2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

2019 - Recent Sub-460cc drivers

bulls9999

OK, I find myself only able to hit sub-460cc drivers; I know I'm not the only one as this is a recurring topic. Currently love my Cally Optiforce 440 (I'm also left-handed).

Can anyone add to this list? Callaway has seemingly abandoned us in the sub-460cc category.

Callaway

- Optiforce, 440cc

- XR16 Pro, 440cc

- XR Pro, 440cc

Titleist

- 917D3 (440)

- 915D3 (440)

Ping:

- G410 plus (455cc)

- G410 SFT (455)

- G400 (445)

- G400 LST (445)

- G400 SFT (445)

Taylormade

- M5 Tour (435cc, RH only)

- M3 440 (RH only)

- M1 440 (RH only)

- r11 TP (440cc) - LH

- r7 limited (2008)(440cc) - LH

Mizuno

- JPX-850 (440cc)

GHIN Index 12.9
LH Epic Flash Driver-LH, 10.5*, Project X EvenFlow Riptide 50 (Light)
LH Callaway Rogue 5-wood (18*), 7-wood (20*); Aldila Synergy 60-Reg
LH Callaway Rogue ST Pro 4-AW, Recoil Dart 75 F3
LH Cleveland RTX 50*, 54*, 58*
LH Odyssey Double Wide Stroke Lab Putter

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm with you 100%

I've always liked the smaller head shape of a driver. 460cc no matter what tech or eye- trickerey is used to make it look small, well..... doesn't work for me.

Until the G400, the smaller drivers were usually less forgiving... (sldr, all the other TM 440's and even the Titleist)

G400 has been easily the driver to fit my eye the best. Hit a buddy's Cobra F9 the other day since the hype around it has been so real. It looks good, and performed well for the few passes I made at it. I just couldn't get over the club head size.

Hoping the g400 goes full closeout in a few months so I can pick up 1 or 2 backup heads as I am not a fan of how the G410+ looks and i dont see more 440cc-445cc heads coming back anytime soon.

I will say though, as a fast swinger, I have cracked 2 Ping g400 drivers on the face. Both times were replaced almost no questions asked. The head just looks A+ to me and so do my numbers and ball flight. Could I find something more forgiving with a bigger head size? Probably. Hit a G400 Max to see what the hype was about and couldn't stand the size of it regardless of how it performed.

Looks like the G400 will be in the bag for a LONG while...

I'm with you. Was wanting a 'backup' 2nd 440ish driver. I currently have a Cally Optiforce 440/LH and can get another on the bay for ~$50 and was thinking of a newer Cally, perhaps XR16 Pro, but don't know why there's so few of them available and the ones that are around $175-ish, don't know why. So either way, I might end up with another (and reason I'm trying to stick with those is that I already have 3-4 optifit-adapter shafts that I can switch out).

I'm with you 100%

I've always liked the smaller head shape of a driver. 460cc no matter what tech or eye- trickerey is used to make it look small, well..... doesn't work for me.

Until the G400, the smaller drivers were usually less forgiving... (sldr, all the other TM 440's and even the Titleist)

G400 has been easily the driver to fit my eye the best. Hit a buddy's Cobra F9 the other day since the hype around it has been so real. It looks good, and performed well for the few passes I made at it. I just couldn't get over the club head size.

Hoping the g400 goes full closeout in a few months so I can pick up 1 or 2 backup heads as I am not a fan of how the G410+ looks and i dont see more 440cc-445cc heads coming back anytime soon.

I will say though, as a fast swinger, I have cracked 2 Ping g400 drivers on the face. Both times were replaced almost no questions asked. The head just looks A+ to me and so do my numbers and ball flight. Could I find something more forgiving with a bigger head size? Probably. Hit a G400 Max to see what the hype was about and couldn't stand the size of it regardless of how it performed.

GHIN Index 12.9

I'm with you. Was wanting a 'backup' 2nd 440ish driver. I currently have a Cally Optiforce 440/LH and can get another on the bay for ~$50 and was thinking of a newer Cally, perhaps XR16 Pro, but don't know why there's so few of them available and the ones that are around $175-ish, don't know why. So either way, I might end up with another (and reason I'm trying to stick with those is that I already have 3-4 optifit-adapter shafts that I can switch out).

I'm with you 100%

Unfortunately, 460cc is forgiving.... and now they have made them very fast if not faster then the smaller heads. Which is my guess why they don't make many anymore. Pleasing to the eye, yes. Performance benefit over a 460cc anymore? probably not.

Smaller heads used to be faster and less forgiving then their big cc'ed counter parts. Very workable but usually horrid on mishits. SLDR would go for MILES if nutted on the screws with some of the lowest spin you could find out of a head. If you missed one even a little bit, you were in for a rough day.

