2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***) (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION ***)

Well, we bought a new Vitamix A2300 + extra containers/blades. Just over $500 for it all. Cobi is excited. It should

be here in a few days. Well, I'm excited too.

Cobi saw the demo of this machine at Costco and that's what got her fired up. She called Vitamix for more info and

wound up buying it directly from them as they made her a sweet package deal and free shipping.

Radster we have had one for a long time. We use it to make a protein shake on work days for a quick breakfast. 2 scoops of Costco chocolate whey protein powder, ice and water, frozen banana pieces, a scoop of natural peanut butter, a little psyllium husk powder (good for seniors) Unsweetened Cocoa powder (to make it taste like real chocolate) some hemp hearts, some flax seed. It makes a pretty good chocolate shake for two that sticks with you. It's not low calorie but pretty healthy.

That sounds good! It seems we're late to the Vitamix party......better late than never! :)

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition Driver 10.5 w/TFC 50D

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition 3W 16 w/TFC 50F

Ping Rapture V2 5W 19 w/TFC 939F

Ping G410 Hybrid 22 w/Accra FX 2.0 

Callaway RAZR X 5-SW w/Callaway Steel Uniflex

Ping Gorge Tour 60 Lob Wedge w/KBS Wedge

SLED Gemini

Two Days ago when I started moving around in the morning, the back of my left heel was extreemly sore, thought it could be gout treated it as normal to no avail. Doctors this morning said it looked like torn Achilles’ tendon so Thursday I am having X-ray and ultra sound to properly check it out. Up to six months treatment depending on the severity.

Today it was very hot again, the cooler weather and rain has gone, back to 100+ for the next week. Problem is the air conditioning broke down yesterday, it’s going to be expensive to fix so we are leaving it till later, fans around the house on full bore thankfully it’s expected to cool down by Saturday

Take care Grillers I am off to sleep.

I can give you some of our chill if you give me some of your warmth...

Two Days ago when I started moving around in the morning, the back of my left heel was extreemly sore, thought it could be gout treated it as normal to no avail. Doctors this morning said it looked like torn Achilles’ tendon so Thursday I am having X-ray and ultra sound to properly check it out. Up to six months treatment depending on the severity.

Today it was very hot again, the cooler weather and rain has gone, back to 100+ for the next week. Problem is the air conditioning broke down yesterday, it’s going to be expensive to fix so we are leaving it till later, fans around the house on full bore thankfully it’s expected to cool down by Saturday

Take care Grillers I am off to sleep.

I can give you some of our chill if you give me some of your warmth...

Bring it on Hank, cool will be welcome.

Way down under in (not New Orleans) Australia.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Kindly donated by mdgboxx and worn with pride

A definite geezer of some repute, ( I think ).

Well, we bought a new Vitamix A2300 + extra containers/blades. Just over $500 for it all. Cobi is excited. It should

Cobi saw the demo of this machine at Costco and that's what got her fired up. She called Vitamix for more info and

wound up buying it directly from them as they made her a sweet package deal and free shipping.

Radster we have had one for a long time. We use it to make a protein shake on work days for a quick breakfast. 2 scoops of Costco chocolate whey protein powder, ice and water, frozen banana pieces, a scoop of natural peanut butter, a little psyllium husk powder (good for seniors) Unsweetened Cocoa powder (to make it taste like real chocolate) some hemp hearts, some flax seed. It makes a pretty good chocolate shake for two that sticks with you. It's not low calorie but pretty healthy.

That sounds good! It seems we're late to the Vitamix party......better late than never! :)

We quit buying big bunches of bananas at Costco when all the girls left home. Just too many for two of us .........until we started the breakfast shakes. Now we buy them and as they ripen we break them into pieces and put them in Ziplock bags in the freezer.

Turn the mass

OGA member #15

Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am

I remember the uniformed gas station attendants complete with military cap. I always figured that work uniforms were a throwback to our military heritage particularly when there was a war ongoing somewhere in the world for many instances successive generations.

Today, it's kind of every man for himself with a very lax approach to attire. Like Wriggs, I enjoy dressing up. I think it says something about a person if they care about their appearance and it certainly resonates with the ladies.

