New TP5 and TP5X

jwb10

So how would either of these two compare to the Wilson Staff FG tour ball?

If the TP5's were at the top of the page in a performance ranking... Way down towards the bottom of that page would be the FG ball.

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM2 52º cc, SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

I was really excited to finally try the TP5 and TP5X this past week....but probably not a good test as I tried playing on a rain soaked course with sustained 25-30 mph winds, gusting up to 50 at times. It was so windy even down wind shots were getting knocked out of the air.

Stealth 2 9* w/Ventus TR Blue
SIM 3 wood w/Ventus TR Blue
SIM UDI

P790 4 iron 
P770 5-PW
Hi Toe 3 50/54/58
SC Phantom 11.5
TP5X 

• 2 weeks later...

Late to the party,but:

First time out with the 2019 TP5 yesterday. And I like ! Convinced already that I made the right choice In not getting the X version - as this feels firm enough for me.

Good flight with zero ballooning issues (Not hugely windy yesterday though), plenty of distance and no issues with too much spin on short irons - but the greens had clearly been sanded reasonably recently and weren’t 100%.

Longevity seems pretty good too. Ball deffo had one bounce off a tree, and went into the woods once too. Also saw plenty of 8 iron down action in its 18 holes. Still looks pretty fresh though - with only two significant scuffs / scuff areas of any sort and just one tiny slightly discoloured area of ‘tree rub’....

The fact I birdied the last; for -1 on the first of a 3 day trip away in the Kent area of the U.K. might be clouding my judgement though :D

But with two more days golf ahead - I will use this one until ‘destruction’ to see how it lasts ! Hopefully can get more pics later - although I’m not sure how many golfers using premium balls like this would reasonably use for more than 18 holes in competitive circumstances anyway - so not sure if it’s truly relevant as such. Possibly interesting though....

kchfawpy7lc1.jpeg

t488foacxpep.jpeg

6cumupko7ebl.jpeg

• Like 1

PING - G20 - 9.5  degree - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
BRIDGESTONE J33 (15) - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
MIZUNO Fli-Hi (17+20) - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
PING  ZING2 Irons (4-PW) - Black Lie angle - JZ Stiff
CALLAWAY MD3 Black (52+58 deg) DG Pro: S300
RIFE Iconic Three Putter -  343g  / 34.5" / 68 Deg 

TAYLORMADE TP5-X Yellow << 2021 Version >>

Regards "Shuv" : sevenfourate's WITB LINK (Click right here):

36 holes in and the TP5 still miraculously survives. Goodness knows how - as it seen some action today inc quite a few wedges, more than a couple of trees and a solid landing on a concrete cart path.

Likely looks better in pics than reality. The two large scuff areas either side of the TP5 logo (I align wherever possible - and it’s still pick and place in the fairway here in the UK) are more than I’d care for even as a casual play ball.

I’d be using this for shag-bag only. Still flew ok though to be fair: and I think it’s more than you could expect from a premium ‘soft’ ball.

I love it. TP Red LDP good ? Steady on ! :D

m3mpvqc8jarr.jpeg

h9itwce1wy8y.jpeg

9a9hbnt92sog.jpeg

played the new TP5x this past weekend -- while not a huge jump from last model, it felt a bit firmer off putter and driver. could've been the weather but, i'm glad i bought a few dozen from last year.

PING G430 LST / 9* (dialed to 10.5*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Dark Speed LS / 3w (dialed to 15.5*) / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

First round with new TP5x today. Having played TP5x for last couple years, was a little worried about a whim 2 box purchase. Fortunately the new model still has all the same great qualities. Wonderful putter feel, soft feel on full shots, nice sound off driver, great distance. Impressive durability, quality look. Holds the line in wind. Nice spin into greens. If you like the old model, see no reason why you won't like the new.

TaylorMade M5 / Callaway Mavrik 3W / Maltby KE4 FDI 19 / Callaway Mavrik Pro 3H / Maltby TS1 4-GW / Callaway MD2 56 / Odyssey Double Wide / Titleist Pro V1

> @gioguy21 said:

> played the new TP5x this past weekend -- while not a huge jump from last model, it felt a bit firmer off putter and driver. could've been the weather but, i'm glad i bought a few dozen from last year.