Smaller driver heads are almost a niche' in the driver market now with how fast the 460cc heads have become and how low spinning these heads are now. So now, as long as you can stand the looks of a bigger driver, why wouldn't you go with something just as fast if not faster, and much more forgiving.

For me, moving into a bigger head is a bridge I am not willing to cross......... just yet.

No disrespect but a 440cc driver is only 4.3% below the max allowable. Not exactly a profound difference.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

No disrespect but a 440cc driver is only 4.3% below the max allowable. Not exactly a profound difference.

I'm with this. I thought the preference for the slightly smaller models was usually the ability to put the weights more towards the face / forward (which reduced spin slightly but also made it harder to hit).

Shooter obviously gets how similar the two options have become performance wise though.

OK, I find myself only able to hit sub-460cc drivers; I know I'm not the only one as this is a recurring topic. Currently love my Cally Optiforce 440 (I'm also left-handed).

Can anyone add to this list? Callaway has seemingly abandoned us in the sub-460cc category.

Callaway

- Optiforce, 440cc

- XR16 Pro, 440cc

- XR Pro, 440cc

Titleist

- 917D3 (440)

- 915D3 (440)

Ping:

- G410 plus (455cc)

- G410 SFT (455)

- G400 (445)

- G400 LST (445)

- G400 SFT (445)

Taylormade

- M5 Tour (435cc, RH only)

- M3 440 (RH only)

- M1 440 (RH only)

- r11 TP (440cc) - LH

- r7 limited (2008)(440cc) - LH

Mizuno

- JPX-850 (440cc)

R15 430 (LH Tour Issue Only), SLDR 430, Nike VR Pro LTD (430), Nike VR- S Covert Tour (435), Nike Vapor Flex 440, Srixon Z765, Srixon Z355

Not sure if this was directed at me or OP but for me it is strictly a visual thing. Like I stated above, they are very close if not identical performance.

Just strictly a visual thing for me. I enjoy the look of a compact head. This could be almost a how you like the look of blades vs gi irons. Alot of people would probably perform better with bigger, more forgiving irons. But most can't stand the look of gi or sgi irons. They say play the largest iron you can stand to look at right? Same thing for me with the driver.

Not sure if this was directed at me or OP but for me it is strictly a visual thing. Like I stated above, they are very close if not identical performance.

Just strictly a visual thing for me. I enjoy the look of a compact head. This could be almost a how you like the look of blades vs gi irons. Alot of people would probably perform better with bigger, more forgiving irons. But most can't stand the look of gi or sgi irons. They say play the largest iron you can stand to look at right? Same thing for me with the driver.

I think we were just wondering if the size difference is really that noticeable. For you, it seems to be.

I can tell the shape difference between a D2 and D3. I guess there's also a size difference there but it really doesn't bother me. There both big and ugly. I have to go to like a 983E before the size is really apparent.

But I don't care about looks much. I'm a Ping G iron guy and would be happy to get a new GMax driver...

I think we were just wondering if the size difference is really that noticeable. For you, it seems to be.

I can tell the shape difference between a D2 and D3. I guess there's also a size difference there but it really doesn't bother me. There both big and ugly. I have to go to like a 983E before the size is really apparent.

But I don't care about looks much. I'm a Ping G iron guy and would be happy to get a new GMax driver...

Everyone is different when it comes to visual preference. Very similar to why people tend to gravitate toward a similar putter head they have always played as oppossed to buying something/ getting fitted toward something that may give them the help they need on the greens.

Driver appearance to putter appearance is a little apple to oranges but deep down is the same visually appealing sensor in your brain that tells you what you do and don't like. Some people can look past the appearance and go strictly by performance, other people wouldn't even touch a club because of its visual profile. And that goes from top of the bag to the bottom.

And to add, visually to me, I really can tell the difference.

G400 vs G400 Max

Same look head, same visual features, different CC's.

Put them on the ground next to each other and it is a HUGE difference in my eyes. Swinging them is the same thing. Same shaft, same swing weight and the MAX just "feels" bigger to me which is something that I dislike.

A 440cc driver could be made to look huge if the designer elongated the top crown front to back. And a 460cc driver could conversely be made to look compact by doing the opposite. It's not about the cc's.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

A 440cc driver could be made to look huge if the designer elongated the top crown front to back. And a 460cc driver could conversely be made to look compact by doing the opposite. It's not about the cc's.

...... key word in your post is COULD. I'm talking about what is on the market currently. Where in histroy has a manufacturer made a driver side by side with a smaller version and had the smaller cc'ed driver LOOK bigger...

