2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Carte Blanche anywhere in world - where's the best bang for buck golf location?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After spending 8 days in St Andrews last summer, I dont think there is any place else in the world that is better bang for your buck golf wise. And I'm talking high quality, world class golf that is bang for your buck. It cost us less than half of what a trip to Bandon would have cost.

Tons of historical and toursity stuff to do. We didn't do any of it but its definitely there if you want it. Plus IMO St Andrews was an amazing town to spend the week in. Bonus - there is more local golf within a 5 minute drive than you can play in 8-10 days even if you played twice a day. To say nothing of if you "stretched" your driving radius to 30-45 minutes.

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Kaili Red 75s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TBD - TM P7MC // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

Dominican Republic offers a good golf and nice beaches. Teeth of the Dog, Dye Fore, Corales and Punta Espada are all within 45 minutes of each other and you will be pressed to find better golf. Punta Cana nightlife is nice and the beaches are beautiful. You can also drive a few hours north and relax in Samaná which has the best beaches on the island. Direct flights from multiple US cities.

EBR

Just returned from a 12 day trip to Australia that included Melbourne, King Island, Tasmania, Sydney. Best of my life. Although the courses have memberships they are open to outside play. I'll post my review in another thread.

I've read caddies are $2/day in Nepal. I've been really wanting to visit Himalayan Golf Course.

Seems like a place Matt Kuchar might enjoy

That is funny!!!!

Just returned from a 12 day trip to Australia that included Melbourne, King Island, Tasmania, Sydney. Best of my life. Although the courses have memberships they are open to outside play. I'll post my review in another thread.

I've read caddies are $2/day in Nepal. I've been really wanting to visit Himalayan Golf Course.

That is funny!!!!

Strong work with the Kuchar comment!!!!! ?

I’m guess the $2 ball boy is a caddie? Anyone actually been there? Shoe rentals cost more than a ball boy

That is funny!!!!

I'm guess the $2 ball boy is a caddie? Anyone actually been there? Shoe rentals cost more than a ball boy

Here's a really cool video I watched about this specific course. Actually tempted to try plan to get out there

[media=]

[/media]

That is funny!!!!

I'm guess the $2 ball boy is a caddie? Anyone actually been there? Shoe rentals cost more than a ball boy

Here's a really cool video I watched about this specific course. Actually tempted to try plan to get out there

[media=]

[/media]

This course is near the top of my want to play list. Ever since Tom Doak told me it was the "world's only 11"! Looks incredible. Long trip though obviously!

FREE AGENT CLUB HO NO MO!
Ari Techner
National Custom Works nationalcustomworks.com
[email protected]
IG: @nationalcustom
Twitter: @WorksNational
(still a huge club HO)

• 3 weeks later...

I played the Himalayan course in Nepal.

Utterly incredible experience, the clip above captures it very well. I even met the course designer that they speak to! He came out of nowhere while I was in mid-round and asked me what I thought of the course then disappeared again. I had no idea who he was until just now.

There was exactly one other player on the course. Our paths crossed, we high-fived and went our separate ways without a word being spoken. Any conversation would have been superfluous.

Even though the course was virtually empty it took me around five hours to play as there were numerous rest breaks.

As well as a caddy I had a ball spotter. A young boy who ran ahead of me and tried to find the ball

There is another course in Pokara, a nine-holer called the Yeti. It's basically an overgrown paddock but has the two most frightening holes I have ever played. They were near identical, short Par 3's. you walk onto a tee box, a tiny spit of land and try to hit the ball across a canyon. If you tumbled from those tiny spits of land it would mean certain death. I am not being melodramatic. It was a long way down and it was straight down. While I was playing those two holes all I could think was the next days headline in my hometown newspaper "Australian Golfer Killed in Nepal Trying to Hit Ball 90 Metres"

That aside, anyone thinking of visiting Nepal should absolutely do it. You will never, ever forget it.

I played the Himalayan course in Nepal.

Utterly incredible experience, the clip above captures it very well. I even met the course designer that they speak to! He came out of nowhere while I was in mid-round and asked me what I thought of the course then disappeared again. I had no idea who he was until just now.

There was exactly one other player on the course. Our paths crossed, we high-fived and went our separate ways without a word being spoken. Any conversation would have been superfluous.

Even though the course was virtually empty it took me around five hours to play as there were numerous rest breaks.

As well as a caddy I had a ball spotter. A young boy who ran ahead of me and tried to find the ball

There is another course in Pokara, a nine-holer called the Yeti. It's basically an overgrown paddock but has the two most frightening holes I have ever played. They were near identical, short Par 3's. you walk onto a tee box, a tiny spit of land and try to hit the ball across a canyon. If you tumbled from those tiny spits of land it would mean certain death. I am not being melodramatic. It was a long way down and it was straight down. While I was playing those two holes all I could think was the next days headline in my hometown newspaper "Australian Golfer Killed in Nepal Trying to Hit Ball 90 Metres"

That aside, anyone thinking of visiting Nepal should absolutely do it. You will never, ever forget it.

Awesome!!!!! It's on my list and will play it sometime for sure. Thanks for posting as it made Doak's gourmet's choice in the last confidential guide.

To get to Pokhara you have to first stop at Kathmandu. There are two courses there Royal Nepal and Gokarna Forest

Royal Nepal is in the centre of town, At times you get the strange experience of having passers-by loaded up with their shopping stop and watch you as you attempt to chip the ball onto the green. That's more pressure than I can handle!

It's not a great course. I made the mistake of playing it on a Saturday afternoon and it was packed beyond belief, balls whizzing everywhere. I spent nine holes ducking constantly, I myself almost killed someone when I saw a head pop up right in front of me just as I let fly with a full blooded drive.

The other course, Gokarna Forest, is a bit out of town a bit but well worth the trip as it is surprisingly beautiful. From memory this photo was the doglegged fourth fairway.

I believe there are five courses in Nepal and I played four of them. Two in Kathmandu and two in Pokhara. The fifth was miles away in another town altogether so I didn't bother with it

You should consider Banff Alberta in Canada. Not quite as out there as some of the other suggestions but great golf, beautiful and and our US dollar goes a long way up there. You would likely want to wait until June at the earliest to go though.

Callaway Sub Zero, Oban Kiyoshi Purple Tour Reserve
Ping SF Tech 16*
Titleist 816H1 21*
Titleist 913H 24*
Callaway Razr MB 5-PW
Vokey SM7 52*, 56*, 60*
Spider X Copper

You should consider Banff Alberta in Canada. Not quite as out there as some of the other suggestions but great golf, beautiful and and our US dollar goes a long way up there. You would likely want to wait until June at the earliest to go though.

I actually have a friend that lives up there!!! Now just need all the snow to melt. Didn't factor in that it might actually be affordable, so that's a nice surprise!! THanks for the tip