How close does $taper play to C-taper?

SwooshLT

They must be the best shafts ever produced at their current retail $$!

Nonetheless I am totally interested as well.

Cobra Aerojet LS Ventus Black 7

Srixon ZX 3w GD AD TP 7

Rogue 5w HZRDUS 

Vsteel 7w OG Kai'li 80
Srixon 785 5-9 PX LZ, 

Cleveland RTX4 PW PX 
SM8 56* PX
Scratch STI 60* S400
default_odyssey-small.jpg.2662364f2ba2433dc522f3b85be695f1.jpg LE PT 10 

Interested as well in getting some info on $taper vs. Ctaper - tennis elbow is upon me and am wondering if there would be a noticeable difference in both feel and distance/dispersion. Thanks!

Titleist TSR3 10* - Tensei 1K White 60TX

Callaway Paradym TD 15* - Mitsubishi Kaili White 70X

TRS2 21* - Hzrdus Black Gen 4 80X

Titleist T100 - Project X 6.5

Titleist Vokey SM 9 48*/53*/58* - Dynamic Gold S400 Onyx

Taylormade Spider X

2023 ProV1X

I've read from many accounts here over the years that no steel will save elbow damage from iron strikes - it all vibrates too much. So, then modern graphite like Recoils are the best option to cover just equipment as a coping mechanism coming off of C-Tapers.

Do you try the KBS Shaft Fit function on their website and see if $-Taper is a decent one for your game? Mine kept coming up with C-Taper Lites.

I went from graphite back to steel, but I changed my grip and swing. FWIW, I believe in the Nippon Modus steel as something that is indeed fine. I just recently started a KBS shaft, in my P790 w/CTL - only one range session so far.

BAG ONE:                                                                                                   BAG TWO:
D - Callaway Rogue ST Max D                                               - Cobra F9 Tour Length  

5 -  Ping G425 Max 5(16.5)                                                    3 -  TEE C721 Pro 3 HL(16.5)

H - Callaway Mav P (18) Titleist TS2 (21)                              H - TM SF 2.0 (18) & (21)

I -  Titleist T300 4                                                                   I -  Taylormade SIM Max 4      
I -  Titleist T100 5-P/MR KK TiNi 105                                     I -  Taylormade P760 5-P/Recoils 110 F4

W - Vokey SM8 52, Vokey SM6 58                                        W - Vokey SM8 52, Vokey SM6 58 
P - Bellum Winmore Midi  787                                                - Guerin TS Black 370

I've read from many accounts here over the years that no steel will save elbow damage from iron strikes - it all vibrates too much. So, then modern graphite like Recoils are the best option to cover just equipment as a coping mechanism coming off of C-Tapers.

Do you try the KBS Shaft Fit function on their website and see if $-Taper is a decent one for your game? Mine kept coming up with C-Taper Lites.

I went from graphite back to steel, but I changed my grip and swing. FWIW, I believe in the Nippon Modus steel as something that is indeed fine. I just recently started a KBS shaft, in my P790 w/CTL - only one range session so far.

I'm not sure their online fitting tool is up to date. I tried like 9 different combo's of things and it just kept spitting KBS Tour and C Tapers at me, just in various flexes.

I've hit pretty much every steel shaft there is now and I'd say the $ Taper is fairly similar to Modus 120. I'm very sensitive to shafts it seems as in fittings last year I couldn't control anything but the modus 120. The $ Taper felt pretty familar and I remember paired up with the Apex Pro... not wanting to leave the store and to keep hitting more shots. If I wanted a stealth look, AP19 Smoke with the Black $ Taper would be a cool build.

Compared to KBS Tour 120 which has always been touted as being smooth, I find the $ Taper even better.

I'm not sure their online fitting tool is up to date. I tried like 9 different combo's of things and it just kept spitting KBS Tour and C Tapers at me, just in various flexes.

I've hit pretty much every steel shaft there is now and I'd say the $ Taper is fairly similar to Modus 120. I'm very sensitive to shafts it seems as in fittings last year I couldn't control anything but the modus 120. The $ Taper felt pretty familar and I remember paired up with the Apex Pro... not wanting to leave the store and to keep hitting more shots. If I wanted a stealth look, AP19 Smoke with the Black $ Taper would be a cool build.

Compared to KBS Tour 120 which has always been touted as being smooth, I find the $ Taper even better.

Great post and I too am very shaft sensitive....modus 120 plays weirdly soft and my demo $taper is in a 3i ....very smooth but looser than I'd like...modus 105 is tighter but not versatile enough.....ctaper is straight line deadly just boardy....

Maybe I'm a ctaper lite kinda guy.....keep it coming

what flex are you using and how has the flight/spin been during the range session?

Here is a KBS Chart that arrays the shafts by launch and spin.

$-Taper gives a bit higher launch and spin than the C-Taper.

(Edit: added more legible chart)

47585555_278913936105314_6999068753097196163_n.jpg?_nc_ht=scontent-sea1-1.cdninstagram.com

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

I can't stand KBS C-Taper but KBS Tour 120 is awesome to me. $-Taper 120 was good and close to KBS Tour 120 but with a bit more stiffness and backbone.

WITB Currently
Titleist TSR2 10*

Callaway Paradym 16.5*

Titleist TSi1 20*

Srixon ZX Utility 23*
Irons - Srixon ZX7 5-PW

Cleveland RTX6 56*, 60*
Piretti Cottonwood II Centershaft/Ping Tyne C

Mizuno K1-L0

Went from C Taper Lite to the $ Taper in X, and I’d describe it as more feel (like DG) with the same “spin cutting” profile and lower launch.

TaylorMade SIM Max 10.5* - Fujikura Ventus Black 7X
TaylorMade M5 15* - Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2TS X
Callaway 815 Alpha Hybrid 21* - Mitsubishi Tensei Pro White 90TX
Miura Baby Blade 4-P - KBS $-Taper X
Miura Wedges - 52*, 56* - KBS $-Taper X
Callaway MD4 Tactical 60*
PXG Darkness Operator

Played Tours first in X then C-Taper in S+, the tour spun to much but felt great the C-Tapers launched low and spun low which was great for my game but I lost a little feel. the $-Tapers came out and they had a similar feel to the tours launched higher than the C-Tapers which helped but didn't balloon on me which is why I got away from the tours. Best of both worlds in my opinion. currently playing $-taper X

• Like 1

PXG 0311 7.5* (set to 6.75*) w/ Mitsubishi Diamana DF 70TX Tipped 0.75" @ 45.25"

TM Original One Mini Driver 13* (set at 11.5*) w/ Mitsubishi Diamana BF 80TX Tipped 1.5" @ 43"
Srixon U45 18* w/ N.S. Pro Modus3 GOST Tour X @ 39.5"
Callaway UW 21* w/ Aldila VS Proto 95X Tipped 1.75" @ 41" / Srixon U45 23* w/ Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour X @ 38.5"

Cobra KING Tour with MIM w/ PX LS 7.0 5-PW / Srixon Z745 5-PW w/ DG TI X7's (PW Tipped 1/4")
Mizuno T22 Denim Copper 50*, 55* & 60* w/ PX LS 7.0 Tipped 3/8" D2, D3 & D5

Putter: Evnroll ER2v

what flex are you using and how has the flight/spin been during the range session?

Swoosh - I'm in the CTL-S, what was recommended. Being that session was kinda small sample size and also the virgin outing with P790s, I can't give much detail other than it is acceptable - compared to only one month into my M5 irons in Modus 105 S. I have hit the CTL higher and spin seems more than Modus 105, but need some course time with "other than range rocks for balls" to compare.

I'm having a jolly time with these two new shafts and heads; never played KBS before but have played alot in Modus 125 R .

BAG ONE:                                                                                                   BAG TWO:
D - Callaway Rogue ST Max D                                               - Cobra F9 Tour Length  

5 -  Ping G425 Max 5(16.5)                                                    3 -  TEE C721 Pro 3 HL(16.5)

H - Callaway Mav P (18) Titleist TS2 (21)                              H - TM SF 2.0 (18) & (21)

I -  Titleist T300 4                                                                   I -  Taylormade SIM Max 4      
I -  Titleist T100 5-P/MR KK TiNi 105                                     I -  Taylormade P760 5-P/Recoils 110 F4

W - Vokey SM8 52, Vokey SM6 58                                        W - Vokey SM8 52, Vokey SM6 58 
P - Bellum Winmore Midi  787                                                - Guerin TS Black 370

Swoosh - I'm in the CTL-S, what was recommended. Being that session was kinda small sample size and also the virgin outing with P790s, I can't give much detail other than it is acceptable - compared to only one month into my M5 irons in Modus 105 S. I have hit the CTL higher and spin seems more than Modus 105, but need some course time with "other than range rocks for balls" to compare.

I'm having a jolly time with these two new shafts and heads; never played KBS before but have played alot in Modus 125 R .