What you're saying is like saying a Chevy suburban could look smaller if they made it taller but they shortened it. And the Chevy Tahoe could look bigger compared to the suburban by making it longer and lowering the overall height while keeping all of the cubic feet numbers the same.

I'm not going to entertain your comments anymore because you obviously aren't getting what we are talking about.

*EDIT**^^^ This comment was before my second cup of morning coffee kicked in so I do apologize how that came off. LOL**

G400 vs G400 Max

Put them on the ground next to each other and it is a HUGE difference in my eyes. Swinging them is the same thing. Same shaft, same swing weight and the MAX just "feels" bigger to me which is something that I dislike.

Here's a fun(?) experiment.

Next time you're at a golf store put 2 identical drivers on the ground next to each other and your eyes directly above in between the 2.

Which (if either) driver head looks bigger ?

Now reverse them. Same question, which head looks bigger ?

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

G400 vs G400 Max

Next time you're at a golf store put 2 identical drivers on the ground next to each other and your eyes directly above in between the 2.

Hey, just curious, but what would we be trying to figure out with this test?

The way I can get comfotable looking at a driver is by looking at them at address the way they would sit behind a shot. wouldn't need to put 2 drivers side by side to get any info if it didnt look good behind the ball to me.......

G400 vs G400 Max

The way I can get comfotable looking at a driver is by looking at them at address the way they would sit behind a shot. wouldn't need to put 2 drivers side by side to get any info if it didnt look good behind the ball to me.......

The purpose is to see how your eyes can sometimes fool you.

Ever see a 3-card monte game ? Think you could find the red queen ? I'm betting you couldn't - not if the dealer was trying to hide it that is.

I'm thinking the point Nessy was trying to make is that unless you already knew the volume of a driver head and he gave you 2 different drivers and you only looked down at address, there's a good chance the one you'd think was larger actually was not.

Titleist Pro V1X

G400 vs G400 Max

Ever see a 3-card monte game ? Think you could find the red queen ? I'm betting you couldn't - not if the dealer was trying to hide it that is.

I'm thinking the point Nessy was trying to make is that unless you already knew the volume of a driver head and he gave you 2 different drivers and you only looked down at address, there's a good chance the one you'd think was larger actually was not.

I have never personally seen a 3-card monte game so not to sure how that works.

But once again. IN MY EYES AND OPINION, 430-440cc heads LOOK better and more compact to my eye. Whether it be the shape, size, color, whatever it is visually, smaller heads do it for me. The only visual thing for me is how it looks behind the ball. I don't care what it looks like next to its sibling or same driver or 15 other drivers. I care about putting one individual driver behind the ball and seeing if it visually appeals to me.

Some people can't tell visually. But to suggest/tell ME that I wouldn't know the difference is a stretch. You don't have my eyes or my perception.. If my eyes are possibly fooling me according to everyone else, well then they wouldn't be my eyes or perception.

Every single driver that I have played that was 460cc looks like a 460cc driver. Every smaller headed driver I have put down behind the ball, looks like a smaller driver head (usually 430-440cc). Would i know the difference between 440cc and 445cc? Probably not. My eyes are not that good. But 20cc difference and I can tell. With the drivers that are out or have come out on the market. Not talking hypothetical drivers where weight and design can be moved to make it look smaller/ bigger.

I was at PGA Tour superstore getting my G400 replaced for a face crack on Monday and was curious about the new G410+. I hadn't really read about it at all and I hadn't seen the head size in cc's. The second I put it down, I could instantly tell it was bigger then the g400. Put them down next to each other to compare and I was correct. It was bigger.

The other thing that I mentioned was the mass of the driver in the swing. You could have a 203g g400 vs. a 203g g400 MAX with the same shaft, same length, same swing weight, same cpm down to the decimal and the bigger head would FEEL bigger to me. Even though they are the same weight with the same characteristics, there is still more volume of space in the 460cc head as it just takes up more space. The drag coeffitients would also be different between the 2 heads which in turn also leads to different feelings. Now i am not going all Bryson DeChambeau, I am just speaking on "feel" which can be different for everyone.

The beauty of golf is that everyone has different feels and visuals for the most part. Or else why wouldnt we all be playing the max MOI driver, max moi irons, and so on that still allows you to hit the shots you want. I can very well hit a bigger driver just as well if not better then its smaller counter part. But visually, I enjoy looking at a more compact head behind the ball and gives me more confidence. I don't have the confidence to hit a bigger driver head like I do with a small driver head.

Scotty Cameron has tried to make Tiger Woods dozens of backup putters to replace old faithful. And what does he still use? He has said that nothing can replicate his OG putter which he still uses to this day because of how it "feels". Even if the dozens of other ones have the same head weight, balance point, grip, so on.....

