Registering/qualifying for tournaments ages 12 and under

I've noticed that a couple tournaments (IMG, Future Masters) ask for tournament history, bio, etc. when registering online.

Does anyone know what types of criteria are used to determine the field? How competitive is it to get into these tournaments that are not "first come first served" or where the field is determined by a qualifying round? Does a player need to be shooting consistently in the 80s? 70s? Winning US Kids Local Tour events? Placing in Regionals?

Thanks in advance

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This depends are you trying to age up? If you are then is may or may not matter. In most cases I think it just there to show what your accomplished if it's published.

I am also sure they may use for paring purposes too. I mean if a kid has played an won a lot you do not want to pair them with a kid who never played and probably will be last pace.

Also you mentioned there for 12 and under. In my experience almost all of those tournaments are on a first come first serve basis. The few ones are not have the qualifying information spelled out pretty clear. At least that been my experience. Over 13 it's completely different for a lot tournaments and not as easy to follow.

Future Master's is a joke. They take local kids from Alabama first regardless of how good or bad they are. They then take repeat players regardless of how good or bad they are. They then try to take one person from every state regardless of whether they are good players or not. This is my opinion after studying the fields from the last couple of years. I called and had a 20 minutes conversation with them last year and they couldn't tell me the criteria on how they decide. Don't confuse that with they wouldn't tell me, they literally COULDN'T tell me.

Last year my son was higher ranked than about half of the field and I was shocked he didn't get in, but he didn't get in. Kids from south Florida that he was ranked higher than, played in better tournaments than, and routinely beat got in. I assumed they had a higher profile coach and they made a phone call.

Future Master's has a great name and that is it. I understand it is at a nice facility and it is well run. A tournament that doesn't use some sort of ranking system or has a method of playing it's way in does hold much weight if you ask me.

Before someone goes and cries that I have sour milk because my son didn't get in, doesn't know me well. If I had sour milk I would have posted about it long ago without being prompted. My son's coach at the time was shocked as well that he didn't get in after seeing the field.

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

Future Master's is a joke. They take local kids from Alabama first regardless of how good or bad they are. They then take repeat players regardless of how good or bad they are. They then try to take one person from every state regardless of whether they are good players or not. This is my opinion after studying the fields from the last couple of years. I called and had a 20 minutes conversation with them last year and they couldn't tell me the criteria on how they decide. Don't confuse that with they wouldn't tell me, they literally COULDN'T tell me.

Last year my son was higher ranked than about half of the field and I was shocked he didn't get in, but he didn't get in. Kids from south Florida that he was ranked higher than, played in better tournaments than, and routinely beat got in. I assumed they had a higher profile coach and they made a phone call.

Future Master's has a great name and that is it. I understand it is at a nice facility and it is well run. A tournament that doesn't use some sort of ranking system or has a method of playing it's way in does hold much weight if you ask me.

Is your son applying again this year?

I've noticed that a couple tournaments (IMG, Future Masters) ask for tournament history, bio, etc. when registering online.

Does anyone know what types of criteria are used to determine the field? How competitive is it to get into these tournaments that are not "first come first served" or where the field is determined by a qualifying round? Does a player need to be shooting consistently in the 80s? 70s? Winning US Kids Local Tour events? Placing in Regionals?

Thanks in advance

IMG Worlds Qualifying Info: https://www.juniorworldgolf.com/node/13310

15-18 year olds: Players living in the United States must qualify to enter the IMG Academy Junior World Golf Championships. 15-18 Division players are NOT eligible to apply online until they have successfully earned a qualifying spot and have received a letter from the Tournament Committee with a registration code. Players do not need to preregister with the Junior World to participate in a qualifying tournament. Please contact the golf association hosting the qualifier you are interested in playing in directly.

14 and Under Age Divisions: Players living in the United States should check the map below to see if you are eligible to go through the selection process by submitting a player history form or if you are required to qualify. If you are eligible to submit a player history form, please apply during the registration period

(February 6-March 15).

It's no fun when the rabbit's got the gun.

Thanks in advance

IMG Worlds Qualifying Info: https://www.juniorwo....com/node/13310

15-18 year olds: Players living in the United States must qualify to enter the IMG Academy Junior World Golf Championships. 15-18 Division players are NOT eligible to apply online until they have successfully earned a qualifying spot and have received a letter from the Tournament Committee with a registration code. Players do not need to preregister with the Junior World to participate in a qualifying tournament. Please contact the golf association hosting the qualifier you are interested in playing in directly.

14 and Under Age Divisions: Players living in the United States should check the map below to see if you are eligible to go through the selection process by submitting a player history form or if you are required to qualify. If you are eligible to submit a player history form, please apply during the registration period

(February 6-March 15).

