2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

To all the arm lock users

BrendanKre

I think it would be hard for them to ban arm locking. I say that because it was not very long ago they revised the rules and made the changes they felt were correct. It took a very long time for them to make the decision to ban anchored putters. Arm lock is not anchored, the grip end moves during the stroke...its going to be around a long time...which is great for me. Haha.

I hope you're right, because I've been arm locking for years and it made me a much better golfer. I swear, the first time I arm locked, I actually felt what it was like to hit a putt solid. And I think I've hit every putt solid in the 5 years since. It still feels awkward to me though; as Bladehunter mentioned, it physically hurts, but it's so worth it to actually make some putts.

Since I've seen a bunch of golfers on tour who sucked on the green suddenly turn into decent to great putters with arm lock, I've started to practice with a conventional putter, just in preparation for a ban. The USGA has a pattern. When the Adam Scott's, Webb Simpson's, Jason Dufner's, Bryson D's of the world switch en masse to a certain method and it changes their games, they look for ways to ban it. Doesn't matter if it matches the current definition of anchoring. They will make an amendment that includes fixing the shaft to an arm. You can make every argument for why fixing the shaft to an arm that they did for anchoring.

Get ready for it arm lockers. I'd bet most of my life savings on this method getting banned.

I agree with you 100%. When the bad putters get better. They start looking. I'd bet with you. And honestly don't want to see it. It would be easy to ban. And they hate Bryson so there's lots of motives. Lol. ( mutual hate I think ).

If they try and ban it everyone will point to their own research that concluded that not only didn't they forbid the use of armlock but they RECOMMENDED the use to those who were anchoring in the belly or chest. The USGA isn't the brightest organization, but even they know they can't do that.

Literally every time I putt with this thing I like it more and I feel more confident. I actually don't think I need to alter the putter at all - I figured out a grip and stance that works and is easy to replicate.

Is it as comfortable as a regular putter? No, but the security blanket feeling of the arm lock more than makes up for it. A regular putter feels plain floppy and sloppy after using the arm lock.

I think this is the key, and what causes many people to give up. You really have to alter your entire setup - ESPECIALLY if you weren't fit for it based off your previous putting posture. Someone was saying something about pulling every putt and I immediately thought to myself you're likely still utilizing much if not all of your previous putting posture.

I don't like it because it really slows down play, but early on everyone who adopts the Arm Lock really should be putting a line on the ball and lining that line up with your intended line. Then you place the head directly behind the ball and lined up with your line on the ball with the putter perfectly soled. If this posture feels to awkward to get used to then you need to get fit to the point where it doesn't hurt or feel awkward. Bottom line is that putter head has to be in the correct position. Seems obvious but I think those who struggle are just tied to their previous posture too much and this causes a struggle to get the putter head positioned and lined up properly.

IMO, of course. :)

Thing is pure! Curious how the shaft feels. Lots of flex with the graphite?

It feels more flexible than the standard ski pole steel shaft but not to where it feels loose or out of control. I am waiting for a new jumbomax arm lock grip to come in to try. I have a winn flatso 17” on there now, but the jumbomax is a little heavier, so I will see how that works out.

FWIW Bryson's shaft is WAY stiffer and heavier than steel shafts, so clearly way heavier than graphite. "Stiff as a board" to quote him.

https://www.golf.com/gear/putters/2019/02/13/bryson-dechambeaus-la-golf-putter-shaft-wont-come-cheap/

could I convert an old studio design 1 blade style putter to armlock or is it just completely the wrong configuration?

Its just my fun club

I don’t know why not, but I’m guessing you will want to head to be quite a bit heavier.

Ping G430 Max 10K 9* with VA Composites Nemesys 65s untipped

Taylormade Burner Mini 13.5* with Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6s tipped 1/2”

Ping G430 4 hybrid with Fujikura Ventus Blue Hybrid 10x untipped

Ping i530 5-P,U with Fujikura Axiom 125x 

Ping s159 wedges 50.5s, 55s, 59.5h with Fujikura Axiom 125x

Odyssey Ai One Milled Eight T S

2024 Callaway Tour 
Golf Pride Tour Velvet +1/64"
Ogio Silencer bag

Literally every time I putt with this thing I like it more and I feel more confident. I actually don't think I need to alter the putter at all - I figured out a grip and stance that works and is easy to replicate.

Is it as comfortable as a regular putter? No, but the security blanket feeling of the arm lock more than makes up for it. A regular putter feels plain floppy and sloppy after using the arm lock.

I think this is the key, and what causes many people to give up. You really have to alter your entire setup - ESPECIALLY if you weren't fit for it based off your previous putting posture. Someone was saying something about pulling every putt and I immediately thought to myself you're likely still utilizing much if not all of your previous putting posture.

I don't like it because it really slows down play, but early on everyone who adopts the Arm Lock really should be putting a line on the ball and lining that line up with your intended line. Then you place the head directly behind the ball and lined up with your line on the ball with the putter perfectly soled. If this posture feels to awkward to get used to then you need to get fit to the point where it doesn't hurt or feel awkward. Bottom line is that putter head has to be in the correct position. Seems obvious but I think those who struggle are just tied to their previous posture too much and this causes a struggle to get the putter head positioned and lined up properly.

IMO, of course. :)

1000% agree with you. I posted earlier about how I wanted to put the club right back in the mail to Odyssey ten putts in. My problem was that I was just lining up to the putt like normal, pushing the putter forward, and just expecting it to work. You are dead spot on about soling the putter head first and THEN getting into your posture. That was one of the big keys for me.

I also recently switched out the stock Odyssey arm lock grip for a Rosemark long grip and it is MUCH better. I think Odyssey did arm lock newbies a disservice by shipping with a kind of thin grip. The Rosemark isn't even THAT much chunkier but it's noticeably easier for me to make contact with my forearm. I don't feel like I need to forward press it quite as much. I'm sure that the new Superstroke that was just released would have the same effect.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5 deg.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 3L

Srixon ZX 3 hybrid

Ping S55 irons

Ping Glide 3.0 54 & 60 deg.

Bettinardi BB-1W

I want to arm lock this season in an effort to change up my performance on the greens. I've always been interested in it, and now that it's converting some notable guys on Tour with positive results (even Furyk is doing it now) I really want to try it.

Outside of Bryson, I feel like I see most guys going with a face balanced putter for an arm lock model. Is that the best to go with?

I was thinking of making my own from a Toulon Palm Beach but I have yet to see a heel shafted model been given a go with arm lock style: https://www.odysseygolf.com/toulon-design/putters-2019-toulon-palm-beach-stroke-lab.html

What do you guys think?

I'm looking at the Valspar tournament images and I see even more players trying the arm lock method. I'm sure the ruling bodies didn't anticipate the volume of players that would go this route and not long after the anchor ban was announced I was convinced that they would some day get round to addressing the arm lock method I just felt that they would regret the lower/upper arm distinction that makes arm lock permitted. Given the surge in uptake of players using this method I'm even more convinced that governing bodies will be plotting away behind the scenes for future rule changes with this putting method being a target of new/amended rules. I think the push back, especially from tour players, would be unprecedented if this happens and I think the ruling bodies would look a little foolish.

[size=2]Titleist 910D3 8.5°
TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]

• 2 weeks later...

I’m looking to duplicate my current arm lock set up with a different head. What kind of shaft are you guys throwing in there to get that kind of length?

TSR3 9 | VentusTR Blue 7x

Paradym 3W | S 83tx

Covert 5W | S 103 x

716 MB 4-P | PX 6.5

MG3 52 | S400

MG4 56 | S400

SM8 60 |S400

Phantom 5.5 

Z-star XV

> @OldTomMorris said:

> I'm looking at the Valspar tournament images and I see even more players trying the arm lock method. I'm sure the ruling bodies didn't anticipate the volume of players that would go this route and not long after the anchor ban was announced I was convinced that they would some day get round to addressing the arm lock method I just felt that they would regret the lower/upper arm distinction that makes arm lock permitted. Given the surge in uptake of players using this method I'm even more convinced that governing bodies will be plotting away behind the scenes for future rule changes with this putting method being a target of new/amended rules. I think the push back, especially from tour players, would be unprecedented if this happens and I think the ruling bodies would look a little foolish.

Something is coming. It’s literally getting to be 1 armlocker in every group now. They won’t let it continue to grow.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @bladehunter said:

> > @OldTomMorris said:

> > I'm looking at the Valspar tournament images and I see even more players trying the arm lock method. I'm sure the ruling bodies didn't anticipate the volume of players that would go this route and not long after the anchor ban was announced I was convinced that they would some day get round to addressing the arm lock method I just felt that they would regret the lower/upper arm distinction that makes arm lock permitted. Given the surge in uptake of players using this method I'm even more convinced that governing bodies will be plotting away behind the scenes for future rule changes with this putting method being a target of new/amended rules. I think the push back, especially from tour players, would be unprecedented if this happens and I think the ruling bodies would look a little foolish.

>

> Something is coming. It’s literally getting to be 1 armlocker in every group now. They won’t let it continue to grow.

I hope not! I’ve never been this consistently good with the flat stick. Also, I think there would be major pushback from the pros

TSR3 9 | VentusTR Blue 7x

Paradym 3W | S 83tx

Covert 5W | S 103 x

716 MB 4-P | PX 6.5

MG3 52 | S400

MG4 56 | S400

SM8 60 |S400

Phantom 5.5 

Z-star XV

> @Downtown_Brown_41 said:

> > @bladehunter said:

> > > @OldTomMorris said:

> > > I'm looking at the Valspar tournament images and I see even more players trying the arm lock method. I'm sure the ruling bodies didn't anticipate the volume of players that would go this route and not long after the anchor ban was announced I was convinced that they would some day get round to addressing the arm lock method I just felt that they would regret the lower/upper arm distinction that makes arm lock permitted. Given the surge in uptake of players using this method I'm even more convinced that governing bodies will be plotting away behind the scenes for future rule changes with this putting method being a target of new/amended rules. I think the push back, especially from tour players, would be unprecedented if this happens and I think the ruling bodies would look a little foolish.

> >

> > Something is coming. It’s literally getting to be 1 armlocker in every group now. They won’t let it continue to grow.

> I hope not! I’ve never been this consistently good with the flat stick. Also, I think there would be major pushback from the pros

>

I’m not wishing it on ya. I’d vote to repeal the whole anchor ban. But I don’t think pros pushback matters much. They push back against a lot of rule changes. And they still get changed.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Can’t do it! The position is physically painful on my left wrist and shoulder!

Rogue ST Max LS (8.0), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX 

Cobra Aerojet (14.5), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX

TSi2 (18, A1), Tensei AV Raw White 85TX

U85 (22), X100

i210 (5-UW), X100

Glide 3.0 (54.12SS, 60.06TS)

35” Daddy Long Legs

Srixon Z-Star XV

Been looking for this thread. I have been intrigued by the arm lock method for years, I used to have a very pronounced forward press with an old Bullseye I used for a long time, I felt like the shaft would have gone right up my arm. I eventually went away from that, but still sort of bowed my left wrist into a similar position. Then about 12 years ago went to a belly, struggled with it at first, but then seem to "get it" one day, and putted pretty good with it for a few years, but moved on once they wanted to ban them. Last year finally made a real effort to go left hand low, and struggled with many putters and stances, but after several months I started to get the hang of it, and was putting much better, but it would still almost leave me at times and feel really foreign one round, then good the next. I tried looking into arm lock last year, but all I really could find were the Betti's, and I didn't want to spend the $$$ on an experiment.

Flash forward to this year, and a few weeks ago I noticed Odyssey was coming out with new models, and went into to my local shop to ask about them. And low and behold, they had a used older Metal X Odyssey #1 Belly putter in good shape that somebody had bent to make it an arm lock, they had it listed for $29.99. I traded in an old wedge as an even swap to try it. Having gone left hand low, I decided to do this also with the arm lock. I played a few rounds with it, and at times it felt great, but I struggled at times on longer putts, as it seems I had a hard time hitting it hard enough on the longer ones, especially as the greens were kind of slow. Practicing short putts, it seems automatic.... However, I played a tournament this past week, and made the decision to go back to conventional for the week, and actually putted very well. I think even just practicing with the arm lock helps me have more of a shoulder stroke, but after putting with the arm lock, I will tend to blast regular putters too hard when I pick them back up, it takes a day or so to get the feel again.

