No Catchy Nickname's bag of new and old

[i sorta like the 24 hybrid myself. I had been playing an old TM early Rescue but found an Adams last week that I hit good on the range. We will see how that goes but I always have my V-Steel 7&9 woods just in case

I am also coming around to the hybrid. Just easier to hit more consistently that a 4i, and the higher ball flight should help the ball stop on the greens. The hybrid would certainly be easier to hit in the colder months when the grass is dormant and straw-like here.

But I also need to get the V-steel 9w out on the course and see how that goes. From what I've seen on the range, it's easy enough to hit, but does it ever fly high!

Nice bags Catchy, especially the classic bag of wood and steel. I've come to enjoy reading your exploits with golf implements.

I've been contemplating assembling a classic bag of MacGregors. To stand alongside the Hogans. Have grown rather infatuated with Muirfields. If memory serves, you have both Muirfields and Muirfield 20th's? If you had to pick one, and only one, which would you choose? Or are they similar enough that it doesn't make much difference. A decision made based on condition and price between the two. Depending on what I find, would probably perform a reshaft to my preferred weight and length.

Have a M/T M43 2 wood and M/T T.A. 693 5 wood blocks to cover that end of the bag. Thinking 5 - PW of whatever Muirfields. Plethora of wedges to pick from. And the Muirfield putter to place into service. Just a fun bag of MacGregors to play on occasion. You know, something different. TIA.

You now what I think of the V-Steels. Big fan. They've kicked to the curb all other fairway metals and hybrids in the modern bag. The 9 is very easy to hit, versatile, and fills the distance requirement that I'm after perfectly. But that's just me, with my less than perfect "old guy" swing.

Edit add: Now I read that you've come into a set of TM-92's. You've got a problem there mate. Ha!! Look forward to the pics.

Thank you, and thank you! I am really looking forward to playing more persimmon golf next year, and I can't wait to get out to a course and hit the 2w. It's just so much more satisfying to hit a good shot with the old persimmons than modern metals.

As for the Muirfields versus Muirfield 20ths, I would choose the 20ths. In fact, I had one of my best iron-striking rounds in a long time with them in the bag this year, so I feel confident with them. I think they also feel better than the Muirfields. I know they were made differently, with the Muirfield muscle being milled out of a flat back blade, and the 20ths forged with the muscle in it already. I wonder if that explains their superior feel.

Anyway, with their compact head and beautiful feel, I call the 20ths my cheap Baby Blades (don't have the BB, and doubt I ever will). The TM-92s are similarly compact, so with their arrival I would say a contender for the Baby Blade title!

And you're right, I do have a problem: I've run out of storage space :busted_cop:

A couple of friends are based in Singapore and Hong Kong, and they lament the fact it's not easy to just pick up the bag and go and play a few holes. Although when they catch a ferry out to the islands and play on nice courses with attractive "caddies" and a lot of cold beer, it does sound very appealing!

Yep, the idea of just popping to the course for a quick 9 does not seem to exist here.

Also, when I played in Britain, golf was free if you were a member of that course/club. Here, you become a member and you still have to pay a green fee, it's just less than the guests. I don't know if there are any exceptions to that in Japan.

I imagine from Singapore, Malaysia is relatively easy to get to golf. Though I'm not sure they would have the--ahem--attractive "caddies."

It is mostly the same way here with memberships you pay greens fees. I have done something different for the coming year. I had won a free membership to a group of courses so I activated that and we still pay greens fees but at a reduced rate. Down here you hardly see set greens fees posted because a lot depends on what package plan folks visited and booked on.

Really? That surprised me, as I always thought the US would have a similar system to the UK. I suspect, then, that Japan's membership/green-fee system is somewhat influenced by the US.

I think the UK is changing a bit, as a club my dad joined as a social member was offering several different types of membership. When I was a junior, there were only two types of membership for adult males: Full and Five-day (reduced green-fee on weekends). Full meant full playing privileges. Ladies had a reduced membership, and had priority on Tuesdays (they hated us juniors playing on Tuesdays in the holidays!). The course my Dad joined did away with a special Ladies's fee, and seemed to basically offer three or four different types of adult membership according to when members wanted to play. Not a bad system, especially as with more women working, having Tuesday as Ladies' Day is a bit anachronistic. Thinking about it, it was already anachronistic even in the Eighties.

I may not have really stated complete. I live in a golf tourism area where everything revolves around tourism. The only reason they do memberships is because the locals keep the ball rolling so to speak during the off peak months. The bad part of all of this is when they hit peak seasons screw the local steady customers.

