My Experience Gaming Blades as a Mid-High Handicapper

Andus

to me, blades are the ultimate gi irons. you get all the feedback you need on bad swings, and that will require you to practice to make better swing, wheres as the real gi clubs just band aid a bad swing.. imho

There are people that play golf their entire life and never break 90. Practice doesn’t mean you will get better. The simple fact is some people will just never be good at certain things no matter what. That said, everything you just said can be accomplished with any club. Plenty of scratch or better players that play GI clubs that aren’t putting a “bandaid” on anything but rather using equipment that is less penal on less than perfect contact.

Whenever I have my CB 501s in the bag I feel my ball striking getting better, mainly off the feedback. But the AP2s off the toe/heel or even thin just get so much closer to the flag.

Not sure why handicap keeps being brought up in threads like these. Generally a 20 handicapper (for argument sake) shouldn't be playing blades... But what if he has a terrible short game and is horrible with the driver? What if he hits the blades pure? Why wouldn't be be gaming them? Ball striking and handicap do go hand and hand to a certain degree, but they're not a 1:1 relation. Good ball striking does not equal low scores, nor does poor ball striking equate to poor scores.

The last 3-4 years I've struggled with ball striking and still got down to as low as a 3 handicap at one very brief point. Mostly hovering last year around 4-5. My short game makes up for my misses. But there are people who are on the opposite end of the spectrum.

Two great points here! I do disagree with the first one though. There is 0% chance a 20 handicapper is puring much of anything much less blades. And, even less on a consistent basis. Unless your definition of pure is very liberal it's not possible. Your driver and short game is so underdeveloped that your handicap is 20 and you can pure blade irons? No Way

I do really like an honest assessment of your game down to a 3 handicap. A struggle with ball striking at a 3 is much more realistic than saying the only problem at 15 is short game. I think you are WAY more likely to be a 3 and struggle (by your definition) with ball striking than be a 15 and say all of your issues are in your short game.

Titleist TSi2 10* Ventus Blue 6X
Titleist TS2 16* Diamana S+ 60X 
Taylormade Rescue 22* Aldila XVS9
Titleist T100S TT Dynalite Sensicore X100 4-PW
Vokey SM5 50*, 54* and 60* TT DGS400
SIK Pro Custom

Whenever I have my CB 501s in the bag I feel my ball striking getting better, mainly off the feedback. But the AP2s off the toe/heel or even thin just get so much closer to the flag.

Not sure why handicap keeps being brought up in threads like these. Generally a 20 handicapper (for argument sake) shouldn't be playing blades... But what if he has a terrible short game and is horrible with the driver? What if he hits the blades pure? Why wouldn't be be gaming them? Ball striking and handicap do go hand and hand to a certain degree, but they're not a 1:1 relation. Good ball striking does not equal low scores, nor does poor ball striking equate to poor scores.

The last 3-4 years I've struggled with ball striking and still got down to as low as a 3 handicap at one very brief point. Mostly hovering last year around 4-5. My short game makes up for my misses. But there are people who are on the opposite end of the spectrum.

Two great points here! I do disagree with the first one though. There is 0% chance a 20 handicapper is puring much of anything much less blades. And, even less on a consistent basis. Unless your definition of pure is very liberal it's not possible. Your driver and short game is so underdeveloped that your handicap is 20 and you can pure blade irons? No Way

I do really like an honest assessment of your game down to a 3 handicap. A struggle with ball striking at a 3 is much more realistic than saying the only problem at 15 is short game. I think you are WAY more likely to be a 3 and struggle (by your definition) with ball striking than be a 15 and say all of your issues are in your short game.

Concur. See it all the time - especially on reddit. "I'm a mid cap but I just can't putt". No. If you have a game with your irons you have a game in general. I thought I was hitting the ball well when I was a 15 as well. Turns out I wasn't. Chipping is not hard. Practice putting enough and you can 2 putt most of the time and 1 putt sometimes. Hitting one pure iron strike per round isn't having a good long game either. I guarantee you that JoeJoe's "mishits" are probably OPs "pures".

Concur. See it all the time - especially on reddit. "I'm a mid cap but I just can't putt". No. If you have a game with your irons you have a game in general. I thought I was hitting the ball well when I was a 15 as well. Turns out I wasn't. Chipping is not hard. Practice putting enough and you can 2 putt most of the time and 1 putt sometimes. Hitting one pure iron strike per round isn't having a good long game either. I guarantee you that JoeJoe's "mishits" are probably OPs "pures".

You're correct but it's more than just chipping is easy IMO. As handicaps go down and skill (and expectations) go up, every missed GIR that you don't make par hurts you more. Moving from a 15 to a 14 handicap is not the same thing as going from a 5 to a 4, just as going from a 5 to a 4 for isn't the same as +1 to +2. There is a lot more successful scoring required as your handicap gets lower. Putting is the same. So is GIR. You have do to all of those things proportionally better to lower your handicap and much more consistently as your handicap gets better.

The lower your handicap, the more your flaws get exposed.

SIK Pro Custom

...But what if he has a terrible short game and is horrible with the driver?

Then he should probably give up golf because he's also a terrible iron player--he just hasn't realized it yet, LOL.

Seriously though, it's one thing to impress yourself by hitting a blade 7-iron decently on the range when you expect it to be impossibly difficult. Virtually everyone does that. It's short. It has loft. It's not going to go that far off-line because it's a 7-iron. And it'll get up as long as you don't chunk it! :)

But being a legitimately strong iron player (someone who's good enough to make real use of blades) is a lot more than simply being able to make decent contact and avoid disastrously embarrassing shots when they're beating balls. The handicap system is not a perfect, but it's a darn good indicator of how much someone is able to control their swing and produce the various shots golf demands: drives, approaches, pitches, putts, etc.

If someone is indeed "horrible" with their driver it's undoubtedly because of swing faults they've yet to figure out. And because those faults are yet to be figured out, they most assuredly still exist everywhere in their game. Mistakes will be made with clubs throughout the bag. They are not club-specific. People only believe they're decent iron players because they don't necessarily chunk their 7-iron. But standing in the fairway with that 7 only to miss the green is worse than most mid-handicappers realize.

To pretend it's possible to be great with the irons yet incompetent with the wedge and the driver is just naive.

I read these comments about mid-handicappers claiming to be snowflakes all the time--I used to be that guy. I've only come to realize it's silly and untrue. We've all played golf. We've seen every type there is. There are no secrets. There's no fooling anyone.

Besides some players being longer than others, there's nothing special about any 15-handicap. Let's not go down this road where everyone's game is totally unique to them and they're immune to criticism. Yeah, some guys are marginally better off the tee or on the greens but that's not enough to explain it all.

TSR3 (9o) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2+ (14.5o 3w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

TSR2 (21o 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-Gw) (Nippon Modus3)

SM9 56-F / 60-S
Maltby PTM-5CS

Play what you enjoy IMO.

That said, as a UK scr / 1 handicap & a pretty good ball striker for that level I know that using say Ping i210 type of heads puts me in a much better position with my slight mishits than a pure blade does. On that basis ( I care about my scores) I use chunkier clubs. My misses are toe hits, pure blades are horrible to those misses.

I've often thought about this and I reckon there is a handicap point where it makes no real difference I.e. If you are a 20+ handicapper as the marginal forgiveness gains of a more GI club don't really help most of the junk strikes you are likely to have thrown at them.... Front edge of green v front bunker is a big gain for me, 10 yards short v 15 yards short doesn't really matter to the average high h/cap.

Lol. You guys are asking for it. There’s some world class ball strikers on here that just can’t drive, chip, or putt.

LOL

On Tour ? On here ? Go ahead, name a few of them. :D

The thing is that all this stuff is relative. The worst putters/chippers on Tour are miles ahead of some terrific amateurs I've seen. Are some high level amateurs Tour Standard ? Yeah, probably.

I personally have never seen an "8" (out of 10) ball striker that was a "2" putter and short game. I've seen an 8 iron player who was a 6 driver or a 6 putter & short game. But never so disparate as 8/2 unless there was a physical ailment involved.

I HAVE seen a 3/4 ball striker who was an 8 p&sg but the reason for this is obvious. One can practice chipping in their back yard for hours a day. One can practice putting in their living room for hours a day. One cannot so easily practice their "ball striking". ;)

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

Sorry to disturb you up there on your high horse, but I have a slight issue with your maths, which kind of makes most of the rest of your post irrelevant. If someone is hitting 6 GIR and 2 putting, then if the rest involve a chip and 2 putts then they are playing to 12. Assuming Par 72 that's an 84, then it only takes a couple of balls in the drink or OB and you're shooting 87. So basically, the OP is getting grief for not accounting for 3 shots. Over 4 hours of golf.

Also a bit ironic that you accuse people of not knowing their games, yet when people post actual stats from recent games they don;t count for some spurious reason - oh yes, because the CB's were rentals. Even though they were set up in the same way as every set of irons that golfer has used (off the rack). Plus, if MB's are as impossible to use as some people think, AP2's should be easy to adjust to and get instant results from. So whilst hitting one less GIR is to be expected, hitting 4 less? In the context of a thread discussing whether easier irons to hit will improve your GIR, that sounds fairly pertinent, no?

I look at games with rentals as Try Before you Buy opportunities (and it's worked, I'm about to go buy an 818 H2 based on the one I borrowed at the same time), and based on the experience I had, I have no interest in trying AP2's for a season to see if I magically hit an additional green a round at the end of it. I'd rather improve my current swing and do that with the VR Pros. As, being blades, they encourage me to practice more ;)

Talk about irony. Sorry you feel that someone with a different opinion than yours is on their "high horse". Are you on yours ? :blink:

As psg has already corrected your "maths", I won't bother much but at 84, especially from most CR/slopes I've seen that 12 would be more of an 8, not to mention that I don't think I've seen anybody that plays with any frequency and who can hit 6 GIRS, go 0 for 12 at getting up and down. Almost by mistake they're going to get a few up and down.

Suffice it to say though, I saw you are in the UK and CONGU and USGA handicapping are not directly comparable. Next January we won't have that problem.

As for trying before buying, by all means. Clubs are expensive. I would expect to try and buy. But to me, you sounded as if you were concluding the CBs were no good because you only hit 22% of greens in ONE round. That is ridiculous. If I misread your "conclusion", I apologize.

And if blades encourage you to practice more, IMO, there's something wrong with your attitude towards the game. The game, and trying to improve at it, should want to make you practice more; not the clubs you play with. Just one person's opinion. ;)

I never suggested CB's were no good in the slightest - in the context of the discussion that moving to cavities could gain you an extra GIR or two, I merely pointed out from my experience, for my game and the way I hit the ball that isn't the case. I have no doubt that if I struggled to launch the ball the AP2's would knock my VR Pro's into a cocked hat, but I don't - I have the opposite problem. Someone mentioned earlier they'd never heard of anyone wanting to hit a 4 iron lower? Well I'm that guy :) I play in the wind and on the Links a lot, so the lower more penetrating flight from a MB is preferable for me. What I lose on mishits (less than suggested on this thread for me) I gain in keeping control of the ball in windy conditions. Swings and roundabouts imo.

Anyway my point of the maths lesson was that over 18 holes if you have 6 GIR and 0 up and downs then shooting around 87 isn't entirely implausable, and 30 years playing this game has taught me that anything is possible. However I did also say that it would need an OOB or two, so I do also agree that the OP probably has a couple of other issues at play. Got to say I like this US system though - it sounds like I can play off 8 and still shoot 87 without having .1 added :)

Sadly this is all distracting from the point of the thread, so all I can say OP is enjoy the new sticks - they may be a phase, or they could turn out to be all you'll ever play. As you say, it will be fun finding out.

Oh, and get some short game lessons - with that swing speed and alleged GIR percentage, throw in a decent short game and you could be dangerous.

The Dee Three - Titleist TS4 9.5 deg, EvenFlow White 6.5 65g, A1 Setting

Henrik - Titleist 917 F3 15 deg, Rogue Max 75x, B2 Setting

The Walking Stick - Titleist 818 H2 19 deg, Rogue Max 85x, B2 Setting

The Interloper - TaylorMade P770 3 iron, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5inch +1 deg loft

The Blades - Nike VR Pro 4 - AW, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5 inch

The Sand Iron - TaylorMade MG2 TW-12 Grind, 56 degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Flopper - TaylorMade MG2 TW-11 Grind, 60 Degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Putter - Nike Method 003 from The Oven

"Golf is only called golf as all the other four letter words have been taken"     - Leslie Nielsen

...But what if he has a terrible short game and is horrible with the driver?

Then he should probably give up golf because he's also a terrible iron player--he just hasn't realized it yet, LOL.

Seriously though, it's one thing to impress yourself by hitting a blade 7-iron decently on the range when you expect it to be impossibly difficult. Virtually everyone does that. It's short. It has loft. It's not going to go that far off-line because it's a 7-iron. And it'll get up as long as you don't chunk it! :)

But being a legitimately strong iron player (someone who's good enough to make real use of blades) is a lot more than simply being able to make decent contact and avoid disastrously embarrassing shots when they're beating balls. The handicap system is not a perfect, but it's a darn good indicator of how much someone is able to control their swing and produce the various shots golf demands: drives, approaches, pitches, putts, etc.

If someone is indeed "horrible" with their driver it's undoubtedly because of swing faults they've yet to figure out. And because those faults are yet to be figured out, they most assuredly still exist everywhere in their game. Mistakes will be made with clubs throughout the bag. They are not club-specific. People only believe they're decent iron players because they don't necessarily chunk their 7-iron. But standing in the fairway with that 7 only to miss the green is worse than most mid-handicappers realize.

To pretend it's possible to be great with the irons yet incompetent with the wedge and the driver is just naive.

I read these comments about mid-handicappers claiming to be snowflakes all the time--I used to be that guy. I've only come to realize it's silly and untrue. We've all played golf. We've seen every type there is. There are no secrets. There's no fooling anyone.

Besides some players being longer than others, there's nothing special about any 15-handicap. Let's not go down this road where everyone's game is totally unique to them and they're immune to criticism. Yeah, some guys are marginally better off the tee or on the greens but that's not enough to explain it all.

101931659-453829350.530x298.jpg?v=1408485620

Titleist Pro V1X

Luckily I keep a track on my stats through 18 Birdies, and they certainly are enlightening if we are talking GIR. My average GIR over the last 10 rounds is 48.9%, yet the two rounds I have played in those with CB's (Rentals, same loft/lie as mine, S300 vs S400) are coming in at 44.3% and (incredibly) 22.2%. One course was the first time I'd played it, the lower number I've played a few times now - and 18 Birdies rates them both as easier than the one I play at home. So the data I have, on my game, suggests I hit more greens with my irons than I do with something "easier to hit".

This is why my advice with blades is always to try them and see how you get on. They don't work for everyone, but if they do, they are well worth the effort.

I never suggested CB's were no good in the slightest - in the context of the discussion that moving to cavities could gain you an extra GIR or two, I merely pointed out from my experience, for my game and the way I hit the ball that isn't the case. I have no doubt that if I struggled to launch the ball the AP2's would knock my VR Pro's into a cocked hat, but I don't - I have the opposite problem. Someone mentioned earlier they'd never heard of anyone wanting to hit a 4 iron lower? Well I'm that guy :) I play in the wind and on the Links a lot, so the lower more penetrating flight from a MB is preferable for me. What I lose on mishits (less than suggested on this thread for me) I gain in keeping control of the ball in windy conditions. Swings and roundabouts imo.

My friend, I never said you did say that CBs were "no good in the slightest".

I quoted up top what you originally said.

You appear to have judged that CBs were no good for YOUR game after ONLY "2 rounds with rentals". 22% "incredibly" ???