Keep me posted!

47585555_278913936105314_6999068753097196163_n.jpg?_nc_ht=scontent-sea1-1.cdninstagram.com

Thanks ....I guess I'm looking for more of a real ,on course experience....

I've tried most of those shafts(range/course) and that chart is accurate.

Which shaft would you recommend for me then? I love the tightness in which ctaper plays....but that tightness also feels boardy....I'm regular flex ctaper.....so ctaper lite or something else?

Played Tours first in X then C-Taper in S+, the tour spun to much but felt great the C-Tapers launched low and spun low which was great for my game but I lost a little feel. the $-Tapers came out and they had a similar feel to the tours launched higher than the C-Tapers which helped but didn't balloon on me which is why I got away from the tours. Best of both worlds in my opinion. currently playing $-taper X

Have you tried the Tour V by chance? I'm a C-Taper player currently, but have been looking at the $ Taper & Tour Vs before my next fitting.

In the bag:

Ping G410 Plus 9* Tensei Pro White 60TX
Titleist 915F 15* Diamana S+ 80TX
Titleist T-MB 3 Iron AD-DI 95X
Mizuno JPX850 Forged 4 - PW KBS C-Taper
Vokey SM7 52F & 56S S400
Vokey TVD 60M KBS Tour
Bettinardi BB8 
------------------------------------------------------
Backup Putters:
Scotty Detour Newport 2 Conversion / Scotty 5W Weld Neck / Taylormade Spider Tour

I play the tour v now. Came from the c taper. I tried the c taper in stiff but felt like too much. Then tried soft stepping but that didn't fix it. I just could never find my tempo/ swing with them. Dispersion was always good but always seemed to struggle with tying to swing too hard with them. Think it's the way it feels in backswing. Just couldn't feel it load really then tried to speed up at the wrong time on the down swing. That's the best way I can describe it.

Also found I would get some wrist and elbow pain after rounds.

Tour v seems to help cut down my natural high spin like the CT, but feels much better. Find half and 3/4 shots feel much better too.

Just need to be carefully with KBS as they swing weight lighter then other shafts. So you could lose a cpl points if your not carefully.

I went from CTaper Regulars to $Tapers in 115 R+...$-Tapers are the best shaft money can buy.

Did the performance stay the same with just better feel?

The performance was better with the $ Tapers.

I attained a higher launch with about the same spin numbers. The side spin numbers were good enough, I could now work the ball if needed vs having a lot of straight shots with the C Taper.

The feel was infinitely better. I could swing hard and not worry about loose shots and I could ease up on one and get good response from the shaft.

They are playable thru the whole set including wedges. They are an underrated wedge shaft.

They have a nice Black PVD finish.

The best shaft they make....hands down.

I knew of these shafts but had not played them and probably never would have bought them as I assumed they were more or less like C Tapers, which I like but felt like the stiff was a bit too much for me. Had them in blades and I was not launching them. Moved to C Taper Reg plus and a cavity slot club and really worked well. Still, I preferred C Taper Lite X flex, softstepped once. For me to play C Taper stiff, I need a spring-faced iron.

But I now have the $Tapers, which just happened to be in two sets I picked up — Cobra Forged Tec Blacks OL/VL combo and the Bridgestone Tour B X-CPB irons, which were a Japan-only release.

In short, I am loving everything about the $Tapers. They do launch a bit higher and they feel smooth, real smooth. For me, a much better fit than the Modus 120, which is a nice shaft but never have gotten that sweet feel from them others do. It is a shaft that can produce floaty shots for me. Something about the bend profile on the Modus makes it hard for me to feel that shaft.

I have only played two rounds with the $ Tapers and I already can say I would never again take a club with Modus 120’s in them over the $Taper. Definitely my favorite KBS shaft and one of my favorite shafts overall, along with the CTL, the DG 120 lineup, the Nippon 1150, Project X Rifles and Steelfiber 110. Those are the types of shafts I like, to give you an idea.

Took the Bridgestone Tour B/$ Tapers out for a round two days ago and they just played great. Very good day hitting the greens. Had a little wind. The ball went right through it. (Also, the Tour B X-CBP is an outstanding golf club that is so easy to play. Imagine the J15CB with rockets attached to the long and mid irons.)

The $ Taper definitely does not feel as stout as the C Taper, but for me it is not playing soft to flex. I am getting my yardages, they just feel a lot better. To me they feel better than all the shafts I have tried. They are expensive so I had not considered them. Now, any iron that comes with $Taper stiffs in them is what I would look for, but I am going to play these Bridgestones because my first rounds with them have been so promising. It is almost too bad KBS named them $Tapers because they are so different from CTapers in feel. I also struggled with a wrist injury last sunmer (TFCC tear, sidelined for 3 months) and was getting some residual soreness even though it is healed. Felt nothing at all with the $Tapers. If you can test them, they are worth the time. Like I said, never would have played them due to price and assumed similarity to CTaper, but glad I did. Very much its own design. Playing again tomorrow.

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

I knew of these shafts but had not played them and probably never would have bought them as I assumed they were more or less like C Tapers, which I like but felt like the stiff was a bit too much for me. Had them in blades and I was not launching them. Moved to C Taper Reg plus and a cavity slot club and really worked well. Still, I preferred C Taper Lite X flex, softstepped once. For me to play C Taper stiff, I need a spring-faced iron.

But I now have the $Tapers, which just happened to be in two sets I picked up — Cobra Forged Tec Blacks OL/VL combo and the Bridgestone Tour B X-CPB irons, which were a Japan-only release.

In short, I am loving everything about the $Tapers. They do launch a bit higher and they feel smooth, real smooth. For me, a much better fit than the Modus 120, which is a nice shaft but never have gotten that sweet feel from them others do. It is a shaft that can produce floaty shots for me. Something about the bend profile on the Modus makes it hard for me to feel that shaft.

I have only played two rounds with the $ Tapers and I already can say I would never again take a club with Modus 120’s in them over the $Taper. Definitely my favorite KBS shaft and one of my favorite shafts overall, along with the CTL, the DG 120 lineup, the Nippon 1150, Project X Rifles and Steelfiber 110. Those are the types of shafts I like, to give you an idea.

Took the Bridgestone Tour B/$ Tapers out for a round two days ago and they just played great. Very good day hitting the greens. Had a little wind. The ball went right through it. (Also, the Tour B X-CBP is an outstanding golf club that is so easy to play. Imagine the J15CB with rockets attached to the long and mid irons.)

The $ Taper definitely does not feel as stout as the C Taper, but for me it is not playing soft to flex. I am getting my yardages, they just feel a lot better. To me they feel better than all the shafts I have tried. They are expensive so I had not considered them. Now, any iron that comes with $Taper stiffs in them is what I would look for, but I am going to play these Bridgestones because my first rounds with them have been so promising. It is almost too bad KBS named them $Tapers because they are so different from CTapers in feel. I also struggled with a wrist injury last sunmer (TFCC tear, sidelined for 3 months) and was getting some residual soreness even though it is healed. Felt nothing at all with the $Tapers. If you can test them, they are worth the time. Like I said, never would have played them due to price and assumed similarity to CTaper, but glad I did. Very much its own design. Playing again tomorrow.

Great response and I'll need to try again soon.....

$-Taper launch a little higher than the C-Tapers but the ball flight flattens out quickly; its a really nice flight. The $-Tapers feels much better than the C-Tapers.

They are closer in feel to the KBS Tour with a little more spin and slightly higher launch than the C-Taper.

I tend to play X in my irons, but I have the $-Tapers 120 Stiff in a set of 2013 X-Forged and they perform very well. Flight is easy to control and I can swing hard without feeling as though I'm overpowering the shaft. I'm getting older and a little slower so that may have something to do with that, haha.

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Tensei AV Raw White 65X

PXG Gen 6 0311 15* - Aldila Tour Blue 75X

PXG  Gen 5 0311 19* - Aldila Tour Blue 85X

PXG 0311T Gen 5 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

The Tour V is much closer in performance to the C Taper than the $ Taper and it’s much more affordable.

Similar Low spin with a higher launch and feels much nicer than C Taper.. There are heavier 125 S+ and 130 X tour spec versions available if needed.

I’ve owened all of them. $ Taper are unequivocally not worth the steep price in my opinion. I’d only get them if they were included as a stock shaft.

The $ Taper is basically a KBS Tour with a bit less spin. That is not a bad thing, it’s just not worth $55 a shaft to me.

The base C-Taper had become the KBS equivalent of Project X 6.0 -- a more robust shaft than people think it is.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

Which shaft would you recommend for me then? I love the tightness in which ctaper plays....but that tightness also feels boardy....I'm regular flex ctaper.....so ctaper lite or something else?

Tour V would be the next step "up" if you want to raise flight without adding much spin. I played tour V in ping S55's for a few years. I play $-taper in '18 callaway x-forged now.