2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

March Madness - 2019 NCAA Basketball Tournament Discussion

Mych

I'm an ACC guy (Virginia grad) stuck in Texas, so hopefully there are some folks here who love the tourney as much as I do (other than the UVA vs. UMBC game last year).

Also if anyone has bracket pools, wants to exchange wagering advice, or just wants to let everyone know when a barnburner is in progress that would be great too.

"Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
WITB: PXG 0311 ~ Ping Anser 4w @16.5 ~ Cobra F6 Baffler @18.5 ~ Titleist T300 4-P ~ Titleist Vokey 48, 54, 58 ~ Cleveland HB 8

I'm an ACC guy (Virginia grad) stuck in Texas, so hopefully there are some folks here who love the tourney as much as I do (other than the UVA vs. UMBC game last year).

Also if anyone has bracket pools, wants to exchange wagering advice, or just wants to let everyone know when a barnburner is in progress that would be great too.

LetsGoDuke!

LetsGoDuke!

I grew up a Duke fan (relative played there and was one of Coach K's asst's). I still have a soft spot for the Dukies and a burning hatred of the Tarheels, lol. Some things will never die.

WITB: PXG 0311 ~ Ping Anser 4w @16.5 ~ Cobra F6 Baffler @18.5 ~ Titleist T300 4-P ~ Titleist Vokey 48, 54, 58 ~ Cleveland HB 8

LetsGoDuke!

I grew up a Duke fan (relative played there and was one of Coach K's asst's). I still have a soft spot for the Dukies and a burning hatred of the Tarheels, lol. Some things will never die.

Who?? I became a Dukie back in the early 90's. My pops coached HS ball when I was younger. Long story short, one Christmas we took a trip to Raleigh for a Christmas tournament. On an off day, we visited Wake, UNC, and Duke. Had the pleasure of meeting Bobby Hurley, Grant Hill and then assistant Mike Brey. I was probably 13 years old or so. Been a die hard ever since.

Grew up a UCLA fan (as you can't already tell). What a tough past couple years it's been watching basketball. Hope we hire a good coach that will take all this pain away. Mych, there's a lot of rumors that we are trying to go after Tony Bennett as our next coach. What are your thoughts on him? I personally do not want him as our next coach, and I will be pretty bummed if we hire him.

LetsGoDuke!

Who?? I became a Dukie back in the early 90's. My pops coached HS ball when I was younger. Long story short, one Christmas we took a trip to Raleigh for a Christmas tournament. On an off day, we visited Wake, UNC, and Duke. Had the pleasure of meeting Bobby Hurley, Grant Hill and then assistant Mike Brey. I was probably 13 years old or so. Been a die hard ever since.

Tommy Amaker... Funny that you mention those names. My sister just found my autograph book from when he was still there and I was still getting free tickets. One page has Grant Hill, coach K, and Cherokee parks. I had Duke dreams, but my family was on an in-state budget so UVA it was. My mom, dad, and sister went to VT so always fun times at home.

Grew up a UCLA fan (as you can't already tell). What a tough past couple years it's been watching basketball. Hope we hire a good coach that will take all this pain away. Mych, there's a lot of rumors that we are trying to go after Tony Bennett as our next coach. What are your thoughts on him? I personally do not want him as our next coach, and I will be pretty bummed if we hire him.

I hope you guys don't find a way to get him. He's a culture-changer. I don't think he's the type to compete for 5 star recruits because he won't play a kid until they've bought into the defense and effort that he expects. He's a great fit for a team who isn't the pace-setter of their league. The style of play leaves them vulnerable to any hot shooting team, and there is a valid critique that his style hasn't proven to be successful in the postseason, but for a school like Virginia we've been so happy to be competitive with Duke or UNC that he hasn't been subject to the expectations of a perrenial top 10 coach.

I hope you guys don't find a way to get him. He's a culture-changer. I don't think he's the type to compete for 5 star recruits because he won't play a kid until they've bought into the defense and effort that he expects. He's a great fit for a team who isn't the pace-setter of their league. The style of play leaves them vulnerable to any hot shooting team, and there is a valid critique that his style hasn't proven to be successful in the postseason, but for a school like Virginia we've been so happy to be competitive with Duke or UNC that he hasn't been subject to the expectations of a perrenial top 10 coach.

I tell all my UCLA friends that the time is now to hire a proven coach with a proven resume. A LOT of my friends want Bennett, but I tell them if you want a coach that will get you a Pac-12 title every year, but lay an egg in the tournament, then sure, hire him. But if you want a guy that is going to have you compete for titles year in and year out, hire Jay Wright or Billy Donovan. Don't know how plausible it is to hire a name like that, but c'mon...we are UCLA...give them a blank check and let them choose their own salary. We have billionaire donors for crying out loud. I also wouldn't mind Gregg Marshall, since he has a Final Four on his resume, and he always seems to do more with less, but other than that, I don't see anyone else. Maybe Pitino, but I don't want him due to his mischievous background. UCLA is not a school for coaching experiments. Leave that to schools like Drexel, Albany, Northern Iowa, and the like (no offense to anyone that reads this and are from those schools lol). But this is UCLA. No more hiring coaches from mid-major schools. No more coaching experiments.

Anyways, it will be interesting to see how Bennett does in this year's tournament. Hopefully it won't end up like last year...as a college sports fan, as fun as it was to watch the upset, it was also painful to watch. I know what it means to get upset by a team nobody has ever heard of. Good luck in this year's Big Dance! I will be putting you guys far in my bracket! :-)

Tony Bennett is a terrific coach, but I don't think his style fits UCLA. They play tough defense and a very deliberate offense, not a flashy, run-and-gun type offense that would excite the fans in LA. UNC always has a tough time playing UVa because the Tar Heels like to run, but it's tough to do against the Cavs.

I think for Duke, Zion and JR are weak free throw shooters. I think it’s going to cost them a game.

You mean like the 2008 championship game with Memphis/Kansas? Love to see Calipari squirm during that game.

Sorry, I don’t remember the particulars of the game. I did look up the box score and see Memphis shot about 63% from the line compared to Kansas’s 90+%.

Would anyone want to get a Golfwrx bracket challenge going? I remember we did one last year.

Taylormade M2 10.5° [color=#0000ff]Graphite Design AD-BB 7x[/color]
Titleist 913 FD 15° [color=#a9a9a9]Diamana 'Ahina 70x[/color]
Titleist 716 AP2 3 iron [color=#a9a9a9]Accra 110i[/color]
Titleist 716 MB 4-PW [color=#0000ff]Project X 6.0[/color]
Vokey [color=#000000]Jet Black [/color]SM7 52° 56° 60° [color=#000000]S400 Tour Issue Black Onyx[/color]
Scotty Cameron Newport [color=#daa520]Teryllium[/color] Sole Stamp

I think for Duke, Zion and JR are weak free throw shooters. I think it’s going to cost them a game.

You mean like the 2008 championship game with Memphis/Kansas? Love to see Calipari squirm during that game.

Sorry, I don’t remember the particulars of the game. I did look up the box score and see Memphis shot about 63% from the line compared to Kansas’s 90+%.

Kansas strategically fouled Memphis—an extremely poor free throw shooting team all season—which missed four of its final five free throws in regulation (Derrick Rose/Chris Douglas-Roberts) while Kansas furiously scored 12 points in the final two minutes of regulation. During that stretch Kansas made 100% of their shots going 2 for 2 from two-point range, 2 for 2 from three-point range and 2 for 2 from the free throw line. When Memphis failed to foul, which arguably would have all but assured a victory for the Tigers, Kansas guard Mario Chalmers hit a three-point basket with 2.1 seconds remaining to tie the game at 63, sending the game into overtime. In overtime, Kansas scored the first six points en route to a 75–68 win.

Kansas strategically fouled Memphis—an extremely poor free throw shooting team all season—which missed four of its final five free throws in regulation while Kansas furiously scored 12 points in the final two minutes of regulation. During that stretch Kansas made 100% of their shots going 2 for 2 from two-point range, 2 for 2 from three-point range and 2 for 2 from the free throw line. When Memphis failed to foul, which arguably would have all but assured a victory for the Tigers, Kansas guard Mario Chalmers hit a three-point basket with 2.1 seconds remaining to tie the game at 63, sending the game into overtime. In overtime, Kansas scored the first six points en route to a 75–68 win.

