2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

How to teach a kid to break 70

e9v6dI6.jpg

Stats for spring season of one of my girls. Tournament rounds only. To have the opportunity to break 70 almost every time you need to hit it at an elite level

She could really go low if she could find a Fairway.

Looking at those stats make me want to cry.

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

e9v6dI6.jpg

Stats for spring season of one of my girls. Tournament rounds only. To have the opportunity to break 70 almost every time you need to hit it at an elite level

BTW, nice job on the Golf.com 2019 Teachers to Watch list!

Thank you.

e9v6dI6.jpg

Looking at those stats make me want to cry.

Lots of people say the same thing about her swing haha. She has potential to be real special.

e9v6dI6.jpg

How is her mental game I am assuming that she knows she can break par and that has a lot to do with it as well. Also at what point do you say a score is the way the ball bounces that day.

When you say not hitting fairways does that mean she has issues with her driver not going strait. I think once girls go above 220 or so a lot kids have issues with hitting a predictable driver off the tee. Probably not her but a lot kids have that issue.

e9v6dI6.jpg

How is her mental game I am assuming that she knows she can break par and that has a lot to do with it as well. Also at what point do you say a score is the way the ball bounces that day.

When you say not hitting fairways does that mean she has issues with her driver not going strait. I think once girls go above 220 or so a lot kids have issues with hitting a predictable driver off the tee. Probably not her but a lot kids have that issue.

She hits 92% of her fairways. He was joking. She hits it 250ish. Her mental game and putting are her biggest weaknesses but improving. You can have the best mental game and attitude in the world, but if you don’t hit 13+ greens it’s very difficult to break 70 consistently. You have to have the ability to put yourself in a position to shoot those scores.

Bounces, good and bad, even out over time. You’re not gonna struggle to break 70 because of bad bounces. Ball doesn’t tend to bounce into trouble if it lands in the fat side of the green

• Like 1

e9v6dI6.jpg

She hits 92% of her fairways. He was joking. She hits it 250ish. Her mental game and putting are her biggest weaknesses but improving. You can have the best mental game and attitude in the world, but if you don’t hit 13+ greens it’s very difficult to break 70 consistently. You have to have the ability to put yourself in a position to shoot those scores.

Bounces, good and bad, even out over time. You’re not gonna struggle to break 70 because of bad bounces. Ball doesn’t tend to bounce into trouble if it lands in the fat side of the green

I figured she could hit a fairway just was interested in what her shortcomings were. I think a lot people have potential or can be taught to break par but lack the talent to go lower.

The truly low players can get that ball within 10 feet consistently to make birdies. You can probably give or take a few feet but the chance of birdie goes down a lot even if your a great putter. Not too many people have that much control over the ball.

e9v6dI6.jpg

I sort of figured that I was just wondering what areas needed improvement. What I meant by the way the ball bounces was not that were going to have an issue breaking 70 but for them to have a really low day say below 65 you need to ball to break your way.

I know you mentioned putting as weakness but a certain point is it realistic to think more putts could be sunk. This is assuming she is hitting in a good percent within 10 feet. I have seen tour players do it but not too many people get the ball consistently within 10 feet from the fairway for a decent chance at birdie.

e9v6dI6.jpg

I sort of figured that I was just wondering what areas needed improvement. What I meant by the way the ball bounces was not that were going to have an issue breaking 70 but for them to have a really low day say below 65 you need to ball to break your way.

I know you mentioned putting as weakness but a certain point is it realistic to think more putts could be sunk. This is assuming she is hitting in a good percent within 10 feet. I have seen tour players do it but not too many people get the ball consistently within 10 feet from the fairway.

She shot -8 in her last event with 17 lipouts in 54 holes. She could make a lot more putts.

You don’t need lucky bounces to shoot 65. You need to be good. Plenty of guys shoot mid 60s regularly. On PGA Tour conditions at 7,400 yards it’s gonna happen less often, but on your standard golf course it’d happen regularly.

She shot -8 in her last event with 17 lipouts in 54 holes. She could make a lot more putts.

You don’t need lucky bounces to shoot 65. You need to be good. Plenty of guys shoot mid 60s regularly. On PGA Tour conditions at 7,400 yards it’s gonna happen less often, but on your standard golf course it’d happen regularly.