Do you really think that because the CB rentals "spec'd" the same you should hit them the same ? Swing them the same ? They should "feel" the same ? No time getting used to them ? Didn't they "swing differently" ? Or did they "feel" exactly like your blades while you were swinging them ? I'm thinking probably not.

I hit around the same number as greens as you do (9) (in your last 10 anyway) and I've had rounds where I've hit only 3 or 4 GIRS on a bad day with my OWN clubs. ;) Does that mean I should dump them ?

And CBs are not (only) about hitting a couple of more greens; it's also about the proximity to the hole. The closer you get the more likely you'll 3 putt less and 1 putt more. :)

But I'll say it one more time. Everybody should play whatever they want for whatever reason(s) they want. :hi:

Titleist Pro V1X

There are so many variables to this thread that it is laughable. First, I am sure there are a tremendous amount of members here that are absolutely amazing ball stickers. Then there is a camp of people that feel that club choice should be based off of handicap. That is a terrible stereotype. Second, a 3 at one course or club is not the same at another. Duh! Just because he is a mid-handicap should have no baring. He may play at a really difficult track.

Also, since you are on Wrx you are fully aware that certain spec/grinds benefit other players better than some. I know that first hand. I went to the Apex pro last year and could not control the distance gaps. I went back to more of a traditional players cavity this season( and in limited time playing) I am seeing the ability to control flight and distance again. Something that was lacking all last year. I am not sure if I have the All around game to play them, but signs are showing promise. To the OP, thank you for sharing your experience. It is a reminder to all that this is a game and games should be fun. If your fun is the struggle to hit quality shots, then so be it. If others version of fun is to shoot the lowest scores then get fit and get after it. Don't begrudge another because they wanted to try something different and brings him joy.

Driver: Tour Issue Epic Flash TD 10.5o w/ Fuji Ventus Black 6x 

5wd: Taylormade Sim2 SHAFT???    

Hybrid: 19Titleist 915 w/ Diamana 90 Stiff

Irons: 4Iron thru GW Titleist T100  Shaft????     

Wedges: Edel Wedges 54 & 58 Nippon Modus 125 

Putter: PXG Bat Attack Gen1

Just because you make good contact with the ball doesn't mean you hit a good shot, in terms of scoring. You could pure a ball 20 yards to the right or left. You could pure a ball 20 yards over the green or short of the green if you don't have your distances dialled in. It's not all about the contact, it's your line and distance. That's the point I'm trying to make. Although the "20 handicapper playing blades" isn't extremely likely, it's not impossible.

My ball striking issues are not tops or shanks or hooks or anything of that nature. There's no way I could get down to a 3 that way. Low greens in regulation are my struggles. Shots slightly off the toe and missing short and left. Slightly chunkier shots in the long irons from time to time. But my chipping has improved dramatically because I'm typically 3-4 yards off the green so I'm always hitting those delicate shots. I have no problem opening my face and flopping off a tight lie with little to no green to work with. I put myself in those situations a lot, so those shots come natural to me.

Could I play blades? Sure. But all they're going to do is exaggerate those slight misses I already have with a players iron that already has help.

TSr2 10 Tensei Blue 65

TSr2 15 Tensei Blue 75

TSr2 21 Tensei Blue 75

Black T100.S 4-P LZ 6.0

Black SM9 48.10.F, 54.10.S, 62.08.M

Jet Set Newport 2 

There are so many variables to this thread that it is laughable. First, I am sure there are a tremendous amount of members here that are absolutely amazing ball stickers. Then there is a camp of people that feel that club choice should be based off of handicap. That is a terrible stereotype. Second, a 3 at one course or club is not the same at another. Duh! Just because he is a mid-handicap should have no baring. He may play at a really difficult track.

Also, since you are on Wrx you are fully aware that certain spec/grinds benefit other players better than some. I know that first hand. I went to the Apex pro last year and could not control the distance gaps. I went back to more of a traditional players cavity this season( and in limited time playing) I am seeing the ability to control flight and distance again. Something that was lacking all last year. I am not sure if I have the All around game to play them, but signs are showing promise. To the OP, thank you for sharing your experience. It is a reminder to all that this is a game and games should be fun. If your fun is the struggle to hit quality shots, then so be it. If others version of fun is to shoot the lowest scores then get fit and get after it. Don't begrudge another because they wanted to try something different and brings him joy.

The whole point of the HC rating system course rating/slope is so that your scoring relative to the course is taken into consideration - what are you evening trying to say? Of course some clubs are going to feel more comfortable than others - golf is about feels and comfortability with your clubs. If OP likes his clubs then great. No chance miss hitting an MP18 is helping him more than if he was miss hitting a 919 Forged or something else Mizuno makes. I guarantee you he would score better with a cavity. Guarantee.

I am curious about the difference or if there is one in the age demographic with people who think hitting a blade is no big deal and those that liken it to trying to find the holy grail. Some of us grew up with equipment before the technological revolution and some after and that is all they know. I have used both.

I am 46 fwiw.

Play what you enjoy hitting and enjoy having in your bag. Simple as that. I do not think the OP is necessarily poo-pooing the difference in forgiveness between GI irons and blades. What he is saying is that he perceives that his new clubs are allowing him to hit the center of the face more often. Perhaps as a bonus, having blades in the bag will inspire him to practice more or practice smarter, finding enjoyment out of hitting his new irons.

[b]Driver[/b]: [color=#0000ff]TM SIM 9*, Fuji Ventus Black 6X[/color]
[b]Fairway Wood: [color=#0000ff]TM SIM 14*, Fuji Ventus Blue 7X[/color]
[b]Hybrid[/b]: [color=#0000ff]TM SIM Max 19*, Tensei Pro White 90S[/color]
[b]4-9 iron[/b]: [color=#0000ff]Miura CB57, KBS C-Taper Lite X[/color] 
[b]PW, GW[/b]: [color=#0000ff]Titleist SM8, KBS C-Taper Lite X[/color]
[b]Sand, Lob[/b]: [color=#0000ff]Titleist SM8, Dynamic Gold 120 S400 Tour Issue[/color]
[b]Putter[/b]: [color=#0000ff]Toulon Las Vegas, Stroke Lab[/color] 
[b]Ball[/b]: [color=#0000ff]Titleist ProV1, Titleist AVX

I am curious about the difference or if there is one in the age demographic with people who think hitting a blade is no big deal and those that liken it to trying to find the holy grail. Some of us grew up with equipment before the technological revolution and some after and that is all they know. I have used both.

I am 46 fwiw.

37, and no big deal. First set of hand me down irons were blades, learned how to play with them. Tried some of the more forgiving offerings that came down the pike (Cally X- Pro Series, etc.), and settled on a set of Mizuno Pro IIs that I used through late high school and college. The Pro IIs were probably harder to hit than any blade I've tried in the past 5-6 years.

[b]Driver[/b]: [color=#0000ff]TM SIM 9*, Fuji Ventus Black 6X[/color]
[b]Fairway Wood: [color=#0000ff]TM SIM 14*, Fuji Ventus Blue 7X[/color]
[b]Hybrid[/b]: [color=#0000ff]TM SIM Max 19*, Tensei Pro White 90S[/color]
[b]4-9 iron[/b]: [color=#0000ff]Miura CB57, KBS C-Taper Lite X[/color] 
[b]PW, GW[/b]: [color=#0000ff]Titleist SM8, KBS C-Taper Lite X[/color]
[b]Sand, Lob[/b]: [color=#0000ff]Titleist SM8, Dynamic Gold 120 S400 Tour Issue[/color]
[b]Putter[/b]: [color=#0000ff]Toulon Las Vegas, Stroke Lab[/color] 
[b]Ball[/b]: [color=#0000ff]Titleist ProV1, Titleist AVX

I have seen many good low handicap golfers that are very poor from 40 yards in. To me it is all about the scoring and how you manage the course. You can have swiing speed of 110 mph with the driver and 95mph with a seven iron, if you have no close in game, your overall game is deficient. When ever I practice, the first 30-45 minutes are spent on chipping and 50 yards in. To be a good complete golfer short game and putting is a must. I would suggest tucking your ego in your back pock forget about how fast you swing and concentrate on your short game your scores will drop and you handicap will as well. When asked about his practice routine Dustin Johnson said 60-80% on short game. The balance on the rest of the clubs.