Thank you sir, I could see a similar outcome for Duke. Jones is the only regular who is good at the line (Reddish seems to have disappeared lately).

I tell all my UCLA friends that the time is now to hire a proven coach with a proven resume. A LOT of my friends want Bennett, but I tell them if you want a coach that will get you a Pac-12 title every year, but lay an egg in the tournament, then sure, hire him. But if you want a guy that is going to have you compete for titles year in and year out, hire Jay Wright or Billy Donovan. Don't know how plausible it is to hire a name like that, but c'mon...we are UCLA...give them a blank check and let them choose their own salary. We have billionaire donors for crying out loud. I also wouldn't mind Gregg Marshall, since he has a Final Four on his resume, and he always seems to do more with less, but other than that, I don't see anyone else. Maybe Pitino, but I don't want him due to his mischievous background. UCLA is not a school for coaching experiments. Leave that to schools like Drexel, Albany, Northern Iowa, and the like (no offense to anyone that reads this and are from those schools lol). But this is UCLA. No more hiring coaches from mid-major schools. No more coaching experiments.

Anyways, it will be interesting to see how Bennett does in this year's tournament. Hopefully it won't end up like last year...as a college sports fan, as fun as it was to watch the upset, it was also painful to watch. I know what it means to get upset by a team nobody has ever heard of. Good luck in this year's Big Dance! I will be putting you guys far in my bracket! :-)

I've wondered what would happen if UCLA chased Rick Barnes. He proved at Texas that he can coach at a big school with big $ donors, and now he's gone to Tennessee and built them into a top program from the ground up. Recruits like his style of play and he has the connections and reputation to be able to recruit in the south and southwest which will be crucial for poaching players who are considering schools like Arizona, Kansas, and Kentucky. Being at Tennessee can't be enough to keep him satisfied after being at Texas which basically had unlimited resources at his disposal.

Kansas strategically fouled Memphis—an extremely poor free throw shooting team all season—which missed four of its final five free throws in regulation (Derrick Rose/Chris Douglas-Roberts) while Kansas furiously scored 12 points in the final two minutes of regulation. During that stretch Kansas made 100% of their shots going 2 for 2 from two-point range, 2 for 2 from three-point range and 2 for 2 from the free throw line. When Memphis failed to foul, which arguably would have all but assured a victory for the Tigers, Kansas guard Mario Chalmers hit a three-point basket with 2.1 seconds remaining to tie the game at 63, sending the game into overtime. In overtime, Kansas scored the first six points en route to a 75–68 win.

My kind of guy... I started sweating reading your description of that game sequence.

I've wondered what would happen if UCLA chased Rick Barnes. He proved at Texas that he can coach at a big school with big $ donors, and now he's gone to Tennessee and built them into a top program from the ground up. Recruits like his style of play and he has the connections and reputation to be able to recruit in the south and southwest which will be crucial for poaching players who are considering schools like Arizona, Kansas, and Kentucky. Being at Tennessee can't be enough to keep him satisfied after being at Texas which basically had unlimited resources at his disposal.

I don't know how I would feel getting a coach like him. I mean, he's a great coach, don't get me wrong, but he doesn't have any experience coaching a championship squad. I know UCLA alum, Bob Meyers, is helping us out with the coaching search. He's the GM for the Warriors, and he found a gem in Steve Kerr, so perhaps he will find a gem for us. All I know is that UCLA fans are getting a little impatient, and they want to see a basketball team that exhibits John Wooden-esque qualities. The fans here in Westwood can be a little delusional sometimes ;-) lol.

I don't know how I would feel getting a coach like him. I mean, he's a great coach, don't get me wrong, but he doesn't have any experience coaching a championship squad. I know UCLA alum, Bob Meyers, is helping us out with the coaching search. He's the GM for the Warriors, and he found a gem in Steve Kerr, so perhaps he will find a gem for us. All I know is that UCLA fans are getting a little impatient, and they want to see a basketball team that exhibits John Wooden-esque qualities. The fans here in Westwood can be a little delusional sometimes ;-) lol.

