2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Fighting Gravity and THE Club Weight

BB28403

Who says the physics isn't settled? You?

Physics is settled. The argument about the forces and torques in the golf swing are not. Michael Jacobs released his long awaited book last week. Conversation and discussion is ongoing.

What is/are the main disagreement(s) between the Jacobs/Nesbitt clique and the Sasho clique?

Monte is being too modest when he writes " I didn’t know anything about anything then." Monte knew the most important thing, what it feels like to swing the club really fast. Knowing that plus having a favorable genetic endowment made him at the time the longest hitter around. Has the knowledge of physics gained since he thought he was allowing his hand to drop with gravity made him any longer?

I don't doubt the finding of science, I just doubt that they have much to do with performing on the golf course.

Steve

I do not want to speak for Monte, but from knowing him and speaking with him I am willing to make a large wager that he will tell you that had he known more about the physics of the swing back then, we would not be taking lessons from Monte today and instead would be watching him on the Champions Tour.

Monte was a good player and could hit it long despite not knowing what he was doing. He sought out some "top" instructors of the day back then who also didn't understand the physics and they sent him in the wrong direction and he wasn't able to improve and stay on the Web.com. Had he known then what he knows now, he would have never gone to those "top" teachers that were also ignorant of the swing and he would have fixed his swing himself and not only stayed on the Web but advanced to the Tour most likely. Monte's swing is better today than it was then because he indeed does understand what is going on better.

Ping G430 Max 9* Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X
Ping G425 Max 14.5 Alta CB 65S
Callaway Rogue ST Max 18* Tensei Blue 75S

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Titleist SM9  52*F 56*D and 60*D
L.A.B. Link1/Scotty Newport
Srixon Z Star XV

Monte is being too modest when he writes " I didn’t know anything about anything then." Monte knew the most important thing, what it feels like to swing the club really fast. Knowing that plus having a favorable genetic endowment made him at the time the longest hitter around. Has the knowledge of physics gained since he thought he was allowing his hand to drop with gravity made him any longer?

I don't doubt the finding of science, I just doubt that they have much to do with performing on the golf course.

Steve

I do not want to speak for Monte, but from knowing him and speaking with him I am willing to make a large wager that he will tell you that had he known more about the physics of the swing back then, we would not be taking lessons from Monte today and instead would be watching him on the Champions Tour.

Monte was a good player and could hit it long despite not knowing what he was doing. He sought out some "top" instructors of the day back then who also didn't understand the physics and they sent him in the wrong direction and he wasn't able to improve and stay on the Web.com. Had he known then what he knows now, he would have never gone to those "top" teachers that were also ignorant of the swing and he would have fixed his swing himself and not only stayed on the Web but advanced to the Tour most likely. Monte's swing is better today than it was then because he indeed does understand what is going on better.

Not sure if proffering a wager is a board approved activity, but what kind of wager do you have in mind?

Physics is settled. The argument about the forces and torques in the golf swing are not. Michael Jacobs released his long awaited book last week. Conversation and discussion is ongoing.

Although physics is not one of my areas of expertise these sentences seem to be in some degree of conflict. If physics is settled, and if torque and forces are properties within physics, why would there be disagreements. Clarify?

Although physics is not one of my areas of expertise these sentences seem to be in some degree of conflict. If physics is settled, and if torque and forces are properties within physics, why would there be disagreements. Clarify?

The laws of physics are settled. The disagreement on forces and torques is because we aren't measuring them but calculating them. How the best way to do that is the debate. The main thing come down to the frame of reference to do the calculation.

If you've ever used an ax to cut down a tree you know it's more efficient and uses less energy to make a downward blow versus an upward blow.

Take a golf club and make a motion like you're swinging an ax downward into the base of a tree. Now make a motion like you're swinging an ax upward into the base of a tree. Which motion feels smoother? Which motion would create less wear and tear on your body?

If you've ever used an ax to cut down a tree you know it's more efficient and uses less energy to make a downward blow versus an upward blow.

Take a golf club and make a motion like you're swinging an ax downward into the base of a tree. Now make a motion like you're swinging an ax upward into the base of a tree. Which motion feels smoother? Which motion would create less wear and tear on your body?

You can’t swing an ax upward at the base of a tree. And the golfswing is nothing like swinging an ax, not only is it exponentially lighter but the AOA isn’t 45* in a golf swing.

I swing up and down to cut down a tree to make a V.

Srixon Z 785 9.5 Atmos Tour Spec Black 60X
Srixon Z F85 15 Atmos Tour Spec Black 60X
Srixon Z U85 18 Steelfiber i110 S
Srixon Z FORGED 3-9 Steelfiber i110 S
Cleveland RTX4 46 Steelfiber i110 S
Cleveland RTX4 Forged 50 Steelfiber i125 S
Cleveland RTX4 58 Steelfiber i125 S
Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft Premier 11S

Bettinardi QB6 DASS High Polish
Srixon ZStar XV Yellow

Does either camp factor in gravity helping/hurting the motion of the club relative to the forces applied by the golfer?

Forget about the club for one moment.

To understand and feel more principles take notice of contemporary dance. A style which developed mid 20th century in reaction to ballet.

It is basically the opposite. Contemporary dance shows what gravity in motion is all about.

As a taught art form the lingo for the basics are stronger and better pronounced compared to golf.

Learning to 'stack' the body in motion and feel the balance in off balance positions is stuff very common for this art form.

If a player wonders how to go from flexion to extension back into flexion and extension sure a player can do so without the awareness of gravity and momentum.

Yet the instant the player feels gravity as a force the mechanics will be super fluid. Or natural.

Michael Jacobs

March 7 at 1:07 PM

I would have hoped that they could have figured this out by now, but they need a lot of help apparently.

The Space Frame and the User Frame BOTH MUST EXIST to be able to do a 3D analysis.

Michael Jacobs

I would have hoped that they could have figured this out by now, but they need a lot of help apparently.

53410264_2366016023416742_7669165643224055808_o.jpg?_nc_cat=106&_nc_ht=scontent.fykz1-1.fna&oh=0f757b2d90b46a48ecde1661148cdbe6&oe=5D206812

Completely disingenuous. When brian and sasho were discussing at one point years ago, sasho suggested the reference frames being used might be different and brian insisted they were the same. I think it's an interesting idea but am really not sure it is necessary or useful. That isn't said to dismiss it. Still processing.

Michael Jacobs

The Space Frame and the User Frame BOTH MUST EXIST to be able to do a 3D analysis.

Michael Jacobs

53410264_2366016023416742_7669165643224055808_o.jpg?_nc_cat=106&_nc_ht=scontent.fykz1-1.fna&oh=0f757b2d90b46a48ecde1661148cdbe6&oe=5D206812

Completely disingenuous. When brian and sasho were discussing at one point years ago, sasho suggested the reference frames being used might be different and brian insisted they were the same. I think it's an interesting idea but am really not sure it is necessary or useful. That isn't said to dismiss it. Still processing.

Manzella isn't the one who wrote the book or developed the 3d system for Jacobs 3d...so there's that. Plus Sasho hasn't written/published one single paper on this. Just social media campaigning. If Sasho knew about the reference frames why couldn't he figure it out, the truth is the book is without error and Finney and Sasho can't handle that fact. Nesbit is in a different league when it comes to 3d.

Someone should remind brian he didn't write the book. Have seen him say WE wrote this and WE published.

Fact is sasho suspected the moving reference frames and BRIAN told him he was wrong. The book is different than how it was described for years. Book is right about how they are doing the math. I am going to quote a well known teacher when I asked him his thoughts on the changing frames of reference "Not that interesting. If that’s what it’s all been about then this is ridiculous"

Some trivia for anyone following. Who is the guy talking in the video I posted?

Thanks everyone for chiming in, and the heavy weight teachers. Always nice to hear from the pros in the trenches.

Keep posting! Comment down below... kidding

I may have missed it reading thru the thread, but I didn't see where anyone answered your question. It is Pete Cowen.

Michael Jacobs

Michael Jacobs

Manzella isn't the one who wrote the book or developed the 3d system for Jacobs 3d...so there's that. Plus Sasho hasn't written/published one single paper on this. Just social media campaigning. If Sasho knew about the reference frames why couldn't he figure it out, the truth is the book is without error and Finney and Sasho can't handle that fact. Nesbit is in a different league when it comes to 3d.

Someone should remind brian he didn't write the book. Have seen him say WE wrote this and WE published.

