Will there ever be another Tiger or is the competition too good for that kind of dominance again?

cavemeister

IMHO the players of today are too good for another Tiger like dominant player to appear. Tiger hit it 50 yards past the best golfers of his time, that was one of the tools that gave him such dominance. Today there are too many long hitters for someone to come along and hit it 50 yards past them. It seems like the top players are also great putters these days.

Clip of Colin Montgomery stating Tiger was 50 yards longer at 05:30.

stealth 2 plus, 10.5 Titleist 6x tr blue

Cobra 4 iron 
G425 5 and 7 woods red ventus 90x

Tsi2 3 wood RDX black x

PXG 0311xp 5-gw, 0211 G,SW,LW  Wilson ci11 w/ ctaper 130x

Titleist sm9 s400 56,60
2ball blade
Titleist v1x

(Just had a shoulder replaced and I am buying clubs for my fantasy bag).

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lol, that's what they said before Tiger came along.

Tour average in 1997 was 280. Tiger was just shy of 300 at 294. John Daly was longer at 302. Bill Glasson was 3rd on the list at 287.

Yes, there will be another one. There always is.

Walter: Tell me Bobby, why do you play this game?
Bobby: I play because I love it.
Walter: Well I play for the money. I have to win. That is why every time we face each other I will always beat you.

I don’t necessarily agree that the talent is that much better now, or that Tiger won so much because he feasted on weak competition.

No one playing today has the unique combination of game across every dimension, length, and killer instinct that Tiger had. There are several with really good golf games that are also very long, but that lack the winning mentality that Tiger had.

Whether we in our lifetimes see another dominant player like Tiger is questionable, but there may be another one to come along at some point in the distant future.

Yes there will be more greats. Is he on tour now? At this moment I dont think so. Hitting the ball a long ways helps a little though Ive always thought Tigers greatness lies in his ability to keep his emotions in check and not be affected by pressure when it applies. Thats how he has been able to dominate tournaments and Sundays. His putting ability has also helped him WAY more than his long drives.

Yeah there will but he or she will sneak up and boom.

TM SIM2 Max 10.5 UST V 2 
TM SIM Max 15 UST V2 66g
TM Stealth HL 17 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
TM Stealth UDI 19 UST V2
TM Stealth UDI 23 UST v2 
TM P790 6-PW Nippon Modus 3 105
TM MG 3 Black 50 Nippon Modus Tour WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 54 Nippon Pro WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 58 Nippon Pro Modus 105 T
TM TP Hydro Blast Bandon 3

Bingo. Guys that have followed golf for decades know the story has never changed. It's always been "the fields are just too strong now." Always!

[size=2][i]"I see the distorted swings, the hurried rounds, and now the electric carts tae ruin the course and rob us of our exercise...we have gone off the mark, gone after the wrong things, forgotten what it's all about"[/i][/size]

[size=2]-Dr. Julian Sands, Golf in the Kingdom[/size]

IMHO the players of today are too good for another Tiger like dominant player to appear. Tiger hit it 50 yards past the best golfers of his time, that was one of the tools that gave him such dominance. Today there are too many long hitters for someone to come along and hit it 50 yards past them. It seems like the top players are also great putters these days.

TW would beat these kids like dirty rugs ; )

We are in a similar era of Watson, Greg Norman, Seve Ballesteros right now. Lots of excellent, HOF caliber players, but no Hogan, Nicklaus, Tiger. That player will come eventually. He may not be Tiger or Jack good, but he will dominate the field.

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5 HZRDUS Smoke iM10 Green 60 TX 45.9" D3

Driver 2: Taylormade Burner Mini 11.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 X D5

Fairway: PXG 0311XF Gen 5 4 Wood; Smoke iM10 Green 70 TX D6

Irons: PXG 0317X; PXG 0311T Gen 5; 5-GW DG 105 X D7

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 56 S Grind;  Cleveland RTX Full Face 64 DG 120 X E0

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Raptor 38” Wristlock Grip

Old man broken Tiger is proving to be a top 10 player against this elite group of players. In a different universe, if he started today at 20, he’d still end up with double digit majors and 80 some wins.

Current Tiger is nothing compared to prime Tiger. Prime Tiger would do terrible, terrible things to old man Tiger... and old man Tiger is an incredible player.

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5 HZRDUS Smoke iM10 Green 60 TX 45.9" D3

Driver 2: Taylormade Burner Mini 11.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 X D5

Fairway: PXG 0311XF Gen 5 4 Wood; Smoke iM10 Green 70 TX D6

Irons: PXG 0317X; PXG 0311T Gen 5; 5-GW DG 105 X D7

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 56 S Grind;  Cleveland RTX Full Face 64 DG 120 X E0

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Raptor 38” Wristlock Grip

Tiger had 2 major resources; 1) Putting and 2) a great short game. When comparing Jack to Tiger, it's amazing that Jack won so many majors, for by his own admission, his short game was mediocre at best. Can you imagine how many of the second place finishes by Jack, could have been a win, if he had Tigers short game........ IMO, if Tiger didn't get hurt and lose those years of not playing, he very well could have eclipsed Jack's 18. He still has a very outside chance, but it's really not that doable with his current game and health. Just a personal observation........

Old man broken Tiger is proving to be a top 10 player against this elite group of players. In a different universe, if he started today at 20, he’d still end up with double digit majors and 80 some wins.

Current Tiger is nothing compared to prime Tiger. Prime Tiger would do terrible, terrible things to old man Tiger... and old man Tiger is an incredible player.

Its absurd to think TW 1.0 wouldnt rip through this crop of

"Young guns"

Like a scythe.

The ability to sustain mental discipline of this group compared to TW is minimal.

And thats not even taking account golf skills ; )

People forget how special Tiger was. Of course he may win some more, but most of his career is over. It is not an exaggeration to say he was probably the most dominant player of all time. Here's another stat that doesn't get mentioned much: Number of seasons leading the tour in wins.

• Tiger Woods - 12 seasons
  • Jack Nicklaus - 6
  • Tom Watson - 6
  • Ben Hogan - 5
  • Arnold Palmer - 5
  • Sam Snead - 4
  • Billy Casper - 4
  • Walter Hagen - 4
  • Jim Barnes - 4 (The forgotten man in the Jones-Hagen era)

Nicklaus holds the majors record, but Tiger's numbers are ridiculous. Phil Mickelson led the season in wins only once in 1996 and we all know what happened after that.

Here's where you can find a lot of this data:

https://www.thoughtco.com/pga-tour-yearly-victory-leaders-1561105

Look at DJ, probably the most dominant player right now (he's at least been able to keep it going for more than a year unlike some other guys. not saying it's easy, actually the opposite. DJ has 21 professional wins. I don't know if he will even have the career to match that of Mickelson. To be Tiger good, they would need to be a killer every tournament they played in. Tiger really honed this and didn't play as much just so he could absolutely prepare and dominate the ones he did play in. He was constantly better than the field (crazy cuts made streak at 142). It takes someone who has insane focus to be able to do that. The mental strength is just immense.

You look at the younger guys who have had 1 year hot streaks, and they have lacked not so much the game but the mental strength to keep it going for more than a year (not saying they are weak at all, having a hot year is not easily achieved either). But to me that's Tiger's most super human trait just like Nicklaus did. Not only did he step on your throat repeatedly, he did it for 20 years.

Callaway Paradym TD 10* Ventus Red TR 5S

Titleist TSR3 13.5* 3 Wood Tour AD-IZ 6S

Titleist TSR3 19* hybrid Modus GOST S

Titleist TSR2 24* hybrid Modus GOST S

Callaway Paradym Hybrid 27* Ventus non Velocore S

Titleist T100 2023 6-PW KBS Tour V S

Titleist SM8 50, 56, 60

Scotty Cameron X7.5 CS

I dont think it's a simple answer....I do believe that golf is more capitalized than it's ever been, so i think another "Tiger" type player is less likely now than it was in 1997.

That being said, there is always the potential for a unique talent to rise above the rest. I mean you wouldn't think , given how capitalized the NBA is with athleticism, that you could see a player like Giannis Antetokoumpo just look like a different type of human out there. This may or may not lead to multiple titles i just mean he looks like a different kind of talent.

So could some golfer come along that hits it further than everyone and has a better short game than anyone exist one day? Yeah i think so. Less likely, but over time the improbable becomes probable

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Of course there will be another. Golf at 72 holes enables domination.

I trudged all four rounds at Bay Hill last week and kept thinking how available it was for someone to pull away in that event. There were no stoppers. The rough was nicely gnarly at perhaps 4 inches but no reason to visit often.

It was group underachievement, and I'm convinced the entire tour is lulled into that complacency right now. Then on Sunday it was sickening because Molinari is good enough not to stop and think 10 under is plenty. I was standing alongside the 3rd green and looking across at nearby #6 when Molinari's name popped up at -8, one shot behind Fitzpatrick. Now I'm thinking this idiot might ruin my day following the trail group. I said that to guys standing alongside. Molinari could be greedy enough to get to -12 or thereabouts, and if that happens then the jerks McIlroy and Fitzpatrick and company will probably screw around -9 or -10 range, basically doing nothing.

Obviously it played out exactly that way. Tiger at his best could have methodically put away that field. Instead I'm watching Rory butcher a 3 foot birdie putt on #4 and then generally find ways to not birdie other par 5s or ever hit it relative to the hole.

Current PGA golf is great on a non-stadium course when the putters leave in the pin. Now you can actually see where it is supposedly headed instead of standing there like a dolt with no idea which side it missed, or why.

Tiger hit it 50 yards past the best golfers of his time, that was one of the tools that gave him such dominance.

Fake news.

Colin Montgomery said himself that Tiger hit it 320 to his 270 at the Mssters.

Cobra 4 iron 

Tsi2 3 wood RDX black x

Titleist sm9 s400 56,60
2ball blade
Titleist v1x

Tiger hit it 50 yards past the best golfers of his time, that was one of the tools that gave him such dominance.

Fake news.

Cobra 4 iron 

Tsi2 3 wood RDX black x

Titleist sm9 s400 56,60
2ball blade
Titleist v1x

Tour average in 1997 was 280. Tiger was just shy of 300 at 294. John Daly was longer at 302. Bill Glasson was 3rd on the list at 287.

Yes, there will be another one. There always is.

Just to be fair according to those distance stats the field was more like 267, 27 yards short of Tiger and 35 yards short of Daly's season average.

Fake news.

And he was right, at the Masters Woods was routinely hitting pitching wedge into 15 and averaged 23 yards longer than the next best in the field. Tiger actually averaged 342 at the Masters the year before and missed the cut. But he hasn't averaged anywhere near those numbers since with the best being 305 in 2001, so it's possible he was hitting all the right slopes at the much shorter Augusta National.

Pretty sure that in the era after Jack when the likes of Faldo, Norman and Seve were at the top of the game they were saying then that there would never be another Jack and then Tiger came along.

There is always going to be someone who comes along that is at least a head if not head and shoulders above everyone else, the thing is there is no rhyme nor reason to it. Look at other sports for examples of it. Football had Pele, then Maradona and now amazingly there is Ronaldo and Messi operating at the same time. There were plenty of good, great players even in between Maradona and the coming of Ronaldo and Messi but no one anywhere near their ability and longevity.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

Pressure creates Diamonds.. Bi-racial child growing up in the 80's and 90's in the US! Dominating a sport from infancy that saw its stars as predominantly wealthy Caucasians. Not being allowed to play many courses across the US, due to his skin color. Receiving death threats through college from the parents of his competitors, yet still playing and winning in order to prove that he wasn't afraid. He stared adversity straight in the eyes, spit in it's face and delivered a swift kick to the jewels.

I love the Big Cat, because he forced change. He brought the world to this game and it's not hard to understand why he is so loved. I am soaking up the greatness while I can.

I honestly believe the next "great one" will need to endure the same type of "pressure", which makes me believe that individual will not come from North America.

Titleist....

I've posted this before but it bears repeating. Once in a lifetime players don't exist. Once in a generation players do. 40 Years ago no one could have imagined that Dr.J would ever be topped. Then along came Bird. Folks said the same thing about Bird. Then along came Jordan. They said the same thing about Jordan. Then along came LeBron. They said the same thing about Montana. Then along came Brady. They said the same thing about Sampras. Then along came Federer. They said the same thing about Hogan. Then along came Nicklaus. They said the same thing about Nicklaus. Then along came Tiger. Point is there's always another transcendent player on the horizon. Do I think that player is on Tour right now? No. I think what we have right now is a transitional generation of players who will bridge the gap between Tiger and Phil and the next legendary guy. Similar to the way Norman, Wadkins, Love, Couples, Jacobsen, Kite, Pavin, and Stewart bridged the gap between Watson and Nicklaus and Tiger and Phil.

There's no logical reason why golf would be the one area of human endeavor in which past achievements are not capable of being surpassed. In science, art, technology, sports, etc. humans constantly push the envelope and expand the realm of what is considered possible. Why would golf be any different?