Play well!

First post be gentle pls ....

Fair play to OP absolutely beauts of some irons and this has certainly given me some light reading at work !

Im a 12 HCP lowest ive been was 11 but have been a tinkerman club wise.

Originally gamed some MP60's (sold em to a mate massive mistake) and got some CB714's , thought hmmm not as nice as my old mp60s handicap going up perhaps some GI's would help cue some 716 AP2's hated them to me felt so clunky.

Went the polar opposite with a set of Srixon Z765 and 965 combos 765 - 4-6 965 7-PW

Absolutely gorgeous looking irons but realised for me the blades were just hurting my score and whilst i love the look thats what i want to improve.

Finally settled on set of JPX900 Tours , love the look like the feel and inspire a bit of confidence and i think i feel more comfortable knowing im not at a disadvantage at my level with all out blades,

For me its finding a balance where marginal gains help me out to get better, ive done a few custom fits my lofts are all weak and im 2* up lie wise , but the only thing i think you missed in your original post was to anyone looking at blades is to try anything and everything you can and not be afraid of them if that guy/gal feels they are the one for them.

Like everyone says golf is hard .... so make sure your having fun with it !

Apologies if you did tell all to try everything but it was 6 pages ago !

D- Ping G410 SFT - Oban Iwasa 04 

3Wd - Ping G425 SFT - Ping Tour Stiff 

4# Srixon ZX5 Tour AD DI 95 Stiff

5+6# Srixon ZX5 - MMT 105 S

7-PW# Srixon ZX7 - MMT 105 S

50 - Vokey SM8

56 - TM MG3 Tiger Spec

P- Betti Queen B #12

Just because you make good contact with the ball doesn't mean you hit a good shot, in terms of scoring. You could pure a ball 20 yards to the right or left. You could pure a ball 20 yards over the green or short of the green if you don't have your distances dialled in. It's not all about the contact, it's your line and distance. That's the point I'm trying to make. Although the "20 handicapper playing blades" isn't extremely likely, it's not impossible.

My ball striking issues are not tops or shanks or hooks or anything of that nature. There's no way I could get down to a 3 that way. Low greens in regulation are my struggles. Shots slightly off the toe and missing short and left. Slightly chunkier shots in the long irons from time to time. But my chipping has improved dramatically because I'm typically 3-4 yards off the green so I'm always hitting those delicate shots. I have no problem opening my face and flopping off a tight lie with little to no green to work with. I put myself in those situations a lot, so those shots come natural to me.

Could I play blades? Sure. But all they're going to do is exaggerate those slight misses I already have with a players iron that already has help.

I know you're not hitting that poor of shots. You can obviously play and play well at a 3 index. But, why are your GIRs low? Are you attacking too many pins?

I always try to play to margins on most shots. If the pin is 155 that is between a full 8 and 9 for me. If the pin is in front I will hit the 8. If it's back I will hit 9. Something in the middle I may choose to be more aggressive and try to hit it close. Your chipping may be good but you need to get your GIR numbers up to get your scores to drop. Rounds where you are constantly having to save par are much more difficult to hold onto and definitely more taxing on you mentally.

SIK Pro Custom

I am 46 fwiw.

I'm 36 and played everything from Taylormade RAC LTs to Mizuno MP-29s. I think technology has made CBs more playable over the years as evidence by the number of pros who have taken blades out of the bag. If blades made that big of a difference, all the pros would still use them IMO. I don't know the % of PGA pros who use blades today, but I would guess it's 30% or less. The so-called "Players cavity back" is the most popular clubs among good ams and pros for a reason.

SIK Pro Custom

This is pretty laughable reading guys. Made me smile today.

Bottom line is there is little perceivable "forgiveness" in club design and the difference is not significant Much of it is marketing hype. The swing determines the result much moreso than the club being used. No club is going to bail out a less than perfect swing.

This is pretty laughable reading guys. Made me smile today.

Bottom line is there is little perceivable "forgiveness" in club design and the difference is not significant Much of it is marketing hype. The swing determines the result much moreso than the club being used. No club is going to bail out a less than perfect swing.

Sounds like blade marketing to me.

The whole point of the HC rating system course rating/slope is so that your scoring relative to the course is taken into consideration - what are you evening trying to say? Of course some clubs are going to feel more comfortable than others - golf is about feels and comfortability with your clubs. If OP likes his clubs then great. No chance miss hitting an MP18 is helping him more than if he was miss hitting a 919 Forged or something else Mizuno makes. I guarantee you he would score better with a cavity. Guarantee.

If you read through the replies, I was gaming JPX 900 HM prior to these, and my handicap has gone down. Guarantee.

TaylorMade SIM 10.5* - HZRDUS "Hulk" PVD Green 70 6.0

TaylorMade SIM Max 15* - GD AD-DI 7x

Callaway Mavrik Pro 20* Hybrid - GD AD-DI 85x

TaylorMade P770 4-5 - Project X 6.0

TaylorMade P7MC 6-PW - Project X 6.0

Mizuno T20 50*, 55*, 60* - TI S400

Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

Pro V1x

Fair play to OP absolutely beauts of some irons and this has certainly given me some light reading at work !

Originally gamed some MP60's (sold em to a mate massive mistake) and got some CB714's , thought hmmm not as nice as my old mp60s handicap going up perhaps some GI's would help cue some 716 AP2's hated them to me felt so clunky.

Went the polar opposite with a set of Srixon Z765 and 965 combos 765 - 4-6 965 7-PW

Absolutely gorgeous looking irons but realised for me the blades were just hurting my score and whilst i love the look thats what i want to improve.

Finally settled on set of JPX900 Tours , love the look like the feel and inspire a bit of confidence and i think i feel more comfortable knowing im not at a disadvantage at my level with all out blades,

For me its finding a balance where marginal gains help me out to get better, ive done a few custom fits my lofts are all weak and im 2* up lie wise , but the only thing i think you missed in your original post was to anyone looking at blades is to try anything and everything you can and not be afraid of them if that guy/gal feels they are the one for them.

Welcome and enjoy.....this place is awesome!

Welcome! This was one of my first posts too, I certainly got a warm welcoming to the forum... Maybe a bit warmer than I wanted lol.

TaylorMade SIM 10.5* - HZRDUS "Hulk" PVD Green 70 6.0

TaylorMade SIM Max 15* - GD AD-DI 7x

Callaway Mavrik Pro 20* Hybrid - GD AD-DI 85x

TaylorMade P770 4-5 - Project X 6.0

TaylorMade P7MC 6-PW - Project X 6.0

Mizuno T20 50*, 55*, 60* - TI S400

Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

Pro V1x

The op right now..

2864056461_cf2306d087_b.jpg

*The NE Florida Golf Realtor*

Titleist TSi3 9 deg / PX Hazardous Smoke Black RDX

Titleist 915 F 15 deg / Diamana 70
Titleist TSi2 18 deg Hybrid / PX Hazardous Smoke Black RDX
Titleist 716 MB PW-6i / T100 4i-5i Project X 6.0

Titleist Vokey SM5 50/8F

Titleist Vokey SM9 54/10S 58/10S

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

Welcome! This was one of my first posts too, I certainly got a warm welcoming to the forum... Maybe a bit warmer than I wanted lol.

Take it in stride young man.....it's the internet! You enjoy your blades UNTIL you don't! When you get serious about scoring , get some lessons.....until then enjoy this great site!

If you read through the replies, I was gaming JPX 900 HM prior to these, and my handicap has gone down. Guarantee.

Mkay. Well I'm playing better with AP2 than I was with my old AP1 but that's due to working on my swing not the club. We are talking slight mishit results. They are better with perimeter weighting. I really don't care what you play. There's a reason pros often don't play full sets of blades anymore and many opt for combo sets. Enjoy fantasy land.