Fact is sasho suspected the moving reference frames and BRIAN told him he was wrong. The book is different than how it was described for years. Book is right about how they are doing the math. I am going to quote a well known teacher when I asked him his thoughts on the changing frames of reference "Not that interesting. If that's what it's all been about then this is ridiculous"

Someone should remind SASHO he got it wrong! It's not just about frames of reference and if it's not that interesting why the Alpha War for 5 years and continuing to this day. It's funny that they couldn't figure it out but now it's like" it's how they are doing the math" You quoted a well known teacher? Nesbit is the premier phd on this he wrote and published many scientific papers and you get a well known teacher saying it's not that interesting .... That's a joke!

The math is the math it's either correct or not, Nesbit doesn't own it, Sasho had 5 years and couldn't get it right, he wrote nothing and published nothing , and why would Manzella tell them and give away Jacobs 3d it's a I.Property. Sasho is a competitor and he wanted the keys to the vault.... too bad they are wrong and now Sasho is stuck with the fact he went around saying the right hand slows the club down and there is only basically a check swing at the bottom.....now that's ridiculous!!

The did their analysis in 2d and that's the reason they couldn't figure it out, that's the reason for the user frame and space frame it's 3d analysis and you must have both frames... end of story...oh and there is no putting in early torque and coasting not happening!

You guys never go off script. You're one of 3 people Silva, feltman, or Jacobs himself. My money is on feltman. Not many sweaters to sell right now. What's funny is how you think the other guys view you versus how they actually view you. Nobody was trying to "steal" anything ,and it isn't a "war" just because 2 guys on one side keep calling it that. End of the day...it's a different way to measure. Like I said, I think it's interesting to think about but end of the day I just don't know if it's really of any value or really all that helpful. We will see

A different way to measure, that's priceless! The truth is it's the correct 3d analysis, that's the reason Sasho couldn't figure it out, if it was simply a different way to measure you would think a PHD could do the analysis and come up with the answer. And that different way to measure shows that Sasho got it wrong so there's that! If you go around teaching something that is wrong it matters Sasho got it wrong and went around the world telling people the incorrect information... that's a big deal!

No one mentioned stealing anything, how could they steal it? They just wanted Jacobs or Manzella to give it to them. Sasho called Nesbit at the start of this and asked Nesbit for help and Nesbit declined... that's a fact.

You're a teacher so if you get the wrong info and teach it you might want to have the correct version when it's available... but hey maybe you don't. Personally I like info that is correct but that's just me.

Oh and I'm fairly confident the " other side" views this side exactly the way they say they do on the golf Biomechanist facebook group.

Who did Jacobs try and hire at one point early in all of this to help him and who turned him down?

[media=]

[/media]

At 16:15 he says that in every swing there is a negative beta force requiring a positive alpha torque into impact. Did he misspeak??

You're a member of their facebook group, ask him. I personally did not hear him say that "in every swing" at 16:15

He said "you're ALWAYS gonna get a negative beta force"

We need to get Newtonian PULL Gravity out of our minds.

Gravity has a massive effect on a golf swing.

If you think Gravity is an effortless drop then you are ignoring the full effect of what Gravity is.

Gravity is all about Mass and relationships in motion. The storing of energy into mass on Earth is what Gravity is all about.

FD,

Please allow me to make some revisions to your statements.

In the realm of Newtonian mechanics, gravity is a force - the kind that accelerates an apple to the ground, that keeps the earth in orbit around the sun. Momentum is that quantity "stored" in a mass and it is exactly mass x velocity in motion, not gravity. A force applied to a mass adds momentum to that mass - it is like a flow of momentum into and out of a mass. A torque is like a force but rather a flow of angular momentum that causes mass to rotate.

Twirling a mass at the end of a string and that mass seems to defy earth gravity and "flies" horizontally. Same phenomenon when a girl twirls a hoola hoop around her waist. What gives? Do we need this sort of "flying" in a good golf swing?

Alpha, beta, gamma torques effect rotations of the club around the hands in 3D in the frame of reference of the hands. The frame of reference of the hands is not an inertial frame for the hands do not move in 3D space with constant velocity. My concept is that alpha and beta torques are induced torques from the motion of the hands not from the direct actions of the hands themselves. The motion of the hands is the result of the motions of the lead shoulder and the trail elbow. So it is much more beneficial to study the motions of the lead shoulder and the trail elbow and to study the actions of the pivot that drive those motions.