Ever totally surprise someone else with a fabulous shot or awesome round?

SixtySomePing

Way back when I was a 25 hcp I played with this group, and they weren’t great either but weren’t 25s. So we had to “splinter off” a little bit, meaning everyone just went to their balls and we played ready golf, etc. I hit a decent tee ball and then a beautiful 7i approach to a few feet but no one was watching the shot. Later, one of the guys looked at the other 2 and said “Wait, who’s ball is that next to the pin?” I just smiled and said “I know it’s hard to believe, but it’s mine”. They said “Oh, wow, good shot”. ?

Ha...I remember the very first time I played with this guy at work. It was probably about 2.5 or 3 years after I started playing so this was maybe 6-7 years back. I sat across from this hilarious guy who was always talking smack to somebody. Don't get me wrong, he was hilarious but he'd always rib everybody. Back then, it was he and I (both Clemson guys) who'd go after the 3rd office mate who was a Gamecock. At the time Clemson had lost 4 straight to USC so it wasn't the best time. Good lord, I'd give anything to be a fly on that wall after the first National Championship. That probably would've been up there as one of my best days at work ever. Oh, man.

But I digress...this guy and I go out to play at the local muni. He's talking smack telling me how I'm going to choke and all that. I kept telling him I was decent. Well, I must've played somewhat solid because at threw up a 75 that day. We played a lot thereafter. I never matched that score but it was definitely good to do that the first time out. Man, that guy was priceless if you could laugh at his ribbing.

TSR3 (9o) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2+ (14.5o 3w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

TSR2 (21o 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-Gw) (Nippon Modus3)

SM9 56-F / 60-S
Maltby PTM-5CS

End of last summer I pulled my tee shot left into the trees on our 12th hole during a social tournament where it was a draw for your team-mates, so playing with 3 people I didn't really know. I had just under 150 in but with trees in-front me, and a bunker front-left of the green. Partners were in a good position so just decided to go for it and somehow hit the best shot I've hit in my life. I hit an absolutely perfect punch cut with a 6 iron through a small gap between two trees which carried the bunker by a matter of inches and stopped about 25ft from the hole. One of those dumb shots that basically never come off but this time I hit it absolutely perfect, surprised not only my team-mates and a guy who was playing the 11th which runs parallel but myself with that one, one of those shots that keep you coming back.

Back in college, about 21 or 22,when the goal was to break 45 for nine holes.

I don’t have any idea what happened but it was definitely in a groove. Over and over, quality shots, hitting greens. A 75 really out of nowhere. It was a long time before it happened again. Even had witnesses, ones who I played regularly with too, so they recognized what a strange day it was.

Last fall in the Annual Interclub match, I snaphooked my drive left in the hazard. In an effort to avoid the water hazard on the right, why not hit a snap hook left? I mean it wasn't in my head at all...So I take my drop and my line of sight is less than ideal. Water still goes up the right side all the way to the green, and I had trees about 15-20 yards in front of me. They weren't huge trees but not small saplings either. So I have 190 out hitting 3. The opposition is thinking they've got the hole in the bag. I proceed to hit a six iron to a back right pin and it hits and spins between the water and the hole to about 8 feet. Proceed to make the par putt and win the hole and the front nine... It was crazy, me and my partner went on to win the alternate shot back nine by making every putt we looked at. Ended up winning the match too...Craziest round of my life.

Taylormade M2 10.5° [color=#0000ff]Graphite Design AD-BB 7x[/color]
Titleist 913 FD 15° [color=#a9a9a9]Diamana 'Ahina 70x[/color]
Titleist 716 AP2 3 iron [color=#a9a9a9]Accra 110i[/color]
Titleist 716 MB 4-PW [color=#0000ff]Project X 6.0[/color]
Vokey [color=#000000]Jet Black [/color]SM7 52° 56° 60° [color=#000000]S400 Tour Issue Black Onyx[/color]
Scotty Cameron Newport [color=#daa520]Teryllium[/color] Sole Stamp

Yes. We played a "warm day" in December last year at our club. 405 yard par 4, with the cold playing like 415. I pulled the tee shot inline with some trees on the left. My typical everyday mid iron shot produces a straight ball with a little fade. That wasn't going to work where I was standing.

My son, standing nicely in the middle of fairway, about 20 yards up glances over and back at me and says, "hit a draw dad", and then chuckles.

I pulled a 7 iron with roughly 147 to the hole, loosened my grip, put the ball in the middle back of my stance, let the wrists roll a little and the ball drew 20 yards perfectly around the trees. The ball landed on the front and rolled within 15 feet for bird.