To me the big question to me far the putts are. If we’re talking about 30 foot putts it just means the ball was not dropping that day.Which is just the way golf is some days. If we’re talking 6 foot putts that is another matter. I have a feeling 6ft putts are not an issue.

To shoot low you also need to be able to sink putts at least 6 ft. Realistic I would think sinking a high percent of 10ft to considered excellent for anyone. Above those distances the odds are just against you to make them.

To me the big question to me far the putts are. If we’re talking about 30 foot putts it just means the ball was not dropping that day.Which is just the way golf is some days. If we’re talking 6 foot putts that is another matter. I have a feeling 6ft putts are not an issue.

To shoot low you also need to be able to sink putts at least 6 ft. Realistic I would think sinking a high percent of 10ft to considered excellent for anyone. Above those distances the odds are just against you to make them.

60% of those lipouts were inside 12’. In well aware of the stats. She’s not a good putter and can easily make more putts

Hmmm...is your daughter's name Alexa Pano or Lexi Thompson? Those are awesome stats for the "Last 7" rounds...

btw - what app is that with the stats?

Decade

And not my daughter. Student.

60% of those lipouts were inside 12'. In well aware of the stats. She's not a good putter and can easily make more putts

Iteach

Thanks for the info I think the thing that stands out to me is Stats are good but they obviously don't tell the whole story. You really have to play your game and not someone else's. This means playing to your strengths.

Obviously to break 70 I think you need to have a combination of things but you don't need to be perfect at everything.

The copying other peoples games I think happens a lot in junior golf and in the case of my kid has been an issue where it costs strokes in tournaments.

60% of those lipouts were inside 12'. In well aware of the stats. She's not a good putter and can easily make more putts

Iteach

Thanks for the info I think the thing that stands out to me is Stats are good but they obviously don't tell the whole story. You really have to play your game and not someone else's. This means playing to your strengths.

Obviously to break 70 I think you need to have a combination of things but you don't need to be perfect at everything.

The copying other peoples games I think happens a lot in junior golf and in the case of my kid has been an issue where it costs strokes in tournaments.

http://www.golfwrx.com/531182/how-power-helps-your-golf-game-and-its-not-how-you-think/

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

Tiger shouldn't your kid focus on breaking 80 first? Why jump the gun? Or even shooting in the 80's more consistent basis? With her distance of 250 and ss of over 100 shouldn't breaking 80 be easy for her?

She does all the time and is going lower ever week as she practices a lot. I just ask the question because I think we all would like to figure out how to get our kids lowers. It's not an easy answer. No need to get another thread locked. Why is this even important? Actually both of my kids are well above normal in swing speed and distance and I confirmed that with pretty reliable source who has plenty of experience.

Tiger shouldn't your kid focus on breaking 80 first? Why jump the gun? Or even shooting in the 80's more consistent basis? With her distance of 250 and ss of over 100 shouldn't breaking 80 be easy for her?

She does all the time and is going lower ever week as she practices a lot. I just ask the question because I think we all would like to figure out how to get our kids score lower. You have to learn to score low and it not just talent that gets you there. It's not an easy answer either. No need to get another thread locked. Why is this even important?

If you have to know both of my kids are well above normal in swing speed and distance and I confirmed that with pretty reliable source who has plenty of experience. Being extra long at a young age presents some very different challenges when playing short courses that girls tend to play. It's a very different game not harder but you have to play different.

In about 6 years you and me can we can joke about it when when my youngest who is 8 now is playing with your kid in a tournament. From your posts your kid sounds like she may be better than you think she is.

Looking at those (great) stats, the putts per round stand out to me as the one weak area. Every other number is elite IMO.

My experience watching girls break 70 is

1. Got keep the ball in play off the tee. Pounding it down the middle helps but is not critical.

Then either

2a. Throwing darts on approach shots

or

2b. Dropping putts like crazy

My kid can't putt to save her life so when she does break 70 (which is not often) it is because she throws darts. Watching the better junior girls I see the ones that go low typically do it because they sink a bunch in the 10-20 foot range. Still need half decent ball striking to get the ball to 20 feet but they don't necessarily throw darts. Of course when they have a round of throwing darts you start seeing the mid-60s rounds.