Played for the first time today with the 2019 model, and couldn’t agree more. The performance seemed to be there, but I did seem to have more green side spin with mid and short iron approaches which I actually am trying to avoid. That, and completely agree with the firmer feeling as I much prefer the 2018 model.

> @sevenfourate said:

> Late to the party,but:

>

> First time out with the 2019 TP5 yesterday. And I like ! Convinced already that I made the right choice In not getting the X version - as this feels firm enough for me.

>

> Good flight with zero ballooning issues (Not hugely windy yesterday though), plenty of distance and no issues with too much spin on short irons - but the greens had clearly been sanded reasonably recently and weren’t 100%.

>

> Longevity seems pretty good too. Ball deffo had one bounce off a tree, and went into the woods once too. Also saw plenty of 8 iron down action in its 18 holes. Still looks pretty fresh though - with only two significant scuffs / scuff areas of any sort and just one tiny slightly discoloured area of ‘tree rub’....

>

> The fact I birdied the last; for -1 on the first of a 3 day trip away in the Kent area of the U.K. might be clouding my judgement though :D

> But with two more days golf ahead - I will use this one until ‘destruction’ to see how it lasts ! Hopefully can get more pics later - although I’m not sure how many golfers using premium balls like this would reasonably use for more than 18 holes in competitive circumstances anyway - so not sure if it’s truly relevant as such. Possibly interesting though....

>

> kchfawpy7lc1.jpeg

> t488foacxpep.jpeg

> 6cumupko7ebl.jpeg

>

>

Nice photo - what course?

• Like 2

> @Tanner25 said:

> > @sevenfourate said:

> > Late to the party,but:

> >

> > First time out with the 2019 TP5 yesterday. And I like ! Convinced already that I made the right choice In not getting the X version - as this feels firm enough for me.

> >

> > Good flight with zero ballooning issues (Not hugely windy yesterday though), plenty of distance and no issues with too much spin on short irons - but the greens had clearly been sanded reasonably recently and weren’t 100%.

> >

> > Longevity seems pretty good too. Ball deffo had one bounce off a tree, and went into the woods once too. Also saw plenty of 8 iron down action in its 18 holes. Still looks pretty fresh though - with only two significant scuffs / scuff areas of any sort and just one tiny slightly discoloured area of ‘tree rub’....

> >

> > The fact I birdied the last; for -1 on the first of a 3 day trip away in the Kent area of the U.K. might be clouding my judgement though :D

> > But with two more days golf ahead - I will use this one until ‘destruction’ to see how it lasts ! Hopefully can get more pics later - although I’m not sure how many golfers using premium balls like this would reasonably use for more than 18 holes in competitive circumstances anyway - so not sure if it’s truly relevant as such. Possibly interesting though....

> >

> > kchfawpy7lc1.jpeg

> > t488foacxpep.jpeg

> > 6cumupko7ebl.jpeg

> >

> >

>

> Nice photo - what course?

Westerham, Kent, England.

Yes it was really nice for early season.......

• Like 1

I got a chance to test the new 2019 TP5x vs old 2017 TP5x version on the course today. I played both balls side by side on each shot. It was 50 degree with 15-17mph winds, so it was not very warm, but I got to see how they performed in the wind. I don’t have my TS3 yet so of the tee I used my 917 4 wood. I’m a 5 hdcp for reference.

Feel - woods/hybrids 2019 feels more solid almost a hotter, like the ball is coming back to its shape faster. The 2017 I could feel it was softer but not as hot off the face. Irons the 2019 again feels more solid but could not feel a ton of difference here. Wedges, again solid and softer feel. The 2017 here seem to jump off of the face on chips around the green, where the 2019 didn’t have a jump so i was able to control it better. Never did the 2019 feel hard by any means.

