Will the college admissions scam hit the Tour PLAYERS?

13567

Comments

  • MtlJeffMtlJeff MontrealMembers Posts: 28,370 ✭✭

    tatertot wrote:



    This is # 103,675 on my list of give an EFs. how many of the countries royal families have used this type practice since the 1850s ?? Most or all ?




    Seriously? These kids took the place of a kid that actually deserved it and worked their whole life for it.



    And royalty also use to rape and kill people at will ... you going to condone that, too?




    I don’t condone either.



    But I am shocked that people are shocked at this. I thought it was common knowledge that 1/3 the legacy’s at any Ivy League school couldn’t walk and chew gum at the same time. They just have the correct family tree. You think palms don’t get greased to make sure that’s known ? Please. They don’t name every parking lot and laundromat on campus after a family for no reason.



    It’s an action that can never be fully stopped. What irks me is that hey caught mid grade celebrities. And not the real power playing families. It’s troubling only to me because it’s the gateway for a lot of these idiots to end up in high places. If they never got into a certain school you have to wonder if they’d ever get that Dog catchers nomination etc.




    I don't know if people are really shocked at anything other than someone spending 600k to get into USC.



    But I think it's good that this comes out. It's still wrong. Wrong things being exposed is fine with me
    Ping G400 Max 9 w/Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Epic Subzero 14* w/Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 20 w/Diamana D+ 95
    Callaway 2016 Apex Pro 4-PW w/S300
    Callaway MD Forged 52,56 w/S300
    Callaway MD 2.0 60 PM grind w/s300
    SGC Northwood Center Shaft 400g
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Masters! ClubWRX Posts: 17,711 ClubWRX

    Hawkeye77 wrote:


    Don't disagree about the NFL and NBA aspect for many. But, and I hadn't really reflected on this until right now, I was at the Iowa - Rutgers game a couple weeks ago (senior day) and the game was simply atrocious, but at halftime they had all of the athletes (who were there that day) come down into the arena and introduced every senior athlete in every men's and women's sport who had a GPA over 3.0 - I thought they would never stop streaming down the stairs leading down to the basketball floor, pretty impressive for me and my wife (an educator) to watch. So, I think for 90% of the student athletes out there, when you look at total participation numbers, the student part is still a big deal.



    I guess I put these rich folks buying off people in the same boat as those schools that buy (and parents that sell) athletes - so not really all that surprised it happened on the purely "student" side as well. I'm not outraged, just surprised I'm not all that surprised how stupid people who have all the so-called advantages can be.




    Question Hawk. How many of those athletes came from the men’s FB and BB program. And then out of those, how many were walk on athletes?




    Oooh, have to think about that! BB = small sample size, only one senior (walk on!) and he already has his degree and is in a master's program. FB - did not notice too many of the senior starters being announced for sure. Seem to remember watching my daughter at her Masters Degree commencement at (egads, Lincoln!) last spring but reading through some other literature there about some good things about Nebraska academics when it came to athletes. No doubt statistically FB in particular won't keep up with the other sports most places that have a huge emphasis on football and are successful nationally - but we do graduate them!



    I was thinking that the women would dominate, and statistically I'd say the women's sports - field hockey, softball had the best showings (but women's BB not available that day, men's and women's golf not available that day, track gone somewhere that day, etc.) and were overall bigger in numbers we saw, maybe 60-40 favoring the women, but we know they are generally smarter than we are anyway. ;-). Stats at Iowa show that number to be over 200 every year and represent about 1/3 of the total student athletes on campus.
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Masters! ClubWRX Posts: 17,711 ClubWRX
    Maximilian wrote:

    Hawkeye77 wrote:

    Oldboy wrote:

    Hawkeye77 wrote:


    So, to summarize, except for anti-Phil trolling this is really about rich folks and their kids generally scamming universities and getting caught.



    Yep, absolutely nothing to do with golf.




    PM used the guy that has been indicted by the FBI to help his own kids. It's not trolling when phil actually makes a statement about it .. yep absolutely has to do with golf




    His kids play golf? He used the guy in an illegal way? Posts about Phil have been supportive?



    Just an attention getting thread title and a chance to stir up the anti-Phil crowd. I guess I forgot that anything a golfer tweets is really about "golf".


    I’m not an “anti-Phil” guy, I’m really not. And he might be completely innocent here, I’ll give him the benefit of doubt. But regardless of what you or anyone here thinks of him or the Singer case, this could potentially end up being a pretty big deal for Phil. And yes I would say that anything regarding Phil is golf related in the greater scheme of things. Even Mossimo Giannulli, the GFore guy tangled up in this, is golf related.




    LOL, what doubt? He said he wasn't involved. Not saying you are anti-Phil, but come on, how is this a big deal if he is simply not involved unless you read doubt into the equation when there is nothing to suggest you should?
  • MaximilianMaximilian Members Posts: 1,377 ✭✭
    Hawkeye77 wrote:

    Maximilian wrote:

    Hawkeye77 wrote:

    Oldboy wrote:

    Hawkeye77 wrote:


    So, to summarize, except for anti-Phil trolling this is really about rich folks and their kids generally scamming universities and getting caught.



    Yep, absolutely nothing to do with golf.




    PM used the guy that has been indicted by the FBI to help his own kids. It's not trolling when phil actually makes a statement about it .. yep absolutely has to do with golf




    His kids play golf? He used the guy in an illegal way? Posts about Phil have been supportive?



    Just an attention getting thread title and a chance to stir up the anti-Phil crowd. I guess I forgot that anything a golfer tweets is really about "golf".


    I’m not an “anti-Phil” guy, I’m really not. And he might be completely innocent here, I’ll give him the benefit of doubt. But regardless of what you or anyone here thinks of him or the Singer case, this could potentially end up being a pretty big deal for Phil. And yes I would say that anything regarding Phil is golf related in the greater scheme of things. Even Mossimo Giannulli, the GFore guy tangled up in this, is golf related.




    LOL, what doubt? He said he wasn't involved. Not saying you are anti-Phil, but come on, how is this a big deal if he is simply not involved unless you read doubt into the equation when there is nothing to suggest you should?


    Is that how life and the justice system works? You say you’re innocent and everyone just accepts that? Whether it’s fair or not, after the insider trading thing, a lot people will spend a lot of time trying to get him busted.
  • Frankensteins MonsterFrankensteins Monster Members Posts: 6,680 ✭✭

    nohny noke wrote:


    Why are Phil and Amy so confused about the college admissions process?



    Shouldn't it be easier for the person with loads of money to choose where to send their kids to university? The Mickelsons can afford any college on the planet. There are no bad options for people like that.



    What bad luck for them that they just happened to choose the tutoring company named in the biggest ever collegiate admissions scandal.




    Because it’s a confusing process? Apply to half a dozen colleges, each with a different application process, requirements and cut-off dates and it’s a lot more work than you’d think.



    I used a service when I was applying to law schools. Help with LSAT prep, help with tailoring essays to specific schools, putting together and submitting app packages. It was a big help and took a lot of stress off of me. Worth every penny.




    It it not difficult to apply to colleges. If applying to undergrad colleges is difficult for a high school student, there’s something majorly wrong.
  • deadsolid...shankdeadsolid...shank ClubWRX Posts: 14,671 ClubWRX
    Hawkeye77 wrote:


    Hawkeye77 wrote:


    Don't disagree about the NFL and NBA aspect for many. But, and I hadn't really reflected on this until right now, I was at the Iowa - Rutgers game a couple weeks ago (senior day) and the game was simply atrocious, but at halftime they had all of the athletes (who were there that day) come down into the arena and introduced every senior athlete in every men's and women's sport who had a GPA over 3.0 - I thought they would never stop streaming down the stairs leading down to the basketball floor, pretty impressive for me and my wife (an educator) to watch. So, I think for 90% of the student athletes out there, when you look at total participation numbers, the student part is still a big deal.



    I guess I put these rich folks buying off people in the same boat as those schools that buy (and parents that sell) athletes - so not really all that surprised it happened on the purely "student" side as well. I'm not outraged, just surprised I'm not all that surprised how stupid people who have all the so-called advantages can be.




    Question Hawk. How many of those athletes came from the men’s FB and BB program. And then out of those, how many were walk on athletes?




    Oooh, have to think about that! BB = small sample size, only one senior (walk on!) and he already has his degree and is in a master's program. FB - did not notice too many of the senior starters being announced for sure. Seem to remember watching my daughter at her Masters Degree commencement at (egads, Lincoln!) last spring but reading through some other literature there about some good things about Nebraska academics when it came to athletes. No doubt statistically FB in particular won't keep up with the other sports most places that have a huge emphasis on football and are successful nationally - but we do graduate them!



    I was thinking that the women would dominate, and statistically I'd say the women's sports - field hockey, softball had the best showings (but women's BB not available that day, men's and women's golf not available that day, track gone somewhere that day, etc.) and were overall bigger in numbers we saw, maybe 60-40 favoring the women, but we know they are generally smarter than we are anyway. ;-). Stats at Iowa show that number to be over 200 every year and represent about 1/3 of the total student athletes on campus.




    I know the Nebraska volleyball program is our pride and joy. Year in and year out they have a tremendous GPA to help bolster the other programs, and are competitive too. Softball and gymnastics typically are big contributors also. I’ve know a lot of Nebraska players over the years, and have a pretty good idea how we lead in all time Academic all Americans! I’m sure they’re all the same.
    Titleist 910 8.5
    Titleist 910 15*
    Titleist 910H 17*
    2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
    SC GoLo
    Vokey SM5 52,58,62
  • JagpilotohioJagpilotohio 45+ inch drivers are evil. Columbus, OHMembers Posts: 7,223 ✭✭
    MtlJeff wrote:


    tatertot wrote:



    This is # 103,675 on my list of give an EFs. how many of the countries royal families have used this type practice since the 1850s ?? Most or all ?




    Seriously? These kids took the place of a kid that actually deserved it and worked their whole life for it.



    And royalty also use to rape and kill people at will ... you going to condone that, too?




    I don’t condone either.



    But I am shocked that people are shocked at this. I thought it was common knowledge that 1/3 the legacy’s at any Ivy League school couldn’t walk and chew gum at the same time. They just have the correct family tree. You think palms don’t get greased to make sure that’s known ? Please. They don’t name every parking lot and laundromat on campus after a family for no reason.



    It’s an action that can never be fully stopped. What irks me is that hey caught mid grade celebrities. And not the real power playing families. It’s troubling only to me because it’s the gateway for a lot of these idiots to end up in high places. If they never got into a certain school you have to wonder if they’d ever get that Dog catchers nomination etc.




    I don't know if people are really shocked at anything other than someone spending 600k to get into USC.



    But I think it's good that this comes out. It's still wrong. Wrong things being exposed is fine with me






    Bribery to get into USC!??? The University of Spoiled Children? WTF? Seriously?



    When I went to UCLA the joke was that ANYONE could get into USC as long as daddy could handle the tuition.



    Maybe 30 years later it’s actually difficult to get accepted in addition to having sky high tuition. Wow. Times change I guess.
    9.5* Cobra LTD, Old school Grafalloy Blue, 43.5"
    14* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X 42"
    16* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X, 41.5" (set to 17*)
    19* Titleist 816 H2 fuji 8.8X TS 40.0"
    4-7 2016 Hogan PTx, KBS Tour V, 120X.  
    Ping i210 8 & 9 Proto 125 F5 hardstepped 1x.
    Ping glide 2 46-12, 50-12, 54-14 (at 55) stealth, Vokey SM6 60M (61). Wedges Recoil Proto 125 F5
    33.5" Ghost spider slant neck.
    Srixon Z-star XV
    Jones Trouper Bag
  • Wildwing55Wildwing55 Members Posts: 288 ✭✭
    Interesting discussion.



    Well, let's see. Regardless of universities, Jack's kids aint got a few breaks either? Nothing but their talent?



    Think about it...
  • NokeNoke Members Posts: 2,115 ✭✭
    extrastiff wrote:

    nohny noke wrote:



    I want to know who at the university is collecting all that money? I assume that’s the person in a boatload of trouble.




    I don't think any university admissions people were named in the indictment.



    Collegiate coaches were, however.
    celebrities were purposefully "chosen" imo as scapegoats so we would all be distracted from the fact that universities promote/accept these practices, both illegally, as well as through legacy institutions.



    The scam has hit the tour, money creates opportunity for many college golfers. But I doubt this "scam" will spread... to many institutions will fight to contain it




    This is conjecture. Sources?
  • NokeNoke Members Posts: 2,115 ✭✭
    Hawkeye77 wrote:

    Maximilian wrote:

    Hawkeye77 wrote:

    Oldboy wrote:

    Hawkeye77 wrote:


    So, to summarize, except for anti-Phil trolling this is really about rich folks and their kids generally scamming universities and getting caught.



    Yep, absolutely nothing to do with golf.




    PM used the guy that has been indicted by the FBI to help his own kids. It's not trolling when phil actually makes a statement about it .. yep absolutely has to do with golf




    His kids play golf? He used the guy in an illegal way? Posts about Phil have been supportive?



    Just an attention getting thread title and a chance to stir up the anti-Phil crowd. I guess I forgot that anything a golfer tweets is really about "golf".


    I’m not an “anti-Phil” guy, I’m really not. And he might be completely innocent here, I’ll give him the benefit of doubt. But regardless of what you or anyone here thinks of him or the Singer case, this could potentially end up being a pretty big deal for Phil. And yes I would say that anything regarding Phil is golf related in the greater scheme of things. Even Mossimo Giannulli, the GFore guy tangled up in this, is golf related.




    LOL, what doubt? He said he wasn't involved. Not saying you are anti-Phil, but come on, how is this a big deal if he is simply not involved unless you read doubt into the equation when there is nothing to suggest you should?




    Phil has a history of ignoring rules and regulations he doesn’t like. That is enough for me to give him the stink eye treatment at this point. Call it trolling if you will.



    But I’d do the same to the person at Costco that takes up 3 parking spots in the middle of the lot with their Range Rover (or Prius)

    .
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Masters! ClubWRX Posts: 17,711 ClubWRX
    Konklifer wrote:




    Here are the names, you could have read them yesterday. https://www.justice.gov/usao-ma/investigations-college-admissions-and-testing-bribery-scheme



    Let me know which ones are the Tour players.
  • Aviador NavalAviador Naval equus mortuus non caedis Members Posts: 1,103 ✭✭
    edited Mar 14, 2019 7:48pm #73


    nohny noke wrote:


    Why are Phil and Amy so confused about the college admissions process?



    Shouldn't it be easier for the person with loads of money to choose where to send their kids to university? The Mickelsons can afford any college on the planet. There are no bad options for people like that.



    What bad luck for them that they just happened to choose the tutoring company named in the biggest ever collegiate admissions scandal.




    Because it’s a confusing process? Apply to half a dozen colleges, each with a different application process, requirements and cut-off dates and it’s a lot more work than you’d think.



    I used a service when I was applying to law schools. Help with LSAT prep, help with tailoring essays to specific schools, putting together and submitting app packages. It was a big help and took a lot of stress off of me. Worth every penny.




    It it not difficult to apply to colleges. If applying to undergrad colleges is difficult for a high school student, there’s something majorly wrong.




    I have four kids - last graduates from UVA In May. It can be trickier than you think. Some state schools use a ‘standard’ website with auxiliary tabs. Some use their own. Some have a general essay or two. Some specific to that school. I agree with your premise that a true college caliber student and properly engaged parents ought to be able to figure it out but it is a **** of a lot trickier than it was in 1984 when I applied. The only concerns then were print neatly or type and do I have enough white out...



    We did not use a service but I have some friends that did. The “consulting” was much more than test prep, navigating applications, etc. They interviewed the child as to interests, recommended schools that were particularly well regarded in that area, discussed strength of living areas, club sports, Greek life, etc., provided recommendations on activities and such to strengthen overall record, etc...



    All stuff on could figure out on their own given a good internet connection, time, and time to visit campuses. These services simply offer the ability to cull the herd quickly in exchange for a few bucks.



    Again, we did it the old fashioned way and shockingly, survived...
    917 D2 9.5
    Rotating pool of ineffective and unsatisfying options
    818 H1 19
    818 H1 23 or T-MB 4i
    718 CB/MB 5-P
    50-12, 54F, 58D
    Old Laguna 1.5
  • Ashley SchaefferAshley Schaeffer Members Posts: 2,014 ✭✭
    This whole thing has me questioning everything about my past. Did I gain admission to a lower tier NAIA school just because my dad bought the assistant golf coach two Coors Lights and a Slim Jim in the pro shop? I'll never know . . .
    8.5* TS3 - Evenflow White T-1100
    15* M2 2017
    18* M2 2017
    4-PW Mizuno JPX850F
    SM7 50*, 54*, 60*
    SC Newport Two
  • Man_O_WarMan_O_War Members Posts: 2,752 ✭✭
    why are people pretending they didn't know this existed? it's affirmative action for the rich and famous add legacy schemes and affirmative action is non existent in comparison.
    Cobra LTD PRO/LTD BLACK  Matrix F6M2/F7M3/Project X LZ 6.0 71g HC/ Fuji 661 III
    Cobra LTD 3/4 Kai'li 80
    Cobra LTD 4/5 Kai'li 80
    TM Mid_Rescue TP 22*
    Cobra Fly Z  Pro Irons Modus 120x SSx2 4-pw
    RTX 3.0 50, 54, 60 Modus 125
    Machine LN M6
  • NevinWNevinW Las VegasClubWRX Posts: 1,113 ClubWRX
    When will the obligatory "where there is smoke the is fire" comment show up?
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Masters! ClubWRX Posts: 17,711 ClubWRX
    NevinW wrote:


    When will the obligatory "where there is smoke the is fire" comment show up?




    Already has, several times from a few, lol.



    Anyway, mostly for the benefit of the OP and those chirpers, again, here is the list, published previously, it's all the smoke and all the fire and no Tour members I can find. Stupid thread.



    https://www.justice.gov/usao-ma/investigations-college-admissions-and-testing-bribery-scheme
  • agolf1agolf1 Members Posts: 799 ✭✭


    I’m stumped about one thing. Aunt Becky purportedly gave somebody $500,000 to get her kid into USC. Wouldn’t that be enough of a donation paid directly to USC to make it all work?


    I think the issue is that donations go to the school (endowment, division, etc). Bribes go to individual decision makers.
    Titleist 915 D4 10.5*, Diamana S+ Blue 60 S-Flex
    Callaway X Hot Pro 19* Fairway, Project X Velocity 6.0
    TaylorMade Raylor 22*, Raylor RE*AX S-Flex
    Ping G25 5-PW (25*-44*), UW (49*), SW (54*), CFS R-Flex
    Ping Zing 2 L/S (57*)
    Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Putter
  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day.... Members Posts: 25,890 ✭✭
    edited Mar 14, 2019 8:36pm #79
    extrastiff wrote:

    nohny noke wrote:



    I want to know who at the university is collecting all that money? I assume that’s the person in a boatload of trouble.




    I don't think any university admissions people were named in the indictment.



    Collegiate coaches were, however.
    celebrities were purposefully "chosen" imo as scapegoats so we would all be distracted from the fact that universities promote/accept these practices, both illegally, as well as through legacy institutions.



    The scam has hit the tour, money creates opportunity for many college golfers. But I doubt this "scam" will spread... to many institutions will fight to contain it




    Yes sir







    I thought about this while eating dinner.



    I’d bet anything someone important and their kid was involved and this is the give up to cover for them.



    As in we can’t out so and so. But we can give you all these people who have nothing on us or don’t donate enough to the general fund ..( the schools ).



    I always pay attention to these type things. The general public buys it as clean because on their eyes 90s sitcom stars are important people. In reality they aren’t at all. They just made enough money to get into the right circles and marry up and retire at 30.



    That and the fact that only idiots would use a stupid story like fake atheletics As the fence to make this happen. The big dogs Just make it happen minus cash exchanging hands. Favors of certain weight are worth more anyway and are much harder to prove. These amateurs paid by check id bet. Lol.
    TM Tour M6 11.2 * KK Tini XTS 70X
    TM Tour 17 M1 14.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    TM Tour M5 19.8 * Aldila Synergy Blue 70TX  
    Titleist Tour Proto MB 3-pw Modus 130X
    Ping Glide Forged   54 60 S400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 tungsten sole weights, sound slot
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Masters! ClubWRX Posts: 17,711 ClubWRX
    edited Mar 14, 2019 8:39pm #80
    Hawkeye77 wrote:

    NevinW wrote:


    When will the obligatory "where there is smoke the is fire" comment show up?




    Already has, several times from a few, lol.



    Anyway, mostly for the benefit of the OP and those chirpers, again, here is the list, published previously, it's all the smoke and all the fire and no Tour members I can find. Stupid thread.



    https://www.justice....-bribery-scheme




    Come on guys, check out the list. A couple celebs were arrested because they were among those involved. The rest of the names I'll bet any person off the street never heard of, let alone the two "celebs". Singer already flipped on everybody and ratted out his clients who were involved, they aren't selectively arresting folks, they've got what they've got.
  • tideridertiderider Members Posts: 1,640 ✭✭
    edited Mar 14, 2019 8:44pm #81
    the wealthy have been leveraging their wealth for the better part of 10000 years ...



    i am curious, however, why parents would bribe someone to get their daughter a spot at a school she has zero intention of graduating from ... maybe her enrollment at usc is a pr thing for her youtube status ... don't know ...



    and phil's statement is a run-on sentence ... that bothers me a bit ... probably more than a bit ...
  • agolf1agolf1 Members Posts: 799 ✭✭

    extrastiff wrote:

    nohny noke wrote:



    I want to know who at the university is collecting all that money? I assume that's the person in a boatload of trouble.




    I don't think any university admissions people were named in the indictment.



    Collegiate coaches were, however.
    celebrities were purposefully "chosen" imo as scapegoats so we would all be distracted from the fact that universities promote/accept these practices, both illegally, as well as through legacy institutions.



    The scam has hit the tour, money creates opportunity for many college golfers. But I doubt this "scam" will spread... to many institutions will fight to contain it




    Yes sir







    I thought about this while eating dinner.



    I'd bet anything someone important and their kid was involved and this is the give up to cover for them.



    As in we can't out so and so. But we can give you all these people who have nothing on us or don't donate enough to the general fund ..( the schools ).



    I always pay attention to these type things. The general public buys it as clean because on their eyes 90s sitcom stars are important people. In reality they aren't at all. They just made enough money to get into the right circles and marry up and retire at 30.



    That and the fact that only idiots would use a stupid story like fake atheletics As the fence to make this happen. The big dogs Just make it happen minus cash exchanging hands. Favors of certain weight are worth more anyway and are much harder to prove. These amateurs paid by check id bet. Lol.


    I would mostly agree with this. The thing I would add is people like Phil (wealth and current status) don't make payments through an agent. Or, at least they don't make payments through an agent that other random people use. Aunt Becky probably isn't starving for food or living in the ghetto, but she's a nobody in the grand scheme of things.



    And I'm not implying Phil is guilty. I have no idea.
    Titleist 915 D4 10.5*, Diamana S+ Blue 60 S-Flex
    Callaway X Hot Pro 19* Fairway, Project X Velocity 6.0
    TaylorMade Raylor 22*, Raylor RE*AX S-Flex
    Ping G25 5-PW (25*-44*), UW (49*), SW (54*), CFS R-Flex
    Ping Zing 2 L/S (57*)
    Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Putter
  • MtlJeffMtlJeff MontrealMembers Posts: 28,370 ✭✭


    This whole thing has me questioning everything about my past. Did I gain admission to a lower tier NAIA school just because my dad bought the assistant golf coach two Coors Lights and a Slim Jim in the pro shop? I'll never know . . .




    Crap, lightbulb just went off in my head too....I attended the second most prestigious Montreal university (out of 2). PLUS I was given a bogus athletic position (kicker on football team).



    The pieces are starting to come together
    Ping G400 Max 9 w/Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Epic Subzero 14* w/Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 20 w/Diamana D+ 95
    Callaway 2016 Apex Pro 4-PW w/S300
    Callaway MD Forged 52,56 w/S300
    Callaway MD 2.0 60 PM grind w/s300
    SGC Northwood Center Shaft 400g
  • agolf1agolf1 Members Posts: 799 ✭✭



    nohny noke wrote:


    Why are Phil and Amy so confused about the college admissions process?



    Shouldn't it be easier for the person with loads of money to choose where to send their kids to university? The Mickelsons can afford any college on the planet. There are no bad options for people like that.



    What bad luck for them that they just happened to choose the tutoring company named in the biggest ever collegiate admissions scandal.




    Because it's a confusing process? Apply to half a dozen colleges, each with a different application process, requirements and cut-off dates and it's a lot more work than you'd think.



    I used a service when I was applying to law schools. Help with LSAT prep, help with tailoring essays to specific schools, putting together and submitting app packages. It was a big help and took a lot of stress off of me. Worth every penny.




    It it not difficult to apply to colleges. If applying to undergrad colleges is difficult for a high school student, there's something majorly wrong.




    I have four kids - last graduates from UVA In May. It can be trickier than you think. Some state schools use a 'standard' website with auxiliary tabs. Some use their own. Some have a general essay or two. Some specific to that school. I agree with your premise that a true college caliber student and properly engaged parents ought to be able to figure it out but it is a **** of a lot trickier than it was in 1984 when I applied. The only concerns then were print neatly or type and do I have enough white out...



    We did not use a service but I have some friends that did. The "consulting" was much more than test prep, navigating applications, etc. They interviewed the child as to interests, recommended schools that were particularly well regarded in that area, discussed strength of living areas, club sports, Greek life, etc., provided recommendations on activities and such to strengthen overall record, etc...



    All stuff on could figure out on their own given a good internet connection, time, and time to visit campuses. These services simply offer the ability to cull the herd quickly in exchange for a few bucks.



    Again, we did it the old fashioned way and shockingly, survived...


    These applications are all just administrative paper work. Whether it's one application or 10 applications, the process should be able to be completed by any HS graduate.



    Can some firm help make it easier? Sure, but if you plan to get any entry level job after graduating from college then the application process shouldn't be considered difficult (please don't tell me keeping track of numerous deadlines is too hard).



    But some people need assistance filing a basic 1040, so I guess it's all relative, and I can see how the process stresses some people out.
    Titleist 915 D4 10.5*, Diamana S+ Blue 60 S-Flex
    Callaway X Hot Pro 19* Fairway, Project X Velocity 6.0
    TaylorMade Raylor 22*, Raylor RE*AX S-Flex
    Ping G25 5-PW (25*-44*), UW (49*), SW (54*), CFS R-Flex
    Ping Zing 2 L/S (57*)
    Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Putter
  • NokeNoke Members Posts: 2,115 ✭✭
    Hawkeye77 wrote:

    Hawkeye77 wrote:

    NevinW wrote:


    When will the obligatory "where there is smoke the is fire" comment show up?




    Already has, several times from a few, lol.



    Anyway, mostly for the benefit of the OP and those chirpers, again, here is the list, published previously, it's all the smoke and all the fire and no Tour members I can find. Stupid thread.



    https://www.justice....-bribery-scheme




    Come on guys, check out the list. A couple celebs were arrested because they were among those involved. The rest of the names I'll bet any person off the street never heard of, let alone the two "celebs". Singer already flipped on everybody and ratted out his clients who were involved, they aren't selectively arresting folks, they've got what they've got.




    Don't you see, man? That's what the elites want you to think! It's all corrupt! They don't want you to know the truth!



    Good thing those in charge of the executive aren't rich/elite. They are truly of the people, and I know they can be trusted!



    lolololololololololololololololololol
  • BlackDiamondPar5BlackDiamondPar5 Members Posts: 5,210 ✭✭
    agolf1 wrote:



    I’m stumped about one thing. Aunt Becky purportedly gave somebody $500,000 to get her kid into USC. Wouldn’t that be enough of a donation paid directly to USC to make it all work?


    I think the issue is that donations go to the school (endowment, division, etc). Bribes go to individual decision makers.


    Yes it's okay to bribe the institution but not the individuals.
  • NPVWhizNPVWhiz Members Posts: 1,976 ✭✭
    edited Mar 14, 2019 9:00pm #87
    If a buddy of mine had texted me and said you’ll never guess who is crossed up with this college admissions scandal, I know exactly who I would have put my two bucks on. There is only one person that manages to find himself in the center of scandal with such astonishing regularity. I wonder if they really have all the indictments they want or if this is just the opening round of the most recent offenders. This thing has been going on for many years. I’m betting that there are more indictments to come as people talk and deal. I wonder where the path will lead.
    Taylormade r11s 9 Penley Stealth 70x 44.5" D-3
    > Taylormade 16 M1 8.5 GD AD TP6x 44.0" D3 PX Hzrdus Black 75 6.0 44.5" D-3
    Nickent 3DX Pro 14 MRC Diamana WB 83s
    Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro 18 Grafalloy CNote ProtoX
    Mizuno MP62 DG x-100 Sensicore D-4 3-pw
    > Ping i200 DG120 S3 D-3 +1/4" Red 4-U.
    Vokey SM6 56-14/60-04M DG x-100 Sensicore 1xss D-5
    > Vokey SM6 56/10 60/4M DG 120 S300 35" D-5
    Scotty Golo
  • BlackDiamondPar5BlackDiamondPar5 Members Posts: 5,210 ✭✭



    nohny noke wrote:


    Why are Phil and Amy so confused about the college admissions process?



    Shouldn't it be easier for the person with loads of money to choose where to send their kids to university? The Mickelsons can afford any college on the planet. There are no bad options for people like that.



    What bad luck for them that they just happened to choose the tutoring company named in the biggest ever collegiate admissions scandal.




    Because it's a confusing process? Apply to half a dozen colleges, each with a different application process, requirements and cut-off dates and it's a lot more work than you'd think.



    I used a service when I was applying to law schools. Help with LSAT prep, help with tailoring essays to specific schools, putting together and submitting app packages. It was a big help and took a lot of stress off of me. Worth every penny.




    It it not difficult to apply to colleges. If applying to undergrad colleges is difficult for a high school student, there's something majorly wrong.




    I have four kids - last graduates from UVA In May. It can be trickier than you think. Some state schools use a 'standard' website with auxiliary tabs. Some use their own. Some have a general essay or two. Some specific to that school. I agree with your premise that a true college caliber student and properly engaged parents ought to be able to figure it out but it is a **** of a lot trickier than it was in 1984 when I applied. The only concerns then were print neatly or type and do I have enough white out...



    We did not use a service but I have some friends that did. The "consulting" was much more than test prep, navigating applications, etc. They interviewed the child as to interests, recommended schools that were particularly well regarded in that area, discussed strength of living areas, club sports, Greek life, etc., provided recommendations on activities and such to strengthen overall record, etc...



    All stuff on could figure out on their own given a good internet connection, time, and time to visit campuses. These services simply offer the ability to cull the herd quickly in exchange for a few bucks.



    Again, we did it the old fashioned way and shockingly, survived...


    Agreed and the process gets more complicated and vital to getting it right as you get into more competitive programs, especially at the graduate level. A pro can really help avoid mistakes and help you stand out. They know what schools are looking for in the application and interview process.
  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day.... Members Posts: 25,890 ✭✭
    Hawkeye77 wrote:

    Hawkeye77 wrote:

    NevinW wrote:


    When will the obligatory "where there is smoke the is fire" comment show up?




    Already has, several times from a few, lol.



    Anyway, mostly for the benefit of the OP and those chirpers, again, here is the list, published previously, it's all the smoke and all the fire and no Tour members I can find. Stupid thread.



    [url="https://www.justice.gov/usao-ma/investigations-college-admissions-and-testing-bribery-scheme"]https://www.justice....-bribery-scheme[/url]




    Come on guys, check out the list. A couple celebs were arrested because they were among those involved. The rest of the names I'll bet any person off the street never heard of, let alone the two "celebs". Singer already flipped on everybody and ratted out his clients who were involved, they aren't selectively arresting folks, they've got what they've got.




    Yea. But I’ve been closer to some of this that I care to say . You’d be super shocked at how often things are sealed to protect people from the public. I once read a discovery document from the federal prosecutor handling the case that had more redactions than print. Looked like a wwII letter home that mentioned battle plans , location and time and day. Lol ( for the uninitiated, the armed forces read all mail and would cut out parts that weren’t allowed and send the letter on with holes in it. ).



    Most federal cases never come close to trial. They are settled because the feds don’t bring an indictment unless its almost indefensible to begin with. And they certainly pick and choose who is worth their time and who they don’t want to risk going to trial with. It’s not like tv where they shotgun spray everyone with indictments and see what sticks. The state level is.



    So in my humble and non law school graduate opinion that list doesn’t mean much. That’s just the list that they are ok with people knowing about. Think of it like a crafted press release. It could also be the whole list . The one thing I’m sure of is , that we the public will never know. I have seen enough to know that. If they get something sealed. It is .
    TM Tour M6 11.2 * KK Tini XTS 70X
    TM Tour 17 M1 14.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    TM Tour M5 19.8 * Aldila Synergy Blue 70TX  
    Titleist Tour Proto MB 3-pw Modus 130X
    Ping Glide Forged   54 60 S400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 tungsten sole weights, sound slot
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Masters! ClubWRX Posts: 17,711 ClubWRX
    tiderider wrote:


    the wealthy have been leveraging their wealth for the better part of 10000 years ...



    i am curious, however, why parents would bribe someone to get their daughter a spot at a school she has zero intention of graduating from ... maybe her enrollment at usc is a pr thing for her youtube status ... don't know ...



    and phil's statement is a run-on sentence ... that bothers me a bit ... probably more than a bit ...




    LOL, because it suggests you two may be related?



    Sorry, but after reading that post I just had to chuckle and couldn't resist!
  • BlackDiamondPar5BlackDiamondPar5 Members Posts: 5,210 ✭✭
    I honestly still don't get why this is such a big deal and warrants Feds coming in like jackbooted thugs with guns drawn.
Sign In or Register to comment.