I will also add that to me it seems superior ball striking is the common thread with girls who consistently shoot low (the top Canadian junior girl has immaculate ball control with her irons). They also can play a round where nothing looks great but they still post a sub-70 round, i.e., they simply can get the ball into the hole in less strokes than others.

She does all the time and is going lower ever week as she practices a lot. I just ask the question because I think we all would like to figure out how to get our kids score lower. You have to learn to score low and it not just talent that gets you there. It's not an easy answer either. No need to get another thread locked. Why is this even important?

If you have to know both of my kids are well above normal in swing speed and distance and I confirmed that with pretty reliable source who has plenty of experience. Being extra long at a young age presents some very different challenges when playing short courses that girls tend to play. It's a very different game not harder but you have to play different.

In about 6 years you and me can we can joke about it when when my youngest who is 8 now is playing with your kid in a tournament. From your posts your kid sounds like she may be better than you think she is.

All the time huh? You do know tournaments results are posted online. Here one for example

https://imgjgt.bluegolf.com/bluegolf/imgjgt18/event/imgjgt1812/contest/1/leaderboard.htm

No I don't think my kid is great at golf as you do. I think she above average but that's all it is, not asking how to break 70 when your daughter struggles to break 100. But then again I'm not asking about what it takes to break 70 when clearly your focus on what she should be trying to break is off.

Clearly learning to score is a part of the game that you overlooked. Doesn't matter how long any one is if you can't get it in the hole.

all the time huh? You know they post results online.

its important because you are missing the big picture. If you are shooting in the 80 and 90s the focus should be trying to break those number on a constant basic not worrying about something that is currently unattainable. Yes you claim both your kids are top 1% of speed everyone on here knows what you claim but this is Golfwrx so there is that. Playing a shorter course being a long hitter is easy if you have any course management skills.

My kid? naa she okay good but not great. She long for her age but not top 1% but I don't go around claiming that. I know what she struggles at and keeps her from scoring well. Perhaps they will perhaps they won't. My kid will be at worlds if your up for a challenge.

all the time huh? You know they post results online.

its important because you are missing the big picture. If you are shooting in the 80 and 90s the focus should be trying to break those number on a constant basic not worrying about something that is currently unattainable. Yes you claim both your kids are top 1% of speed everyone on here knows what you claim but this is Golfwrx so there is that. Playing a shorter course being a long hitter is easy if you have any course management skills.

My kid? naa she okay good but not great. She long for her age but not top 1% but I don't go around claiming that. I know what she struggles at and keeps her from scoring well. Perhaps they will perhaps they won't. My kid will be at worlds if your up for a challenge.

Public forum I just sent you a PM instead.

My opinion

Driving: Keep it and play and the longer the better, in today's game fairways aren't as important as long as you have clear shots to the hole and the rough isn't brutal

Long Game: Be pretty sufficient getting long clubs at least on or in good spots, also easy way to get birdies is to get on or around the green in 2 on par 5's (this is the bread and butter of under par rounds).

Irons: Be able to hit a high % of greens and be able to get a couple kick in's or short ones a round

Wedges: Be lethal from 100 and in and able to get up and down chipping. This will save pars and get your birdies on short par 4's and when close to the green in 2 on 5's

Putting: Be a great short putter and good lag putter for 3 putt avoidance.

To consistently shoot in the 60's you have to make some putts, I've had great ball striking rounds that weren't in the 60's mostly due to putting. When you knock it close or need to scrap a par, those inside of 8 feet putts make the difference. Play smart and strategically and don't shoot yourself in the foot (penalties, short sides). String pars together, birdie some par 5's then hit a couple close irons and you are there!

If you are decently long you can almost consider the course a par 68 (4 par 5's), at least that is how I approach it.

Callaway Mavrik Sub Zero 9*, AutoFlex 505X 46.5" 
Titleist TSi3 15 - GD Tour AD-DI 7X
Titleist 818 H2 19 - GD Tour AD-DI 105X

Mizuno HMB - Modus 120X 4 Iron
Mizuno 921 Tour - Modus 120X 5-9

Vokey SM8 Raw 46, 50, 54, 60 DG Tour Issue S400
Scotty Cameron FTUO X5R 
Titleist ProV1

Ok I know this a stretch goal for all of us and everyone says it a mental thing that will hold your score back. But truly what type of game do you need to break 70 almost every time? I am only throwing out the 70 number because if were honest we all would want out kid be that good. It really could be any number like 80,90 or 100 but I think we all like more birdies in our life.

Actually, I think if we were honest we would only want our kid to be happy. It's fine to want to see your kid succeed in something in life but wanting something for them that they don't want is a great way to ruin something for the kid. I knew a kid growing up who had all the talent on earth for golf but hated it by the time he was 16 due to familial pressure.

But if a kid wants to break 70 then I would really suggest that they get a great wedge game together which extends to 125 yards. Get one of those portable launch monitors and wear the hell out of some wedges. Learn how to read greens by obtaining and using a perfect putter or a Pelz putting ramp. Then dedicate their life to the sport and hope for some good breaks to go their way(no injuries, good mental game, opportunity to practice on an unlimited basis, continued desire to improve, lack of distractions. . . .).

Ok I know this a stretch goal for all of us and everyone says it a mental thing that will hold your score back. But truly what type of game do you need to break 70 almost every time? I am only throwing out the 70 number because if were honest we all would want out kid be that good. It really could be any number like 80,90 or 100 but I think we all like more birdies in our life.

Actually, I think if we were honest we would only want our kid to be happy. It's fine to want to see your kid succeed in something in life but wanting something for them that they don't want is a great way to ruin something for the kid. I knew a kid growing up who had all the talent on earth for golf but hated it by the time he was 16 due to familial pressure.

Nothing like giving parental advice on social media when it wasn't asked for.... smh

It has everything to do with comfort level of the young golfer. Is the junior 'comfortable' shooting in the 60's in tournaments? My son who plays D1 golf, will go out during a casual round and break 70 about 90% of the time (If he fails to break 70 it usually is the result of one bad hole). For this spring season thus far (8 rounds), he has broken 70 four times (all par 72's). That would suggest a conversion rate of 50%. However, in the first two tournaments he was vying for the individual title and his final round score of 74 was much higher than the norm. Although, my son is indeed comfortable shooting in the high 60's, the pressure of the individual title (outside his comfort zone) resulted in less than optimum results.

After the second tournament, the team did some work with a sports psychologist.

Going into the 3rd and final round of his last event week, my son once again found himself tied for the lead. He opened with a bogey and I thought, 'here we go again'. He would close out in a final round 67 and win the tournament going away. I'm not saying definitively that the sports psychologist was the positive influence that resulted in the 'W', but I am not willing to rule it out either, Keep in mind, my son has won multiple D1 events, however getting there was a lot of pressure to win, as it gave him the most in school history for a career. I believe this history making 'W' (at least for his university) put extra pressure on him to close it out (he had gone since the fall of his Junior year without winning a college event).

Here are his stats for each round for the year (8 tournaments--all but 1, he was in the hunt to win):

R1 70.3

R2 69.5

R3 72.9 (includes a 67)

To answer your question and buttress my point, that the junior needs to be comfortable playing at his or her current level to shoot in the 60's. It's the same formula whether they are attempting to shoot in the 60's. 70's, 80's, 90's or even win a tournament. It doesn't matter. As a parent, I would suggest to develop a strategy to expedite the learning curve.

I accomplished this by exposing my son to the next level of golf at an early age. In other words, I entered him into tournaments he was likely not to win. For example, when he was very young, he would play in the city amateur, When in High School, I looked for tournament's where some better college players were entered. Currently, I have been entering him into professional events (even the Q-School pre-qualifier) where he is starting to feel more comfortable. However, this level of comfort does not address winning, only shooting your average score at the various levels. After they have finally arrived, they will be light years ahead of everyone else.

Nothing like giving parental advice on social media when it wasn't asked for.... smh

Sorry. I couldn't determine that the poster wasn't asking for parental advice seeing that he's parent asking about advice for the betterment of his child.

2w63sj.jpg

Sorry. I couldn't determine that the poster wasn't asking for parental advice seeing that he's parent asking about advice for the betterment of his child.

2w63sj.jpg

He was asking about golf. A far cry from parental advice. Thanks for playing.