The putter again it just feels more solid than the 2017. The 2017 feels lighter and a little harder to control. I had to hit the putt a little softer because it would jump off the face faster. The 2019 I could put a normal stroke on the putt and it came off feeling exactly how I hit it. I feel like I could be more aggressive with the 2019 and not feel like I was going to blow it by the hole.

Distance - woods/hybrid the 2019 was consistently further but only by 3-5 yards. I think this was from the faster ball speed and having that feeling if like the ball was coming back to shape faster. Irons, only saw a few more yards on good strikes but this was hard to really tell. Into the wind with irons the 2019 did seem to loose a little distance, like before it’s really hard to tell.

Launch/spin - launch was lower on the 2019 off of everything but not a lot. Woods/hybrids the spin did seem lower but no data to back it up. Irons, again no data but measuring from the ball mark to the ball the 2019 was stopping faster. I had three greens I hit with difference clubs for each hole and both balls hit right near each other and I could clearly see that the 2019 stopped faster. Wedges around the green the 2019 stopped a little faster but not like higher spin ball, so don’t expect this ball to have a hard check like the TP5. I play for more run out and these still stopped a little faster which was something I did enjoy. Wind play, it does seem like the 2019 spins more into the wind, side wind both 2017 and 2019 moved about the same.

Durability is never really a check point I look for in ball. I buy 3 dozen a year and unless it has a major gash in it then I will still play it. The rough ones will go into play in a non-competitive rounds or long carry par 3 that I might loose a ball. None of the balls I played today had any issues. I mostly look for feel and how it fits my game durability is not important to me.

If you want to know anything more let me know.

Dr: TSi3 10 Ventus Red 6s

F: TS2 16.5 Ventus Red 7s

H: 915h 18 and 24 diamana s+

I: P770 5-PW Steelfiber i95s

W: MG3 49, 54, 58 dg115

P: Scotty Cameron Flowback 5.5 w/      custom CT Tour shaft (custom red,white,blue paint fill with stars & stripes headcover)

B: BX / TP5X 

My thoughts without leaving a long review at this time. Been using the 17’ TP5X since it has been out. Just recently tried the the new ball. I can say it is a better version in my opinion. It may be just a touch firmer than previous but I do see more short game spin. I do not see any visual launch or spin differences. Slightly tweaked and better imho.

• Qi10- Kai’li White 60TX
  • Tsi3 5W -  Tensei White 70X
  • P790 3I - AD DI
  • P7TW 4-PW -  $ Taper
  • MG4 52 - 58 - $ Taper
  • GoodWood 
  • TP5X

It's definitely entertaining to see the popularity of the balls. I was at the Golfmart this weekend and their stock available is maybe 5 or so TP5x and a few more TP5 regular next to it. TP5 Pix can't seem to make it off the truck fast enough. People are buying them quick quick quick. Haven't seen too many in play at Torrey. The fellow I played with at the Crossings was using a TP5 and liked it.

It's a popular ball and getting a lot of love. But so are those new Yellow ProV1s. I think TM is due for the yellow release of their Tour ball.

• Like 1

Agreed, the only thing left to do to the TP5 balls is to make them in yellow.

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Ping PLD Ally Blue 4

Titleist Pro V1x

I play off a 6 and have a pretty good short game. I'm not long but can get it up and down from inside 75 yards pretty well. I typically play at a 9 hole course with split tees and fast greens. This is my TP5X experiment.

I tried to like the TP5X. I bought a dozen when I ordered my spider X. Then a couple days later they started their promo so I ordered 4 dozen more for the season. Of course this was before it warmed up and I hadn't had a chance to try any from the first dozen. Liked the idea of the ball and thought I would give it a try. I have played Pro V1 or Pro V1x for as long as they have been out. It finally started to warm up and I got to play in a St Pats scramble. The ball performed fine. Good distance and decent spin on full shots. It was hard to gauge as it was the first round in a few months. I kept playing the ball and played it along side the pro v1 shot for shot for a few rounds. Everything seemed comparable to me except for shots from 60 yards and in. I couldn't seem to spin the ball the same as the pro v and it would consistently roll out 5 yards past my target. The pro v would hop and stop. The final straw for me was last weekend. I hit the ball better than I have in the last 5 years. Even with that I missed 3 greens on the front side. We have pretty small and undulating greens with false fronts and drop off on the sides. I could not get the feel for the ball. I would be long by 10 feet on one chip and short on the next. Then on a par 5 from 60 yards I hit a wedge that lands 10 yards short of the flag takes a big bounce and rolls to the back edge 25 feet past the hole. Two holes later the same thing. I switched to a pro v on the second 9. When I got to that par 5 I dropped a ball down in the same spot and hit a shot with similar flight that landed near the previous spot. It stops dead pin high. I also was able to chip the ball close when I missed the greens on the fringe.