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

[i sorta like the 24 hybrid myself. I had been playing an old TM early Rescue but found an Adams last week that I hit good on the range. We will see how that goes but I always have my V-Steel 7&9 woods just in case

I am also coming around to the hybrid. Just easier to hit more consistently that a 4i, and the higher ball flight should help the ball stop on the greens. The hybrid would certainly be easier to hit in the colder months when the grass is dormant and straw-like here.

But I also need to get the V-steel 9w out on the course and see how that goes. From what I've seen on the range, it's easy enough to hit, but does it ever fly high!

You can tone it down some by putting a stiffer tipped shaft in it. Remember those clubs were basically designed for older slower swing speeds and have a lot of weight in the bottom.

I may not have really stated complete. I live in a golf tourism area where everything revolves around tourism. The only reason they do memberships is because the locals keep the ball rolling so to speak during the off peak months. The bad part of all of this is when they hit peak seasons screw the local steady customers.

Ah, got it. I've seen a couple of posters (in Arizona and Florida, I think) mention something similar with their courses.

You can tone it down some by putting a stiffer tipped shaft in it. Remember those clubs were basically designed for older slower swing speeds and have a lot of weight in the bottom.

Good point, that. I may even try a steel shaft in it, as I'm not pursuing distance.

• 5 months later...

I haven't updated this is a while, mainly because there have been no new major club purchases, but I thought I would post what I am going to play into August. I've got a few old iron sets, so I decided to commit to one for a few months. I chose the Mac Muirfield 20ths because they are just a great set of irons. I will probably swap out the 3i for the Honma TW Forged #3, and the VIP wedge may rotate with my old faithful MD2 54*. The VIP Tour 2i seen in one picture is for practice, and I doubt it will see time on the course.

the 4 wood looks like the R9 and not V steel

The newer photos are posted today. They have the V-steel 4w. I still have the R9, and actually switch between the two of them regularly. I prefer the V-steel off the tee, but the R-9 is easier off the deck. I think it's a higher launching shaft. Both are good clubs.

• 8 months later...

I haven't posted anything new in a while. I've got some WITB to put up in the next day or two, but I have just finished arranging my WNITBRN* clubs, so I thought I'd share.

The G400 in my current bag is broken (adapter) and I have to send it off to Ping to see what they can do with it. I may buy a cheap replacement to play around with in the meantime.

*What's Not In The Bag Right Now

Great collection! I love v steels as well ??

[color=#ff0000]Teaching out of Crystal Springs Golf Course[/color]<br /><br />Golf Digest Best Teachers In California 2005-2018<br /><br />Golf Digest Best Young Teachers In America 2007-2012<br /><br />[color=#0000ff]Head Men's Golf Coach Notre Dame de Namur [/color][color=#0000FF]University [/color]<br /><br />[color=#DAA520]My WITB[/color]<br /><br /><br /><br />[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/430688-zach-heussers-golf-clubs-putter-collection-and-man-cave-pics/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...-man-cave-pics/[/url]<br />@Zheusser on twitter

Here's the current "modern" set up. My G400 has to be sent away for repairs, so until it's back, I will be using my V-steel Tour Spoon in its place (Speeder 661 X-flex).

I'm giving the MP-18s a break and trying out some Tourstage CBs. They're actually from 2005, so I'm not sure I could really call this a "modern" bag at all. I think the newest clubs in it would be the two Callaway MD2 T-grind wedges (52* and 58*). The putter is a TaylorMade TPA XVIII.

Now the persimmon bag. The big change here is the Honma 4w hiding away. I got it a couple of weeks ago and it hits beautifully. I'm also giving Hogan my first real proper go. These are 1972 Apexes with Apex 4 shafts. For wedges I've got a Mac VIP of indeterminate date and a Ping BeCu L-wedge, but I might just take them both out and put in a RAM SW that I like. Anyway, as soon as it starts to warm up, I'm taking the persimmons out to the course.

• 1 month later...

Played a modern bag today. The G400 needs to be sent off to Ping for repairs (screw in the adapter is loose), so I borrowed a friend's VR Pro driver. I didn't feel I lost that much by using it, though the G400 feels better and gives me a little more confidence.

The R-9 is just such a great club it's hard to kick out of the bag, but this year I have made up my mind to look at some newer options.

Irons were Mizuno MP-4s with Modus 125X. Love these irons, probably more than my MP18s. I took out the 4i for a 9w today as the ground was soaking wet after a heavy day of rain before (casual water everywhere), but I also want to look at a hybrid for this spot.