My son, with an astonished look said - "that was a really nice shot, dad. wow."

Last fall, played a casual round with two guys from my club and one of their guests as sort of a fill in for somebody who couldn't make it last minute. Handicaps ranging from a 0 (me) to a 12. We all just kind of scraped it around on the front shooting a couple over our handicap, each. Since nobody was really playing all that well, it was decided that we needed to add some interest so played a friendly money game of wolf on the back with for $10 a point. I proceeded to shoot 26 on the back. Came out of nowhere, but was hitting the ball about as well as I possibly could. Between lone wolf, going alone, and being picked at every opportunity it was a fairly profitable back 9 for me. Bought everybody lunch, drinks, and had a great time. The two guys that are members made the comment over and over, "i've just never seen you play that well for so many holes in a row". I am typically a par with a few birdies and a few bogeys mixed in type player so this was very much a one off.

Yes. We played a "warm day" in December last year at our club. 405 yard par 4, with the cold playing like 415. I pulled the tee shot inline with some trees on the left. My typical everyday mid iron shot produces a straight ball with a little fade. That wasn't going to work where I was standing.

My son, standing nicely in the middle of fairway, about 20 yards up glances over and back at me and says, "hit a draw dad", and then chuckles.

I pulled a 7 iron with roughly 147 to the hole, loosened my grip, put the ball in the middle back of my stance, let the wrists roll a little and the ball drew 20 yards perfectly around the trees. The ball landed on the front and rolled within 15 feet for bird.

My son, with an astonished look said - "that was a really nice shot, dad. wow."

But did you skip out into the fairway after you swung a la T-dub!?

TSR3 (9o) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2+ (14.5o 3w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

TSR2 (21o 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-Gw) (Nippon Modus3)

SM9 56-F / 60-S
Maltby PTM-5CS

Sometimes after our weekend noon game 18, we will have a E-9 of wolf or as we call it captains choice. There were 7 of us, playing 2 on 5. I was by far the highest cap in the group, so my best chance to make cash was on my hole as captain, which happened to be a par 5. I hit a good drive, leaving about 230 to the center, but I had rolled left into the tree line. Nobody else hit the fairway, but I chickened out, and took the last guy to hit along for the ride, as he was a great scrambler, and I figured I needed help.

I was lucky enough to have a clear shot at the green. The fairways were concrete hard, and there is no laying up in this game anyway. Somehow I hit the 3 wood of my life, started at the pin, and stayed on it until rolled down the little bank in front of the green, and was out of our sight. When we got to the green, there were a few balls on, and I was very happy to see mine a foot to the left of the flag. Easy tap in Eagle.

You should've heard everyone but the guy I drug along scream!

It was about 2001 or so and I was 16. I had the chance to play the Irish course at Whistling Straits on a family vacation. I was a good golfer at that time who just started to discover my short game to go along with my long game. I played with 2 other people that the pro paired me with and they took a caddy while I walked the course and played the tips by myself. It was a bit odd because the caddy was a few years younger than me and I wasn't a real talkative kid. I remember that I hit a lot of greens on the front but I wasn't keeping score, rather I was just playing to enjoy the experience of a new course. The point in this story where it gets bad is that the caddy opened his mouth after 12 holes to tell me that David Duval had played the course a couple weeks earlier and set the course record at 1 under and that he had me down at 2 under. I still to this day have no clue why the kid decided to tell me that because it ruined my round. I went 3 over on the last 6 holes and shot a 73. I guess I surprised the caddy? IDK. Still a little ticked about that caddy every time I think about it.

idk, probably, but I have had more fun watching my wife impress my late father-in-law. First time she ever played a full size course, he's talking trash (what!??!) to her. She promptly hit a really nice drive 30 yards past his ball. Granted she had a little bit of a head start, but she probably hit it as far as he did!

Year and a half ago we went on vacation, and she, my FIL, and myself go out for 18 holes. She nearly drove the first green (it was about 220 really sharp dogleg right), and later in the round hit the pin on her approach on a par 4. I think he was duly impressed!

idk, probably, but I have had more fun watching my wife impress my late father-in-law. First time she ever played a full size course, he's talking trash (what!??!) to her. She promptly hit a really nice drive 30 yards past his ball. Granted she had a little bit of a head start, but she probably hit it as far as he did!

