Golf League Vs. Golf Membership in the Valley

NikZinger

I've been oscillating between joining a club and joining a league in the Valley (still relatively new to the area) and would be considered a young professional. Handicap is about scratch and seek competitive games wherever I choose.

Regarding joining a club, I've narrowed it down to Mesa CC, Phx CC, Ancala and I suppose Gainey due primarily to proximity and cost. The greatest benefit to me of joining somewhere is the all-inclusive approach, meaning, I will almost certainly play more if I am not 'paying' every time.

The most intriguing public league that I have found is Papago's men's league due to proximity, the course and the competitive nature of the game (from what I've heard). The greatest benefit to me in joining a league is the lack of financial commitment, camaraderie and competition(?).

For those of you out there that have experience with these clubs or have participated in leagues around the valley, interested in your feedback.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is like picking between a Porsche 911 and a Honda Accord.

I know some guys in the men's league. It's very minimal financial commitment. Having walked around PCC, I think I would rather play Papago. It's a way more interesting course IMO.

As you are new to the Valley, I would do Pagago and wait and see on the club. Joining a club means every time you play one of the other fantastic courses in the area you are essentially "double paying" because you could play your club "for free". Also you probably won't want to walk in the summer so your cart will probably be a cost every time it's above 90.

TLDR, Join Papago, play all the top courses in the area before joining a club.

Don’t join Gainey under any circumstances. I wouldn’t do Ancala either. Mesa and PCC are of similar quality. I would say that I slightly prefer PCC to Papago from a design perspective. The par 3s are much better and the rest is comparable. As far as conditioning and normal pace of play there’s no comparison. PCC is miles ahead there. I haven’t played Mesa enough to confirm the same for it.

You might also want to consider Desert Forest depending on your age. Depends if you want a golf only club however.

Something like that vs Papago men’s league are really not at all the same thing though. Glad to give you details on joining PCC or DF. I’m a member at both. They serve completely different purposes however and there’s no comparison on which is a better course. DF is one of the best layouts in the state and PCC is a solid, fun place to play golf.

I have been a member of a local club for about 7 years. I love the freedom of going to the club whenever and practicing or getting out for a few holes. All of that said if I lived closer I would work to join Desert Forest. I think it has much of what you are looking for. I dont think you will struggle there to find a good game, and it isnt overrun and overbooked like most of the clubs you mention.

I would also look at Tatum Ranch ... really good value for the money. Challenging course and they have a bunch of good solid young players that play competitive Saturday and Sunday rounds. I can get you in touch with a member if you are interested. They also have reciprocals all over the valley where you can play for reduced rate or cart fees (not sure which one) to give you the opportunity to play somewhere else.

If you want to consider a league, I would look at the NSMGA. While it is a net league, you still play within flights and the lower hc golfers have a good bunch of players. There are some events which favor the better players as well. Nice thing is it is well organized, good turnout, skins, ctps, side games, end of season event/playoffs, ryder cup style event, trip away. We play all over the valley/vicinity at the best courses..no(or very few) dogs.

You can come out as a guest and try it out. Let me know and I would be happy to have you as a guest.

I just joined Mesa on Friday. Played a prospective round last week and the course is in really good shape. Greens were rolling 10-10.5 which the members i played with said was a little on the slow side for normal but made sense given the course was flooded a week prior. The range is so so but it works. The short game area is pretty good and they have a mock hole of about 150 yards to practice wedges.

So far the people i met were really nice and welcoming. I played with 3 other guys who were all +3. 1 was a teaching pro and the other two were out of state college players. From what I'm told is there are a lot of good players filtering in there over the last few years.

The club isn't fancy but I prefer that. It's nice just not pretentious. I didn't care for the course the first time i played it a couple of years ago but after playing it a second time and really taking in the course and looking at it....it's pretty solid. The greens are small and pretty firm so there is a premium on iron play. Fairways are fairly tight but for the most part you can get away with a big miss. The greens are also pretty undulating so putting is tricky as well....it's not as easy as the scorecard/ratings dictate. The guys i was with probably shot around 72-75 as +3 so it's easy to make bogey but if you hit the green you won't have many long putts either.

For the price it's hard to go wrong in all honesty. I was thinking Moon Valley for a while but their rates and initiation fee increased quite a bit in the last 7 months. Also...the pace of play here is 3:45....takes a little getting used to after playing 99.9% public golf but it's a nice thing to have to get used to for sure.

Driver: Sim2 with Ventus Blue 6x
FWY: Sim 2 Ti w/ TenseiAV Raw Blue 75x
Hybrid: PXG 0317x 17* with Fuji Pro 2.0 85x
Irons: PXG 0211ST w/KBS Tour X
54*: Titleist SM6 S grind black finish
58*: New Level Golf SPN Forged M Grind
Putter: Toulon San Diego

I just joined Mesa on Friday. Played a prospective round last week and the course is in really good shape. Greens were rolling 10-10.5 which the members i played with said was a little on the slow side for normal but made sense given the course was flooded a week prior. The range is so so but it works. The short game area is pretty good and they have a mock hole of about 150 yards to practice wedges.

So far the people i met were really nice and welcoming. I played with 3 other guys who were all +3. 1 was a teaching pro and the other two were out of state college players. From what I'm told is there are a lot of good players filtering in there over the last few years.

The club isn't fancy but I prefer that. It's nice just not pretentious. I didn't care for the course the first time i played it a couple of years ago but after playing it a second time and really taking in the course and looking at it....it's pretty solid. The greens are small and pretty firm so there is a premium on iron play. Fairways are fairly tight but for the most part you can get away with a big miss. The greens are also pretty undulating so putting is tricky as well....it's not as easy as the scorecard/ratings dictate. The guys i was with probably shot around 72-75 as +3 so it's easy to make bogey but if you hit the green you won't have many long putts either.

For the price it's hard to go wrong in all honesty. I was thinking Moon Valley for a while but their rates and initiation fee increased quite a bit in the last 7 months. Also...the pace of play here is 3:45....takes a little getting used to after playing 99.9% public golf but it's a nice thing to have to get used to for sure.

Nice. I played Mesa a year ago and enjoyed it. A bit tee off the tee for my game. Is there much of a walking culture oct-April?

Nice. I played Mesa a year ago and enjoyed it. A bit tee off the tee for my game. Is there much of a walking culture oct-April?

It seems about 50/50 walking/riding in the mornings. The group I played with all walk. It's actually not a hard walk at all which surprised me a bit considering the elevation changes. The only annoying thing based on principle is that they charge you $5 to walk and take your own push cart....again it's only $5 but that is just weird imo lol.

Driver: Sim2 with Ventus Blue 6x
FWY: Sim 2 Ti w/ TenseiAV Raw Blue 75x
Hybrid: PXG 0317x 17* with Fuji Pro 2.0 85x
Irons: PXG 0211ST w/KBS Tour X
54*: Titleist SM6 S grind black finish
58*: New Level Golf SPN Forged M Grind
Putter: Toulon San Diego