Varner ruling.

That is what I was asking, if Varner knew the shaft was being "carried" for him.

If he did, shame on him because it sounds like he was told how to proceed.

If he didn't, and thought the agent brought both pieces, then it appears to be a bad break for him because the agent messed up, and she scorer as well.

I don't have any idea on the rule know with all that has been tossed around. But it certainly appears by what Hale quoted was that the fact that she shaft was with him was the crux of the problem.

If I have everything messed up I'll quickly offer apologies for letting this get a little heated with Mr Bean. We often don't see eye to eye, but if I'm wrong I'll take my lumps.

Last time I'll quotte it for you

“I guess they (the scorer) were thinking they were helping out or whatever, but when Harold and his caddie were aware that a walking scorer was carrying the golf club and it was assembled on the golf course, that's when it violated the rule.”

Ok, how about this. If you take the time to read the actual question I asked then you won’t have to quote again. Fair enough?

Of course he knew, after he was penalized. My question, for the second or third time, is this. When the agent handed him the club and shaft to assemble, did he know BEFORE he put it together that the scorer had carried the shaft. Or was after he assembled and hit it that he found out?

Again, I’m not arguing the penalty, just wondering if it was a brain fart on his part, or just a mistake that made without knowing? I’m just wondering, that’s all, not bitching. But if you feel the need to quote something again, try and find something that might answer what I’m actually asking.

No thank you. I'm done.

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

Lol. Why do people refuse to answer the actual question ? I see it soooo many times. I think I know why. Because the answer kind of gets in the way of the logic that they are spinning ?

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Is the shaft a club alone ? Couldn’t it be an alignment stick in the bag. Then used to repair the driver if it broke ?

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Lol. Why do people refuse to answer the actual question ? I see it soooo many times. I think I know why. Because the answer kind of gets in the way of the logic that they are spinning ?

Which question was that again ?

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

As far as I can tell it all comes down to an interpretation of what 4.1b (4) really means. My interpretation (likely wrong) says you can't replace the club unless you personally go get the replacement club without too much delay. If "anyone" carries the club or club components to you during the "round" it will be a violation.

Someone can bring them TO you from off the course. They cannot be carried on the course FOR you during the round. Meaning, you (or someone else) cannot be carrying components around so you can decide exactly what club you want to add during the round.

In order to bring a club or components to you they must be carried by someone. Hence my confusion. Carry is being defined in a very specific and non-obvious way.

The distinction is that they aren't walking around with them, but bringing them from off the course. I'm sure that a referee would ask where the components came from, and an honest answer would reveal which it was. Brought to the player, or being carried around. This would be a situation where intent would matter...as obviously it could take varying lengths of time for a club (or parts) to be brought to someone.

Actually the distinction seems to be time. If club or components are brought from off the course and immediately provided to the player for use then all is well. However, if the club or components are brought from off the course and carried around for some undefined length of time and then provided to the player then the general penalty is assessed upon use.

What question hasn’t been answered?

The reason for the rule has been explained.

According the quote from the article, the player knew the scorer was carrying the shaft and was penalized because of it.

Is that part really true? Who knows...my confidence in the fine details in news stories has been low for a long time, due to first hand knowledge that I had on some stories.

Would be great to see an interview of the player to hear what conversations really happened.

Shaft really an alignment stick? Have no idea where you are going with that one.

As far as I can tell it all comes down to an interpretation of what 4.1b (4) really means. My interpretation (likely wrong) says you can't replace the club unless you personally go get the replacement club without too much delay. If "anyone" carries the club or club components to you during the "round" it will be a violation.

Someone can bring them TO you from off the course. They cannot be carried on the course FOR you during the round. Meaning, you (or someone else) cannot be carrying components around so you can decide exactly what club you want to add during the round.

In order to bring a club or components to you they must be carried by someone. Hence my confusion. Carry is being defined in a very specific and non-obvious way.

The distinction is that they aren't walking around with them, but bringing them from off the course. I'm sure that a referee would ask where the components came from, and an honest answer would reveal which it was. Brought to the player, or being carried around. This would be a situation where intent would matter...as obviously it could take varying lengths of time for a club (or parts) to be brought to someone.

Actually the distinction seems to be time. If club or components are brought from off the course and immediately provided to the player for use then all is well. However, if the club or components are brought from off the course and carried around for some undefined length of time and then provided to the player then the general penalty is assessed upon use.

I hear you...I was merely thinking that a person could get delayed by crowds, or going to the wrong place on the course first, or whatever, and that theoretically should be taken into account.

That is what I was asking, if Varner knew the shaft was being "carried" for him.

If he didn't, and thought the agent brought both pieces, then it appears to be a bad break for him because the agent messed up, and she scorer as well.

I don't have any idea on the rule know with all that has been tossed around. But it certainly appears by what Hale quoted was that the fact that she shaft was with him was the crux of the problem.

If I have everything messed up I'll quickly offer apologies for letting this get a little heated with Mr Bean. We often don't see eye to eye, but if I'm wrong I'll take my lumps.

“I guess they (the scorer) were thinking they were helping out or whatever, but when Harold and his caddie were aware that a walking scorer was carrying the golf club and it was assembled on the golf course, that's when it violated the rule.”

Ok, how about this. If you take the time to read the actual question I asked then you won’t have to quote again. Fair enough?

Of course he knew, after he was penalized. My question, for the second or third time, is this. When the agent handed him the club and shaft to assemble, did he know BEFORE he put it together that the scorer had carried the shaft. Or was after he assembled and hit it that he found out?

Again, I’m not arguing the penalty, just wondering if it was a brain fart on his part, or just a mistake that made without knowing? I’m just wondering, that’s all, not bitching. But if you feel the need to quote something again, try and find something that might answer what I’m actually asking.

Well. For this thread shank has asked this one ^^ thrice or more.

For the ajga May May must thread , I asked 4-5 times how long the average rounds were prior to this rule and what the target time is ( paraphrasing). Still not acknowledged. It’s pretty common to be honest.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I hear you...I was merely thinking that a person could get delayed by crowds, or going to the wrong place on the course first, or whatever, and that theoretically should be taken into account.

It should. Time is not specified in the rule, but it really needs to be along with the specific definition of carry that is being implied. I also wonder why there isn't an outside agency exception for replacing a club.

I don't really care all that much. It won't ever be an issue for me. I was serious about never replacing a club in competition. Might give myself a penalty stroke or two for good measure. I'm sure I've done something wrong and need to be punished. I was just trying to illustrate how many of the RoGs are never as obvious to interpret as some folks think. This thread is certainly a testament to that opinion despite the extensive rules knowledge at WRX.

It should. Time is not specified in the rule, but it really needs to be along with the specific definition of carry that is being implied. I also wonder why there isn't an outside agency exception for replacing a club.

I don't really care all that much. It won't ever be an issue for me. I was serious about never replacing a club in competition. Might give myself a penalty stroke or two for good measure. I'm sure I've done something wrong and need to be punished. I was just trying to illustrate how many of the RoGs are never as obvious to interpret as some folks think. This thread is certainly a testament to that opinion despite the extensive rules knowledge at WRX.

It really does amaze me the vehemence the rules get defended with, often by the very people who can’t agree on the interpretation of them. It gets taken very personally a lot of times. Even when the questions aren’t accusatory, just questioning.

"I guess they (the scorer) were thinking they were helping out or whatever, but when Harold and his caddie were aware that a walking scorer was carrying the golf club and it was assembled on the golf course, that's when it violated the rule."

Ok, how about this. If you take the time to read the actual question I asked then you won't have to quote again. Fair enough?

Again, I'm not arguing the penalty, just wondering if it was a brain fart on his part, or just a mistake that made without knowing? I'm just wondering, that's all, not bitching. But if you feel the need to quote something again, try and find something that might answer what I'm actually asking.

And nobody has answered so it would appear nobody knows. Should everyone reading this thread have answered "I don't know" ?

Was Varner interviewed after the round and asked ? That'd be about the only way anyone would know, no ?

Titleist Pro V1X

It really does amaze me the vehemence the rules get defended with, often by the very people who can’t agree on the interpretation of them. It gets taken very personally a lot of times. Even when the questions aren’t accusatory, just questioning.

DSS, do you think this place would actually be better if folks did NOT try to explain or defend the reasoning behind rules? More like Twitter, or the comment section in YouTube?

Methinks folks aren’t taking things as personally as youthinks. :)

DSS, do you think this place would actually be better if folks did NOT try to explain or defend the reasoning behind rules? More like Twitter, or the comment section in YouTube?

Coul be, maybe I’m reading the replies wrong. Apparently today is the day for my reading skills to be called into question. ��

And I’m always happy for the explanations, that’s what I come here for is to discuss the rules. And to learn from the experts.

Coul be, maybe I’m reading the replies wrong. Apparently today is the day for my reading skills to be called into question. ��

Lol

I appreciate your passion for the game! And also those who are truly knowledgeable around here who have helped me to learn a little bit.

"I guess they (the scorer) were thinking they were helping out or whatever, but when Harold and his caddie were aware that a walking scorer was carrying the golf club and it was assembled on the golf course, that's when it violated the rule."

Ok, how about this. If you take the time to read the actual question I asked then you won't have to quote again. Fair enough?

Again, I'm not arguing the penalty, just wondering if it was a brain fart on his part, or just a mistake that made without knowing? I'm just wondering, that's all, not bitching. But if you feel the need to quote something again, try and find something that might answer what I'm actually asking.

And nobody has answered so it would appear nobody knows. Should everyone reading this thread have answered "I don't know" ?

Was Varner interviewed after the round and asked ? That'd be about the only way anyone would know, no ?

One deflected many times then finally said “ oh no you don’t. I’m out “. As if it was a hot potato. And yes. The words “ i don’t know . “ are in order sometimes. I say it . It’s also ok to say “ this may not make real sense “. Instead of defending the flawed semantics.

The rule was changed to allow a club to be replaced even if broken in anger. Yes ? Total free pass for being a terrible example ( I’ve been guilty of it so I can say that ). And yet this guy is penalized after asking for carrying his driver shaft and putting the new head on while not outside the imaginary boundaries that aren’t defined ??? And the reason given is to keep someone from starting with less than 14 clubs and then cherry picking a club for a specific shot on course. MMkay. I see that’s suppose. But why no mention of this when he asked for permission and/or guidance from the officials ? If a question Is asked I’d expect either a full explanation of all facets of that rule or the onus being on the officials. I mean this isn’t Simon says ? Of course we don’t know that conversation. But do we really think they told him “ now don’t carry your shaft it’s 2 shots if you do “. ?

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

My my bh, that post about replacing a club damaged in anger disappeared quickly,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :taunt:

Titleist Pro V1X

So I have a what if scenario. What if HV realizes that the carried shaft mated to the clubhead cannot be played. What is his recourse if he still wants to add a 14th club? Is the shaft dead and he must send his agent to get another shaft? Now that the head has been carried around for awhile does it become dead for use? Obvious answers, like pick another club entirely or suck it up and play 13, while acceptable are not useful.

That’s really all I was wondering. Just speculation on the events that led up to it. For instance, who handed him the components. It really wasn’t meant to cause any contention. Just if it might have been something on Varner that he could have prevented, or maybe he didn’t know prior to assembly that the shaft was with him.

Nothing really important, but it seemed to piss off one poster.

My my bh, that post about replacing a club damaged in anger disappeared quickly,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :taunt:

Lol. Hey. I can rewind if I want. I’ll revisit that once I’ve read a touch.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

So I have a what if scenario. What if HV realizes that the carried shaft mated to the clubhead cannot be played. What is his recourse if he still wants to add a 14th club? Is the shaft dead and he must send his agent to get another shaft? Now that the head has been carried around for awhile does it become dead for use? Obvious answers, like pick another club entirely or suck it up and play 13, while acceptable are not useful.

Does the shaft “ reset “ if the agent takes it off course? Can he/she take it to the parking lot and then install it in the head and bring it back ? How do they mark the shaft to know ? Wow. The options of lunacy are endless.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Does the shaft " reset " if the agent takes it off course? Can he/she take it to the parking lot and then install it in the head and bring it back ? How do they mark the shaft to know ? Wow. The options of lunacy are endless.

Yep. I liked the out of bounds reference early in the thread. Forget who asked that one.

Does the shaft " reset " if the agent takes it off course? Can he/she take it to the parking lot and then install it in the head and bring it back ? How do they mark the shaft to know ? Wow. The options of lunacy are endless.

Yep. I liked the out of bounds reference early in the thread. Forget who asked that one.

Yeah, that was good. Or the guy following along with 20heads and 40 shafts.

Yeah, that was good. Or the guy following along with 20heads and 40 shafts.

Probably wearing a trench coat. Everybody starts with 13 and then you buy the 14th from Joe's Used Club trench coat guy when you need it. LOL!

But assembling it out of bounds has no bearing on the rule.

As to the other questions you just asked...I was wondering the same thing. I think that once components have been carried around the course for a player, they are probably off limits. Would someone have to carry the club head off the course to save it from suffering the same fate? Or could he have showed to it to the ref and get that part of the puzzle nailed down (exempted) from breach?

Not a scenario that comes up very often...

Freudian slip as it was anyway. I just realized. Said replace I meant repair. And I’ve commented on that before and told he story of my putters broken neck on the sprinkler head after I fell down a hill and tried to catch the putter while slipping on wet grass . Said to illustrate how a replacement for non anger issues was a good option before. Terrible that I wouldn’t get a new club for that near death experience and some jackass who bends it on purpose can bend it back free of charge.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

But assembling it out of bounds has no bearing on the rule.

As to the other questions you just asked...I was wondering the same thing. I think that once components have been carried around the course for a player, they are probably off limits. Would someone have to carry the club head off the course to save it from suffering the same fate? Or could he have showed to it to the ref and get that part of the puzzle nailed down (exempted) from breach?

Not a scenario that comes up very often...

But, out of bounds is off the course. Quick way to reset a club if that is allowed. This is going to be the year of strange scenarios. I wouldn't be surprised if the lost ball 3 minute time rule doesn't cost someone a major this year.

So to summarize so that I can lock this down in my head.

You may repair a club . ( yes?)

Which includes adding a shaft to a driver head ( yes?)

So it is not illegal to use the wrench on course to repair. But is illegal to adjust (yes?). And repairing that driver apparently cannot include using the original shaft ? (Yes?)

That’s where I fall off the wagon. How can I repair a driver but not use any of its parts ?

The way I see it. He carried his damaged driver , and had a head brought to him . His mistake was asking about it before hand (yes?). That took the damaged club out of the bag and then became a mental gymnastics routine of who’s on first ?

One way trip to crazy town trying to make this follow logic.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock