Jason Day. Out not with a bang but with a whimper.

Force_Majeur

Ouch people pretty harsh on Day. He is a former world number one with a bad back. Only thing that might make him better is back surgery, but you don't really want to go there unless you have to. So he's stuck in this limbo phase. For the guys saying tough it out, it's not like he just has to tough it out for a tournament or two! He has to tough it out for the rest of his career! And these guys golf more than any of us (apart from the lucky few).

Callaway Paradym TD 10* Ventus Red TR 5S

Titleist TSR3 13.5* 3 Wood Tour AD-IZ 6S

Titleist TSR3 19* hybrid Modus GOST S

Titleist TSR2 24* hybrid Modus GOST S

Callaway Paradym Hybrid 27* Ventus non Velocore S

Titleist T100 2023 6-PW KBS Tour V S

Titleist SM8 50, 56, 60

Scotty Cameron X7.5 CS

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like Day but always felt he was one of those guys that used health / injury as an excuse for playing bad golf. I've see him stripe a 350 yard drive down the middle of the fairway without a wince then put one into the woods and hold his back. I have a golf buddy that does this, always claims to be in pain but only seems to be bothered by the pain when he hits a bad shot.

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

I like Day but always felt he was one of those guys that used health / injury as an excuse for playing bad golf. I've see him stripe a 350 yard drive down the middle of the fairway without a wince then put one into the woods and hold his back. I have a golf buddy that does this, always claims to be in pain but only seems to be bothered by the pain when he hits a bad shot.

When Tiger was going thru his back troubles he did the same thing.

My opinion is that he mailed it in in this particular instance. Not saying that he doesn’t have a back condition, more of if he was 4 under thru the first 9 holes at the John deere he would have continued.

This is considered work to these guys..he basically put in for a week of vacation when he got into work a whole lot of bs was going down.

This thread is wild lol. He spent a day with his family.... not join ISIS.......

Dudes accomplished more athletically then anybody on here, made generational money, has a cool little family and gets to play golf for a living. Good for him, enjoy some PTO bro.

TSR2  | Original One Mini |Apex UW 19

Nike Vapor Speed 4i | 5-GW T100S Black 

SM8 Black 54* / 60*

Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

WITB

Longevity in golf does not seem possible with modern tempo/speed. Is a shorter ball better for all?

Isn’t a speed issue persay. It’s the extreme unnatural angles they create coupled with the high speed transition.

Day doesn’t rotate hips much at all. I never hit it like him but I had similar issues, I’m two hip labral repair and two herniated now. If he think he can’t walk now...

I feel like a lot of the old timers took a good crack at it. Jack and Arnie didn’t leave much in the tank and they played for a long long time. It just seemed like maybe their swings were more free flowing when compared to Day.

The longer swings with exaggerated turns and movement seemed to have limited injuries for many.... Jack, Phil, Daly. Day's back issues were inevitable with the way he forces that much torque by limiting hip movement while maximizing shoulder turn.

Freddy Couples?

TaylorMade Qi10 10.5* 
Callaway BB Alpha 816 16*
Srixon Z H45 Hybrid 19* 
Srixon ZX Utility 23*
Srixon ZX5 Mk II 5-AW

Callaway Jaws Raw Black 54 & 58
TaylorMade Spider Tour Black
Bridgestone Tour RX

Live from the players just said he had 4 cortisone shots in his back after the API. That is crazy. I hope he knows that will end up breaking down his back more just because of what is in those shots.

Its to numb the sciatic nerve and alleviate the inflammation.its better than surgery but is only temporary unfortunately as i know all too well

He's got a few weeks of really good golf swings ahead of him. Then probably back to this only slightly worse. The same thing happens when I previously got cortisone in my shoulders. I picked up 10 mph (100% serious) on my driver and swung amazing, but it was most certainly short term gain, long term pain (those few weeks of sleeping through the night were heavenly though).

I can completely relate.I felt awesome ( very loose and numb) for 3 weeks and i too was able to sleep all through the night for the first time in 6 months then suddenly just like that it was back. Its better for shoulders,knees elbows hands but for the back its hit or miss.Some people see benefits for 2 months some for 2 weeks some not at all. It really helps with inflammation to the point that you feel like you can do more than you should! I miss that sleep though!

Longevity in golf does not seem possible with modern tempo/speed. Is a shorter ball better for all?

Isn't a speed issue persay. It's the extreme unnatural angles they create coupled with the high speed transition.

Day doesn't rotate hips much at all. I never hit it like him but I had similar issues, I'm two hip labral repair and two herniated now. If he think he can't walk now...

I feel like a lot of the old timers took a good crack at it. Jack and Arnie didn't leave much in the tank and they played for a long long time. It just seemed like maybe their swings were more free flowing when compared to Day.

The longer swings with exaggerated turns and movement seemed to have limited injuries for many.... Jack, Phil, Daly. Day's back issues were inevitable with the way he forces that much torque by limiting hip movement while maximizing shoulder turn.

Freddy Couples?

Couples, like Nicklaus and Trevino in his prime, lined up to the left and dropped it in on the way down, pushing most of their shots. This action is very hard on the back.

Everyone used to talk about Trevino hitting a cut, but truth is it was a push. As a senior, Trevino hit a lot of draws and hooks to take the pressure off his back. As a comparison, Lietzke and irwin (and Snead in his later years) hit a fade by lining up left and taking the club well inside on the takeaway, coming over it a bit on the downswing. It's a natural action similar to what so many of us do, just on a smaller scale. It's very effective and much easier on the body.

The modern swing keeps the clubhead above the plane going back, drops the club way inside coming down and then has a ton of rotation at the very bottom. The physical capabilities these athletes have to generate speed and torque leads to injuries when using such a move. That club being so inside on the downswing is also the reason why we see so many shanks on Tour these days.

One thing to remember. Great golf was not invented in the last twenty years. There was plenty of great golf back in the days when the prominent coaches were named Jack Daniel and Johnnie Walker, and as far as the sports psychologist was concerned her name changed depending on the town.

The great players of the past would have hit the ball just as well and just as far as the players of today given the same equipment and without any of the training. The great players of today would have been great players in previous eras. The gifted of any generation will be successful given whatever it is they have with which to work.

"You think we play the same stuff you do?"

--Rory McIlroy 

The dude pushed his body to the limits working out and became #1 in the world. Now he is injured because of it. Call me crazy but i would take that tradeoff, he cashed in on that hard work while it lasted.

Having had a back injury (work related) so severe that I lost the use of my left leg for a time, I can honestly say no level of achievement or wealth is worth the loss of one's health.

Backs are a difficult thing. Often times the doctors don't really understand what is going on or how to treat them. They throw stuff at the wall and hope something sticks.

I am glad Day is well enough "today" to take his family to Disney World and don't begrudge him that one bit.

But who knows what "tomorrow" will bring.

--Rory McIlroy 

Isn't a speed issue per say. It's the extreme unnatural angles they create coupled with the high speed transition.

Day doesn't rotate hips much at all. I never hit it like him but I had similar issues, I'm two hip labral repair and two herniated now. If he think he can't walk now...

I feel like a lot of the old timers took a good crack at it. Jack and Arnie didn't leave much in the tank and they played for a long long time. It just seemed like maybe their swings were more free flowing when compared to Day.

Freddy Couples?

Couples, like Nicklaus and Trevino in his prime, lined up to the left and dropped it in on the way down, pushing most of their shots. This action is very hard on the back.

Everyone used to talk about Trevino hitting a cut, but truth is it was a push. As a senior, Trevino hit a lot of draws and hooks to take the pressure off his back. As a comparison, Lietzke and irwin (and Snead in his later years) hit a fade by lining up left and taking the club well inside on the takeaway, coming over it a bit on the downswing. It's a natural action similar to what so many of us do, just on a smaller scale. It's very effective and much easier on the body.

The modern swing keeps the clubhead above the plane going back, drops the club way inside coming down and then has a ton of rotation at the very bottom. The physical capabilities these athletes have to generate speed and torque leads to injuries when using such a move. That club being so inside on the downswing is also the reason why we see so many shanks on Tour these days.

One thing to remember. Great golf was not invented in the last twenty years. There was plenty of great golf back in the days when the prominent coaches were named Jack Daniel and Johnnie Walker, and as far as the sports psychologist was concerned her name changed depending on the town.

The great players of the past would have hit the ball just as well and just as far as the players of today given the same equipment and without any of the training. The great players of today would have been great players in previous eras. The gifted of any generation will be successful given whatever it is they have with which to work.

Kind of like JB Holmes?

Snead used that move throughout his career. He had a name for that shot - it's in another thread. Chandelle?

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

Kind of a threadjack here but......One thing that irks me about the whole thing is, yes he made a minor mistake of playing instead of letting someone else play, big deal. The world isn't fair. But to have guys from twitter like Tron Carter literally doxxing the guy and having the NLU fans go after Day is extremely callous. Not only is it unprofessional but it makes you and your fans look insane. God forbid the guy goes and enjoys a day with his family with a stiff back...who knows if he was on muscle relaxers or pain killers, those things can provide a little help.

The twitter/Tron fiasco really pissed me off, it's one thing to do it for humor but don't personally attack a guy let alone tweet private pictures out of him and his KIDS. For a recent dad Tron really acted like an immature @$$hole here.

Taylormade M2 10.5° [color=#0000ff]Graphite Design AD-BB 7x[/color]
Titleist 913 FD 15° [color=#a9a9a9]Diamana 'Ahina 70x[/color]
Titleist 716 AP2 3 iron [color=#a9a9a9]Accra 110i[/color]
Titleist 716 MB 4-PW [color=#0000ff]Project X 6.0[/color]
Vokey [color=#000000]Jet Black [/color]SM7 52° 56° 60° [color=#000000]S400 Tour Issue Black Onyx[/color]
Scotty Cameron Newport [color=#daa520]Teryllium[/color] Sole Stamp

Kind of like JB Holmes?

Snead used that move throughout his career. He had a name for that shot - it's in another thread. Chandelle?

Holmes takes it inside early, but then lifts it into a more upright position at the top. He then shallows the shaft coming down from there. He's not over his backswing plane.

It's actually very much like what Nicklaus did.

I don't remember ever hearing Snead use that word, but I do remember the teaching pro AJ Bonar using that word to describe Snead's fade. I have never been able to find that word associated with golf in any Internet search. May not be spelling it exactly right. I'd love to find more about it.

Here's something that explains the dictionary definition of "chandelle."

https://rebelliongolf.com/right-is-not-always-right/

--Rory McIlroy