An observation on shorts on the PGA Tour

dalehead

When I started playing 30 years ago, if I wore my golf attire off course people would ask, "Did you just play golf" or "Are you going golfing".

Today, wearing essentially the same apparel, people ask me if I have a "casual dress code at work", or "no longer need to wear suits". Golf is never mentioned.

Fashion changes with time...no one is suggesting tank tops and speedos for golf...but the current "pro" look is really dated, IMHO.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Put me in the "who cares" camp. This is just a silly season topic. Maybe golf should still be played with hickories while wearing a wool suit. Wouldn't that be enjoyable?

I can see people being put off if their lawyer showed up to work in shorts, but this is a sport FFS. Get over it.

Titleist TS3 w/ Even Flow White
M1 w/ Diamana Thump
M4 Tour w/ Kuro Kage TiNi
GAPR w/ KBS Tour Proto
Srixon Z-765 w/ PX LZ
Vokey 46° 
Hi-Toe 52° & 58°
Bobby Grace Tour Diamond 3

Put me in the "who cares" camp. This is just a silly season topic. Maybe golf should still be played with hickories while wearing a wool suit. Wouldn't that be enjoyable?

I can see people being put off if their lawyer showed up to work in shorts, but this is a sport FFS. Get over it.

Unless it's Ron Laflamme ; )

MeagerFittingAlpaca-size_restricted.gif

Unless it's Ron Laflamme ; )

MeagerFittingAlpaca-size_restricted.gif

If Ron was your council you deserve whatever comes your way lol

M1 w/ Diamana Thump
GAPR w/ KBS Tour Proto
Srixon Z-765 w/ PX LZ
Vokey 46° 
Hi-Toe 52° & 58°

Hopefully your 10 year old doesn't try to get a job in tech... I won't say I've ever not hired someone because they were in a suit, but if we say business casual and you show up in a suit, I'm not sure that your listening comprehension is all that strong.

That is exactly right. With my last two companies, we explicitly stated in our pre-interview communications that they should dress business casual and just in case that wasn't clear enough - included the phrase "no suits". Occasionally you get someone who misses the point - go figure.

I don't care about comfort, look or tradition. The root of this issue is professionalism.

The number one rule for professionalism in any industry is "dress for success."

Golf does not share this equivalency. The difference is that in - for the sake of argument - an office job - your success is partly based upon other's perception of you. Your appearance correlates to your success. In golf, your appearance is purely aesthetic. No one is failing or succeeding based on how they look, other than perhaps some subconscious look good/feel good/play good affect.

M1 w/ Diamana Thump
GAPR w/ KBS Tour Proto
Srixon Z-765 w/ PX LZ
Vokey 46° 
Hi-Toe 52° & 58°

I don't care about comfort, look or tradition. The root of this issue is professionalism.

Golf does not share this equivalency. The difference is that in - for the sake of argument - an office job - your success is partly based upon other's perception of you. Your appearance correlates to your success. In golf, your appearance is purely aesthetic. No one is failing or succeeding based on how they look, other than perhaps some subconscious look good/feel good/play good affect.

You officially aren’t in the “who cares” camp. :)

Wow - now there's a specific dress code that says suits are not allowed at work?

It's not about "comprehension" so much as it is about showing respect.

I can see telling a guy he's overdressed at an interview, but I can't see not hiring him because of it.

Anyways, watched a bit of the practice rounds and interviews and the majority of players were still wearing pants. I may have gotten "interested" in the ones wearing shorts though.... :blush:

[media=]

[/media]

You officially aren't in the "who cares" camp. :)

Dammit.

M1 w/ Diamana Thump
GAPR w/ KBS Tour Proto
Srixon Z-765 w/ PX LZ
Vokey 46° 
Hi-Toe 52° & 58°

Interesting to see such a wide variety of responses. Golf (at the top levels particularly) is continuing to become more and more of an athletic endeavor. Or, at least, we are realizing how much athleticism contributes to success.

Many people view it as a precision sport vs. a power/speed sport, but research continues to show that power/speed is a massive if not overwhelming part of the game. So it's always seemed odd to me that the attire was akin to other "precision" sports like darts or billiards or bowling.

Footwork, generating upward thrust for maximum power etc while wearing old-school oxfords just seems like an odd juxtaposition to me. A player seeking maximum thoracic spine flexibility while sporting a buttoned shirt, tie and vest seems bizarre.

Even tucking in a shirt in a sport where flexibility and speed is paramount seems odd. I understand tradition and whatnot, but I'm sorry, to me it's somewhat uncomfortable and counterintuitive. I played golf last year in some jogger shorts (google it) with an untucked straight hem Penguin shirt and damn was it comfy! And I looked as good (my opinion, obviously many will say I looked sloppy. I guess I'm just not that concerned with what other grown men wear) or better than typical golf shorts and big belt buckle guy. And it was super comfy.

Professionalism is the competence or skill expected of a professional. By saying shorts are unprofessional you are literally saying shorts make someone incompetent of being a professional golfer or that the attire they wear is somehow intrinsically linked to their level of skill. Seems silly, especially as standards of professionalism are not static.

Maybe I'm just unprofessional :D

...I guess I'm just not that concerned with what other grown men wear...Professionalism is the competence or skill expected of a professional. By saying shorts are unprofessional you are literally saying shorts make someone incompetent of being a professional golfer or that the attire they wear is somehow intrinsically linked to their level of skill. Seems silly, especially as standards of professionalism are not static.

I'm with this. Updating my position to "I don't care but I care if you care" ;)

M1 w/ Diamana Thump
GAPR w/ KBS Tour Proto
Srixon Z-765 w/ PX LZ
Vokey 46° 
Hi-Toe 52° & 58°

I never wear shorts on the course, even if it's 90 degrees and humid out. I do wear them for basketball and other activities, but never golf for some reason. Maybe it is to feel like a pro.

Oh, and I do walk and carry all the time... people have called me crazy, especially when wearing black pants too. At times I'll have to drink 6 or 7 waters and 2 or 3 Gatorades, but it's a good workout for sure.

“It’s a good workout”!?

New workout routine: put a pair of black pants on and lose an extra 3-5 pounds?

...I guess I'm just not that concerned with what other grown men wear...Professionalism is the competence or skill expected of a professional. By saying shorts are unprofessional you are literally saying shorts make someone incompetent of being a professional golfer or that the attire they wear is somehow intrinsically linked to their level of skill. Seems silly, especially as standards of professionalism are not static.

I cringed as I wrote that bolded line, because it's a bit overused. And in fairness, if my doctor wore a mesh tank and cut off jean shorts, I'd probably question his ability to give me a proper checkup lol.

However, if I saw a PGA Tour player wearing shorts, it would not affect my perception of his ability to actually play golf.

Just killin me???

I cringed as I wrote that bolded line, because it's a bit overused. And in fairness, if my doctor wore a mesh tank and cut off jean shorts, I'd probably question his ability to give me a proper checkup lol.

However, if I saw a PGA Tour player wearing shorts, it would not affect my perception of his ability to actually play golf.

Never know, maybe you've been seeing the wrong doctors...

M1 w/ Diamana Thump
GAPR w/ KBS Tour Proto
Srixon Z-765 w/ PX LZ
Vokey 46° 
Hi-Toe 52° & 58°

Never know, maybe you've been seeing the wrong doctors...

Thanks to this thread, gonna rock out to these doctors on my way home from work.

"I hope them cigarettes are gonna make you cough

Hope you hear this song and it pissed you off

I take that back, I hope you're doing fine

And if I had a dollar, I might give you ninety-nine"

Check out this article on the "hipster" look. Too funny. Some of these so-called "non-conformist" groups are the most conforming. LOL

https://www.bostonglobe.com/business/2019/03/11/hipsters-mostly-look-alike-there-math-prove/qjISEcE3G5hCUNB159hPtI/story.html#comments

Titleist TSR4 9.5, Oban Devotion 6, 05 flex 65g
TM M4 Tour 3W, Oban Devotion 7, 05 flex 75g
TM R15 TP #3 (19*), Fujikura Speeder 869 X
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 4-PW, KBS C-Taper X
Mizuno JPX 919 Forged GW, KBS C-Taper X
Vokey Wedges - SM8 56.12 & 60.08 S400
Newport 2.5

Silly issue IMO. I don't see how pants make the players any more or less professional than slightly shorter pants. Golf's ideal of "professionalism" is severely antiquated. This is the same group of guys that include dudes wearing moon shoes, leggings, collarless shirts, pouting like babies, taking 5 minutes to hit a single shot, throwing clubs, hacking up bunkers, purposely damaging greens, having fans removed for banter, etc etc

Do you all remember when caddies could NOT wear shorts? Changed your life and perception of golf when they started wearing shorts - right? Not. Would be the same thing if they allowed pros to wear shorts as well - it would be a non-issue after a few tournaments. How may caddies wear trousers now? Not many - would be the same with the pros once everyone got used to it.

And I'm an old fart - change is the only constant in life. Guaranteed - within 2 years pros will be wearing shorts for tournament rounds.

Rangefinders are next ….

Sax,

I agree with you most of the time but you’re not hearing me out. It’s a cultural appropriate thing.

The PGA Tour’s culture consists of a game played by professional gentlemen who represent a sport that is steeped in tradition. Now, putting the tradition aside, there is an element of professionalism that is directly linked to a golfer’s attire. Part of that attire is wearing long pants or knickers (haven’t been mentioned to my knowledge). It’s important to the sport they stay professional and properly dressed based on the sport’s culture. It would be like going to the philharmonic and seeing musicians dressed in street clothes. It makes a big difference to the fans that the performers are dressed appropriately.

Re: an office job your success is partly based upon other's perception of you

Clearly you don’t have an office job. I have worked in an office my entire life and my success has always been based solely and entirely on performance. The same goes for my staff. Yes, it’s true I do support casual Fridays at work but my team could care less. Most dress on Fridays the same as any other day of the week. They like the culture and they know dressing the part is directly linked to their status as the highest performing team in our entire company. Your choice of attire makes a difference. .

Re: Your appearance correlates to your success.

Not true. Our president often stops by the office in jeans or casual clothes. He travels a lot.

Will proper attire help with your success in golf? Yes.................Just look at the stats:

All professional major tournaments to date have been won by a man in long pants or knickers.

I sometimes wonder if all the pros wearing white pants for two, often three and sometimes all four tournament days is some sort of silent protest against them not being allowed to wear shorts. It’s the only explanation I can wrap my head around.

People thinking these grown men are looking professional in their white pants with large belt buckles, matched with lime green, orange or hot pink shirts covered with logos and topped off with baseball hats and sneakers is interesting to me. So that’s the look of a professionalism, but it would be totally unprofessional if you got to see the skin between their knees and ankles? Got it.

Still honestly don’t care if they are allowed to wear shorts or not, I’m just a bit surprised by some of the replies here.

I sometimes wonder if all the pros wearing white pants for two, often three and sometimes all four tournament days is some sort of silent protest against them not being allowed to wear shorts. It's the only explanation I can wrap my head around.

People thinking these grown men are looking professional in their white pants with large belt buckles, matched with lime green, orange or hot pink shirts covered with logos and topped off with baseball hats and sneakers is interesting to me. So that's the look of a professionalism, but it would be totally unprofessional if you got to see the skin between their knees and ankles? Got it.

Still honestly don't care if they are allowed to wear shorts or not, I'm just a bit surprised by some of the replies here.

It's for tradition! The sanctity of the game itself hinges on calves and ankles never being exposed during the four tournament rounds.

Is KPMG, The Hartford, Workday, etc., hitching their wagons to guys that look sloppy?

Rory started sucking bad when he wore the blade collars and the joggers. Coincidence. Not a chance.

No need for shorts anyway with today’s fabrics. Under armour makes some slacks that you can actually air blow through. And wearing them in rain never once felt water come through. It just pulls it away. And I play in South Carolina. Most humid place in August on earth that isn’t a protected rain forest.

I agree about the modern fabrics 100%. But I also don't mind shorts so I support giving them the choice. Heck I'd rather see shorts than those stupid joggers and skinny pants any day.