Year and a half ago we went on vacation, and she, my FIL, and myself go out for 18 holes. She nearly drove the first green (it was about 220 really sharp dogleg right), and later in the round hit the pin on her approach on a par 4. I think he was duly impressed!

Way to rock Mrs. bud! :superman:

I normally play a low spinning wedge shot so my golf buddies have seen it before. One time I was on a par 3 and the group ahead waved us up. They were behind the green right behind the pin...normally a pretty safe spot in amateur golf. So I hit my normal low spinner and they thought I thinned it. They were literally diving for cover. My ball hit the green, skipped a few times and dropped anchor a foot from the hole.Lots of laughs from everyone after that.

I just came back from PGA National. We played the Champion course yesterday. I had 170 into the 18th green (in regulation -- a miracle), and had to play a 180+ shot with all of the wind in our faces. I also had to play over some of the water in front. I ended up hitting a 5-iron to @ 10'/pin high. I could hear a fear people who saw the shot clapping and whooping somewhere around the green, but I couldn't tell where it was coming from. Nonetheless, I took my hat off and waved to the general direction of the cheers. It was funny and pretty cool, and something I've never managed to do on that hole in the previous 3 attempts.

Way to rock Mrs. bud! :superman:

I am SO going to start calling her that! lol

I just came back from PGA National. We played the Champion course yesterday. I had 170 into the 18th green (in regulation -- a miracle), and had to play a 180+ shot with all of the wind in our faces. I also had to play over some of the water in front. I ended up hitting a 5-iron to @ 10'/pin high. I could hear a fear people who saw the shot clapping and whooping somewhere around the green, but I couldn't tell where it was coming from. Nonetheless, I took my hat off and waved to the general direction of the cheers. It was funny and pretty cool, and something I've never managed to do on that hole in the previous 3 attempts.

Awesome! I once holed out for eagle from 57 yards after cranking a drive over a dogleg on a par 4... and I did the exact same thing. Suddenly this big eruption of yelling and clapping from *somewhere* on a balcony I never did see.

Of course this is the same hole later that year, that I came to in men's league as my last of the round sitting at 1-under. Never had a 9-hole round under par in my life. Rolled in a 6 footer for a smooth 10. LOL

Awesome! I once holed out for eagle from 57 yards after cranking a drive over a dogleg on a par 4... and I did the exact same thing. Suddenly this big eruption of yelling and clapping from *somewhere* on a balcony I never did see.

Of course this is the same hole later that year, that I came to in men's league as my last of the round sitting at 1-under. Never had a 9-hole round under par in my life. Rolled in a 6 footer for a smooth 10. LOL

Good stuff! Golf giveth and taketh, that's for sure.

• 5 weeks later...

I remember back when I first started playing. I wanted to try golf to reconnect with my friends. They were playing golf and my tournament paintball was coming to an end. I had picked up a mixed set of clubs and started playing golf with my friends. I was shooting between 105-115 my first yr. Breaking 100 seemed impossible to me.

We had picked a course to play on a Sunday afternoon that many of the guys that I knew that played golf moaned about because they usually shot a bit higher on it because of the layout and tough greens to putt on.

I remember on the first three holes my approach shots hit the flag stick and I got two birdies and a par. I played that day like I knew how to play golf. I ended up with an 82. If I hadn't blew up on one hole I would have had a round in the 70's.

Another yr. went by before I finally broke 100 again. And it was several yrs. before I had another round in the 80's.

That was a special round for me back then and 30 yrs. later that is still my best round at that course.

Not me but a friend surprised me with his round.

My friend and I played a lot of rounds against each other, and we were competitive...hated to lose. He was a superior ball striker, very good off the tee, but had an awful short game. I sucked off the tee but was much better inside 50 yards. So we were pretty even over all. Mid 80’s.

Then one day he goes and shoots a 75. Probably the best round of golf I had ever witnessed in person. It was somewhat demoralizing because I knew I could never do that...

Fortunately for me...(not for him) it was a one time good deal and he never quite duplicated that round again. But I knew that he was the better player.

Mizuno MP-20’s

Ping G-410

Played one of my brother in laws many years ago with a cast on my foot. I didn’t play much at the time and he played regularly. I beat him by a couple of shots. It must of really psyched him out because when he comes into town once a year and we play he’s only beaten me once.

Driver- Tour Edge EXS 220

4W- Sub 70 949X

4H- Sub 70 949X

Utility- Sub 70 699U 21 degree

Irons- Sub 70 749 5-PW

Wedges - Sub 70 286 50+54 degree

Tour Edge 1 out 58 degree

Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach #11