2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Battle of the darlings: G400 Max vs. Cobra F9

dxdgenert

What is the feeling on last year's darling the PING G400 Max versus this year's Cobra F9? I haven't been able to hit the F9 but am going from the F7, which I like but don't love. I picked up a used G400 Max for $212 but am curious what others, who have hit/played both, think.

Background on me: Short hitter (240-260 yards via laser/GPS measurement). Used to miss right, if i didn't close the face (slight over the top) but have been able to work on my grip and now worry about the hook. Low launch (10-11*) with high spin, due to a flat or negative angle of attack and low tee height.

Callaway Mavrik 9* w/ Aldila ROGUE White 130 M.S.I. 60
Callaway Mavrik 3 wood w/ Aldila ROGUE White 130 M.S.I. 70
Callaway Mavrik 3 hybrid w/ Project X Catalyst 75
PXG Gen 1 0311X 4 iron w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80
PXG Gen 5 0311 XP 5-7 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 5 0311 XP 8-GW w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 2 0311 Forged 54 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 2 0311 Forged 60 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

Titleist Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2 

Had each out for 1 round and the F9 was a little better, but I was really struggling to find the center in trying to knock off some winter rust. The Max was very close in distance which says a lot for its forgiveness, but directionally it was a little worse on that day actually. Will blame part of it on trying a much shorter shaft which was the only one I had with a ping adapter, and the SW was a bit off whereas the F9 was set up how I wanted after some testing.

The sound definitely bothered me on the Max, but like a true ho I’m going to give it another shot with a (hopefully) better setup and maybe some hotmelt to quiet it down. Could’ve also been the cold temps contributing to the sound. Going to be moving on from the F9 for now but I think you can’t really go wrong with either depending on what you’re looking for.

Thanks. It’s tough because I can spend whatever I want but if the Max is all that it was cracked up to be (last year), $212 vs $399 is a big difference. The last driver that I loved was the PING K15 that I had before my Cobra F7. I guess I’m hoping to recapture some of that magic. The F7 was good but short and wasn’t as forgiving as I’d hoped it would be.

F9 distance better, didn't find much benefit in G400max dispersion. May depend what kind of contact you normally get on the face, though I did feel like the F9 was pretty forgiving as well.

Titleist TSi3 8*, Tensei AV White 65X

Cobra Big Tour 3W, Project X HZRDUS RDX Blue 70X

Ping G425 19* 3H, LA Golf Tour AXS Red 85X

Taylormade UDI 3i, Diamana Thump 100X

Taylormade p790 5-AW, C-Taper 130X

Titleist Vokey SM7 52* 10S bent to 53

Titleist Vokey SM7 56* 8M bent to 57

Titleist Vokey SM7 60* 12D

Thanks. It’s tough because I can spend whatever I want but if the Max is all that it was cracked up to be (last year), $212 vs $399 is a big difference. The last driver that I loved was the PING K15 that I had before my Cobra F7. I guess I’m hoping to recapture some of that magic. The F7 was good but short and wasn’t as forgiving as I’d hoped it would be.

Agree about F7. Not forgiving at all and shorter than the Biocell from years prior imo. I just order a ST190 and cant wait to trade Cobra in for credit.

I have both. The Max is by far the most forgiving and user-friendly driver I've ever used. I can reliably draw it or fade it, and even grip down on it to flight it low. Played my first bogey free round ever with the Max.

I tried the F9 at a recent demo day. Its spun 400 less than my Max and produced more ball speed by 2-3 MPH, so I bought one. So far I've been experimenting with the F9 on course and it's definitely longer "best for best." I'm still not sure which way I'll go though because the Max is a real confidence inspiring driver that makes it very easy to get the ball in play.

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

I would suggest looking into the F8 Plus before spending full retail on a new F9. The performance difference is much smaller than the price difference.

However with an over the top swing and the fact that you like the Ping K15, the 400 SFT may be a better fit for you than the 400 max.

I played a G SFT before the 400 max and really liked the built in weighting that helped close the face consistently. In fact I'm thinking of putting the G SFT back in the bag.

What is the feeling on last year's darling the PING G400 Max versus this year's Cobra F9? I haven't been able to hit the F9 but am going from the F7, which I like but don't love. I picked up a used G400 Max for $212 but am curious what others, who have hit/played both, think.

Background on me: Short hitter (240-260 yards via laser/GPS measurement). Used to miss right, if i didn't close the face (slight over the top) but have been able to work on my grip and now worry about the hook. Low launch (10-11*) with high spin, due to a flat or negative angle of attack and low tee height.

That should be an interesting match up!

I have both. The Max is by far the most forgiving and user-friendly driver I've ever used. I can reliably draw it or fade it, and even grip down on it to flight it low. Played my first bogey free round ever with the Max.

I tried the F9 at a recent demo day. Its spun 400 less than my Max and produced more ball speed by 2-3 MPH, so I bought one. So far I've been experimenting with the F9 on course and it's definitely longer "best for best." I'm still not sure which way I'll go though because the Max is a real confidence inspiring driver that makes it very easy to get the ball in play.

This.

I've tried the MAX several times and it is ridiculously easy to keep it play. i.e. it is verrrrrrry forgiving. Only clubs I've found that are as easy to keep in play are my Cally Fusion and the new Honma 747.

For the F9 I cannot find a shot shape and dispersion I can live with. Ball speed is a touch higher with the F9 and it's about 10 yards longer (carry) than either the Max or the Fusion because of lower spin rates but even trying multiple shafts there's nothing I can do with the F9. :dntknw:

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

So it sounds like the F9 has some “extra yards” in it but is not as forgiving as the G400 Max. I’m OK with that if I feel like the Max is still longer and easier to hit than my F7.

I’ll chalk up the F7 as a crazy deal (less than $100 new from a Dick’s blowout) that didn’t work. I wanted to like it. The problem is that I just can’t get any yards out of it. Drives that are flushed go 260. Serviceable ones go 245. Bad ones go 230. I’m not a big hitter but my K15 was 10(?) years older but 10-25 yards longer. It’s possibly a shaft issue but the Max will have a similar shaft to the K15 (TFC).

Any thoughts from users as to fade/draw bias in the two heads?

I've tried drivers in the past with fade bias and they don't work as well for me, already a fader 5-9 yds.

• Ping G400 9* Fujikura Speeder 661 X (+16g head weight)
  • Tour Edge Exotics CB3 Tour 18*, True Temper Bi Matrix RXi X 
  • Adams Idea A7 19* & 22* UST V2 Hybrid X +0.5'
  • Mizuno MP20 HMB 4i KBS C-Taper 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Mizuno MP20 MMC 5-7 Nippon Modus 3 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Mizuno MP20 MB 8-PW Nippon Modus 3 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Cleveland RTX3 V-MG 50* TT S400 +0.5'
  • Nike Engage Raw 54* TT S400 +0.5'
  • Cleveland RTX 588 Rotex 2.0 60* TT S400 +0.5'
  • EVNROLL 2.2 35' Super Stroke GTR 1.0

I've tried drivers in the past with fade bias and they don't work as well for me, already a fader 5-9 yds.

Cobra CS explained to me that the F9 10.5 and 12 degree heads were neutral and "minutely" draw bias, respectively. But that the 9* head was fade bias and I could offset that by using the weight backward.

I am also currently playing the F7 and am interested in the F9. I like the F7 ok, but agree with the comments above. If I hit it right on the sweet spot I get 270 carry, but if I miss the sweet spot, I experience a lot of distance loss to the tune of only 220 yards sometimes. It seems to be a real feast or famine driver. I would be curious to know how much this has changed with the F9.

I probably would like the Max, but my biggest issue is I’ve never had a chance to demo it with a shaft I like. I hate the stock Ping shaft offerings. The closest I got to trying it with something I like was a used Tensei Pro White TX; however I usually play a Stiff shaft.

Cobra CS explained to me that the F9 10.5 and 12 degree heads were neutral and "minutely" draw bias, respectively. But that the 9* head was fade bias and I could offset that by using the weight backward.

Thanks J-Bird, just the kind of inside knowledge I was looking to get. Appreciate that.

A slight draw bias had gives me a very straight ball flight, which I can then turn over a little too.

Never even hit a Cobra driver before but if it knocks the numbers from the G400 I tested then I like the option to move the CG with weights.

• Ping G400 9* Fujikura Speeder 661 X (+16g head weight)
  • Tour Edge Exotics CB3 Tour 18*, True Temper Bi Matrix RXi X 
  • Adams Idea A7 19* & 22* UST V2 Hybrid X +0.5'
  • Mizuno MP20 HMB 4i KBS C-Taper 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Mizuno MP20 MMC 5-7 Nippon Modus 3 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Mizuno MP20 MB 8-PW Nippon Modus 3 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Cleveland RTX3 V-MG 50* TT S400 +0.5'
  • Nike Engage Raw 54* TT S400 +0.5'
  • Cleveland RTX 588 Rotex 2.0 60* TT S400 +0.5'
  • EVNROLL 2.2 35' Super Stroke GTR 1.0

I am also currently playing the F7 and am interested in the F9. I like the F7 ok, but agree with the comments above. If I hit it right on the sweet spot I get 270 carry, but if I miss the sweet spot, I experience a lot of distance loss to the tune of only 220 yards sometimes. It seems to be a real feast or famine driver. I would be curious to know how much this has changed with the F9.

I probably would like the Max, but my biggest issue is I've never had a chance to demo it with a shaft I like. I hate the stock Ping shaft offerings. The closest I got to trying it with something I like was a used Tensei Pro White TX; however I usually play a Stiff shaft.

The Alta shaft, for me, was crap as well. The tour shaft in 70 grams, was actually pretty good and not far off from my favorite the Green proto I have used for awhile from UST/Mamiya. Which I have heard they make the Tour shafts for Ping, so that make sense for me.

• Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - GW Cobra King Tour - Axiom 105X
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

I had a F8+ before the 400 Max, and while good, I obviously chose the Max. I have tested the F9 and it is good as well, but not as forgiving. Average drives the 400 max is longer, best drives the F9 wins out, but I need forgiveness more than I need a few yards.

• Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - GW Cobra King Tour - Axiom 105X
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

Thanks J-Bird, just the kind of inside knowledge I was looking to get. Appreciate that.

A slight draw bias had gives me a very straight ball flight, which I can then turn over a little too.

Never even hit a Cobra driver before but if it knocks the numbers from the G400 I tested then I like the option to move the CG with weights.

You can also use draw settings to increase the lie angle by 1.5 degree which should help a little with a left bias, but the weight setting back will help more.

So it sounds like the F9 has some "extra yards" in it but is not as forgiving as the G400 Max. I'm OK with that if I feel like the Max is still longer and easier to hit than my F7.

This is kind of what I'm feeling right now. I played the Max last season and have an F9 at the moment. The Max was one of the easiest to hit and launch drivers I've hit in a long time, and incredibly forgiving, while not being high spin for me. If you're a guy that needs launch and spins it low, it's the club for you. The F9 I haven't gotten onto the course to measure yet, and all my testing has been done with the weight forward so kind of a different animal, but for me thus far it's got a more powerful, penetrating flight, even in the 10.5 head I have. I tend to hit a lower ball so more loft is helpful for me. The Max wanted to get up into the air, flatten out and turn over a bit, where the F9 is more of a lower running type of tee shot, for me. The 400Max kills it in forgiveness, that club felt like anywhere on the face was hot, where the F9 in my testing doesn't have the same upper toe hot spot and feel. YMMV, different for everybody.

I probably would like the Max, but my biggest issue is I've never had a chance to demo it with a shaft I like. I hate the stock Ping shaft offerings. The closest I got to trying it with something I like was a used Tensei Pro White TX; however I usually play a Stiff shaft.

The Alta shaft, for me, was crap as well. The tour shaft in 70 grams, was actually pretty good and not far off from my favorite the Green proto I have used for awhile from UST/Mamiya. Which I have heard they make the Tour shafts for Ping, so that make sense for me.

I also play a 44 inch shaft so the stock Ping shafts feel really long to me and wobbly. I’m hoping I can find a G400 Max to test at some point with a shaft in it more similar to my gamer - Diamana Thump.

For years now I’ve had trouble understanding why so many pros play 43.5” to 44.25” drivers, yet amateurs who cannot remotely find the center nearly as often, insist on playing 44.5” to 45.5” drivers.

2019 may just be the best crop of drivers and fairways in history. Great clubs from most makers. But, we need to recognize that these drivers are often very different even within the same make and type.

For example, the F9 9.0 & 10.5 drivers are very different machines meant for very different swings. Throw in the numerous shaft variables and the adjustability capability and it’s possible that while you might not like any of them, it’s also possible that simply thinking through these variables and trying a few creative solutions might just yield an optimum combo. I’m betting the same is true for other makes as well. Merely trying one loft and one or two shafts on any of these clubs likely won’t yield much meaningful perspective one way or the other.

I wound up with 44.25 and D5 swingweight and the ATMOS TS Blue (black) 6S and surprisingly like this combo much more than my normal DI 6 or even my old F7M2 shafts. Anyway, just food for thought.

• Like 1

Paradym Ai Smoke MAX 10.5  Velocore Red 6S 45" D3

Rogue ST MAX 3,5,7W Velocore  Red 7S 

Srixon ZX4-4, ZX5-5&6, ZX7 7-PW

MODUS 120 S +3/4, D3-D5

SM8 Raw 52 F-12, 56 V,  & 60 V

Scotty Circle T Red Dot 350g Newport 2 (A006794), Pro V1x, Miura Alt bag: 4-PW CB57’s & K Grinds 52,56,60,64 or Fun Bag MP-33 5-PW 

For years now I’ve had trouble understanding why so many pros play 43.5” to 44.25” drivers, yet amateurs who cannot remotely find the center nearly as often, insist on playing 44.5” to 45.5” drivers.

2019 may just be the best crop of drivers and fairways in history. Great clubs from most makers. But, we need to recognize that these drivers are often very different even within the same make and type.

For example, the F9 9.0 & 10.5 drivers are very different machines meant for very different swings. Throw in the numerous shaft variables and the adjustability capability and it’s possible that while you might not like any of them, it’s also possible that simply thinking through these variables and trying a few creative solutions might just yield an optimum combo. I’m betting the same is true for other makes as well. Merely trying one loft and one or two shafts on any of these clubs likely won’t yield much meaningful perspective one way or the other.

I wound up with 44.25 and D5 swingweight and the ATMOS TS Blue (black) 6S and surprisingly like this combo much more than my normal DI 6 or even my old F7M2 shafts. Anyway, just food for thought.

Not to get off topic, but I'd be curious to know of more than a few, if any pros are playing a 43.5" driver. Maybe not 45.5"+ but they're not <44".

Not to get off topic, but I'd be curious to know of more than a few, if any pros are playing a 43.5" driver. Maybe not 45.5"+ but they're not <44".

I have no data to back me up but when I joined this site years ago it seemed Avg Tour driver was around 44.75. Now it seems to be creeping up to around 45-45.25” when I look at the WITB specs in golf mags.

Ping G430 Max 10.5 Tensei Orange AV Raw 55 Reg

Ping G430 SFT 5w 19* Alta Black Reg

Ping G430 SFT 7w 23* Alta Black Reg

Tour Edge Xrail 5h 26* Graphite Design G-Series Reg

Ping G425 6-UW Alta Slate Reg

Ping Glide 4.0 56* WS Nippon Z-115

Cleveland CBX Full Face 2 60* DG Spinner

Cleveland Smart Sole C 4.0 

Ping 2023 Anser D

Handicap: 8.2

Then you NEED to try the Epic Flash sub zero....lol

SwingBlade

What do you mean by 9.0 and 10.5 F9s being very different? Is there a difference besides loft?

Internal CG placement for strike per ball speed....somehow that add loft on lower strikes for higher lofts due to the needs of normal users...whereas the 9 reduces that launch and spin primarily based on higher club head speed guys using that loft....or something like that....

I guess Rickie is using the 10.5 since he’s a normal Joe?

I see in the instruction guide for F9 where it shows some differences between heads, had never seen those before. Still seems mostly loft and lie angle related to me based on what they say (launch, trajectory, and swing speed).

Has Cobra put out anything else that goes into further depth?

I'm an F8 player. But I had paypal bucks sitting around, and I found a good deal on the G400Max with the same shaft I have in the F8, so I jumped on it. I did not find it the G400Max to be an improvement over the F8, and the Max sound was not nearly as nice. So, I sold the Max, and then I had paypal bucks again. Which I why I picked up an F9 this morning.

What should I try after I sell the F9 and have paypal bucks again?

I'm an F8 player. But I had paypal bucks sitting around, and I found a good deal on the G400Max with the same shaft I have in the F8, so I jumped on it. I did not find it the G400Max to be an improvement over the F8, and the Max sound was not nearly as nice. So, I sold the Max, and then I had paypal bucks again. Which I why I picked up an F9 this morning.

What should I try after I sell the F9 and have paypal bucks again?

F10?

Lulz

Driver: Ping G430 Max 10K Kai'li White 60x

3w: Epic Flash Hzrdus 70x

Hybrid: Cally Apex 19°

4i-Pw: Ping i200 PX 6.0

Wedges: SM9 50° / 54° / 58°

Putter: Cally Ten S

I played the MAx all year and now a F9 and the F9 sounds better and is longer, the MAX knock was the lack of distance and the F9 makes up for it. I feel they are similar in forgivness the reason I switched is the F9 sounds/feels better and is longer with true shot shaping. F9 is the Ping MAX of last year.

Signature of Solon CC

Mizuno STX 230 10.5 Accra fx 3.0 140 m0

Titleist Tsr1 15 tour ad di6

Titleist 917 18 Kk proto

Titleist Tsr1 4 hybrid Accra fx 2.0 

Titleist t300 5-Pw Matrix Red proto moi matched 

Wilson Staff zm 50 recoil dart v

Wilson staff zm 56 recoil dart v

Vokey Wedge Works Raw 60K DG Tour Issue S400 Black Onyx

L.A.B. Mezz Max blue Tpt shaft 34/71