a potential disadvantage and then imply the rule is insignificant to strokes added to ones score.

If that is your point, I would agree.

I had my first negative encounter with the new flagstick rule yesterday - Got rejected on a 20-footer, where the ball would almost surely have gone in without the flagstick, as it really wasn't going very fast. Our greens are freshly sanded after aeration, so leaving the flag in seems to be the correct move, it just didn't turn out that way on this one. Of course, on the next hole, I hit a putt that was tracking toward the hole, when like a foot from going in, it bounced a good 45 degrees to the right after it struck a stone that was half-buried in the sand. I guess the lesson I learned was, don't bother taking putting seriously on sanded greens.

Wait wait wait... So it's actually a potential disadvantage? Hmm. :)

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

Over the weekend I saw my first pin rejection. My son had a 20' that caught the pin on a glancing blow and caused it to deflect and catch the lip and then lip out. It was very interesting. We both saw it happen and just stared for a sec, and the wheels were turning. We both agree that leaving the flag at distance is helpful for lag putting, but after seeing that, it gave us pause on what we would do 20' and in. I still like the flag in, especially in casual rounds but he plays for his college and it caused him to reconsider leaving it in at closer range during tournaments.

Over the weekend I saw my first pin rejection. My son had a 20' that caught the pin on a glancing blow and caused it to deflect and catch the lip and then lip out. It was very interesting. We both saw it happen and just stared for a sec, and the wheels were turning. We both agree that leaving the flag at distance is helpful for lag putting, but after seeing that, it gave us pause on what we would do 20' and in. I still like the flag in, especially in casual rounds but he plays for his college and it caused him to reconsider leaving it in at closer range during tournaments.

On the low side ? My observations have caused me to conclude that this can and will happen on the low side more often than the high side (gravity and all).

Problem is though, that while we "swear" it would have gone in (or stayed out for that matter), there's no way to know for sure,,,,,,, :dntknw:

Titleist Pro V1X

Yes, I agree with the OP. It fundamentally changed the game back in 1968. Quite unnecessary.

It was introduced by the R&A to the benefit of elite players, a very small minority esp. in those days with very little media coverage.

The USGA? Well I couldn't possibly comment.

Out of curiosity, I wonder how adding a penalty situation benefits the elite player. Do you have any insight as to that?

Sorry for the late reply, I've been away.

As I remember the issue of penalty wasn't discussed between us at any rate.

The reason given that I heard was something about leaving the flag in infringed equity and fairness in some way and introduced chance into the deal. We all thought it was B****cks at the time, as it is now imo.

Yes, I agree with the OP. It fundamentally changed the game back in 1968. Quite unnecessary.

It was introduced by the R&A to the benefit of elite players, a very small minority esp. in those days with very little media coverage.

The USGA? Well I couldn't possibly comment.

Out of curiosity, I wonder how adding a penalty situation benefits the elite player. Do you have any insight as to that?

Sorry for the late reply, I've been away.

As I remember the issue of penalty wasn't discussed between us at any rate.

The reason given that I heard was something about leaving the flag in infringed equity and fairness in some way and introduced chance into the deal. We all thought it was B****cks at the time, as it is now imo.

That's an interesting comment (I know it wasn't you). It seems that equity, treating similar situations similarly, would be unaffected. Whether the falgstick could be left in or had to be removed offered every player the identical choices, how could it be more fair?. And chance is always part of the deal in golf. Ah well, the rules are what they are, we'll see how it works out.

i have to say -- i've experimented a bit over the first few rounds this season and have come up with a reasonable plan this season for whether i decide to leave it in, or out.

- if the putt is something i believe i can REASONABLY make -- i take the pin out.

- if the putt is outside the realm of reasonably making it -- i leave it in.

while i know that makes no sense b/c we should always believe we can make everything - i'm a realist. outside 20-25' or so and i'm realistically trying to leave myself the 3' circle.

PING G430 LST / 9* (dialed to 10.5*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Dark Speed LS / 3w (dialed to 15.5*) / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

i have to say -- i've experimented a bit over the first few rounds this season and have come up with a reasonable plan this season for whether i decide to leave it in, or out.

- if the putt is something i believe i can REASONABLY make -- i take the pin out.

while i know that makes no sense b/c we should always believe we can make everything - i'm a realist. outside 20-25' or so and i'm realistically trying to leave myself the 3' circle.

This is becoming my approach. The other justification, on shorter putts I can control my distance reasonably well. Putts with good speed don't need much assistance from the flagstick. Longer putts are the ones where I'm more likely to hit it significantly too hard, and its on the "too hard" putts that the flagstick is most likely to help. Either it helps the ball go in, or helps it to stay closer. If I accidentally hit the hole, of course, which isn't all that often from 20 feet or more.

This is becoming my approach. The other justification, on shorter putts I can control my distance reasonably well. Putts with good speed don't need much assistance from the flagstick. Longer putts are the ones where I'm more likely to hit it significantly too hard, and its on the "too hard" putts that the flagstick is most likely to help. Either it helps the ball go in, or helps it to stay closer. If I accidentally hit the hole, of course, which isn't all that often from 20 feet or more.

i was going to type that but...figured i'd get a TLDR haha our speed control confidence and outlook is very much the same.

PING G430 LST / 9* (dialed to 10.5*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Dark Speed LS / 3w (dialed to 15.5*) / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

From my personal experienceI have now concluded leaving the pin in saves a foursome about 12-15minutes a round, but the difficulty of taking a ball out of the hole with the pin in adds 5 minutes. So a net of 7-10minutes.

:lol:

Even the 80-somethings I sometimes play with are having no trouble at all picking the ball out of the hole, with the pin still in, using the index and middle finger "pinch". ;)

Titleist Pro V1X

After another 3 weeks of Florida golf I have adopted the same approach. I take the pin out 6' and closer otherwise I leave it in.

I'm more concerned by some new side effects of the rule, guys trying to use ball removers without pulling the flag. Older guys and lazy ones seem to have grown tired of pulling the flag and using the prongs at the end of their grip to retrieve their ball, they now wedge the grip between the hole and flag to pull out their ball which does all sorts of damage to the hole, almost every time causing a volcano effect on the side they pull the ball out from. This costs more time as someone now has walk up to the flag just to tap down the edges of the hole to ensure the ball can roll in unobstructed.

It also seems to result in more gimmes as it seems many in Florida don't like trying to retrieve their ball from the hole with the flag in, so they sweep the ball away within 3' of the hole. It will be interesting to see what the overall impact on handicap will be with this rule.

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

After another 3 weeks of Florida golf I have adopted the same approach. I take the pin out 6' and closer otherwise I leave it in.

I'm more concerned by some new side effects of the rule, guys trying to use ball removers without pulling the flag. Older guys and lazy ones seem to have grown tired of pulling the flag and using the prongs at the end of their grip to retrieve their ball, they now wedge the grip between the hole and flag to pull out their ball which does all sorts of damage to the hole, almost every time causing a volcano effect on the side they pull the ball out from. This costs more time as someone now has walk up to the flag just to tap down the edges of the hole to ensure the ball can roll in unobstructed.

It also seems to result in more gimmes as it seems many in Florida don't like trying to retrieve their ball from the hole with the flag in, so they sweep the ball away within 3' of the hole. It will be interesting to see what the overall impact on handicap will be with this rule.

Interesting. There really just isn’t any way to anticipate all the “side effects” a change can have is there?

• 1 month later...

I’ve played 4 times this year and putts within 15 feet I remove the flag. I’ve had some longer putts that I’ve left in. Here’s the thing,,, why would anyone leave it in the hole? Back stop to a speeding golf ball?,,, ok when it hits the stick and ricochets 15 feet your still going to 3 putt. I’ve watched guys bang them off the flag now for a few rounds and I’m tired of it already. Take the flag out.

> @cardoustie said:

>

> And I'm also guessing the pin gets splatted a whole lot less on greens as well, plus less chances of tearing up cup edges

The pin getting splatted on the green is one of my biggest pet peeves. I've started a couple of threads about this topic complete with pictures of the tracks it leaves on the green for the people who play late in the day. The tracks can really alter a putt if you have to putt down one of them.

Titleist 915 D2 60gX Rogue Silver
Titleist 906F2 13* ProForce V2 90gX
Titleist 690mb 2-P 6.0PX
Titleist Vokey 52* and 58*
SeeMore FPG Putter

Stats prove otherwise. Pin in helps more putts/chips struck at a reasonable speed. We just tend to remember the rejections a lot more.

Callaway XR16 SubZero Aldila Rogue I/O 70X
Callaway Apex Utility Wood 19* Fujikura Ventus TR Red 60
Callaway UT 18* KBS C-Taper X
Titleist 818 H2 21*
Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW KBS DG X100
Vokey SM7 52* F
Vokey SM7 58* D
Sizemore XB-1

> @3jacker said:

> Stats prove otherwise. Pin in helps more putts/chips struck at a reasonable speed. We just tend to remember the rejections a lot more.

Actually that is not true based on the various studies myself and others have read about. I have yet to see a definitive test which accounts for the correct putt speeds, green speeds, approach angle, slope, flag type, etc... . There have been multiple studies supporting an advantage and multiple studies showing disadvantages. None were comprehensive. If you can point out a comprehensive test then point it out to the forum.

I have a couple studies at my fingertips but know that by using the term "comprehensive" this will never end.

Callaway XR16 SubZero Aldila Rogue I/O 70X
Callaway Apex Utility Wood 19* Fujikura Ventus TR Red 60
Callaway UT 18* KBS C-Taper X
Titleist 818 H2 21*
Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW KBS DG X100
Vokey SM7 52* F
Vokey SM7 58* D
Sizemore XB-1

The ability to have the flag tended is the same 'visual aid' that it has always been. So leaving it in in long putts has changed very little. I'm sure at the end of the year the PGA putting stats will not show a huge advantage on putts made from long distance as the percentages are already fairly low.

For the casual golfer I doubt there will be a huge impact on anything other than a possible pace of play increase. I just dont see it being a huge change either way.

My BIL belongs to a fairly large club in the Houston area. The club has always been emphatic about pace of play and has been pretty insistent on leaving the flag in. My BIL is one of a large group that plays a multi foursome money game. He says they have cut 20-25 minutes off their rounds by leaving the flag in place. The reason is that with the flag always in, a group in the fairway can shoot their distances while a group is still on the green, so as soon as the group clears, everyone is good to go. I hadn't thought of it, but it makes sense.

> @"T.B." said:

> I’ve played 4 times this year and putts within 15 feet I remove the flag. I’ve had some longer putts that I’ve left in. Here’s the thing,,, why would anyone leave it in the hole? Back stop to a speeding golf ball?,,, ok when it hits the stick and ricochets 15 feet your still going to 3 putt. I’ve watched guys bang them off the flag now for a few rounds and I’m tired of it already. Take the flag out.

Lol. Whoever is banging the pin on putts and having the ball ricochet 15 ft needs some putting help haha.