Yes the player history form is what I was referring to.

They ask for historical tournament performance, including tournament name, date, finish, # of holes/yardage, scores and field size.

Thanks in advance

IMG Worlds Qualifying Info: https://www.juniorwo....com/node/13310

(February 6-March 15).

Yes the player history form is what I was referring to.

They ask for historical tournament performance, including tournament name, date, finish, # of holes/yardage, scores and field size.

I'm guessing your kid is in the 7-8 year range? And what state do you live in (each state has some slightly different qualifying requirements)? I think at the 7-8's, they just want to see that you have played some tournaments before. If you look at last year's results for that age group, there is quite the "wide variety" of scores.

Today is the last day to register.

It's no fun when the rabbit's got the gun.

Is your son applying again this year?

No.

It honestly comes down to the fields in the upper levels aren't that great after studying them. He is in a situation now where rankings matter. He can play in a FJT event which will have a better field, a SFPGA Championship event which will have about the same in in some instances better without having to pay to travel there. If we are going to travel it will be for a big event such as an AJGA, North South, Dustin Johnson, PGA, USGA Junior, Florida Junior, Western Junior, Southern Junior, Bubba Conlee. They are going to be better fields at these with better ranking points.

I also understand the criteria of how to get into these.

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

Before someone goes and cries that I have sour milk because my son didn't get in, doesn't know me well. If I had sour milk I would have posted about it long ago without being prompted. My son's coach at the time was shocked as well that he didn't get in after seeing the field.

I’m not disputing anything you said. I run a major junior golf event and I can tell you that sometimes lower ranked kids get in over higher ranked kids. That’s not to defend Future Masters, but it is to explain that rankings aren’t always what matters.

For example, the last kid we let into this year’s event had a mediocre JGS ranking with a mish-mash of scores. However, in reviewing his playing results he qualified for US JR Am and made match play. His best results were in the strongest events he played. There were objective reasons outside of rankings to view him more favorably than higher ranked kids.

With that being said, much of what you said about future Masters is correct—especially the part about local kids and “far away” kids to check boxes for XX number of states and countries participating. Their methodology has diluted the quality of their field and it’s been reflected in the downgrading of Stars by AJGA.

But, I say what I say to hopefully illustrate that a good selection committee (much like a good college evaluator) is going to use the rankings to narrow things down and then use the resumes to make decisions.

What some parents don’t understand about some of these independent events is that the events have multiple issues pulling them in multiple directions. Sponsors want spots. The club Board wants certain kids in. All sorts of politics. You can call BS if you want but you also have to understand that if these outstanding private clubs are going to host events then it sometimes comes with those inconsistencies.

many folks (like you) want to b**** about the AJGA but then don’t want to deal with the unevenness of a private event. I wish these private events would be more transparent with their entry criteria because it would eliminate much of the bitching—even if the criteria included “half the spots will be filled from kids within 50 miles”.

Not sure my point overall, but appreciate these events for what they are—they’re really well run, high quality events. But understand they aren’t perfect and don’t get bent out of shape with what transpires.

And above all, don’t make an a** of yourself (not suggesting you did).

Because I can tell you this....the parents that b**** about “this kid got in over that because of X, Y or Z” are the same kids we send warning emails to other major events and college coaches telling them to stay away. And trust me, that matters.

I’ve learned SO much about what to say, how to say it and what not to say that will hopefully help my young son later on. Your words matter. Your acceptance of the process is appreciated. Your objection of the process is noticed and ultimately hurts your child more than you. Moreso, your acceptance and appreciation of what these private events do is positively reflected upon your kid and spreads very quickly as well.

For USK, you can get into Junior Worlds in Pinehurst depending on status and how you finish the local season. You can also do it via State, Regional and if you finish Top 20 in worlds:

http://www.uskidsgol...priority-status

You don't have to necessarily win the local season to get into USK Jr. Worlds. When it used to be Green (1st) and Orange (2nd), my kid would still get the invite for the seasons finished with Orange. I'm 99% sure Orange status will still get the invite. We know some players at USK that shoot on average mid 80s to mid 90s that play in PH. If you look at scores at IMG, there are a few that shoot in the 100s that qualify, but I believe those scores were from kids overseas. Not sure how the qualifying process were done in those countries.

In my personal experience, IMG has the top field (harder to qualify for with more limited spots) and USK follows 2nd behind it. This will vary from family to family, but IMG has the better field and Torrey (kids play Torrey when they're in their teens), but USK Pinehurst has a great overall experience, a bunch of top rated courses, family vacay, everything centralized. There were years where Boys 8 or 9 were playing actual Pinehurst courses.

Hope that helps.