Cobra's new King F9 Speedback Driver, Woods, Hybrids and Irons (NO BUY SELL TRADE POSTS)

GolfWRX

I figure I'll throw my review up, since I finally hit mine for the first time after staring at it sitting in the corner for over well over a month. I was able to get on a GC2 at golftec a few days ago... **Caution** I hadn't hit a ball since early January, Haha.... I warmed up with irons and was making decent contact and seeing pretty good distance and spin numbers. once I got about 50 swings in I broke out the drivers and all hell broke loose--

I brought my G400 LST 8.5* with HC HZrdus Yellow- playing 45" to compare with my F9 Pro Orange 60 TX - playing 45"

Headweight G400- 202g, F9 206g with 14/10 weights

My first 30 swings (alternating every 5-10 shots between drivers) were hot garbage. Everything was a 230-270 yd pull hook. I contemplated giving up at that point, but I'm old and stubborn, so I didn't quit- I just kept hitting crappy shots. Finally, after I had hit 100 balls total, I somewhat found my swing. After finding a moderately decent swing I hit about 10 balls with the LST and 20 balls with the F9. I was not bringing any heat, unfortunately. A combination of being tired and not having a grooved swing. Good shots were in the 150-155 mph ballspeed realm. I feel like I'm more 160ish when I'm in golfing shape. General findings:

f9 was a good 3 mph faster than g400 LST in ball speed on average. Spin numbers were a touch lower with LST 2200-2500 when I had the 10g front and 14g back in the f9 (2400-2800). When I went heavier weight forward in f9 I was seeing around same spin numbers as the LST. Both were very straight when I finally got my act together. Good for good, the f9 was probably about 5 yds longer overall (when in heavy weight forward position). f9 had the three longest drives of day- 284-287- total distance. Most of my good drives seemed to be in the 250-260ish carry distance.

There was a lot of variance in my swing, so I'm sure that is accounting for a lot of stuff. However, the biggest takeaway I have from the first time out and comparison is that the cobra was consistently faster than the LST. In addition, It just sounds and feels so much better than any other driver out there today, imo. It's very enjoyable to hit. I would probably choose it regardless even if I got better numbers with LST or epic flash (when I hit it). I got around same numbers when I hit Flash a few months ago, but the Flash sounded like an angry bear smashing a steel trash can into the ground- extremely obnoxious, especially in an indoor setting. It's the same reason I didn't like the ping g30/G line of drivers.

I'm anxious to test again when my swing is more grooved/in shape....

Callaway Paradym Triple 💎 10.5* Ventus Blue 6X/TR 6S
Titleist TSR2 16.5* (Set to 15.75*) Tour AD DI 7S
Titleist TSR2 18* Hybrid Tour AD IZ 85S
Titleist u505 4i (21*) Tour AD DI 95S

Srixon Zx7 MK II 5-PW, 51* AW - Modus 105S
Callaway Jaws 56*-Jaws Full Toe 60*-  DG 115 TI S200

Toulon Garage Custom Las Vegas H7 35”

Bummer, apparently LTD is like a unicorn and has a semi cult following here. I hopped on the band wagon and I'm not sold on it yet. For a guy like me that's still not consistent with my driver swing and a sometimes too wide in to out path, a very fade biased driver is a danger to any human on a fairway to my left.

Guys tell me to give regular LTD a shot which sits a bit more upright.... But I'd have to loft down and the site of an open face makes me pretty handsie.

Hit 9* F9 in store and really liked it. Spun like a top but I attribute that to the 50g R flex that the guy gave me. Apparently I look like 60 year old man. Straightest drives I've seen myself hit on a sim.

lol yea i know wrx'ers love the LTD Pro...

the F9 with std weight setup did spin a lot for me in-store -- however, with the 18g up front and a shaft switch -- it was good to go. the problem (at face value) with the F9 is the head is very very light (mentioned here a bit). however, once you figure the weights/shaft figured out - the spin drops. i'm down with my rogue 130 white to 2100-2300 rpms...

Yeah I had the weight back 50R Indiana Jones whip shaft set up, so that's to be expected. I'm feeling a lot more confident with a shorter driver these days anyway, so I'd go after market weights regardless. I'd rather get a lighter head and fill it with weight than to have something already at the max end of weight as is.

LTD felt like Thor's hammer when I mistakenly played it at stock 45.5''. X flex was playing like senior flex it seemed.

I traded in my LTD pro for my F9 and I'm pleasantly surprised by this.

I play a 44" driver shaft, so when the weights arrive that will be much better I think.

F9 just sounds so good, I really really like the flight and the numbers with my Kuro Kage DC XT

Checking in on this thread (along with some beautiful South FL weather) inspired me to put in a range session with my F9 Atmos Black 6x. I had been feeling a bit out of whack with my driver swing so worked on a more vertical wrist hinge and upright shaft orientation half way back, with an exaggerated shallowing move in transition. I'm also not one to typically mess much with driver settings, but figured I'd give it a shot.

Anyway, the setting that produced the best ball flights was +1D (draw). This was very odd as my irons are always 2 flat and I prefer flatter fairways and hybrids as well. Anyway, I was really moving out out there and it felt awesome. My predominant shot shape is a draw and I hate hooks, but this setting was working great today.

I'm playing tomorrow and will try the F9 on course again in this new setting and report back.

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

So weak, ordered Tour 3w off eBay with the coupon in the last few minutes. $200.

Hzrdus Smoke

Lol, I won one of the ksouth9 drivers that was discounted almost $48 with that coupon. Couldn’t hold myself even if I’m a good 20-25 days in Minnesota to start the season

Cobra F9, 8 Hzrdus Yellow
Tee CBX119 13, Tee EX10 Beta 18. Hzrdus Yellow
M2 Hy, 22 with AD DI 85S
M2 Hy, 25 with S+ 90S
P790 6-AW, Nippon 105S
Mizuno 56/14, 60/07
Scotty Cameron Mil Spec 350 Black Oxide
Titleist -ProV1 balls

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1152161-linkerpans-wtib-2015-edition/"]WITB Link[/url]

I figure I'll throw my review up, since I finally hit mine for the first time after staring at it sitting in the corner for over well over a month. I was able to get on a GC2 at golftec a few days ago... **Caution** I hadn't hit a ball since early January, Haha.... I warmed up with irons and was making decent contact and seeing pretty good distance and spin numbers. once I got about 50 swings in I broke out the drivers and all hell broke loose--

I brought my G400 LST 8.5* with HC HZrdus Yellow- playing 45" to compare with my F9 Pro Orange 60 TX - playing 45"

Headweight G400- 202g, F9 206g with 14/10 weights

My first 30 swings (alternating every 5-10 shots between drivers) were hot garbage. Everything was a 230-270 yd pull hook. I contemplated giving up at that point, but I'm old and stubborn, so I didn't quit- I just kept hitting crappy shots. Finally, after I had hit 100 balls total, I somewhat found my swing. After finding a moderately decent swing I hit about 10 balls with the LST and 20 balls with the F9. I was not bringing any heat, unfortunately. A combination of being tired and not having a grooved swing. Good shots were in the 150-155 mph ballspeed realm. I feel like I'm more 160ish when I'm in golfing shape. General findings:

f9 was a good 3 mph faster than g400 LST in ball speed on average. Spin numbers were a touch lower with LST 2200-2500 when I had the 10g front and 14g back in the f9 (2400-2800). When I went heavier weight forward in f9 I was seeing around same spin numbers as the LST. Both were very straight when I finally got my act together. Good for good, the f9 was probably about 5 yds longer overall (when in heavy weight forward position). f9 had the three longest drives of day- 284-287- total distance. Most of my good drives seemed to be in the 250-260ish carry distance.

There was a lot of variance in my swing, so I'm sure that is accounting for a lot of stuff. However, the biggest takeaway I have from the first time out and comparison is that the cobra was consistently faster than the LST. In addition, It just sounds and feels so much better than any other driver out there today, imo. It's very enjoyable to hit. I would probably choose it regardless even if I got better numbers with LST or epic flash (when I hit it). I got around same numbers when I hit Flash a few months ago, but the Flash sounded like an angry bear smashing a steel trash can into the ground- extremely obnoxious, especially in an indoor setting. It's the same reason I didn't like the ping g30/G line of drivers.

I'm anxious to test again when my swing is more grooved/in shape....

Lol love that last paragraph and reminded me of my G30ls...Loved that thing but sound and feel eventually made me move on but was a great driver imo. Loving the F9 but it took me two head and two shafts and loft adjustments to finally get it to where it is truly "King". Can't see this moving out of the bag for several years, hell I may even buy a white head just to have a back up to look at something different... For those still dialing in just trying to provide some hope as it took me nearly 6 weeks, 15 buckets of balls, but finally found the perfect set up...now just to stop tinkering as I'm pretty much maxed out with perfect ball flight and spin. Best of luck to those still searching...

So weak, ordered Tour 3w off eBay with the coupon in the last few minutes. $200.

Hzrdus Smoke

Lol, I won one of the ksouth9 drivers that was discounted almost $48 with that coupon. Couldn’t hold myself even if I’m a good 20-25 days in Minnesota to start the season

What coupon was that ?

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

Hzrdus Smoke

Don't know where you are at, but I would be thrilled if we were 20-25 days away from golf at this point. In my parts, we are expecting some heavy rain today and another 6-12" of snow tomorrow. Gotta love Minnesota winters!

Cobra LTDx LS 10.5* w/Kai'Li 70TX
Ping G430 Max 15* w/OG Ventus Blue 7X
Titleist TSR2 7w w/Ventus Red TR 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Bettinardi BB1 w/UST Mamiya All-In Graphite 
Mizuno Copper T22 52, 56, 60 w/MCA MMT 125TX Wedge Shafts
TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

15% eBay coupon from yesterday, was already marked down to $229

Was that yesterday only ?

Titleist Pro V1X

15% eBay coupon from yesterday, was already marked down to $229

Was that yesterday only ?

Get the ebay app and allow notifications. It'll let you know when all these sales happen. Fair warning though, it's impossible not to buy something when you have site wide 15-20% off ;)

Would that be via text ? Wouldn't think so. And, if not, I'm one of those guys who has very limited internet access on my phone plan so the "data mode" is not on as a routine thing. I only turn it on when I need it for something.

I turned on my notification for "deals and such" to get them via email - that should work (I think).

Titleist Pro V1X

I put the 3 wood in play yesterday. What a hammer, and the feel is grear. Standard head all standard settings. Have not tweaked. At 14.5 degrees got plenty of height off the deck and it goes long and straight. The rails make this club so easy. I hit one out of the rough, which I avoid with a 3 wood, and it made no difference. First Cobra FW I ever have gamed. I am impressed. Already thinking about the 5 wood.

I know guys aleays like the Tour heads, but the standard does not look large at all behind the ball. Like the shape and look from address. Launches easy off turf, real easy. Easy to work too. Strong competitor with any other top fairway wood. I had pretty much ended playing 3 woods off turf but the F9 3 wood is changing that.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

Love. Got rid of the red.

That looks SICK. Your own work or did you send it out for refinishing?

Thanks! My own work. Looks even better in person. The rest of the bag is getting the yellow/black theme as well.

Team TaylorMade

Qi10 Black Out 9° Lin-Q White 6X

Apex UW 17° AD-UB 7X

Qi10 Tour Rescue 3 Steelfiber i80 S

Qi10 Tour Rescue 4 Steelfiber i95 S

P7MB 23 5i-9i Modus 105 S

MG3 46 / 50 / 54 / 60

Spider GT Notchback

Been in Callaway woods for years, should be interesting...

I hit the diver and loved it,try this Tour 3w.

I just got my 10g weight and almost thought about putting it in but the head was 200g with the 14 and 2 at d6.5 can’t imagine if I threw the 10 and 14 in I would be at e sw range. What length are you playing the driver at?