What I find most obvious about current trends is that folks have become quite willing to advertise brands and paying for the privilege of doing so by choosing logoed clothing and not the subtle versions either, but with big bold symbols that have been veiled as fashion statements. We all do it, intentional or otherwise.

DW is always dressed well when we go out, shopping no matter where. Changes clothes several times before settling on the outfit of the day, then telling me what I can wear so the colours do not clash.

We use two major shopping malls, one, the closest to home is filled with the great unwashed, don’t use it often but sometimes it’s the only place to purchase what we are looking for. The other has an IKEA store and that is always filled with clean people, clothes are not the important bit, washing before you mingle with others is.

Walking the streets around the first mall, you do not have to see anyone approaching as you can smell them first, mostly it’s an area of high unemployment, it’s not that jobs are not available it’s that they do not want to work.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

We quit buying big bunches of bananas at Costco when all the girls left home. Just too many for two of us .........until we started the breakfast shakes. Now we buy them and as they ripen we break them into pieces and put them in Ziplock bags in the freezer.

We are Costco shoppers but we also have two other stores that beat them for prices and quality, so our trips there are selective. When we do purchase from Costco it’s in large quantities, fortunately we have plenty of storage area. We use plenty of frozen fruit in fruit in smoothies, as with yourselves we freeze it during times of plenty, mangoes and peaches being our main passion, with the varying climate in Australia other fruits are available year round. Strawberries are a summer fruit but in our local area they are a winter fruit, in summer they are imported from down south, the only thing we can never purchase in winter is our favourite mangoes.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

pl

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition Driver 10.5 w/TFC 50D

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition 3W 16 w/TFC 50F

Ping Rapture V2 5W 19 w/TFC 939F

Ping G410 Hybrid 22 w/Accra FX 2.0 

Callaway RAZR X 5-SW w/Callaway Steel Uniflex

Ping Gorge Tour 60 Lob Wedge w/KBS Wedge

SLED Gemini

Happy Birthday to Mrs. Tol. It's Tuesday down under, right?

I read the book Dress For Success many many years ago and I applied it as it made sense to me.

That was in another life. Since I started driving a truck in 1995 I just made sure I was neat and clean.

These days I pretty much wear shorts year round.

In the book the author said never wear dark brown..........and I haven't since reading that. Beige is

fine, Khaki is fine. Any darker than that you look like a walking talking turd.

Back around 1976, I bought the "Dress for Success." Read it, and have applied the principles since. No dark brown anything, except shoes.

Just got a new Spring Jos A Bank catalog. The retail prices are ridiculous. Reserve Custom suits starting at $1,298, and other such nonsense. The website clearance has suits under $100, shirts around $20, etc. I wonder if anyone pays full retail for their stuff. The website prices go up and down like a yoyo.

I always wanted a "Bobby Jones" navy blazer. Around $600 retail, I would never pay that. Looking on ebay a couple months ago, I spied a 43L for $17.99, with free shipping. Ordered it, looks like it's never been worn, but slightly snug. (I wear a 44L)

Thrifts stores are a good place to buy blazers and sport coats. Since no one dresses anymore, most items are mint, and around $5.

Can't beat it.

Happy Birthday to Mrs. Tol. It's Tuesday down under, right?

I read the book Dress For Success many many years ago and I applied it as it made sense to me.

That was in another life. Since I started driving a truck in 1995 I just made sure I was neat and clean.

These days I pretty much wear shorts year round.

In the book the author said never wear dark brown..........and I haven't since reading that. Beige is

fine, Khaki is fine. Any darker than that you look like a walking talking turd.

Back around 1976, I bought the "Dress for Success." Read it, and have applied the principles since. No dark brown anything, except shoes.

Just got a new Spring Jos A Bank catalog. The retail prices are ridiculous. Reserve Custom suits starting at $1,298, and other such nonsense. The website clearance has suits under $100, shirts around $20, etc. I wonder if anyone pays full retail for their stuff. The website prices go up and down like a yoyo.

I always wanted a "Bobby Jones" navy blazer. Around $600 retail, I would never pay that. Looking on ebay a couple months ago, I spied a 43L for $17.99, with free shipping. Ordered it, looks like it's never been worn, but slightly snug. (I wear a 44L)

Thrifts stores are a good place to buy blazers and sport coats. Since no one dresses anymore, most items are mint, and around $5.

Can't beat it.

One area we lived in was quite affluent and the thrift shops has new clothes for real giveaway prices. We used to buy up to date clothes at good prices untill some greedy people started stripping the shelves then selling them on at local weekend markets. Will not say the country the were from but it was always the same crowd, very soon it was not worth going to the shop. The charities did not care as they sold the clothes anyway.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

My neighbor called and asked me if I wanted to take a ride in the Dodge. Asked me if I wanted to drive, but I told him I'd rather be chauffeured. So, first he runs it through a $12 automatic car wash. We chamois it off, and take a spin. He loves the car, he said he'd never get rid of it. He asks me if I'd ever want it back.

I told him, "If you ever decide to sell it, I'd probably buy it back, but I really don't want it. It's your car now. Enjoy it, with your family, in good health."

A pleasant ride, I related a few Fort Knox stories. He had been stationed in Fort Knox, also, twenty years after me.

The Masters is a month away!!

On the subject of dress clothes. Have no need to dress up much these days. I dress ultra causal. Which means jeans everyday, live in shorts once the weather warms appropriately. T-shirts, or a solid color polo. Not big on the golf course look when not playing golf. However, I know when putting on a coat and tie is appropriate. Plus know how to go about the task. Have a sufficient supply of classic stables that can be relied upon. A conservatively styled dark navy blue suit never goes out of style. Same for a light gray suit. Half dozen ties of good material with modest patterns. Two pairs of "dress shoes", both 25+ years old, a black and cordovan. Still in excellent shape, polished, quality leather (both Allen Edmonds). Both styles are still in their catalog. Don't have to over think a shirt, classic white and blue is all that's needed. Add a navy blue blazer with medium gray slacks. I'm good to go for any occasion.

Don't pay much attention to men's clothing styles. Doesn't interest me. Always figured that just a few garments will suffice for all instances that require appropriate dress. These days, typically weddings and funerals. No one is paying any attention to what I may be wearing anyway. As long as dress clothing is well made, of good fabric, fits properly, freshly pressed, and conservatively styled. Should last many a year.

Wrigs. Yeah, some good deals can occasionally be found at thrifts on sport jackets. "Upgraded" the navy blazer awhile back when I found a like new Bill Blass one, amazingly in my size (46L). Classic styling, very nice material. Really felt I lucked into that one, rare to find my size. Paid like $10.00 for it. Rarely browse the "dress up" racks, but every once in awhile will run down the row for a perusal.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

My neighbor called and asked me if I wanted to take a ride in the Dodge. Asked me if I wanted to drive, but I told him I'd rather be chauffeured. So, first he runs it through a $12 automatic car wash. We chamois it off, and take a spin. He loves the car, he said he'd never get rid of it. He asks me if I'd ever want it back.

I told him, "If you ever decide to sell it, I'd probably buy it back, but I really don't want it. It's your car now. Enjoy it, with your family, in good health."

A pleasant ride, I related a few Fort Knox stories. He had been stationed in Fort Knox, also, twenty years after me.

Happy for you seeing your pride and joy being treated so well. Your neighbour seems a very nice person.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

On the subject of dress clothes. Have no need to dress up much these days. I dress ultra causal. Which means jeans everyday, live in shorts once the weather warms appropriately. T-shirts, or a solid color polo. Not big on the golf course look when not playing golf. However, I know when putting on a coat and tie is appropriate. Plus know how to go about the task. Have a sufficient supply of classic stables that can be relied upon. A conservatively styled dark navy blue suit never goes out of style. Same for a light gray suit. Half dozen ties of good material with modest patterns. Two pairs of "dress shoes", both 25+ years old, a black and cordovan. Still in excellent shape, polished, quality leather (both Allen Edmonds). Both styles are still in their catalog. Don't have to over think a shirt, classic white and blue is all that's needed. Add a navy blue blazer with medium gray slacks. I'm good to go for any occasion.

Don't pay much attention to men's clothing styles. Doesn't interest me. Always figured that just a few garments will suffice for all instances that require appropriate dress. These days, typically weddings and funerals. No one is paying any attention to what I may be wearing anyway. As long as dress clothing is well made, of good fabric, fits properly, freshly pressed, and conservatively styled. Should last many a year.

Wrigs. Yeah, some good deals can occasionally be found at thrifts on sport jackets. "Upgraded" the navy blazer awhile back when I found a like new Bill Blass one, amazingly in my size (46L). Classic styling, very nice material. Really felt I lucked into that one, rare to find my size. Paid like $10.00 for it. Rarely browse the "dress up" racks, but every once in awhile will run down the row for a perusal.

My standard clothing year round is tee shirt and shorts, as the temperature rarely goes below 50 no need for warm clothing. Really cold days I will wear a sleeveless jacket, that’s as long as it does not clash with DWs clothes.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Have you been looking in my closet, Fella? Sounds like we have pretty similar line-ups for dress attire with the same classic styling cues. I shouldn't be surprised that you wear the same size as me -- brother from another mother sorta moment.

The one thing that I have indulged in lately are Tommy Bahama camp shirts -- I wait for the half off sales. In true Caribbean style, I have come to select these as my go tos for dressy summer occasions. Call it a bit of the inner Hemingway coming through. Perfect dinning room attire on a cruise ship on all but formal occasions not to mention fitting in nicely in a smokey corner of a Salsa or Flamenco club, sharing a table with a Cuban beauty.

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

I remember the uniformed gas station attendants complete with military cap. I always figured that work uniforms were a throwback to our military heritage particularly when there was a war ongoing somewhere in the world for many instances successive generations.

Today, it's kind of every man for himself with a very lax approach to attire. Like Wriggs, I enjoy dressing up. I think it says something about a person if they care about their appearance and it certainly resonates with the ladies.

What I find most obvious about current trends is that folks have become quite willing to advertise brands and paying for the privilege of doing so by choosing logoed clothing and not the subtle versions either, but with big bold symbols that have been veiled as fashion statements. We all do it, intentional or otherwise.

Ah yes, the good old days. My first job was at a gas station, or 'filling station' which it was also called. You could get 'High Test' gas too. We didn't wear the uniforms or caps, but we dressed nicely, and said yes sir and yes ma'am. I still do to this day. I remember thinking 'someday, I'll be old enough that young people will do that to me'... well, that didn't happen, except my son-in-law in Tennessee, what a great guy. After 10 years he still calls me sir. Something special about southerners.

Anyway, we still back then did the full service when we pumped gas, checked the oil, checked the tire pressure, cleaned the windows, heck, we would even check the transmission fluid once they started it back up, or offer to if they wanted. And we'd still keep up with everyone. None of this obscure nonsense coming over a tiny speaker from a metal throne "Grherher dern blerp erside"... "what? I didn't understand you?" "Dlep bean, pump domp berken, ernside, paygenside afore phillp" "I can't get this to work, how can I get gas?" "Do you also need coffee, and firewood, and windshield washer fluid?" "No" ............... "Yull hoffa paygenside afore phillup"... kkkkjjjjjjlllllllchchchllliiiccckkbeepbeepbeep.... then silence...

LOL. Does the Mrs. know you're hangin' in the Flamenco Lounge while she's off to the day spa? Cool by me. Would likely be my "go to" on-board haunt as well. When some separation time is needed. Your secret is safe. What's mentioned in the Grille, stays in the Grille.

Absolutely. Caribbean shirts are perfect for dressy casual summertime events. Have a number in various colors and designs. They hide the mass quite affectively and who wants clingy when its's 90*. Lately, been adding some panel shirts as well. Some have cast comments about wearing Guy Fieri shirts, which would imply I'm trying to be a wannabe. Prefer calling them retro bowling shirts to deflect. Anyhow, essentially a camp shirt with a different look.

LOL. Does the Mrs. know you're hangin' in the Flamenco Lounge while she's off to the day spa? Cool by me. Would likely be my "go to" on-board haunt as well. When some separation time is needed. Your secret is safe. What's mentioned in the Grille, stays in the Grille.

Absolutely. Caribbean shirts are perfect for dressy casual summertime events. Have a number in various colors and designs. They hide the mass quite affectively and who wants clingy when its's 90*. Lately, been adding some panel shirts as well. Some have cast comments about wearing Guy Fieri shirts, which would imply I'm trying to be a wannabe. Prefer calling them retro bowling shirts to deflect. Anyhow, essentially a camp shirt with a different look.

Nothing quite so scandalous. Actually DW was there and it was she who suggested that we sit with the Cuban woman who we had been talking to earlier as she was travelling alone.

I guess I'm just guilty in this instance of exercising a bit of creative discretion in my writing. I wasn't exaggerating about her beauty though as mixed race bloodlines often capture the best of each. Fairly common in Cuba with African, Latin and European bloodlines intermixed.

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Ah yes, the good old days. My first job was at a gas station, or 'filling station' which it was also called. You could get 'High Test' gas too. We didn't wear the uniforms or caps, but we dressed nicely, and said yes sir and yes ma'am. I still do to this day. I remember thinking 'someday, I'll be old enough that young people will do that to me'... well, that didn't happen, except my son-in-law in Tennessee, what a great guy. After 10 years he still calls me sir. Something special about southerners.

Anyway, we still back then did the full service when we pumped gas, checked the oil, checked the tire pressure, cleaned the windows, heck, we would even check the transmission fluid once they started it back up, or offer to if they wanted. And we'd still keep up with everyone. None of this obscure nonsense coming over a tiny speaker from a metal throne "Grherher dern blerp erside"... "what? I didn't understand you?" "Dlep bean, pump domp berken, ernside, paygenside afore phillp" "I can't get this to work, how can I get gas?" "Do you also need coffee, and firewood, and windshield washer fluid?" "No" ............... "Yull hoffa paygenside afore phillup"... kkkkjjjjjjlllllllchchchllliiiccckkbeepbeepbeep.... then silence...

One of my early jobs as well. Pumping gas at a local Payless filling station back in H.S. Didn't have a uniform, but did have to wear their shirt. All of the above, start the gas, check the oil, clean the windshield. Didn't work there very long though. Was working the evening shift until close. Decided to call in sick because I had something fun to do one night. Showed up the next night and was told by the assistant manager to turn in my shirt. Oh well.

Went and got a job shortly thereafter working at a pre-cast concrete pipe plant. (Summer of 1969.) Making patch repairs to the pipe out in the storage field. A couple of school chums worked there as well. One being my golf league partner to this day. Had quite the high time of it. We did get the job done, but tended to partay while we were doing it. Especially as the days got closer to the weekend (starting on Tuesday). Lots of places to hide out amongst a couple hundred large concrete pipes. Could always tell when the foreman was coming out to check on us because he drove around in a rattle-trap old pickup. He'd make his rounds, like clockwork, once in the morning and again in the afternoon. He'd give us a bunch of shizzle that we weren't doing the job right. But think he kinda liked us, or at least tolerated us. Because we didn't really do anything to make him look bad, and he had bigger issues than the "field rats" to worry about.

Catchy glad to see you over here in this neck of the woods. Fella and myself are familiar with Catchy from sometimes the Classics forum and from the blade users forum. Same type of folks here Catchy as you find in the two other sections we frequent just down to earth good folks

Dumb question for you, Stu.

"If" you were to cut down a driver from the butt end by say 1/2-1".... would you add tape to the head? And if so, would you start with something like 4-6 grams low and on the back side of the head?

(My son wants me to cut down his Titleist driver and is saying he wishes it were heavier as-is. He tends to flight it low and left with random high pushes mixed in)

Hells yes! I'd just keep adding tape until it feels about right. Not the answer a technician wants to hear, but that's exactly how I did it.

The more stuff I read on fitting and tweaking clubs for performance the more I think it's as much art as any sort of science that the technicians want to promote. And for the record, because I suck at this game anything I might do is not appropriate for anyone else to try. It's just red neck engineering applied to the game of golf... YMMV.

Shortening driver length by .5" will decrease SW by 3 points, 1" by 6 points. Two grams on/in the head will increase SW by 1 point. Those are the ratios. Determine the current SW as the benchmark. As Sco mentioned, add lead tape until it "feels" right. Another quick, non-permanent method for SW testing is to tape nickels onto the head. Each nickel weighs 5 grams. Fine tune tape if need be. Once you established a preference, can acquire a heavier weight for the head, if he doesn't want to see the tape. Depending on what model Titleist D he has. Billy Bob's Golf use to stock weights for all D heads, now just see for the 915. A quick glance on GW didn't show any aftermarket weights listed. But they once had them.

FWIW, prefer using GW's high density lead tape because you don't have to use as much of it.

All replies MOST appreciated! Can always count on my Grille buds to come thru. Always learn something,

So the build was done with glue dried Sunday. Last eve my son gave them a test run at the range. The new iron shafts absolutely fixed the constant pushes and fades. He's also happy with his Titleist 915 D2 without any added weight, but is aware of the ability to add it later should he feel the need. FWIW, I liked that driver myself. Not enough to change, but would definitely snag one in hoe mode one day. Thanks again my friends!

Just got a text from our SIL who offered tics to Thursday's round at TPC Sawgrass. Were they weekend passes we'd go without doubt. With basically one day's notice to get there, and given several mitigating issues we could have worked around with more notice.... We're going to talk it over tonight but I really don't see it happening.

Not to brag (I hope), I've played that course a time or two. Pete Dye was pretty diabolical when he laid that one out. It's so often NOT about how far you bomb it. To the contrary it's far more about exactly where you place it, which is usually not at the stick. Your eye says one thing over the ball but when you get to your ball you realize how much you just got suckered - again. He who plays it most strategically with the best short game will be your winner. He who wins by bombing it will demonstrate pinpoint accuracy with longer clubs on a course that brutalizes even the slightest miss.

tomorrow will be a nice long day on the course. Honestly,do not care at all what i shoot. I know that is a NO-NO....but I am so

pumped with being able to even get to play... . Ground is so soaked that it will be plugged ball day,but thats ok !

Certified Orginal Member#2
Outlaw Golf Association
To Heck with the USGA

I know exactly what you mean, Bill! Yesterday I got an email from the convener of my men's league with the updated handicaps including last fall's scores. The course Open House is on the 6th and our first game is scheduled for the 15th for our Monday sessions and the 25th for our Thursday sessions. I found myself going over the posted scores for many of our league members mostly out of curiosity to see how the guys had been shooting even though my sheet was a virtual blank beyond the opening week. I'm really looking forward to it no matter the outcome because as you saying it's the playing that counts far more than the how we play!

I guess that means that I better get busy and finish up that putter build. I also better start thinking about doing a few dry swings to get used to the idea of playing again so as to not end up completely screwed after the first time out.

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Nothing quite so scandalous. Actually DW was there and it was she who suggested that we sit with the Cuban woman who we had been talking to earlier as she was travelling alone.

I guess I'm just guilty in this instance of exercising a bit of creative discretion in my writing. I wasn't exaggerating about her beauty though as mixed race bloodlines often capture the best of each. Fairly common in Cuba with African, Latin and European bloodlines intermixed.

Got a shirt that's counted as my favorite. Not sure now when/where the wife got it. Call it the "safari" shirt. Khaki, has those passant button flaps up on both shoulders, two pleated front button-down pockets.

Never have been or will be on a safari. Don't wear epaulets for any reason so the shoulder doo-dads are a waste of time. Who needs two front pockets? There aren't a thousand times and places when that shirt would be THE perfect attire. Being Khaki it approaches that brown color where I might look like Rad's walking turd! All in all there's no reason to even care for it. But if fits well, feels good, and for some stupid reason I put the darn thing at the top of my list.

Then again I'm a golfer and there's no accounting for how our noggins work!

Has anyone seen my lollipop? I hear voices. I see dead people. Got to go... expecting a call from planet Zotark. :)

tomorrow will be a nice long day on the course. Honestly,do not care at all what i shoot. I know that is a NO-NO....but I am so

pumped with being able to even get to play... . Ground is so soaked that it will be plugged ball day,but thats ok !

Good for you Bill. The excitement you exude is reason enough to get out for a whack-around. There IS something about getting out for that first round after a long hiatus. Score is immaterial. Meaningless in sloggy Spring conditions, overrated at other times as well. Treat each shot on it's own. Did I hit as intended, if not, do it on the next one. You already know that the most important thing is to enjoy participating. Have fun.

Today, for the first time this year, got a sense of spring in the air. Sunny skies, the temps made it up to 46*. You could feel it, smell it. Won't be to much longer I hope. Urges were prevalent to go to a range, but other obligations in the afternoon prevented it. NTM, one open would likely have been slammed. Not all that fond of whacking balls, elbow to elbow, amongst the masses anyhow. (Those clangy drivers can become unnerving. In repetitive close proximity.) Still have some snow on the ground, but today's weather definitely melted off a good portion of it. Only patches left in the yard. Would expect all of it to be gone by Thursday.

Ready for spring.

Catchy glad to see you over here in this neck of the woods. Fella and myself are familiar with Catchy from sometimes the Classics forum and from the blade users forum. Same type of folks here Catchy as you find in the two other sections we frequent just down to earth good folks

Dumb question for you, Stu.

"If" you were to cut down a driver from the butt end by say 1/2-1".... would you add tape to the head? And if so, would you start with something like 4-6 grams low and on the back side of the head?

(My son wants me to cut down his Titleist driver and is saying he wishes it were heavier as-is. He tends to flight it low and left with random high pushes mixed in)

Hells yes! I'd just keep adding tape until it feels about right. Not the answer a technician wants to hear, but that's exactly how I did it.

The more stuff I read on fitting and tweaking clubs for performance the more I think it's as much art as any sort of science that the technicians want to promote. And for the record, because I suck at this game anything I might do is not appropriate for anyone else to try. It's just red neck engineering applied to the game of golf... YMMV.

Shortening driver length by .5" will decrease SW by 3 points, 1" by 6 points. Two grams on/in the head will increase SW by 1 point. Those are the ratios. Determine the current SW as the benchmark. As Sco mentioned, add lead tape until it "feels" right. Another quick, non-permanent method for SW testing is to tape nickels onto the head. Each nickel weighs 5 grams. Fine tune tape if need be. Once you established a preference, can acquire a heavier weight for the head, if he doesn't want to see the tape. Depending on what model Titleist D he has. Billy Bob's Golf use to stock weights for all D heads, now just see for the 915. A quick glance on GW didn't show any aftermarket weights listed. But they once had them.

FWIW, prefer using GW's high density lead tape because you don't have to use as much of it.

All replies MOST appreciated! Can always count on my Grille buds to come thru. Always learn something,

So the build was done with glue dried Sunday. Last eve my son gave them a test run at the range. The new iron shafts absolutely fixed the constant pushes and fades. He's also happy with his Titleist 915 D2 without any added weight, but is aware of the ability to add it later should he feel the need. FWIW, I liked that driver myself. Not enough to change, but would definitely snag one in hoe mode one day. Thanks again my friends!

That 915 D2 is an excellent driver--- That is my back up to the Homna

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

Just got a text from our SIL who offered tics to Thursday's round at TPC Sawgrass. Were they weekend passes we'd go without doubt. With basically one day's notice to get there, and given several mitigating issues we could have worked around with more notice.... We're going to talk it over tonight but I really don't see it happening.

Not to brag (I hope), I've played that course a time or two. Pete Dye was pretty diabolical when he laid that one out. It's so often NOT about how far you bomb it. To the contrary it's far more about exactly where you place it, which is usually not at the stick. Your eye says one thing over the ball but when you get to your ball you realize how much you just got suckered - again. He who plays it most strategically with the best short game will be your winner. He who wins by bombing it will demonstrate pinpoint accuracy with longer clubs on a course that brutalizes even the slightest miss.

Yep Pete Dye will suck you in----- I have played Sawgrass quite a few times--- Have played numerous Dye courses---- Played quite a bit at a course down here called Deboreadu which is strictly private. It is a Dye Jr course and IMHO there is no difference. He relies a lot on optical illusions as does any good course architect. You have to play a Dye course several times and keep notes either written or mental and to keep in the back of your mind " Don't let Pete screw with you"

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

That 915 D2 is an excellent driver--- That is my back up to the Homna

Interesting. Been hankering to "upgrade" my driver of late. Now two favorable in-house reports on the 915. Been contemplating trying a D with a ~ 50g shaft, thinking I might be able to pick up a couple mph of ball speed by swinging a lighter shaft. And a head more current may offer a bit more forgiveness (i.e. higher MOI) across the face on less than optimum ball strikes. The 910 can be penal if hit out on the toe (high and toe side being my typical miss).

See a number of 915's on the Bay that are right in my wheelhouse of how much I'd like to spend. Investigating ULW shaft retrofit into the 910 D2 is appx. 50% of the expense of going to a more current model. For an extra $50 -$75, may be more prudent to just upgrade. Been "watching" for a suitable candidate.

Don't know if Titleist are max distance drivers, but they sure like to go straight. Least that's been my experience with the 983, 905, 910 succession. Plus they always feel solid when striking the ball, unlike the current crop of composite head drivers. Of a concern though, incrementalism will not achieve the intended results. That a 915 will not be all that much different that what I already have in the bag. Will have to be one of those "leap of faith" decisions to see if better results can be realized. Not like I'll be able to test one out beforehand.

IDK. Still have plenty of stuff sitting around unused that could be liquidated. With the proceeds reallocated.

Played Sunday and several of my drives actually checked and backed up a few inches, Indiana clay is awesome. I had played 2 rounds in February with a red Vice ball that I found, and lost it plugged, somewhere in the middle of the 13th fairway. Oh well, I found a warbird, and a perfect V1x looking for it so it's all good. Just being on the course was great.

typical round for me, plus 10 on the front, plus 2 on back. Had 1 triple, 3 doubles on the front, 3 bogies, one bird on the back.

I was trying to quote Bill on this, but something happened, and I had to back his entire post out for it to work.

Home! WTH (heck) There is still snow on the ground all the way from Portland to home. Thankfully the roads were clear.

So this was pretty cool. We drove to Portland Ore. to daughter #3 and SIL the golfer’s house the day before flying out to Maui.

It just happened that Noah’s (SIL) brother in law was in town from Hawaii doing a mainland tour of Hawaiian Slack Key music with two other musicians. We got tickets and went to a small theater in Portland for the concert which put us perfectly in the mood for the vacay. His name is David Kahiapo and here are a couple of his songs.

Nathan Aweau also performed. He played a wicked 7 string bass and was in Don Ho’s (Tiny Bubbles) band for years and in the group Hapa.

George Kahumoku Jr. was the headliner and is a well known Slack Key musician over there.

We had met David some years ago but had never seen him in concert so this was a real treat.

Have not been able to Ketchup yet but will do some fine reading soon.

Back to the "grind" tomorrow and no golf in my near future :(

Turn the mass

OGA member #15

Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am

Happy for you seeing your pride and joy being treated so well. Your neighbour seems a very nice person.

My neighbor is a very nice guy, a family man with a wife and 4 daughters. He just turned 48. He's a train engineer. He said no one ever gave him anything, so I guess that's what makes the Dodge special to him.

His friend is supposed to take on the paint project on the car, he doesn't know when that will take place. His next current project is to replace the spark plug wires, etc. and tune the car up. The car sits in a garage, stays clean and dry. So, it looks much better than when it sat in front of my house, gathering dust and dirt.

I really hope the repaint gets done.

• GwrxMod changed the title to Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***) (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION ***)