STL to DC - I-64 - Course Recommendations (So IN, KY, WV, VA)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is a shame that you're missing Sultan's Run near Jasper, IN. It is a better course than many you have listed. I haven't played all of them however.

Which ones would you put it over? Really the only two it could replace would be the Ross Course at French Lick or Chariot Run. However, it seemed like the consensus was that those two were better than Sultans Run.

It is a shame that you're missing Sultan's Run near Jasper, IN. It is a better course than many you have listed. I haven't played all of them however.

Which ones would you put it over? Really the only two it could replace would be the Ross Course at French Lick or Chariot Run. However, it seemed like the consensus was that those two were better than Sultans Run.

I like it better than the Ross Course at French Lick and Brickyard Crossing. I have not played Chariot Run. Some of the later ones aren't as good either but I guess those don't matter.

NB: I haven't played Sultan's Run in almost 10 years now so I can't speak to current conditions but I used to have a client in the area and play it regularly.

I like it better than the Ross Course at French Lick and Brickyard Crossing. I have not played Chariot Run. Some of the later ones aren't as good either but I guess those don't matter.

NB: I haven't played Sultan's Run in almost 10 years now so I can't speak to current conditions but I used to have a client in the area and play it regularly.

I’ve never played a Ross course before and living in the Midwest there’s just not a ton of them out there that I would have the chance to play.

Any recommendations for replacement courses for some of the others later that you aren’t a fan of?

Chariot Run is a snap call. It's easily the best course I've played in Indiana. I liked it so much that I went back a couple weeks after I first played it as part of a group trip, and I'll be going back again sometime soon. Great link-style course with lots of challenge and character.

Personally I would play Sultans Run over the Ross course. Sultans has a fun mix of holes, lots of elevation change and character. Ross is old school, with greens that border on insane at times. I was very disappointed in the conditions there last July when our group went, especially for the price.

So Chariot Run is the best public course in this area (it’s not far outside of Louisville). I’ve always heard really good things about the Ross but have only played the Dye at FL.

My suggestion to break things up on your drive: hit Ross then go to Kearney. UK Club Big Blue is solid too but I think things are a little better at Kearney. With all the driving and other rounds though I’m not sure you wanna walk Kearney. Hit Chariot Run on the way home.

Also, if it helps, I took a trip to Glade Springs and really enjoyed it. The Cobb or the Stonehaven course (think those are the names) are the way to go. I don’t know much about the rest of the golf on that leg though so can’t compare it.

So Chariot Run is the best public course in this area (it's not far outside of Louisville). I've always heard really good things about the Ross but have only played the Dye at FL.

My suggestion to break things up on your drive: hit Ross then go to Kearney. UK Club Big Blue is solid too but I think things are a little better at Kearney. With all the driving and other rounds though I'm not sure you wanna walk Kearney. Hit Chariot Run on the way home.

Also, if it helps, I took a trip to Glade Springs and really enjoyed it. The Cobb or the Stonehaven course (think those are the names) are the way to go. I don't know much about the rest of the golf on that leg though so can't compare it.

Thanks! I Think in an effort to save some money and to not play two courses that are both an hour out of the way, I'm going to skip the Ross course. So I'd play Chariot Run and then Kearney in Lexington as it is right off the interstate. Do you remember which course at Glade Springs you liked better? From my real brief understanding the Stonehaven course is more cut out of the mountain and has a lot of elevation change where the Cobb course is more of the championship course that hosts the Monday qualifier for the Greenbrier. Coming from STL where there's no scenery I am leaning towards playing the Stonehaven course to try and get more of a wow factor even though the Cobb might be the better golf course. If I'm off here let me know.

I concur with all who have recommended Spring Creek. The course at Keswick is great too, though. It's probably a little less challenging than Spring Creek and is more set up to be fun. Spring Creek is a big, modern course that can definitely be demanding. You are going to have to really hustle to get 18 in at the PD River Course and Spring Creek in the same day in March, although with DST you can play until at least 7:30 now. I'm guessing it's got to be a two hour drive between the two.

Looks like you've abandoned the DC options? If you're still considering the two courses, I'd be careful with conditions at Laurel Hill. It was in pretty sad shape last September.

Ringing endorsement for Spring Creek. Great spot.

The DC choices were for more for while I was there. Or potentially on my way out of town. Not sure if I will be able to sneak in a round or not. I really like the look of Whiskey Creek or Musket Ridge however being in NOVA south of DC I'm not sure it will make sense for me to go up through MD to get to I-70 since I will be leaving during rush hour on Tuesday. The courses close to where I'm staying are Potomac Shores and Laurel Hill.

Interesting note about Laurel Hill I will have to make sure to get an updated conditions report as I think they're still charging a decent amount to play.

I concur with all who have recommended Spring Creek. The course at Keswick is great too, though. It's probably a little less challenging than Spring Creek and is more set up to be fun. Spring Creek is a big, modern course that can definitely be demanding. You are going to have to really hustle to get 18 in at the PD River Course and Spring Creek in the same day in March, although with DST you can play until at least 7:30 now. I'm guessing it's got to be a two hour drive between the two.

Yeah I looked at Keswick and it's actually only $75 on boxgroove. Still seems like I have heard nothing but great things about Spring Creek so I don't know if I'll bump it for Keswick. Doesn't look like I'm going to end up going that way where I'd go through Radford unless the weather changes. I got a good deal for a room at Glade Springs in WV on groupon for like $70 so it looks like I'm pretty locked in on doing Glade Springs in the morning and then heading to Spring Creek. I should be able to make a tee time around 2ish at Spring Creek so I should have enough time to get a round in and then get to DC by dinner time (hopefully)

Stay with Spring Creek over Keswick. Traffic is horrible as you approach DC so what may look like 2 hours can easily be 3:30 hours (plus going from Spring Creek you will hit some Richmond traffic if you take I95). Should be fairly smooth driving to Spring Creek though.

Yeah Spring Creek sounds legit. Google Maps says to take highway 15 north to 20 east over to I-95. Would traffic really be bad heading north on I-95 that far south of DC? Shows I'd be getting on I-95 just west of Fredricksburg VA and then going north until I get to Woodbridge where I'll be staying.

Stay with Spring Creek over Keswick. Traffic is horrible as you approach DC so what may look like 2 hours can easily be 3:30 hours (plus going from Spring Creek you will hit some Richmond traffic if you take I95). Should be fairly smooth driving to Spring Creek though.

Yeah Spring Creek sounds legit. Google Maps says to take highway 15 north to 20 east over to I-95. Would traffic really be bad heading north on I-95 that far south of DC? Shows I'd be getting on I-95 just west of Fredricksburg VA and then going north until I get to Woodbridge where I'll be staying.

Fredricksburg is where the traffic starts and Woodbridge is where it gets bad. You will be okay if you miss peak rush hour though.

From Charleston WV to DC you drive past this gem..........

http://petedye.com/

in Bridgeport WV. I have played several that have been suggested and none are equal to Pete Dye Golf Course. YMMV

Ping G430 Max 9* Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X
Ping G425 Max 14.5 Alta CB 65S
Callaway Rogue ST Max 18* Tensei Blue 75S

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Titleist SM9  52*F 56*D and 60*D
L.A.B. Link1/Scotty Newport
Srixon Z Star XV

Would pass on musket ridge if you end up playing in the Frederick MD area. Not a bad course but nowhere near Whiskey Creek. I would put Worthington Manor above Whiskey as well - used to host pro events (want to say Champions Tour?) and is a US Open qualifying site nearly every year. Not many courses in the area will be all that spectacular condition-wise this time of year, but if I had to pick a couple most likely to be in the best condition possible, Worthington would be on that list.

Very cooo trip though. Doing something similar during a Masters trip as we’re going to play some of the courses on your list in VA (hopefully Spring Creek).

in Bridgeport WV. I have played several that have been suggested and none are equal to Pete Dye Golf Course. YMMV

I’ll be heading to the south part of DC in VA so won’t be heading that way from Charleston or else I would have definitely checked it out.

Would pass on musket ridge if you end up playing in the Frederick MD area. Not a bad course but nowhere near Whiskey Creek. I would put Worthington Manor above Whiskey as well - used to host pro events (want to say Champions Tour?) and is a US Open qualifying site nearly every year. Not many courses in the area will be all that spectacular condition-wise this time of year, but if I had to pick a couple most likely to be in the best condition possible, Worthington would be on that list.

Very cooo trip though. Doing something similar during a Masters trip as were going to play some of the courses on your list in VA (hopefully Spring Creek).

The more I’ve thought about it less it seems like I will be going to be playing any of the MD courses. I’ll be staying in the Woodbridge area and I’ll be leaving around 7am or so on Tuesday morning to head back to STL which I imagine would be peak rush hour so probably a lot better to head south from Woodbridge and take I-95 down to head back west on I-64. If I end up playing in DC it would most likely be as close as I can to Woodbridge which sounds like Potomac Shores or Laurel Hill.

You are dead on with the Glade courses. Cobb is a classic style, solid golf course. Stonehaven gives you more “Whoa” moments with holes you maybe haven’t seen something like it before or cool Mountain Views. The other two courses share a clubhouse while Stonehaven is on a completely different part of the property. It all depends on what you like, and if you don’t play much mountain style golf AND think you will like a little bit of target golf then hit up Stonehaven.

I’ll be heading to the south part of DC in VA so won’t be heading that way from Charleston or else I would have definitely checked it out.

If you are taking 64 across WV and VA, then I would check out the Greenbriar course. Old White is awesome. There are some deals you can find through the week if you are not staying at the resort.

Ping G430 Max 9* Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X
Ping G425 Max 14.5 Alta CB 65S
Callaway Rogue ST Max 18* Tensei Blue 75S

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Titleist SM9  52*F 56*D and 60*D
L.A.B. Link1/Scotty Newport
Srixon Z Star XV

If you are taking 64 across WV and VA, then I would check out the Greenbriar course. Old White is awesome. There are some deals you can find through the week if you are not staying at the resort.

I don't think it opens until April 1st so I'll be too early. I could potentially play it on the way home but I just don't think I can pay the $350 they want especially in early spring conditions.

• 2 weeks later...

Trip update:

I had to make a couple audibles due to crowded courses. I had a tight window to play 36 both days and get where I needed to be at a reasonable time. My original plan was to play Chariot Run, Kearney Hill, Stonehaven at Glade Springs and Spring Creek. But I ended up playing the Ross course at FL, Chariot Run and the Stonehaven and Cobb courses at Glade Springs. I’m planning to add the Woodhaven course at Glade Springs on my way home. A few quick thoughts. I can add some photos when I get home.

Ross course at FL - awesome design that could be really fun to play. However, they have some serious turf condition issues. For a course of its caliber to be in that condition was unacceptable to be pretty blunt.

Chariot Run - really liked this course. I can see why it was highly recommended on here.

Stonehaven course at Glade Springs Resort - huge fan. Great conditions for this time of year and the course was a lot of fun to play. My favorite of the 4 courses I played.

Cobb course - a little bit of a let down. Not a bad course, but not all that memorable.