And that all comes down to feel. I haven't spent 1/1000th of the time swinging and hitting putts my whole life like Tiger has, but when it comes to feel, it is a completely personal thing. Some people have different feels. Some people can feel a shaft load with knowing exactly where the bend point is. Other people dont know the difference between a $20 made for Bassara and a $600 TPT.

**Edited for spelling**

I think several manufacturers (TM, Cally) missed the mark when they came out with their ‘mini-drivers’ which were like 340cc, slightly larger than a 3-wood (ie., 3-deep).... should have made a 400cc. But swing wise, even the 440cc swings easier/smoother (for me) than a 460, otherwise I'd be using one. I just picked up a Big Bertha 2018 alpha (that came with a Fuji Speeder 565 Reg)?, that I switch out the same shaft that's on my Optiforce 440, but it in the BBalpha, and ehhh, besides a dumb 'ting' sound, it feels sluggish and feels like I'm swinging in slow motion. When I put the shaft from the BBalpha in my Optiforce 440, wow, I like it even better than the Project X shaft that was in there...I can play either one. Don't know what it is, but more than just looks, it's as if it's aerodynamically different; sorry if I can't pin it down better than that on why it feels different. Could the 20cc difference be a different in head weight?

GHIN Index 12.9

G400 vs G400 Max

I have never personally seen a 3-card monte game so not to sure how that works.

But once again. IN MY EYES AND OPINION, 430-440cc heads LOOK better and more compact to my eye. Whether it be the shape, size, color, whatever it is visually, smaller heads do it for me. The only visual thing for me is how it looks behind the ball. I don't care what it looks like next to its sibling or same driver or 15 other drivers. I care about putting one individual driver behind the ball and seeing if it visually appeals to me.

I guess my point is that from the address position, pretty much ALL you can tell about a driver is the size from the TOP of it. You can barely see the hitting surface and can't tell the depth of the face.

You can have many different volume heads appear to be exactly the same at address.

That's pretty much it.

But you can tell the difference. IMO most couldn't. Good for you. :good:

Titleist Pro V1X

I know, I was just wanting something that was more recent, especially with an adapter that I can change out to a shaft I like better when I find one. Titleist has a bunch back then and still do; their D3's are 440's.

Yes,

Titleist 905T = 400cc (https://www.titleist.com/golf-clubs/drivers/2006-pro-titanium-905t )

Titleist 905S = 400cc (https://www.titleist.com/golf-clubs/drivers/2006-pro-titanium-905s )

Titleist 905R = 460cc (https://www.titleist.com/golf-clubs/drivers/2006-pro-titanium-905r )

Go further back.....like '07 and before. Many classics to choose from that will stand up today, if they fit you.

One example of a classic that gets talked about all the time on this forum, is the Titleist 905R. They claim it's 460cc, but it definitely looks smaller than most any other "460" in the last 12 years

GHIN Index 12.9

Callaway made a PM440 (can't remember if was Epic or Rogue) but obviously never for sale to public. Would like to buy one off Phil if he had any leftovers!!

OP - I, like you, prefer the more compact look. I think the profile is more important than the actual volume of the head, for me at least. The Callaway Epic/Rogue/Flash sz models are much smaller looking at address than their standard models. Same goes for the TS3 vs the TS2. It's just the shaping of the head to allow more weight closer to the face to reduce spin.

NSXGUY- Not sure if you were being sarcastic but, I got cha man. I completely understand what you mean from the top of it.

Just going by releases, the smaller cc'ed heads have smaller profiles in line with the cc's which is why I guess we gravitate toward those smaller heads. Because they have a more compact look at address. Not saying there will never be a 440cc driver that looks like a 460cc or vice versa. Just going by past releases and how the smaller cc'ed clubs are always more compact behind the ball.

The Sub Z's get pretty close to looking compact because its more pear shaped player profile but is still 460cc.

My first thought was R9 SuperDeep. <shrug>

I have one, it looks smaller than my 440cc Fly Z+

You could always spring for an A Grind Classic at 350cc....

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

I think I read that the Callaway Razr Fit was 440, but only the 9.5 and 8.5...

Driver: still looking.....
4 Wood: Kamui Pro TP-XF 17.5° + Fujikura Speeder Evolution VI FW70x @ 42 1/2".

7 Wood: Kamui Pro TP-XF 22.5° + Fujikura Speeder Evolution VI FW80x @ 41 3/4".
Irons: Kamui Pro KP-102 5i-PW + KBS TGI 110 + 1/2".
Wedges: Callaway Jaws Forged 50°/55°/60° + KBS C-Taper
Putter: SeeMore SB1 + Accra FX300.