Sounds like football fans in Lincoln, Nebraska.

My kind of guy... I started sweating reading your description of that game sequence.

Wikipedia is the real MVP...Although I do recall the game vividly.

I've heard the Bob Meyers / Steve Kerr point before. That's what scares me about possibly losing Tony Bennett. I think Kerr and Bennett have a lot of similar qualities and demeanor. The only thing I can hope is that Bennett values being in the ACC and having the opportunity to establish and cement his legacy at Virginia the way Coach K did at Duke and Dean Smith did at UNC. Nobody else will ever be the best coach in UCLA history.

A good analogy is Alabama football. With what Saban has done in the last 10 years, he's in the conversation for best coach in college football history, but if you ask any lifelong Alabama fan he still ranks second to Bear Bryant. There's nothing you can do at UCLA to be "the guy". For a young coach like Bennett who has all the tools to be a legend, I could see that being a turnoff.

The good thing for Virginia's chances of keeping Bennett is that we've been very loose with the checkbook for Bennett. The only coaches who made more last year were Coach K, Calipari, and Izzo, so unless UCLA is going into that "legendary" coach pay range ($5M+/yr), money probably won't be the deciding factor. Virginia also updated their stadium a few years ago, so they arguably have the best facilities in the ACC right now. They only thing they don't have is UCLA's legacy of being THE program by which all others are measured in the history of college basketball.

LOL! I know all about that! I know a couple die hard Nebraska fans myself, and they are still hoping to get the 2nd coming of Tom Osborne. Don't see that happening anytime soon.

I've heard the Bob Meyers / Steve Kerr point before. That's what scares me about possibly losing Tony Bennett. I think Kerr and Bennett have a lot of similar qualities and demeanor. The only thing I can hope is that Bennett values being in the ACC and having the opportunity to establish and cement his legacy at Virginia the way Coach K did at Duke and Dean Smith did at UNC. Nobody else will ever be the best coach in UCLA history.

A good analogy is Alabama football. With what Saban has done in the last 10 years, he's in the conversation for best coach in college football history, but if you ask any lifelong Alabama fan he still ranks second to Bear Bryant. There's nothing you can do at UCLA to be "the guy". For a young coach like Bennett who has all the tools to be a legend, I could see that being a turnoff.

The good thing for Virginia's chances of keeping Bennett is that we've been very loose with the checkbook for Bennett. The only coaches who made more last year were Coach K, Calipari, and Izzo, so unless UCLA is going into that "legendary" coach pay range ($5M+/yr), money probably won't be the deciding factor. Virginia also updated their stadium a few years ago, so they arguably have the best facilities in the ACC right now. They only thing they don't have is UCLA's legacy of being THE program by which all others are measured in the history of college basketball.

Yeah, I wouldn't really worry about losing Bennett. I think he is going to stay at Virginia for a long time, possibly until his career is over. In any case, it's hard to pry a guy like Jay Wright or Mark Few from small schools. They have pretty much established a monopoly in their conference. Those are the guys that are not gonna leave (possible, but very hard to bait them away from those schools). The school pays them any amount they want, and they are the reason the school pumps so much money into their respective basketball program (especially with new arena make-overs). It's also very tough to get anyone to come to UCLA. You'd think with our history, we'd be able to hire any coach we want, but that's simply not the case. The next coach has to live under Wooden's shadow, and you'll have to live up to the delusional expectations of our disgruntled and impatient fanbase. If you don't live up to the expectations, you will have a half-empty Pauley Pavilion. Not every coach is up for this challenge. In fact a lot of coaches just run away if they were to receive an offer from UCLA, or even if they got a phone call from us. I remember a few years back that some journalist interviewed a couple college coaches and got their take on what the best job in college basketball was. Shaka Smart (he was still at VCU at the time) said UCLA was a dream job...the best job anyone can get. Well, maybe a month or so after that article came out, we were looking for a new coach (we had just fired Ben Howland). We went after Shaka Smart, made him an offer, and he turned us down LOL. So much for being a dream job. It'll be an interesting search, but I hope we can get a guy that will put us in contention year in and year out. I'd love to see us compete with schools like Virginia, Duke, UNC, Kentucky, Kansas, etc. etc.