I'm sure most of this is just comfort with the pro v. I am not knocking the TP5X at all. It just does not fit my game. That's my 2¢

I forgot to add that I got lucky and found a college player that loves the TP5X and was happy to buy my stock at a very college friendly price. 4 dozen pro v1x on their way.

[color=#0000cd]Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9deg w/HZRDUS Smoke
Callaway Epic Flash 15deg
Callaway Apex 3H
Callaway Rogue Pro 4-AW
Vokey SM7 54S & 58D
Taylormade Spider X[/color]
[color=#0000cd]TP5X[/color]

I’m confused. Are the ProV1 = TP5x? And ProV1x= TP5?

I swear I saw that on the Snell sight

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

> @Minarets said:

> I’m confused. Are the ProV1 = TP5x? And ProV1x= TP5?

>

> I swear I saw that on the Snell sight

Yeah, that’s how the balls seem to be matching up this generation.

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Ping PLD Ally Blue 4

Titleist Pro V1x

> @arzee2 said:

> I play off a 6 and have a pretty good short game. I'm not long but can get it up and down from inside 75 yards pretty well. I typically play at a 9 hole course with split tees and fast greens. This is my TP5X experiment.

>

> I tried to like the TP5X. I bought a dozen when I ordered my spider X. Then a couple days later they started their promo so I ordered 4 dozen more for the season. Of course this was before it warmed up and I hadn't had a chance to try any from the first dozen. Liked the idea of the ball and thought I would give it a try. I have played Pro V1 or Pro V1x for as long as they have been out. It finally started to warm up and I got to play in a St Pats scramble. The ball performed fine. Good distance and decent spin on full shots. It was hard to gauge as it was the first round in a few months. I kept playing the ball and played it along side the pro v1 shot for shot for a few rounds. Everything seemed comparable to me except for shots from 60 yards and in. I couldn't seem to spin the ball the same as the pro v and it would consistently roll out 5 yards past my target. The pro v would hop and stop. The final straw for me was last weekend. I hit the ball better than I have in the last 5 years. Even with that I missed 3 greens on the front side. We have pretty small and undulating greens with false fronts and drop off on the sides. I could not get the feel for the ball. I would be long by 10 feet on one chip and short on the next. Then on a par 5 from 60 yards I hit a wedge that lands 10 yards short of the flag takes a big bounce and rolls to the back edge 25 feet past the hole. Two holes later the same thing. I switched to a pro v on the second 9. When I got to that par 5 I dropped a ball down in the same spot and hit a shot with similar flight that landed near the previous spot. It stops dead pin high. I also was able to chip the ball close when I missed the greens on the fringe.

> I'm sure most of this is just comfort with the pro v. I am not knocking the TP5X at all. It just does not fit my game. That's my 2¢

>

> I forgot to add that I got lucky and found a college player that loves the TP5X and was happy to buy my stock at a very college friendly price. 4 dozen pro v1x on their way.

Tests like yours do not make sense. Subconsciously your whole golf game rests on the ProV1, no matter what you will never like any other ball.

The tests are tainted before they begin.

Your subconscious will make you hit the competitor ball worse . And playing 2 balls in general is never a “Real” environment. 1 ball, 1 round is all that matters .

To have a true test you would need a 3rd party company to send out unbranded balls, just identifying mark’s to plug into their App or website once your round is over.