Southern Kentucky courses

whatever

I’ve got a work trip next week that will put me in Nashville. I’ve got a goal to play in all 50 states and I can make time for an afternoon jaunt up to KY.

What are the best courses open to the public in southern KY that I can get to within 2 hours of Nashville? I saw the club at olde stone, but that looks private from what I can tell. Any help would be appreciated!

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kenny Perry's Country Creek course is just across the state line off I-65 a little less than an hour from Nashville.

Crosswinds in Bowling Green is a half hour further north.

The Links at Novadell in Hopkinsville is about an hour and a half from Nashville.

All three are good courses. If you're just wanting to get KY crossed off your list then Country Crrek is the easiest option.

Callaway 2015 Great Big Bertha 10.5
Callaway Great Big Bertha ll 3W & 5W
Callaway Steelhead lll 9 wood 
Ben Hogan Apex Edge 4/E
Cleveland 588 TA 51* & 56* 
Ray Cook Blue Goose 

I'm right on the state line off of I65.

As recommended:

Kenny Perry's Country Creek, Franklin, KY - About five minutes off the interstate, I65, exit 2, greens are experiencing a little stress, they are bent and it has been hot but dry. They keep them long this time of year so they are slow.

Crosswinds, Bowling Green, KY - Municipal course but usually in pretty nice shape compared to other options. Flat course in a housing development and along an airport. The front and back almost seem like copies of each other when you are playing. A par five split by a pond on the front, one on the back. Hard dogleg left on the front, one on the back.

I had heard Novadel was closed. It was on my list to play but had marked it off after reading it closed some time back. If it is open I am intrigued to try it.

Just heard that Rolling Hills in Russellville was closed due to some kind of fungus on the greens. Might be true might not be. I searched the facebook page last night but didn't find any info. That has been my go-to here lately.

Another I would recommend is Franklin Country Club. Great shape, not far off your path in Franklin, KY. Is private but with a phone call to the pro shop I bet you could get out as an unaccompanied guest especially if you told them your situation. PM on this if you like, I'm not a member there but might can help you get in touch with the right folks.

If 18 holes is not an absolute requisite Paul Walker in Bowling Green is a neat old school course with a cool vibe in an old neighborhood in BG. I would walk it as opposed to ride a cart on it. Fair but playable conditions typically. I cannot speak for current conditions however.

Farther off your way but more entertaining is Dale Hollow Lake State Park. Art Hills design. Architecturally probably the most entertaining public in Southern Ky. Not a real direct way to get to it though.

Mineral Mounds is farther away in Kuttawa (up I24) and sort of interesting to play. I have found the green conditions to not be great at times.

Same direction but not as far is Arrowhead in Cadiz. Never played it but oyu can see it from 68-80. What I saw of it this past weekend looked more than adequate for golf.

Barkley State Park (Cadiz? Canton?) has a course. Played it once after a thunderstorm and it was waterlogged. Couldn't remember much else. You pass Arrowhead to get to the State Park on 68-80.

Barren River Lake State Resort Park course is 18 in Lucas, Ky ( south of Glasgow, KY off of HWY 31E). Good shape most of the time. Roller coaster hills through the woods. My least favorite hole in the world lives here.

Good luck, let us know what you chose. If I can help let me know.

Might call Indian Hills CC in Bowling Green and see if they will let you play. Play Olde Stone if you can swing the coin and it is available though.

• 4 weeks later...

@whatever

I've got a work trip next week that will put me in Nashville. I've got a goal to play in all 50 states and I can make time for an afternoon jaunt up to KY.

What are the best courses open to the public in southern KY that I can get to within 2 hours of Nashville? I saw the club at olde stone, but that looks private from what I can tell. Any help would be appreciated!

Did you play and where?

• 3 weeks later...

@smashdn

Not to totally hijack this thread but I have been intrigued to see if any one else ever played a course that is now closed in Benton called Kerry Landing/Birmingham Pointe. Back in 2007 I quit my job packed my bassboat, and threw my clubs in my truck and went on a two week sabbatical to fish and play golf near KY lake. I stayed at a resort right down the road and fished and played this place about 6 or 7 times in two weeks. It was semi private but I walked in and paid a incredibly cheap greens fee ( I am almost certain the guy pocketed it). It was a MONSTER of a course and it certainly did not seem to fit the demo for the area because I swear I only saw maybe 1 or 2 other groups a round. I loved the course and really sad to see it did not make it as I would love to play it again. I was not married did not have a care in the world and could have been the best two week vacation ever, fish in the morning, play 27 in the afternoon, and fish again at night.

Never heard of it. The courses I know over that way (I live about 2 hours east of the lakes) are the Boots Randolph Course at Lake Barkley State Park (Cadiz), Mineral Mound at Mineral Mound State Park (Eddyville) and Arrowhead (Cadiz).

There is a course at Ky Dam Village but I have never played it.

I looked up your course and the playing corridors are still there according to the latest google earth. I would ask over on GolfKentuckyLinks forums but that forum died. That area over there is very tourist driven. I am surprised there were two courses that close (Ky Dam Village and BP you mention) there. I rarely make it to the far side of KY lake, lbl is about the extent of my travels but I did go that way through Aurora last winter and most stuff was closed up. Everything was very seasonal with the lake. TVA starts to draw it down starting in mid July and by Labor Day I'd bet 1/2 the people over there are bugged out.

I have always just been intrigued by the place because it was so out of place for the area. It was the hardest course I have ever played, 6,900 yards and had a slope of 147 and it Kicked my a**. Huge elevation changes with tight fairways and lighting fast greens. I just kept thinking why and who built this in the middle of rural Kentucky.

As I was digging around trying to find it I found out the The Tennessean down in Paris is also closed. It is a Keith Foster design. Not sure how much people follow architecture but he is a decently well known designer.

Best I can tell both course were a result of the 1990's golf boom. Like you pointed out Kerry Landing may have just been too hard for people to want to play it regularly. Plus you have the other courses that are somewhat subsidized being state park courses around it (Barkley, KDV and Mineral Mound). They don't have turn a dollar every year and can be operated at a loss if they draw people to the area they serve their purpose.

I am planning a trip down to Sweetens Cove next spring/early summer and I'm looking for a course to play on the way there. I'll be heading down 57 in Illinois and then hitting 24 to Kentucky Lake. I usually go to Kentucky Lake a few times a summer but I have only played Kentucky Dam Village and was looking at Mineral Mounds. Looks like it a Hurzdan and Fry design who did Erin Hills and has a couple lake views. Unfortunately based on some reviews from late this summer it sounds like the conditions were terrible and that they lost the greens. I wonder if this was a one-off based on summer conditions or if it is always not well maintained. We wouldn't need pristine conditions, but just average muni conditions. But if it is in terrible shape then it would be a no go.

How does Boots Randolph or Arrowhead compare to Mineral Mounds? I'd like to try and keep it as a course by the lake because I think we should be able to stay for free at a relatives place, as opposed to staying at a hotel. But if there really isn't a great Lake option I guess we could try Clarksville or some other course along the way.

I am planning a trip down to Sweetens Cove next spring/early summer and I'm looking for a course to play on the way there. I'll be heading down 57 in Illinois and then hitting 24 to Kentucky Lake. I usually go to Kentucky Lake a few times a summer but I have only played Kentucky Dam Village and was looking at Mineral Mounds. Looks like it a Hurzdan and Fry design who did Erin Hills and has a couple lake views. Unfortunately based on some reviews from late this summer it sounds like the conditions were terrible and that they lost the greens. I wonder if this was a one-off based on summer conditions or if it is always not well maintained. We wouldn't need pristine conditions, but just average muni conditions. But if it is in terrible shape then it would be a no go.

How does Boots Randolph or Arrowhead compare to Mineral Mounds? I'd like to try and keep it as a course by the lake because I think we should be able to stay for free at a relatives place, as opposed to staying at a hotel. But if there really isn't a great Lake option I guess we could try Clarksville or some other course along the way.

You're probably looking for places closer to your halfway point, but I'll throw out a couple of ideas nearer to Sweeten's Cove that might make your trip more enjoyable.

The University of the South at Sewanee is on top of Monteagle Mountain, about 25 minutes up I-24 from Sweeten's. The campus features thousands of acres of property, beautiful Gothic architecture, and remarkable views to the valley below.

The Sewanee Inn was recently renovated and would be a great base of operations for your trip (all you'll find around Sweeten's are bad budget motels). The Inn overlooks a nice nine-hole course that offers playability and eye candy similar to Sweeten's Cove. It was also recently renovated by the same architect that built the Olympic course in South America. Playing Sewanee and Sweeten's on the same day would be a treat.

If you drop down the back side of Monteagle to Winchester, TN there is an 18-hole Bear Trace course at Tim's Ford that I recommend as well. It's in a state park so there's nothing around but the course, the woods and the wildlife. It's probably a thirty minute drive from Sewanee, and a scenic one at that.

If you decide to stay in Chattanooga instead, look at the hotels on the Lookout Valley exit, and you'll be very close to Black Creek Club which is another great place to play. It is private, but accessible (a friendly phone call is enough, especially if you have your pro make the call). They're also part of one of those national golf course networks, so they're used to having people come in and play who don't know a member. It's one of my favorite places to play near here.

There are also two courses in North Alabama worth playing, and within 30 minutes of Sweeten's. Dogwood Hills and Trenton Country Club. Neither are world class by any means but the golf is pretty good. Goose Pond Colony outside Ft. Payne AL is another place to consider.

Finally, by the time you come, McLemore will be open again after a major redesign.

Wow...sorry for all that threadjacking.

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

I'll say this about Mineral Mounds, and this is based upon playing it once a summer for two years not counting this past summer, it is an interesting design but conditions are an issue. The course is cut out of pretty rough terrain and there are lots of trees. Being a hilly, treed course the grass struggles if growing conditions are not perfect. The fairways can get a bit thin and the greens can struggle in the heat of the summer. Apparently they did lose the greens this year. There was another course more local to me that also lost their greens this summer.

Bad thing about golf in the transition zone on a course with cool season greens (bent) and warm season fairways (zoysia or bemuda) when one grass is really hitting its stride and in perfect growing conditions the other is not. Bent hates our heat but the bermuda and zoysia thrive in it and the opposite is true as well.

Between Boots Randolph and Mineral Mound based upon the course alone I choose Mineral Mound, way more interesting golf course. The times I have played Boots Randolph it has been very wet, over-watered, and not overly memorable golf course. I have only seen Arrowhead from 68-80 on my way to the lake past Cadiz. It is a public course but not a state park or municipal as best I can tell.

Another option for you is to catch Hwy 48 south out of Clarksville, TN and head to Dickson to play Greystone if you have not played it. You can then pick back up on I-840 and swing east back around to 24 and go around Nashville. If you plan to do something in Nashville on your way through it will be out of your way though.

http://www.greystonegc.com/

Make sure you play Sewanee while you are down around Sweetens.

You're probably looking for places closer to your halfway point, but I'll throw out a couple of ideas nearer to Sweeten's Cove that might make your trip more enjoyable.

The University of the South at Sewanee is on top of Monteagle Mountain, about 25 minutes up I-24 from Sweeten's. The campus features thousands of acres of property, beautiful Gothic architecture, and remarkable views to the valley below.

The Sewanee Inn was recently renovated and would be a great base of operations for your trip (all you'll find around Sweeten's are bad budget motels). The Inn overlooks a nice nine-hole course that offers playability and eye candy similar to Sweeten's Cove. It was also recently renovated by the same architect that built the Olympic course in South America. Playing Sewanee and Sweeten's on the same day would be a treat.

If you drop down the back side of Monteagle to Winchester, TN there is an 18-hole Bear Trace course at Tim's Ford that I recommend as well. It's in a state park so there's nothing around but the course, the woods and the wildlife. It's probably a thirty minute drive from Sewanee, and a scenic one at that.

If you decide to stay in Chattanooga instead, look at the hotels on the Lookout Valley exit, and you'll be very close to Black Creek Club which is another great place to play. It is private, but accessible (a friendly phone call is enough, especially if you have your pro make the call). They're also part of one of those national golf course networks, so they're used to having people come in and play who don't know a member. It's one of my favorite places to play near here.

There are also two courses in North Alabama worth playing, and within 30 minutes of Sweeten's. Dogwood Hills and Trenton Country Club. Neither are world class by any means but the golf is pretty good. Goose Pond Colony outside Ft. Payne AL is another place to consider.

Finally, by the time you come, McLemore will be open again after a major redesign.

Wow...sorry for all that threadjacking.

I had definitely already scoped out The Course at Sewanee as a must play. I had seen it mentioned a couple times on here to check out when going to play Sweetens so it will be included for sure. I looked up the Inn at Sewanee and it looked like they wanted like $300 a night that just probably wouldn't be worth it for our group. It looks pretty sweet though.

The preliminary plan would be for the trip to be sometime in May. We would be coming from St. Louis and since I have a place to stay for free at the lake I was thinking it made since to take advantage of that. So we would leave mid-day on a Friday and drive to the lake and play a twilight round there. Wake up pretty early Saturday and drive to Sweetens and play all day and stay somewhere around there. Sunday play The Course at Sewanee and then head home.

So you're right that ideally we would be looking for a course around the half way point (which happens to be right around Kentucky Lake) or somewhere between STL and the Lake (Southern Illinois along 57, Paducah or somewhere along 24).

If for some reason staying at my relatives at the lake falls through then that would open up the possibility of playing somewhere in southern Kentucky or Clarkville/Nashville area.

Appreciate the tips!

I'll say this about Mineral Mounds, and this is based upon playing it once a summer for two years not counting this past summer, it is an interesting design but conditions are an issue. The course is cut out of pretty rough terrain and there are lots of trees. Being a hilly, treed course the grass struggles if growing conditions are not perfect. The fairways can get a bit thin and the greens can struggle in the heat of the summer. Apparently they did lose the greens this year. There was another course more local to me that also lost their greens this summer.

Bad thing about golf in the transition zone on a course with cool season greens (bent) and warm season fairways (zoysia or bemuda) when one grass is really hitting its stride and in perfect growing conditions the other is not. Bent hates our heat but the bermuda and zoysia thrive in it and the opposite is true as well.

Between Boots Randolph and Mineral Mound based upon the course alone I choose Mineral Mound, way more interesting golf course. The times I have played Boots Randolph it has been very wet, over-watered, and not overly memorable golf course. I have only seen Arrowhead from 68-80 on my way to the lake past Cadiz. It is a public course but not a state park or municipal as best I can tell.

Another option for you is to catch Hwy 48 south out of Clarksville, TN and head to Dickson to play Greystone if you have not played it. You can then pick back up on I-840 and swing east back around to 24 and go around Nashville. If you plan to do something in Nashville on your way through it will be out of your way though.

Appreciate the info. I think at this point Mineral Mounds is going to be the best. Hopefully when we catch it in May conditions will be pretty good since the summer heat won't have hit yet. I'll probably just check on here or on golf advisor/golfnow closer to then to make sure conditions aren't terrible. We're totally fine with just average conditions but if the greens are gone or the tees and fairways are dirt then we would probably look elsewhere.

It's actually looking to be a really budget friendly trip and will play two of the best 9 holers in the Midwest. Probably $35ish for Ky Lake course at twilight on Friday, $100 all you can play (at least that's what my buddy said it costs) at Sweetens on Saturday and then $50 for Sewanee. Then just gas and probably one night at a hotel. Will most likely be less than $250 for golf and lodging and then whatever for food. I'm looking forward to it.

Appreciate the info. I think at this point Mineral Mounds is going to be the best. Hopefully when we catch it in May conditions will be pretty good since the summer heat won't have hit yet. I'll probably just check on here or on golf advisor/golfnow closer to then to make sure conditions aren't terrible. We're totally fine with just average conditions but if the greens are gone or the tees and fairways are dirt then we would probably look elsewhere.

It's actually looking to be a really budget friendly trip and will play two of the best 9 holers in the Midwest. Probably $35ish for Ky Lake course at twilight on Friday, $100 all you can play (at least that's what my buddy said it costs) at Sweetens on Saturday and then $50 for Sewanee. Then just gas and probably one night at a hotel. Will most likely be less than $250 for golf and lodging and then whatever for food. I'm looking forward to it.

I'd consider driving to Paducah, going to Golf Mart (if you've not been there it's like no golf shop you've ever seen), heading a mile down the road to Starnes Barbeque for the best bbq sandwich anywhere, and then getting in 18 holes at Paxton Park in Paducah (the course that Russ Cochran and Kenny Perry grew up on), and then you're only 20 miles from the lake. Paxton Park has always been one of my favorite courses.

Callaway 2015 Great Big Bertha 10.5
Callaway Great Big Bertha ll 3W & 5W
Callaway Steelhead lll 9 wood 
Ben Hogan Apex Edge 4/E
Cleveland 588 TA 51* & 56* 
Ray Cook Blue Goose 

I'd consider driving to Paducah, going to Golf Mart (if you've not been there it's like no golf shop you've ever seen), heading a mile down the road to Starnes Barbeque for the best bbq sandwich anywhere, and then getting in 18 holes at Paxton Park in Paducah (the course that Russ Cochran and Kenny Perry grew up on), and then you're only 20 miles from the lake. Paxton Park has always been one of my favorite courses.

Will have to check it out. I figured Paducah had to have a solid course or two.

• 4 months later...

I'm right on the state line off of I65.

As recommended:

Kenny Perry's Country Creek, Franklin, KY - About five minutes off the interstate, I65, exit 2, greens are experiencing a little stress, they are bent and it has been hot but dry. They keep them long this time of year so they are slow.

Crosswinds, Bowling Green, KY - Municipal course but usually in pretty nice shape compared to other options. Flat course in a housing development and along an airport. The front and back almost seem like copies of each other when you are playing. A par five split by a pond on the front, one on the back. Hard dogleg left on the front, one on the back.

I had heard Novadel was closed. It was on my list to play but had marked it off after reading it closed some time back. If it is open I am intrigued to try it.

Just heard that Rolling Hills in Russellville was closed due to some kind of fungus on the greens. Might be true might not be. I searched the facebook page last night but didn't find any info. That has been my go-to here lately.

Another I would recommend is Franklin Country Club. Great shape, not far off your path in Franklin, KY. Is private but with a phone call to the pro shop I bet you could get out as an unaccompanied guest especially if you told them your situation. PM on this if you like, I'm not a member there but might can help you get in touch with the right folks.

If 18 holes is not an absolute requisite Paul Walker in Bowling Green is a neat old school course with a cool vibe in an old neighborhood in BG. I would walk it as opposed to ride a cart on it. Fair but playable conditions typically. I cannot speak for current conditions however.

Farther off your way but more entertaining is Dale Hollow Lake State Park. Art Hills design. Architecturally probably the most entertaining public in Southern Ky. Not a real direct way to get to it though.

Mineral Mounds is farther away in Kuttawa (up I24) and sort of interesting to play. I have found the green conditions to not be great at times.

Same direction but not as far is Arrowhead in Cadiz. Never played it but oyu can see it from 68-80. What I saw of it this past weekend looked more than adequate for golf.

Barkley State Park (Cadiz? Canton?) has a course. Played it once after a thunderstorm and it was waterlogged. Couldn't remember much else. You pass Arrowhead to get to the State Park on 68-80.

Barren River Lake State Resort Park course is 18 in Lucas, Ky ( south of Glasgow, KY off of HWY 31E). Good shape most of the time. Roller coaster hills through the woods. My least favorite hole in the world lives here.

Good luck, let us know what you chose. If I can help let me know.

Might call Indian Hills CC in Bowling Green and see if they will let you play. Play Olde Stone if you can swing the coin and it is available though.

Cool to see rolling hills mentioned on here. I don't live there anymore but I'm from logan county. Some of my family runs this course.

Last summer before they had the issue with the greens it was in as good of condition as I have seen it. I did hear some rumblings out of RVK that they were wanting to create a park on the course/near the course/out of the course. IMO that would be a shame as if the course closed you'd have no golf in RVK. Rolling Hills was sending out texts when they were having deals. It worked to get me over there.

I'm in Franklin.