I think I'm going keep experimenting, as I think I can really get to like it, maybe I should get one that is made from the start as an arm lock. I saw this model in the PGA Superstore over in Dallas last week and it did feel really good.

![](https://www.odysseygolf.com/dw/image/v2/AADH_PRD/on/demandware.static/-/Sites-CGI-ItemMaster/default/v1554524332697/sits/putters-2019-double-wide-armlock/putters-2019-double-wide-armlock____2.png?sfrm=png&sw=600 "")

![](https://www.odysseygolf.com/dw/image/v2/AADH_PRD/on/demandware.static/-/Sites-CGI-ItemMaster/default/v1554524332697/sits/putters-2019-double-wide-armlock/putters-2019-double-wide-armlock____4.png?sfrm=png&sw=600 "")

[https://odysseygolf.com/families/alternative-putters/arm-lock/putters-2019-double-wide-armlock.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIpJHr3MK84QIVv__jBx0CZAgvEAQYAiABEgL_wPD_BwE](https://www.odysseygolf.com/families/alternative-putters/arm-lock/putters-2019-double-wide-armlock.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIpJHr3MK84QIVv__jBx0CZAgvEAQYAiABEgL_wPD_BwE "https://odysseygolf.com/families/alternative-putters/arm-lock/putters-2019-double-wide-armlock.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIpJHr3MK84QIVv__jBx0CZAgvEAQYAiABEgL_wPD_BwE")

WITB
Srixon ZX5 LS 9.0, HZRDUS Black 60 6.0
Ping G425 LST 3 wood, Tensei Orange

Ping G410  7 wood set at 19, Tensei Orange

Srixon ZX 4 MKii 4 iron, ZX 5 MKii 5,6 irons  ZX7 MKii  7-PW KBS TGI 90

RTX Zipcore  Tour Rack 50, 54, 60

L.A.B. Golf Mezz.1 Max 16 CB, 39 inches

Srixon-Z Star XV

> @"b.mattay" said:

> Can’t do it! The position is physically painful on my left wrist and shoulder!

Me too. I literally do not understand how people use it.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @bladehunter said:

> > @Downtown_Brown_41 said:

> > > @bladehunter said:

> > > > @OldTomMorris said:

> > > > I'm looking at the Valspar tournament images and I see even more players trying the arm lock method. I'm sure the ruling bodies didn't anticipate the volume of players that would go this route and not long after the anchor ban was announced I was convinced that they would some day get round to addressing the arm lock method I just felt that they would regret the lower/upper arm distinction that makes arm lock permitted. Given the surge in uptake of players using this method I'm even more convinced that governing bodies will be plotting away behind the scenes for future rule changes with this putting method being a target of new/amended rules. I think the push back, especially from tour players, would be unprecedented if this happens and I think the ruling bodies would look a little foolish.

> > >

> > > Something is coming. It’s literally getting to be 1 armlocker in every group now. They won’t let it continue to grow.

> > I hope not! I’ve never been this consistently good with the flat stick. Also, I think there would be major pushback from the pros

> >

>

> I’m not wishing it on ya. I’d vote to repeal the whole anchor ban. But I don’t think pros pushback matters much. They push back against a lot of rule changes. And they still get changed.

Ditto, not wishing it on the players that use the arm lock its just my reading of the way the governing bodies think.

[size=2]Titleist 910D3 8.5°
TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]

> @bladehunter said:

> > @"b.mattay" said:

> > Can’t do it! The position is physically painful on my left wrist and shoulder!

>

> Me too. I literally do not understand how people use it.

Might want to try bending it more upright. When I got mine I couldn't get it to rest on my arm at all. I still need to tweak it, but it's much better.

“Might want to try bending it more upright. When I got mine I couldn't get it to rest on my arm at all. I still need to tweak it, but it's much better.”

This was it for me... mine is 79 degrees, 43 inches long and is perfect now. I am 6’6”...so take that into account...

I use a left hand low grip with my left pointer finger extended down to the end of the putter grip & “feel” like I’m putting with the bottom 3 fingers of my left hand. Best I’ve ever putted.

• Like 1

> @gunmetal said:

> If they try and ban it everyone will point to their own research that concluded that not only didn't they forbid the use of armlock but they RECOMMENDED the use to those who were anchoring in the belly or chest. The USGA isn't the brightest organization, but even they know they can't do that.

After watching the Masters today, I'm not convinced they banned anchoring the full-length broom-style putters to the chest. Were they anchoring to their chest? I couldn't tell if they were or weren't.

Callaway Mavrik Max 10.5°
Callaway XR 16 3 wood
Callaway Mavrik Max 3 thru 5 hybrids
Srixon z565 6 thru PW
48°, 52° & 58° Cleveland CBX wedges
Ping Sigma 2 Kushin C flat stick

All subject to change in the blink of an eye.........and I blink a lot.

I noticed on eBay there is an Odyssey 2-ball center shaft knock off being sold as an arm lock putter. The auction says it has 7° of loft, head weight about 360gr I think, and can be ordered whatever length you want at 42" or less. The price is around $129. Might be an inexpensive way to experiment. I'm not affiliated with the seller in any way. I just saw it on eBay. Has anyone tried one of these?

Callaway Mavrik Max 10.5°
Callaway XR 16 3 wood
Callaway Mavrik Max 3 thru 5 hybrids
Srixon z565 6 thru PW
48°, 52° & 58° Cleveland CBX wedges
Ping Sigma 2 Kushin C flat stick

All subject to change in the blink of an eye.........and I blink a lot.

• 3 months later...

How's all the arm lockers out there? I have a new betti slot back armlock coming in. I rolled a few putts with it and it felt really nice and solid, and holed a ton of putts, so had to order one. Anyone else using the studio stock 28 slot back arm lock?

PING G410 9 Flat(HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5/Ventus Black 7x)
PING G410 14.5 (HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5)
PING G425 LST 14.5 (Speeder Tour Spec 7.2x)

PING G410 17.5 (HZRDUS T1100 85g 6.5)

NIKE Vapor Fly 20* Iron (Modus105x HS)

PING i500 20* iron (DG105x100)

P7TW 3-PW (DGX7)

52 milled grind (DGX7)  / Vokey TVD K 58 (DGX7)
TM Spider Armlock/SIK Armlock

I keep flirting with going back to a regular putter simply because I enjoy the form factor better, but... I can't deny the results. My lag putting is better by orders of magnitude, which means my three putting is down. On short putts, I'm hitting the center of the cup more than I ever have before.

I think it's the lack of anything breaking down in the stroke that is helping my lag putting so much. I might not be the best putter in the world, but my stroke is at least consistent now.

I will say that getting the lie angle and setup right was pretty crucial, and that took some work.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 3L

Srixon ZX 3 hybrid

Ping S55 irons

Bettinardi BB-1W

I bought my Odyssey at the stock 72 degree lie angle and bent it up to 74. That wasn't enough, so I went up to 76. That seems to be the sweet spot for me. I'm 5'9", though I'm not sure what impact height has on lie angle. I went with one inch shorter than standard but could have definitely just ordered at 40 inches and been fine.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 3L

Srixon ZX 3 hybrid

Ping S55 irons

Bettinardi BB-1W

> @MaineMariner said:

> I bought my Odyssey at the stock 72 degree lie angle and bent it up to 74. That wasn't enough, so I went up to 76. That seems to be the sweet spot for me. I'm 5'9", though I'm not sure what impact height has on lie angle. I went with one inch shorter than standard but could have definitely just ordered at 40 inches and been fine.

Appreciate this info. I’m about 5’6” and trying to figure out what might work for me. Any putter bending is a little tough due to my proximity to any builders that I’d be confident in, but it sounds like that’s a key piece especially at my height. I’m thinking of trying an adjustable weight head like an odyssey tank or something and doing as much of the build as I can myself.