Rory Mcilroy- why he can't close out a golf tournament

asugrad1988

I can't tell if it's the same thread or another one. Either way I love being critical of a top golfer whenever he doesn't win. We all know success at the highest stage is just a mentality change away. As if everyone else was weak, and this guy just needs to get stronger.

Callaway Paradym TD 10* Ventus Red TR 5S

Titleist TSR3 13.5* 3 Wood Tour AD-IZ 6S

Titleist TSR3 19* hybrid Modus GOST S

Titleist TSR2 24* hybrid Modus GOST S

Callaway Paradym Hybrid 27* Ventus non Velocore S

Titleist T100 2023 6-PW KBS Tour V S

Titleist SM8 50, 56, 60

Scotty Cameron X7.5 CS

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's all Karma. It's never cool to dump your fiancee via a 10 minute phone call. Especially when you were hanging around with her earlier in the day. Somewhere in Caroline's luggage is a Rory doll with pins stuck in it.

Ping G400 Max Tour AD DI

Ping G425 Tensi Orange 3W

Ping G30 5W Tensi Orange 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange 4H

Ping G425 5-S Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap F4

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

Another sexy sizzler! If Rory ever gained confidence with this shot...

[media=]

[/media]

[media=]

[/media]

Tasty little wedge there from YJS.

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

i hate to say it but -- i just don't think he's got fire anymore. watching Keith Mitchell last week and a guy who doesn't really react that much, Francesco Molinari, both act and played like they wanted it more.

Rory just seemingly comes out flat -- regardless of thursday to sunday -- his attitude is just, "yea if i go low...i go low...i struck the ball well today i just didn't get some breaks...it is what it is ya know...i'll hope for better tomorrow".

how you think goes into how you act - and i know this might be a minute comparison/snapshot but - think of that attitude...and relate it to his golf swing. how many shots has he missed out to the right in the last few tournaments b/c he just kinda lays off it and hangs it out there. his BEST ballstriking days are when he's going at it, with driver, with irons, etc and he hits pure shots with pure swings. the last few tourneys i have seen shots/swings that are just 85% commitment to.

my .02

PING G430 LST / 9* (dialed to 10.5*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Dark Speed LS / 3w (dialed to 15.5*) / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

Molinari said it best when asked about Rory........"It'sa simple, he no getta the balla ina the holea"............ :pimp:

as an italian -- i laughed my *** at this hahaha i actually said it in my head like my uncle.

PING G430 LST / 9* (dialed to 10.5*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Dark Speed LS / 3w (dialed to 15.5*) / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

[media=]

[/media]

[media=]

[/media]

The little 1 or 2 hop stopper is a shot that is extremely useful, for sure. When I have been able to play with some high level ams and pros of various levels, they all seemed to have that shot and could control their distances very well with it. Unless you catch something on the green, it's extremely predictable and something that players of all levels could benefit from having.

I can't believe nobody has said this ...

He did not capitalize on the par 5's at all at the API. Miss the greens and don't get up and down or hit the greens in two and then 3 jack

He is getting home on par 5's with irons where a lot of players cannot even reach in 2. I wonder how his approach from 225+ compares to the fields?

2nd shot on 6 Sunday was atrocious and a good example

SECOND (and he has acknowledged this)

When he does not start hot he seems to lose interest and confidence WAY too quickly and drags himself around the course as opposed to his bouncy strutting

The Masters last year was the same. The kid misses a four foot eagle on #2 and played like a sucky baby for the rest of the day. if he made that putt he would've won I feel

YMMV

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* GD AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x 

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

I can't tell if it's the same thread or another one. Either way I love being critical of a top golfer whenever he doesn't win. We all know success at the highest stage is just a mentality change away. As if everyone else was weak, and this guy just needs to get stronger.

In fairness, what you're critiquing is fairly easy to quantify. Rory's scoring average by round is 69.83(54th), 68.83(16th), 69.17(43rd), 70.5(115th). His final round scoring doesn't just tell the story that he's simply getting beat by stronger players.

The problem is, even if his final round scoring average is more in line with the other three days...say 69 even...he still loses on Sunday. So it's not just that.

I think another poster said it best...golf is hard.

These threads wouldn't be started if he were shooting good rounds on Sunday. Stats aren't telling the story that Rory's simply getting outplayed.

Edit: Granted, it is a small sample size

Clearly he's having marital problems. This is a truncated list of problems in the "modern" marriage.

Let's see how they "perhaps" pertain to Rors and his problem marriage:

It could be.............

Overstepping Boundaries - his wife likes to share the spotlight that Rors created

Lacking Complete Communication - too much texting and not enough face-to-face

Declining Occurrences of Sexual Intimacy - you can't be playing tourneys and takin' care of business concurrently

Wandering Focuses - he can't putt and who is he spending time with? Brad Faxon?

Emotional Infidelity - he clearly is channeling his emotions elsewhere

Fighting About Money - often times more money brings more problems

Waning Appreciation - her appreciation for his game and his "star quality" is waning

Technology Interference - changing putters

The guy uses rebar in his wedge shafts, most Pro's go softer even using #8i shafts in them. He's downright awful from wedge distance, needs an equipment intervention.

Aside from that his mental approach is pretty sophomoric, he has zero grind & grit. I get he does not want to press but geez, where's the pride dude?

[media=]

[/media]

[media=]

[/media]

The little 1 or 2 hop stopper is a shot that is extremely useful, for sure. When I have been able to play with some high level ams and pros of various levels, they all seemed to have that shot and could control their distances very well with it. Unless you catch something on the green, it's extremely predictable and something that players of all levels could benefit from having.

Stricker is another that comes to mind.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

2) Ditch those awful TM putters and go and see David Edel to get properly fit for a putter that actually matches his shape preferences and aiming tendencies, then stick with it.

Do you honestly believe, TM doesn't do the same thing? I am certain, they have been working to find a putter that matches his stroke and aiming tendencies. Plenty have won with those "awful" putters, the Spider was one of the most sought after putters for a while when everyone was winning on tour with them.

Mostly PING clubs, with TaylorMade woods.

2) Ditch those awful TM putters and go and see David Edel to get properly fit for a putter that actually matches his shape preferences and aiming tendencies, then stick with it.

Do you honestly believe, TM doesn't do the same thing? I am certain, they have been working to find a putter that matches his stroke and aiming tendencies. Plenty have won with those "awful" putters, the Spider was one of the most sought after putters for a while when everyone was winning on tour with them.

If they did why is he using an Anser style one week and they a spaceship mallet the next? They're two completely different head shapes. Are both optimized for his visual, alignment and aiming tendencies? I don't see how they could be. Now, he might like the look of them both but that's not the same thing.

Also what has a putter being popular on tour got to do with whether it optimally fits McIlroy or not?

If they did why is he using an Anser style one week and they a spaceship mallet the next? They're two completely different head shapes. Are both optimized for his alignment and aiming tendencies, based on his vision and how he aims the putter? I don't see how they could be. Now, he might like the look of them both but that's not the same thing.

Also what has a putter being popular on tour got to do with whether it optimally fits McIlroy or not?

He was doing that all the way back when he was using Camerons.

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

It's all Karma. It's never cool to dump your fiancee via a 10 minute phone call. Especially when you were hanging around with her earlier in the day. Somewhere in Caroline's luggage is a Rory doll with pins stuck in it.

He's won 2 majors, 2 WGCs, a Fedex cup and Race to Dubai since the breakup.....poor karma

Taylormade Stealth + 10.5 (Mitsubishi Kai'li White 60S)

Titleist 913F 15 (Mitsubishi Diamana S+ 70)

Titleist 712U 2I (True Temper Dynamic Gold S300)

Titleist 680 MB 4-W (True Temper Dynamic Gold S300)

Titleist Vokey SM5 50,54,58 (True Temper Dynamic Gold S200)

Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 SS

ProV1

If they did why is he using an Anser style one week and they a spaceship mallet the next? They're two completely different head shapes. Are both optimized for his visual, alignment and aiming tendencies? I don't see how they could be. Now, he might like the look of them both but that's not the same thing.

Just because one week is an anser and the other week is a mallet doesnt mean they cant be fit for his stroke, come on now. It's called trying to find something that works. Didnt Tiger, one of the most clutch putters ever, just recently use a mallet?

I never said the putter being popular meant it was an optimal fit for McIlroy, my point was you called them awful putters when clearly they arent.

Mostly PING clubs, with TaylorMade woods.

Just because one week is an anser and the other week is a mallet doesnt mean they cant be fit for his stroke, come on now. It's called trying to find something that works. Didnt Tiger, one of the most clutch putters ever, just recently use a mallet?

I never said the putter being popular meant it was an optimal fit for McIlroy, my point was you called them awful putters when clearly they arent.

It's not about fitting for his stroke per se, it's about choosing a putter that he can actually aim properly. Not sure if you've ever been through an Edel putter fitting, but everything from head shape, offset and presence of sight aids (or not) can have a dramatic impact on where you subconsciously aim the club. All I'm saying is, I don't believe those putters are optimized for his tendencies. It also looks like he now has a 14 club contract, so he has to play a TM putter - which is the main reason Justin Rose switched to Honma, because he didn't want to.

We'll have to disagree on the Spiders. Certainly some people play well with them and I'm sure there are those that think it's the greatest putter ever made.

[media=]

[/media]

[media=]

[/media]

He happens to be one of the pros I have been lucky enough to play with.

[media=]

[/media]

[media=]

[/media]

He happens to be one of the pros I have been lucky enough to play with.

Must have been pretty cool to see a wedge player of that caliber in action.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black