Pro golfer scoring average without caddies

jambox107

How different/higher would pro golfers scoring averages be without the help of caddies? If pros had to carry their own bag, or use a push cart, and figure out their own numbers like us weekend warriors, i wonder if a 66 turns into a 68 or 69. Curious how many strokes you all think a pro caddie accounts for each round.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I usually shoot in the 70's and have had a couple rounds in the 60's. These super low rounds were always on courses that I knew well and was playing dam near perfect golf. I played a course that I had never played before and played with a guy who caddied for a couple pro's in the past and knew the course like the back of his hand. This man told me he would guide me around a bit as we played and basically "caddie" for me a little. My scores are usually a little higher on courses I don't know especially when you add elevation changes and wind into approach shots. That round, I shot a 68 with the help of this gentleman. I found that the direction that he gave throughout the round was game changing. I looked back at my choices before he would mention something such as club selection or green reading and I feel that I would have shot in the high 70's or higher if it wasn't for him. No, I was not prepared for this round and maybe I need to get a little better at understanding how elevation and wind will effect certain shot I have. This has always been difficult for me to know exactly how a wind will effect a shot and I can come up short often. I feel that caddies help tremendously on rounds where the player doesn't know the course well. Once you have played a course a good amount, you learn which greens slope, club choice on elevation changes, etc. Putting, approach shots and tee shots are a biggie and caddie feedback on those things are big. Too bad I don't have a caddie all the time...

All in all, yes, I feel caddies have a positive effect on scoring. After all, two heads are almost always better than one, especially when the other head is trained to know the answer when your head isn't sure. Yes, amateurs score real low without caddies, but I would love to see a tour player show up at a course he had never played before, play the front 9 with no help at all, then call in his caddie who knows the course for the back 9 and look at the scoring difference.

A buddy of mine, who also has worked with a couple tour pros on their swings told me a lot of the guys, when just playing a round for fun at places they don't know are low to mid 70's usually. Take that for what you will.

*The NE Florida Golf Realtor*

Titleist TSi3 9 deg / PX Hazardous Smoke Black RDX

Titleist 915 F 15 deg / Diamana 70
Titleist TSi2 18 deg Hybrid / PX Hazardous Smoke Black RDX
Titleist 716 MB PW-6i / T100 4i-5i Project X 6.0

Titleist Vokey SM5 50/8F

Titleist Vokey SM9 54/10S 58/10S

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

My guess, it's just a guess.... would be no more than maybe .25 of a stroke per round. So maybe 1 for the tournament.

Guys are in good enough shape to push a cart, and they know their games well

I think an underrated part of caddies is simply the camaraderie and company, but not sure that affects scores

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

You know a caddy is like a good buddy in the trenches with you.

They have skin in the game , you win, they win.

You both walked the course together and played together several times . I am sure it is helpful bouncing ideas off of them.

Also something not many people think of, is a different physical viewpoint . Your eyes are in the front of your head. They see a lot from your left, your right , behind you, in front. That is priceless.

I say that caddies add 30% of the quality we see out there to the game. And only take 5-7% of the pay.

They are a good investment.

So without them. 30% worse scores/experience had by fans, and a lot more meltdowns!! Wooo!

You both walked the course together and played together several times . I am sure it is helpful bouncing ideas off of them.

Also something not many people think of, is a different physical viewpoint . Your eyes are in the front of your head. They see a lot from your left, your right , behind you, in front. That is priceless.

I say that caddies add 30% of the quality we see out there to the game. And only take 5-7% of the pay.

So without them. 30% worse scores/experience had by fans, and a lot more meltdowns!! Wooo!

I’m in agreement with the “buddy factor” but 30% worse scores in relation to what? Overall score, relation to par?

Finishing four rounds @ -12 with and -9 without.?

I’m in agreement with the “buddy factor” but 30% worse scores in relation to what? Overall score, relation to par?

Overall score would be an interesting hypothesis. If par is 288 for the week (par 72) that would mean someone shooting par would be around 350 without a caddy.

Or about +62

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I’m in agreement with the “buddy factor†but 30% worse scores in relation to what? Overall score, relation to par?

I just think these courses especially this Florida swing would punish 1 mind versus 2. So quality of shots would go down. Birdies would go down, sand saves , driving accuracy , putting. On average your scores would be higher. Yeah each player losing 3-4 strokes a round I would think would be accurate.

Think of all the misses and second guessing themselves.

The course layouts would have to become easier to Nerf the course for them. Pro caddies bring a whole heck of a lot of knowledge and deal with a lot of the friction players do not think about. Fans who yell at them, fans moving, drunk people, all kinds of crazy stuff .

Iâm in agreement with the âbuddy factorâ but 30% worse scores in relation to what? Overall score, relation to par?

I just think these courses especially this Florida swing would punish 1 mind versus 2. So quality of shots would go down. Birdies would go down, sand saves , driving accuracy , putting. On average your scores would be higher. Yeah each player losing 3-4 strokes a round I would think would be accurate.

Think of all the misses and second guessing themselves.

The course layouts would have to become easier to Nerf the course for them. Pro caddies bring a whole heck of a lot of knowledge and deal with a lot of the friction players do not think about. Fans who yell at them, fans moving, drunk people, all kinds of crazy stuff .

Valid points, all the “admin” of a PGA round would add quite a bit to a player.

The caddies acting like traffic cops would be missed. The "knowledge factor" would not. The players all have the books and experience. There is a reason players play well even with family friends or even el tucan on the bag

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

Come on all, we need a strokes gained caddy stat. Right now! Then they can be paid based on that. It's of course not quantifiable, so... lol. At least not with current technology. Maybe if we can measure the impact of brain waves on performance? Initial intent vs caddie affected intent? Wild guess is since pro's play so many different courses, caddies chart them really well, and are worth like a stroke a round. If pro's had more time to research the courses, they would score just as well even without the caddies.

Callaway Paradym TD 10* Ventus Red TR 5S

Titleist TSR3 13.5* 3 Wood Tour AD-IZ 6S

Titleist TSR3 19* hybrid Modus GOST S

Titleist TSR2 24* hybrid Modus GOST S

Callaway Paradym Hybrid 27* Ventus non Velocore S

Titleist T100 2023 6-PW KBS Tour V S

Titleist SM8 50, 56, 60

Scotty Cameron X7.5 CS

It might not matter much to them. However, the best I ever did at the Club Championship was when I had a friend caddy for me. All I needed to do was focus on hitting the shot. Obviously different and I still got trounced, BTW

run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

I say give them a push cart, a GPS and a laser and let them play. Scores wouldn’t change. Of course we would miss out on all the witty back and forth between JS and Greller.

I think the tour requires it because it makes the whole process look more professional. All about image.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

i think that ... not sure how anyone can think carrying/pushing your own cart doesn't add some type of fatigue, whether physical or mental ... add to that the extra mental work to get yardages, discuss with yourself the shot (that would be very entertaining), answering the same question over & over (the wind is still off your right at 5 mph), etc ... i think it adds at least 3 shots ...

i think that ... not sure how anyone can think carrying/pushing your own cart doesn't add some type of fatigue, whether physical or mental ... add to that the extra mental work to get yardages, discuss with yourself the shot (that would be very entertaining), answering the same question over & over (the wind is still off your right at 5 mph), etc ... i think it adds at least 3 shots ...

It doesn’t. European Tour allows Challenge Tour players to not take caddies. They don’t get magically worse and many choose not to take a caddy, because the caddies at that level of golf aren’t providing much value, there aren’t that many great caddies.

Their whole career they’ve carried their own bag and played without a caddy. They don’t forget how to play golf.

If caddies carried only, no advice, just pull the club, I believe the rounds would be faster, but would the scores be better? We don't know do we? Some players need the comfort and confidence from a caddie, others do not.

Titleist TSR-1 10.5 Speeder Driver, 3-wood, 7-wood
Callaway Epic Star Max, 5-wood

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 6-AW

Titleist TSR-1 Hybrids 5 and 6 

TM Putter

Srixon Z-Star