Great WITB - those original Nike blades are so pure.

Indeed. One of my favourite sets in the collection. Top five easily, and possibly top three. I think my favourites are the MP-4s, followed in no particular order by Mac Muirfield 20ths, Nike OG blades, and Mac R58s (JDM). But the Baldos might be a contender once I get around to hitting them, and I just got some Wilson FG62s in today which so far are VERY promising:

Are those 'Yoro' MP-4s? They look awesome with that stamping.

The fresh Mac Muirfields look incredible as well, haven't seen any in that good condition, the muscle on those looks so solid.

It seems like we have very similar taste.....I've got Nike OG Blades, Mac R58s and some Mac Pro-82s (very similar to Mac 20th which I previously owned...) in my collection at the moment. Had been looking at some MP-5s recently to upgrade from my MP14/29 TP11/19 sets, but those MP-4s have peaked my interest now.

I've also got a V-Steel 7 wood that I'm a fan of, though at 21 degrees I think of it as a 5 wood in my old-school head! Mine's got a TM/Mitsubishi Rayon 'Tour Shaqx' shaft in it which was quite the find.

Are those 'Yoro' MP-4s? They look awesome with that stamping.

The fresh Mac Muirfields look incredible as well, haven't seen any in that good condition, the muscle on those looks so solid.

It seems like we have very similar taste.....I've got Nike OG Blades, Mac R58s and some Mac Pro-82s (very similar to Mac 20th which I previously owned...) in my collection at the moment. Had been looking at some MP-5s recently to upgrade from my MP14/29 TP11/19 sets, but those MP-4s have peaked my interest now.

I've also got a V-Steel 7 wood that I'm a fan of, though at 21 degrees I think of it as a 5 wood in my old-school head! Mine's got a TM/Mitsubishi Rayon 'Tour Shaqx' shaft in it which was quite the find.

Nice collection! I prefer the look of the MP4s over the 5s, though I've never played the 5s. Lots of people rate them, so I guess it's a bit of a question of what fits your eye.

My MP4s are indeed Yoro, though I bought them secondhand. I always wanted to splash out on a Yoro set of MP4s, but when I finally saved up enough to do it, they were no longer available. Then I saw these with the exact stamping I was after, and the finish was alright as well (I would have chosen raw). So I snapped them up, and never looked back. I'm even considering selling my MP18s, because I prefer the 4s for my main modern "gamer" set.

The V-steels are great. I have the T/S, 4w, 7w, and 9w, but the 7w and 9w are my favourites. As you say, they are like an old 5w really.

Great WITB - those original Nike blades are so pure.

Indeed. One of my favourite sets in the collection. Top five easily, and possibly top three. I think my favourites are the MP-4s, followed in no particular order by Mac Muirfield 20ths, Nike OG blades, and Mac R58s (JDM). But the Baldos might be a contender once I get around to hitting them, and I just got some Wilson FG62s in today which so far are VERY promising:

62s are sweeet!!

Played a modern bag today. The G400 needs to be sent off to Ping for repairs (screw in the adapter is loose), so I borrowed a friend's VR Pro driver. I didn't feel I lost that much by using it, though the G400 feels better and gives me a little more confidence.

The R-9 is just such a great club it's hard to kick out of the bag, but this year I have made up my mind to look at some newer options.

Irons were Mizuno MP-4s with Modus 125X. Love these irons, probably more than my MP18s. I took out the 4i for a 9w today as the ground was soaking wet after a heavy day of rain before (casual water everywhere), but I also want to look at a hybrid for this spot.

That Vr Pro is a sleeper--- I found one on the scrap pie a couple of weeks ago with cover and all--- I hit it good. I just have not played it yet because I am so much in love with the Homna---- I have not missed but one fairway in the last 3 weeks with the Homna---- Never have been a big fan of Nike stuff nothing at all against them just ain't a fan but I do like that driver. The Mac wedge you posted to my trained Mac eye looks like a 80s remake which is a quality club. Most of the 80s remake VIP wedges had a little too much offset to my eye but that is just me

That Vr Pro is a sleeper--- I found one on the scrap pie a couple of weeks ago with cover and all--- I hit it good. I just have not played it yet because I am so much in love with the Homna---- I have not missed but one fairway in the last 3 weeks with the Homna---- Never have been a big fan of Nike stuff nothing at all against them just ain't a fan but I do like that driver. The Mac wedge you posted to my trained Mac eye looks like a 80s remake which is a quality club. Most of the 80s remake VIP wedges had a little too much offset to my eye but that is just me

I was thinking the Mac VIP wegde was a 90s model. It certainly not a VIP original. That said, it's got less offset than my 1980s VIP iron set that I think I've mentioned before on here. The long and mid-irons are fine, but the 9i is about the limit for me. The PW and Sw have so much offset I can't play them.

As for the Nike driver, it's a fine club. The Nike OG blades and the VR Pro blades can compete with any blade offering from the big OEMs in the last 15 years or so, IMHO. It just gets down to personal preference.

I haven't posted anything new in a while. I've got some WITB to put up in the next day or two, but I have just finished arranging my WNITBRN* clubs, so I thought I'd share.

The G400 in my current bag is broken (adapter) and I have to send it off to Ping to see what they can do with it. I may buy a cheap replacement to play around with in the meantime.

If you ever ditch the Baldo blades hit me up!

Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
Fairway: Titleist 917F2
Hybrid: A-Grind
2 iron: Ping Rapture
Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
Putter: Evnroll 9.1
Balls: ProV1

Nice find with the FG62 irons. I bought a set, 3-pw w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff shafts, and they have been nothing short of astonishing in terms of aesthetics, feel, and performance.

I love golf

Driver:  2018 Cally Rogue 10.5* (Set to 12.5*)

Fairway Metals:  Ping G30 14.5* and 18*

Irons:   PXG Gen3 0311P (4-G) MMT80 Stiff

Wedges:  PXG 0311 Forged 54*/58* MMT80 Stiff

Putter:  Odyssey Stroke Lab “Double Wide” 34”

Bag:  G-Fore Daytona Plus (AKA: Vessel Lite)

If you ever ditch the Baldo blades hit me up!

I actually bought them to flip, but their looks are growing on me more and more.

Nice find with the FG62 irons. I bought a set, 3-pw w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff shafts, and they have been nothing short of astonishing in terms of aesthetics, feel, and performance.

I haven't taken them to the course yet, but after a decent range session, I like them a lot so far.

Well, I hope my search for a hybrid is over. I liked the look of this old (released in 2012) RomaRo. Small head so it looks a bit more iron-like, but hits like a hybrid with lots of forgiveness. 23* of loft, so it's longer than a 4i, but much easier to take a little bit off. Hit at the range and like it so far. So easy to hit. Shaft is an Attas EZ 85S. Seems to be a decent fit.

0zt7vkojajyq.jpg

7fhll6m84jr7.jpg

m3ldtiuwvp8v.jpg

Played a 9-hole persimmon and blades round yesterday. Tried out a "new" driver, a Honma LB300. Can't say I hit it very well, but a couple did all right. The 4w is great, and the irons are terrific. They're Wilson FG-J8, which I think were just FG-17s renamed for the Japanese market as they're identical.

f9rw974yvugh.jpg

tl9eolyp1tso.jpg

r843957gx2iq.jpg

tl3cdt74927f.jpg

whjikx7vg5l3.jpg

Catchy you know I had to check in to see what you had done this time

• 1 month later...

A couple of changes to the modern bag, so an update.

I've been looking for a replacement for my trusty R9 4w (even started a thread about it), and I recently stumbled across this G25 4w. Bought it 4 days ago, bagged it yesterday for the first time. Looks like I might have a winner here. Good off the tee, good off the deck. I like the shaft (Attas 6 7X), though I don't know much about it.

I am also trying a easier 4i, a Bridgestone TourB X-CBP. I may drop it sometimes to pay extra wedges (PW-52-56-60), or bag it and play PW-52-58.

My setup for my last round was:

Driver: Ping G400 10.5* (stock Tour shaft, 65S

4w: Ping G25 with Attas 6 7X

7w: V-steel with Quadra Fire RS 65SX

Hybrid: 23* RomaRo iBrid (2013 model?) with Attas EZ 350 85S

4i: Bridgestone TourB X-CBP with Modus 105S

5i-PW: Wilson FG62 with DGS300

Wedges: 52* and 58* Callaway MD2 T-Grind (DGS200)

Putter: Odyssey #8 White Hot

gbbceabh8wak.jpg

9vykwkp9z4x2.jpg

t8nu8b86jcvn.jpg

7oe6kcn21ww7.jpg

3kfq3cz3103z.jpg

4zd1h7zta3eq.jpg

vlxlqybgakpm.jpg

u6f0unbis8qw.jpg

• Like 2