LOL! I know all about that! I know a couple die hard Nebraska fans myself, and they are still hoping to get the 2nd coming of Tom Osborne. Don't see that happening anytime soon.

Yeah, I wouldn't really worry about losing Bennett. I think he is going to stay at Virginia for a long time, possibly until his career is over. In any case, it's hard to pry a guy like Jay Wright or Mark Few from small schools. They have pretty much established a monopoly in their conference. Those are the guys that are not gonna leave (possible, but very hard to bait them away from those schools). The school pays them any amount they want, and they are the reason the school pumps so much money into their respective basketball program (especially with new arena make-overs). It's also very tough to get anyone to come to UCLA. You'd think with our history, we'd be able to hire any coach we want, but that's simply not the case. The next coach has to live under Wooden's shadow, and you'll have to live up to the delusional expectations of our disgruntled and impatient fanbase. If you don't live up to the expectations, you will have a half-empty Pauley Pavilion. Not every coach is up for this challenge. In fact a lot of coaches just run away if they were to receive an offer from UCLA, or even if they got a phone call from us. I remember a few years back that some journalist interviewed a couple college coaches and got their take on what the best job in college basketball was. Shaka Smart (he was still at VCU at the time) said UCLA was a dream job...the best job anyone can get. Well, maybe a month or so after that article came out, we were looking for a new coach (we had just fired Ben Howland). We went after Shaka Smart, made him an offer, and he turned us down LOL. So much for being a dream job. It'll be an interesting search, but I hope we can get a guy that will put us in contention year in and year out. I'd love to see us compete with schools like Virginia, Duke, UNC, Kentucky, Kansas, etc. etc.

I hope you're right. Virginia's current situation with Tony Bennett and Bronco Mendenhall is by far the highest quality and character sports environment I can remember at UVA. Most big conference, big budget schools have some type of competitive weakness. Virginia's biggest weakness is their academic standards which is a great problem to have if you have coaches who don't depend on a steady stream of 5 star recruits. I think we'll eventually lose Mendenhall to an SEC team, but I think you could be right about Bennett staying a while and eclipsing Ralph Sampson as the face of Virginia's basketball legacy (which he has already done in my opinion).

I hope you're right. Virginia's current situation with Tony Bennett and Bronco Mendenhall is by far the highest quality and character sports environment I can remember at UVA. Most big conference, big budget schools have some type of competitive weakness. Virginia's biggest weakness is their academic standards which is a great problem to have if you have coaches who don't depend on a steady stream of 5 star recruits. I think we'll eventually lose Mendenhall to an SEC team, but I think you could be right about Bennett staying a while and eclipsing Ralph Sampson as the face of Virginia's basketball legacy (which he has already done in my opinion).

Bronco is a great coach!!! I remember watching your game last season against VT. What a game that was. I was rooting for you guys to pull off that upset, as I don't really like VT that much. In my honest opinion, I don't see Bronco leaving Virginia. I think he's found a home there.

Also, I know what you mean about the academics. It's pretty tough to get into a school like UCLA, and with all the academic standards, we can't get any recruit we want. The grades and SAT scores have to be there for these high school players.

Luke Walton will be available in a month...

Callaway

Luke Walton will be available in a month...

lol...that's gonna be a no for me. No college coaching experience, and he's not a proven coach with a proven resume...two qualities I would love to see in our next coach. He can go to Arizona, when they fire Sean Miller. I don't want UCLA to be the school for coaching experiments. I'll leave that to the DII schools and the Sunbelt Conference!

Duke is like the LeBron Miami Heat.

They have 3 very good players with 3 very clear roles/hierarchy. But they rarely get anything from anyone else.

If RJ Barrett goes like 5/18 in a tournament game they'll probably lose. Because when he and Zion aren't at full capacity (Zion I think is incapable of bad games) they struggle to score and don't shoot the 3 well

I mostly watch Duke because of Barrett.

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique