Will the college admissions scam hit the Tour PLAYERS?

Konklifer

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I’m stumped about one thing. Aunt Becky purportedly gave somebody $500,000 to get her kid into USC. Wouldn’t that be enough of a donation paid directly to USC to make it all work?

I think the issue is that donations go to the school (endowment, division, etc). Bribes go to individual decision makers.

Yes it's okay to bribe the institution but not the individuals.

But $500k is nothing for the institution.

This whole thing has me questioning everything about my past. Did I gain admission to a lower tier NAIA school just because my dad bought the assistant golf coach two Coors Lights and a Slim Jim in the pro shop? I'll never know . . .

Crap, lightbulb just went off in my head too....I attended the second most prestigious Montreal university (out of 2). PLUS I was given a bogus athletic position (kicker on football team).

The pieces are starting to come together

American football or soccer ?

Did that include meals outside the dining hall ?

Any “tutors “ sent up to your room ?

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

When will the obligatory "where there is smoke the is fire" comment show up?

Already has, several times from a few, lol.

Anyway, mostly for the benefit of the OP and those chirpers, again, here is the list, published previously, it's all the smoke and all the fire and no Tour members I can find. Stupid thread.

https://www.justice....-bribery-scheme

Come on guys, check out the list. A couple celebs were arrested because they were among those involved. The rest of the names I'll bet any person off the street never heard of, let alone the two "celebs". Singer already flipped on everybody and ratted out his clients who were involved, they aren't selectively arresting folks, they've got what they've got.

Yea. But I've been closer to some of this that I care to say . You'd be super shocked at how often things are sealed to protect people from the public. I once read a discovery document from the federal prosecutor handling the case that had more redactions than print. Looked like a wwII letter home that mentioned battle plans , location and time and day. Lol ( for the uninitiated, the armed forces read all mail and would cut out parts that weren't allowed and send the letter on with holes in it. ).

Most federal cases never come close to trial. They are settled because the feds don't bring an indictment unless its almost indefensible to begin with. And they certainly pick and choose who is worth their time and who they don't want to risk going to trial with. It's not like tv where they shotgun spray everyone with indictments and see what sticks. The state level is.

So in my humble and non law school graduate opinion that list doesn't mean much. That's just the list that they are ok with people knowing about. Think of it like a crafted press release. It could also be the whole list . The one thing I'm sure of is , that we the public will never know. I have seen enough to know that. If they get something sealed. It is .

Maybe, there may be some individuals for whom the evidence just wasn't there who were suspected, the rest I just couldn't say. But my point is, that's it as far as this story goes, so those people (not you) trying to inject someone like Phil, or frankly anyone else, into the narrative is simply unfair. Maybe there are a few more someone's, but no point tossing people under any bus with nothing to go on. Of course, that approach would destroy Tour Talk . . . . . so there's that, lol.

Agreed and the process gets more complicated and vital to getting it right as you get into more competitive programs, especially at the graduate level. A pro can really help avoid mistakes and help you stand out. They know what schools are looking for in the application and interview process.

What you say is true. But again, anyone applying to the more competitive programs should be able to do it on their own. Of course, you don't send the same essay except for Control C, Cut, Control P to MIT as you do to Harvard. If someone needs to tell you that, you should be applying somewhere else.

These are the same people that will apply to Amazon, Apple, Google, Goldman Sachs, etc in 4 years. They should be able to do it. I.e. if you want help fine. But don't complain it's too hard or complicated.

So, to summarize, except for anti-Phil trolling this is really about rich folks and their kids generally scamming universities and getting caught.

Yep, absolutely nothing to do with golf.

Every golf website I’ve visited in the last hour has an article about a certain player’s connection and denial. I’m going to make an educated guess that there might be a bit of developing interest in this story. Phil has come closer to spending time in federal prison than any other tour player I can think of but one. But it’s nobody’s fault but his if he happens to be the one that comes to mind in this sort of scenario. Innocent until proven guilty, but you can be presumed innocent and a suspect at the same time. It’s usually suspicious facts and circumstances that result in....suspicion. And let’s face it, journalists and media types are paid to explore and investigate things that seem suspect.

Anyway, mostly for the benefit of the OP and those chirpers, again, here is the list, published previously, it's all the smoke and all the fire and no Tour members I can find. Stupid thread.

Come on guys, check out the list. A couple celebs were arrested because they were among those involved. The rest of the names I'll bet any person off the street never heard of, let alone the two "celebs". Singer already flipped on everybody and ratted out his clients who were involved, they aren't selectively arresting folks, they've got what they've got.

Yea. But I've been closer to some of this that I care to say . You'd be super shocked at how often things are sealed to protect people from the public. I once read a discovery document from the federal prosecutor handling the case that had more redactions than print. Looked like a wwII letter home that mentioned battle plans , location and time and day. Lol ( for the uninitiated, the armed forces read all mail and would cut out parts that weren't allowed and send the letter on with holes in it. ).

Most federal cases never come close to trial. They are settled because the feds don't bring an indictment unless its almost indefensible to begin with. And they certainly pick and choose who is worth their time and who they don't want to risk going to trial with. It's not like tv where they shotgun spray everyone with indictments and see what sticks. The state level is.

So in my humble and non law school graduate opinion that list doesn't mean much. That's just the list that they are ok with people knowing about. Think of it like a crafted press release. It could also be the whole list . The one thing I'm sure of is , that we the public will never know. I have seen enough to know that. If they get something sealed. It is .

Maybe, there may be some individuals for whom the evidence just wasn't there who were suspected, the rest I just couldn't say. But my point is, that's it as far as this story goes, so those people (not you) trying to inject someone like Phil, or frankly anyone else, into the narrative is simply unfair. Maybe there are a few more someone's, but no point tossing people under any bus with nothing to go on. Of course, that approach would destroy Tour Talk . . . . . so there's that, lol.

Phil injected himself into the discussion by revealing his relationship. The denial is then fair game I would think for a man of Phil’s history. And he does have history with federal investigators.

Oh I agree there.

The one thing that tells me Phil is actually innocent here. That he said this so soon in his own through social media. If he had a hand in he’d have been talking through his attorney no Doubt .... he’s clean

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Agreed and the process gets more complicated and vital to getting it right as you get into more competitive programs, especially at the graduate level. A pro can really help avoid mistakes and help you stand out. They know what schools are looking for in the application and interview process.

What you say is true. But again, anyone applying to the more competitive programs should be able to do it on their own. Of course, you don't send the same essay except for Control C, Cut, Control P to MIT as you do to Harvard. If someone needs to tell you that, you should be applying somewhere else.

These are the same people that will apply to Amazon, Apple, Google, Goldman Sachs, etc in 4 years. They should be able to do it. I.e. if you want help fine. But don't complain it's too hard or complicated.

Yes and there is a proper way to apply to a job at each company. Having the right resume, cover letter and presenting yourself in an interview varies by organization. Seeking advice from a professional as well as leveraging internal contacts greatly increases your odds. Same with competitive college programs.

This whole thing has me questioning everything about my past. Did I gain admission to a lower tier NAIA school just because my dad bought the assistant golf coach two Coors Lights and a Slim Jim in the pro shop? I'll never know . . .

Crap, lightbulb just went off in my head too....I attended the second most prestigious Montreal university (out of 2). PLUS I was given a bogus athletic position (kicker on football team).

McGill has football?

Yes and there is a proper way to apply to a job at each company. Having the right resume, cover letter and presenting yourself in an interview varies by organization. Seeking advice from a professional as well as leveraging internal contacts greatly increases your odds. Same with competitive college programs.

Resume, cover letter, and preparing for an interview is all basic admin work just like everything in the admissions process (good schools have interviews too).

No doubt leveraging internal contacts helps to get a job. But if that's the main function of these college advisement firms then it is just a bribe or buddy system (and I don't really care if it is or isn't). But then they not really doing the things you say are needed (application, essay, etc). It's just connectding your name to the right people in exchange for money.

McGill has football?

I didn't go to McGill, but let's just say I was on the crew team there (wink)

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

McGill has football?

Yup they were just never any good...

I honestly still don't get why this is such a big deal and warrants Feds coming in like jackbooted thugs with guns drawn.

Well, theres bribing people with $MM to break the law.

So....

Yeah their regular John Dillingers and Feds should definitely be breaking down doors with guns drawn... Give me a break!

I honestly still don't get why this is such a big deal and warrants Feds coming in like jackbooted thugs with guns drawn.

So....

Based on his other comments, my guess is he's a "platinum member" of these service providers. He's not just finding out that certain things are against the law.

Resume, cover letter, and preparing for an interview is all basic admin work just like everything in the admissions process (good schools have interviews too).

No doubt leveraging internal contacts helps to get a job. But if that's the main function of these college advisement firms then it is just a bribe or buddy system (and I don't really care if it is or isn't). But then they not really doing the things you say are needed (application, essay, etc). It's just connectding your name to the right people in exchange for money.

So....

Yeah their regular John Dillingers and Feds should definitely be breaking down doors with guns drawn... Give me a break!

BDP!

Was Dillinger the guy who broke out of jail with a "gun" he carved out of soap and blackened with shoe polish? Lol.

Yeah, I agree the tactics are over done. Prolly to give no warning and prevent destruction of evidence. But also to send a message to other potential hoodlums.

So....

You're totally right. Rich people should be able to buy whatever they want.

THIS IS AMERICA!

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

I just find it interesting that Phil put this tweet out to apparently 'get ahead of it'. If as he says 'obviously' not involved then why put yourself on the radar.

Because people like the OP can’t wait to start the rumor mills - might as well put it to bed before jackwagons go too far - notice it was barely a mention on GC, if he hadn’t said anything they’d have talked about over and over when the dummies started going after Phil on social media. You’ve seen what happens when they find out you actually paid some poor caddie more than he had coming!

I just find it interesting that Phil put this tweet out to apparently 'get ahead of it'. If as he says 'obviously' not involved then why put yourself on the radar.

It's been posted here that he actually had a testimonial on their site. So it would have been reported eventually that he was a client, and that would have led to speculation etc...And he probably would have had to comment eventually

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

It's been posted here that he actually had a testimonial on their site. So it would have been reported eventually that he was a client, and that would have led to speculation etc...And he probably would have had to comment eventually

Oh thanks. I did not know that part of the story.

Even so. I'm surprised he handled it that way. Classic 'thou dost protest too much' deal.

So....

Based on his other comments, my guess is he's a "platinum member" of these service providers. He's not just finding out that certain things are against the law.

It's clear from your previous posts that you may be lacking in knowledge and experience on a variety of topics. Plus a little free advice for you, as a relative wrx newb, you ought to talk nicely to your fellow WRXers or your tenure here maybe limited.

So....

It's clear from your previous posts that you may be lacking in knowledge and experience on a variety of topics. Plus a little free advice for you, as a relative wrx newb, you ought to talk nicely to your fellow WRXers or your tenure here maybe limited.

Why don't you tell me everything I need to know. Or, go hire an advisor to help you.

Actually, you've just shown why the value of a degree has declined in value or relevance over time. The grads applying to the most competitive (read "best" - you can congratulate yourself or your kids) can't even do a basic task their own.

Spending resources to improve odds of success is fine if you aren't capable. Just know what it is.