Scotland Golf Trip 101 (The Compass Guide)

Anybody travel to St Andrews with a Verizon smartphone? Is it better to simply pony up for the TravelPass ($10 a day), or buy a SIM ($20 - $30) in Glasgow, and do without a phone while sitting around Heathrow waiting for my connecting flight?

After watching people try to enter 20 digit number and understanding various reasons why their phone won't work I can't believe that most people wouldn't be better off going with the travel pass. Here's the one trip that you need to understand however, if someone calls you and you try to call them back by simply pressing their number/name it often doesn't work... why? Because most US people don't enter their contacts with the country code. You won't find a number in my contact list that doesn't have +1, +353, +44, +61, etc but I travel internationally so often that I'm used to having country codes anyway. Just take notice that if things don't work then this is likely why.

Anybody travel to St Andrews with a Verizon smartphone? Is it better to simply pony up for the TravelPass ($10 a day), or buy a SIM ($20 - $30) in Glasgow, and do without a phone while sitting around Heathrow waiting for my connecting flight?

That could be the deciding factor. Will you get the sweats and shakes if you can't use your phone for a few hours?

The cheapest thing is to use a local SIM, assuming you have an unlocked phone to use with it, but $10 a day is small potatoes in the big scheme of things. I chose to get a local UK SIM last summer. I used an older unlocked phone, and I had the SIM sent to me before I left, so I had everything set up and was ready to go when I hit the ground.

I used the layover last week in Heathrow to buy a SIM and get on the local cellular network. There was a great shop, really just a kiosk, with a helpful employee to walk me through it. I went with Vodafone for 30 pounds and never needed to top up voice or data for the week. I had checked with my carrier stateside and they assured me that my handset was already unlocked. I just had to go into the settings and switch the network to get on Vodafone. They text you about a thousand ridiculous marketing messages over the week, but those were easily deleted.

My mother opted for AT&T's 10 dollar a day international plan. 40 bucks isn't make or break on a week long trip, but I think my phone worked better as far as getting data which was important for navigation as well as calling for restaurant reservations, tee times, and hotels. There was 15 minutes of international calling included, but I don't think I used but 3 or 4 minutes as my wife and I had decided to email as the time difference was so great.

Is Verizon really $10 a day? I have Sprint - which uses the Verizon network sometimes, or the other way around - and it was $25 for a 7 day unlimited data pass. When I landed in Edinburgh I turned my phone on, it sent me an auto-text asking if I wanted to buy the pass and I did. Couldn't have been easier.

But if a SIM is $30 and you have to go through that whole process - I might just pony up for the easier option. On a trip to Scotland and extra $40 gets lost in the noise - especially if it saves you some time and hassle.

TM Stealth2 10.5* - Ventus TR Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Kaili Red 75s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TBD - TM P7MC // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey 46*/50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

Is Verizon really $10 a day? I have Sprint - which uses the Verizon network sometimes, or the other way around - and it was $25 for a 7 day unlimited data pass. When I landed in Edinburgh I turned my phone on, it sent me an auto-text asking if I wanted to buy the pass and I did. Couldn't have been easier.

But if a SIM is $30 and you have to go through that whole process - I might just pony up for the easier option. On a trip to Scotland and extra $40 gets lost in the noise - especially if it saves you some time and hassle.

Is that Sprint plan for Data Only? I think many of the previous posters are looking for phone and texts too. The PAYG SIMs will handle a reasonable amount of calling both within the UK and back home, as well as data and texting enough for a week stay. If you can wait and get the SIM when you arrive, the cost can be as low as 15 or 20 pounds. It costs a bit extra to have the SIM sent to the States, but you can be completely set up before you arrive.

Verizon's TravelPass is $10 a day in Europe. It allows you to use your minutes and data from your regular plan. They also offer a monthly international plan for $70, but it only includes 100 minutes of talk, 100 sent text messages, and 0.6 Gb of data.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Is that Sprint plan for Data Only? I think many of the previous posters are looking for phone and texts too.

Thats for unlimited high speed data. Sprint actually already includes international texting and basic data at no charge - so if you just want texts or dont mind slow data, you're not paying anything. Calls are a flat 25 cents a minute but I never used them.

TM Stealth2 10.5* - Ventus TR Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Kaili Red 75s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TBD - TM P7MC // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey 46*/50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

Re the Verizon question - hard to say. For me it was pure convenience, and set it up for the lines my wife and two daughters were on. One of my daughters used her phone on two days, the other on 4 days, my wife on two days - I used mine half a dozen of the days over two weeks. We had the occasional need to communicate when we were apart, but also used our laptops whenever we needed data, when I needed to access stuff for work and email, etc. So the phones just weren't used that much. I got a few calls re work I needed to answer, had to make a couple of calls related to our lodgings, couple of texts to a caddie, just didn't use it as much, but those days I triggered the $10 I got my money's worth.

Anybody fly to Glasgow with a layover at London Heathrow? Does one go through customs in Glasgow, or at Heathrow? I'l looking to book my train from Glasgow to Leuchars, and I have to account for the time it will take me at Glasgow airport.

'Just discovered that Stagecoach bus X24 goes directly from Glasgow Airport to St. Andrews. It takes 3.5 hours (vs. 3.0 on the train), but it doesn't require three transfers. As much as I love trains, I may wind up taking the slower, direct route.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

> Anybody fly to Glasgow with a layover at London Heathrow? Does one go through customs in Glasgow, or at Heathrow? I'l looking to book my train from Glasgow to Leuchars, and I have to account for the time it will take me at Glasgow airport.

>

If I remember correctly, you'll have to go through customs at Heathrow.

That's the case for most, if not all international flights. When landing at the port of entry, customs need to be done, then you can go through to your domestic (in this case UK) flight

> @theboypinoy said:

>

> > Anybody fly to Glasgow with a layover at London Heathrow? Does one go through customs in Glasgow, or at Heathrow? I'l looking to book my train from Glasgow to Leuchars, and I have to account for the time it will take me at Glasgow airport.

> >

>

> If I remember correctly, you'll have to go through customs at Heathrow.

>

> That's the case for most, if not all international flights. When landing at the port of entry, customs need to be done, then you can go through to your domestic (in this case UK) flight

>

I believe it was the same for me in 2014. My clubs ended up staying Heathrow for some reason, but they eventually made it up to Scotland.

> @Argonne69 said:

> Anybody fly to Glasgow with a layover at London Heathrow? Does one go through customs in Glasgow, or at Heathrow? I'l looking to book my train from Glasgow to Leuchars, and I have to account for the time it will take me at Glasgow airport.

>

> 'Just discovered that Stagecoach bus X24 goes directly from Glasgow Airport to St. Andrews. It takes 3.5 hours (vs. 3.0 on the train), but it doesn't require three transfers. As much as I love trains, I may wind up taking the slower, direct route.

You'll clear customs at Heathrow.

How long is your connection to Glasgow? When we went we only had about 50 minutes to connect because of a delay getting in. We made the connection, but our clubs did not. It wasn't a big deal since we didn't have anything planned for the first day and they arrive in Glasgow on the next flight so we just waited at the airport and had dinner/there.

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

I have an hour and twenty minute layover at Heathrow. I imagine that should be long enough.

• 3 weeks later...

My flight is in 10 hours. I'm in the process of packing, and I can't figure out how to get a week's supply of 2XL clothes into a 22 inch carry-on suitcase. Argh! I may toss a few items in my golf bag, but with my luck the airline will nail me for having non-golf gear in the bag. First World problems, I know.

> @Argonne69 said:

> My flight is in 10 hours. I'm in the process of packing, and I can't figure out how to get a week's supply of 2XL clothes into a 22 inch carry-on suitcase. Argh! I may toss a few items in my golf bag, but with my luck the airline will nail me for having non-golf gear in the bag. First World problems, I know.

I did laundry one day and it really helps. Not sure where you are staying but should be available either hotel/guest house. Also you will buy some shirts / pullovers I'm sure as well.

'Just checked my BA flight, and it's delayed an hour. If the flight doesn't make up the time, there's a good chance I'll miss my connecting flight to Glasgow. FFS.

Lol. I'm sitting at a bar at O'Hare killing time before my delayed flight. I had to change my flight tomorrow due to the delay, as I wouldn't have had enough time tho make the connection. I was able to switch to a flight to Edinburgh, so even though I'll be leaving London 70 minutes later, I should still make into St Andrews at roughly the same time. Oh, and for the trouble British Airways comped me a 2nd checked bag, so I don't have to lug my carry on through the airports. Hopefully the clubs and suitcase arrive in Edinburgh. Lol.

> @Argonne69 said:

> Lol. I'm sitting at a bar at O'Hare killing time before my delayed flight. I had to change my flight tomorrow due to the delay, as I wouldn't have had enough time tho make the connection. I was able to switch to a flight to Edinburgh, so even though I'll be leaving London 70 minutes later, I should still make into St Andrews at roughly the same time. Oh, and for the trouble British Airways comped me a 2nd checked bag, so I don't have to lug my carry on through the airports. Hopefully the clubs and suitcase arrive in Edinburgh. Lol.

Apparently is young Tom Morris' birthday - you'd think anything related to golf in Scotland would be blessed today.

I made it to Edinburgh, and I'm on the bus to St Andrews. 11.50 pounds isn't bad. 'Much cheaper and more convenient than the train. Got to see the Forth Bridge, which is a real treat for a railfan. The weather is a perfect 73 degrees and sunny. Unfortunately I don't think it's going to stay this nice the remainder of the week.

> I made it to Edinburgh, and I'm on the bus to St Andrews. 11.50 pounds isn't bad. 'Much cheaper and more convenient than the train. Got to see the Forth Bridge, which is a real treat for a railfan. The weather is a perfect 73 degrees and sunny. Unfortunately I don't think it's going to stay this nice the remainder of the week.

Glad to hear you're on the way. Hopefully the weather does stay nice!

I created a new trip report thread in the UK subforum.

FFS, is it common for European hotels to demand a passport number to check into a prepaid room? It's bad enough that all my PII is available on the Dark Web, but do I really need to cough over the last piece?

• Like 1

> @Argonne69 said:

> FFS, is it common for European hotels to demand a passport number to check into a prepaid room? It's bad enough that all my PII is available on the Dark Web, but do I really need to cough over the last piece?

Extremely common and the normal practice for virtually every hotel I've stayed in outside of the US. I don't really understand why this is a big deal though. It isn't like your passport number is going to be that key last piece to stealing your identity :)

Well on the positive side you'll be back in the land of golf carts everywhere, bluetooth speakers, beverage carts, painted greens, 32oz 'medium' sized drinks, and incessant air conditioning soon enough.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.