Ping i210/i500 driving iron recommendation

shredNECTAR

First post for myself here and just wanted to say that I am STOKED to be here. Plenty of great insight and great to finally be a member of the forum after being a creeper for the last few years. I wanted to start by saying that I am currently in the scenario of about to buy my second set of irons. I got fit for the ping i210 4-UW. I always liked having a driving iron in the bag and in my current set up I have both the Mizuno MP18 MMC fli-hi 2 and 3 iron. Plan on getting rid of both of them because I would prefer to go with either Ping i500 standard or Powerloft, or just get the Ping i210 3 Iron with the set. The reason being I just don't like the look of the Mizuno down at the ball and wouldn't want to manipulate the shaft or lie angle if I plan on getting rid of them. So my questions are the following..

1. Ping i500 standard/powerloft 3 iron owners- Did you feel you needed a lighter shaft to get more distance in the 3 iron, almost like the shafts you see in todays driving irons or did if you use the shaft you had in your set and felt no loss of distance?

2. Ping i210 3 iron owners- Would you prefer a lighter shaft to get more out of the 3 iron, if distance, and punching out of bad situations is what you value vs. having a 3 iron that is just gapped perfectly with your set?

3. Please provide 7 iron distances with 3 Iron distances so I could somewhat determine what would be my best course of action between the two clubs. Also specify powerloft/standardloft settings and if you changed iron shaft to go with 3 iron.

Mizuno 16.5 deg 2iron 240-255yd with very low ball flight (best case scenario)

Mizuno 19 deg 3 iron, 235-240yds

I currently game Ping g25 stiff shafts 110g, 7iron distance 175-180.

Ping i210 shafts i was fitted for Project x lz 6.0 120g, 7 iron distance 165. - 1/2in

What I am ideally looking for is a solid 3 iron off the tee with a higher penetrating ballflight (unlike my current 2iron set up). Also a club I could use to punch out of sticky situations and still get me that approach distance I need after hitting a bad tee shot on a long hole.

Really appreciate it fellas

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a bent i500 3i that is at 17 I believe. Now that thing is a rocket, but a very low launching rocket. Feel is fantastic and very forgiving. You are probably a much higher SS than I am, but I can push it out there around 225 carry. My 4i is about 205, 5i is about 190, 6i is about 180, and 7i is about 165. Now I have all of my lofts slightly adjusted to allow for decent gappings. I used to use a Fli-Hi MMC as well but had that bent to 14.5 and I just couldn't carry it that far. I would get about 200-205 carry but it was very controllable for me. i500 is better all around so if you can hit the Fli-Hi, I think you could easily get along with an i500. Other than the hot faces, I prefer the i500s to the i200s all around. Feels like cheating when I hit them.

TM M4 8.5 Atmos Red

TM Original One Mini 13.5 Diamana F

TM Sim TI 5 wood Diamana F

Sub 70 TAIII 4&5 KBS $-Taper Lite

Sub 70 649 6-P KBS $-Taper Lite

Sub 70 286 50,54 KBS $-Taper Lite

Edel D-Grind 58 KBS Tour Rev 2.0

LAB Directed Force 2.1 73* 

Appreciate the reply. I def hit my MP18 fli-hi 16.5 degree 2 iron on the low side and would want the added loft. I feel like the i500 3 iron regular spec at 18 would be the perfect launch for me. What shaft did they fit you in? Also would you rather have a lighter shaft in that 3 iron, then the one that belonged with your set?

I have the same shaft that is in the rest of my irons. I just cut it down 1/2 inch or so. I have the Ping AWT 2.0 in mine so it might be a little lighter than a standard 3 iron as well. Either way it is really working for me.

TM M4 8.5 Atmos Red

TM Original One Mini 13.5 Diamana F

TM Sim TI 5 wood Diamana F

Sub 70 TAIII 4&5 KBS $-Taper Lite

Sub 70 649 6-P KBS $-Taper Lite

Sub 70 286 50,54 KBS $-Taper Lite

Edel D-Grind 58 KBS Tour Rev 2.0

LAB Directed Force 2.1 73* 

I played the i500s for a couple of months. The 3 iron replaced my 3 wood.

For reference, I typically hit my 7 iron (MP18 blade) 165-170. 3 iron in that same set is 205-210.

I dropped an i500 4 iron to 4 feet from 229 and hit the green with the 3 iron from 242 on a par 5. (Thanks for the passive brag opportunity). I used the same iron shaft in the 3 as I had in the rest of my set (Modus 105x).

I found the i500sto be ridiculously long on full swings. Perfect long iron replacements,IMO. Just be careful if you are trying to fit certain gaps. You might find that you need a 5 iron for a particular gap,even if you are replacing a 3 iron.

• 7 months later...

> @shredNECTAR said:

shred - Was searching for info on driving irons vs ping long irons and wham your post pretty much mimics my questions/line of thinking, plus your 7 iron distances match mine exactly (with the same difference in G vs i series). So, as it's been many months ago, can I ask for a follow up? Specifically,

What driving irons and set long irons did you experiment with? (club and shaft)

What were the average carry/total distances, max carry/total, and fairway % with each? (guesstimates if you are not a stats-keeper)

What were your conclusions? (generally with driving irons, and specifically with the i500 vs i210 set 3irons)

Thanks!!

LTDx 10.5 + Velocore blue 7S 

M6 3h + Diamana blue 8S

0311P 4i + SFi95cwS

i210 5i-7i + SFi110cwS

921Tour 8i-G + SFi110cwS 

SM8 52F/RTX 56S/Jaws 60J + Recoil Proto Wedge F4 

QB7

TP5X 

> @glofer said:

> > @shredNECTAR said:

>

> shred - Was searching for info on driving irons vs ping long irons and wham your post pretty much mimics my questions/line of thinking, plus your 7 iron distances match mine exactly (with the same difference in G vs i series). So, as it's been many months ago, can I ask for a follow up? Specifically,

>

> What driving irons and set long irons did you experiment with? (club and shaft)

> What were the average carry/total distances, max carry/total, and fairway % with each? (guesstimates if you are a stats-keeper)

> What were your conclusions? (generally with driving irons, as specifically with the i500 vs i210 set 3irons)

>

> Thanks!!

>

I carry an i500 3 iron and 4 iron with my s55 irons, so not the perfect comparisons, but here are my distances. The shafts are dynamic gold x100's.

s55 24* 4 iron: 215

i500 23* 4 iron: 225-230 with a much higher ball flight

i500 19* 3 iron: 245-250

To me the s55 4 iron had better distance control and accuracy when struck well, but it was less forgiving. Also, a little more difficult to stop on the greens. As far hitting fairways I probably hit more fairways with the s55, but get better distance out of the i500, especially on mishits.

> @gopherlover said:

> I carry an i500 3 iron and 4 iron with my s55 irons, so not the perfect comparisons, but here are my distances. The shafts are dynamic gold x100's.

> s55 24* 4 iron: 215

> i500 23* 4 iron: 225-230 with a much higher ball flight

> i500 19* 3 iron: 245-250

>

> To me the s55 4 iron had better distance control and accuracy when struck well, but it was less forgiving. Also, a little more difficult to stop on the greens. As far hitting fairways I probably hit more fairways with the s55, but get better distance out of the i500, especially on mishits.

Good info, gopherlover, thanks. Have you hit any specific driving irons; if so, which ones and how did those compare in distance / fairways hit to your i500 3 iron?

M6 3h + Diamana blue 8S

0311P 4i + SFi95cwS

i210 5i-7i + SFi110cwS

921Tour 8i-G + SFi110cwS 

QB7

TP5X 

> @glofer said:

> > @gopherlover said:

> > I carry an i500 3 iron and 4 iron with my s55 irons, so not the perfect comparisons, but here are my distances. The shafts are dynamic gold x100's.

> > s55 24* 4 iron: 215

> > i500 23* 4 iron: 225-230 with a much higher ball flight

> > i500 19* 3 iron: 245-250

> >

> > To me the s55 4 iron had better distance control and accuracy when struck well, but it was less forgiving. Also, a little more difficult to stop on the greens. As far hitting fairways I probably hit more fairways with the s55, but get better distance out of the i500, especially on mishits.

>

> Good info, gopherlover, thanks. Have you hit any specific driving irons; if so, which ones and how did those compare in distance / fairways hit to your i500 3 iron?

>

>

I've demoed other driving irons, but I don't have a lot of experience with them, but I picked the i500 mostly because it is the most iron like in it's shape of the hollow irons and I wanted something with a more iron like profile. I think all things being equal you will get equal distance with an i500 vs most other DI's, but the trade-off for the smaller and thinner profile is that the i500 might be a little less forgiving. A lot of the driving irons have stuff sticking out of the back when you look down on it while the i500 does not. The biggest thing would putting a steel vs. graphite shaft in it. Are you looking for a long iron with more help/distance than the 3 or 4 iron you are currently playing? Or are you looking for something that performs like a fairway wood with an iron like profile. I wanted the former and getting the i500's in the same shaft and lie angle has hit the spot.

> @gopherlover said:

gopherlover - I am looking for something to hit off the tee that will hit fairways at a higher % than a fairway wood, but will go further than my set 4 iron. That is what shredNectar was looking for when he created the post so I jumped in hoping he would respond with his findings. I have always been a Ping guy so was drawn to the i500 3iron like shred (and you). I'll DM shred in case he doesn't get notifications of new comments.

Your distances, gopherlover, and similar to mine (and shred's), so I appreciate your comments very much. I have a Ping G 4iron that I carry 225 off the tee., rolls 5-25 after that depending on conditions. I am hopeful to find something longer (I don't have a 3 - yet) that hits fairways consistently like the 4iron (i.e. more consistently than a 3 wood) since I have an open spot at the top end of my bag. Not a hybrid or 5wood (trajectory too high, for me at least). Hence DI or set 3 iron.

I've tried the P790 UDI - too low trajectory for my taste (like a 2 iron).

I've tried the GAPR Lo and Mid - both better trajectory (low-mid), similar traj for me despite the names, both avg ~260 off tee (total, not carry), max to 275 for me, so the leader in clubhouse for me.

Need to get an i500 3iron for on-course performance testing, proving difficult; so interested in shred's experiences.

Also interested in testing the X Forged Utility.

Your i500 # are telling, gopherlover, even though you haven't tested a DI on course. Probably indicative of mine, i.e. 250y, right between the 4iron and GAPR. What I'm uncertain of is fairways hit. Which brings me back to shred's experiences. And of course me getting one out on the course. Thanks, gopherlover.

M6 3h + Diamana blue 8S

0311P 4i + SFi95cwS

i210 5i-7i + SFi110cwS

921Tour 8i-G + SFi110cwS 

QB7

TP5X 

I'd be shocked if you don't find the 410 Crossover is a better all around option over i500 3i

Why take a spot in the bag rendering hitting put of long rough impossible? Crossover will be through the ruff much easier

9 Clubs Sunday Bag

UST Mamiya - Lamkin - RXS 

https://forums.golfwrx.com/topic/1840618-witb-731-full-bag/

i500 is super low launching. If you're looking for a true driving iron it's great, but if you're looking for something with a little higher trajectory and more forgiveness the g410 crossover is the way to go. The crossover still doesn't launch that high either. I've played both and that's what I found at least.

I appreciate the G410 Crossover suggestions, animal and High. I didn't even consider it, frankly, because of the huge offset and high COR, the two reasons I no longer game my Gs (misses became hooks, and the extra L-R dispersion potential). But - since you two both suggested the same exact club, and are similar in handicap, I will give the G410 Crossover a try along with the i500 3i - thanks.

M6 3h + Diamana blue 8S

0311P 4i + SFi95cwS

i210 5i-7i + SFi110cwS

921Tour 8i-G + SFi110cwS 

QB7

TP5X 

> @glofer said:

> I appreciate the G410 Crossover suggestions, animal and High. I didn't even consider it, frankly, because of the huge offset and high COR, the two reasons I no longer game my Gs (misses became hooks, and the extra L-R dispersion potential). But - since you two both suggested the same exact club, and are similar in handicap, I will give the G410 Crossover a try along with the i500 3i - thanks.

If it's any consolation the G410 Crossover 3 actually has just slightly less offset than the i210 3. But no doubt the i500 3 looks the best at address.

> @glofer said:

> I appreciate the G410 Crossover suggestions, animal and High. I didn't even consider it, frankly, because of the huge offset and high COR, the two reasons I no longer game my Gs (misses became hooks, and the extra L-R dispersion potential). But - since you two both suggested the same exact club, and are similar in handicap, I will give the G410 Crossover a try along with the i500 3i - thanks.

I don't know what shaft you'll go. Remember Ping doesn't tip their shafts unless requested

9 Clubs Sunday Bag

UST Mamiya - Lamkin - RXS 

https://forums.golfwrx.com/topic/1840618-witb-731-full-bag/

I hit my I500 3 nice and high - off the tee.

Use my normal iron shaft. About 110 mph with driver. Hit the i500 230 off the tee. It's a bomber. Just have to find the right shaft and weight profile.

Wouldn't suggest hitting it out the rough....unless you like hitting again from a few feet in front of the previous. But I mean...come on.

PING G430 LST 10* Tensei 1K Pro Orange 50S

PING G430 LST 3Wd 16.0* Fujikura XLR8 61

PING iCrossover Ventus Blue HB 7R

PING i525 4-PW Mitsubishi OTi 105 Stiff

Edel 47* TRP/54* DVR/58* DVR KBS CTaper Lite 110 Stiff

PING PLD DZB Proto

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Just curious what you guys ended up with. I'm currently playing the I200's (4-U) and am looking for something to fit the 225 gap that fits in with the other irons in the bag (I500, I200 3 iron or G410 crossover (I haven't gotten along very well with the previous versions of the crossover)). I am currently playing the Mizuno MP18 MMC fli-hi 3 iron. Whatever I end up getting, I will put the Steelfiber I100cw (great shaft and easy on the elbows and hands).

thx

Jeff

Ping G424 Max (9) - Ping Tour 65 S
Ping G425 2 Hybrid (16) - Aldila Rogue Black Hybrid 95 TS
Ping G425 3 Hybrid (20) - Aldila Rogue Black Hybrid 95 TS
PXG Gen 5 0331P irons 5 - G - Steel fiber PR I110

Square Strike Chipper (black) 45 (Damn chipping yips)
Cleveland CBX 2 54 - Dynamic Gold 115 
Cleveland Smart Sole 4 58 - Dynamic Gold 115 
Scotty X5 duel 33 in / 40g    

9 HC

Mich - I ended up with the i500 4-iron. Fits nicely between my i210 5i and TM 5w. The G410 crossover and i210 3-iron are its equal on well struck shots, but I found the i500 more forgiving on less-than-optimally struck shots. Plenty far (averages 250 off tee for me, 240 off turf, so no need for a 3-iron as that would be the same distance as my 5-wood and thus not provide the gapping I was looking for) and high, plus great looking. Although I will say, I suspect the MMC Fli Hi is very similar (hollow body, high launching), that too is a great club for this slot.

M6 3h + Diamana blue 8S

0311P 4i + SFi95cwS

i210 5i-7i + SFi110cwS

921Tour 8i-G + SFi110cwS 

QB7

TP5X 

Thanks guys!

Jeff

9 HC

Hello boys,

I just picked up an I500 4 iron in the power spec from a member. It will be here Friday, so hopefully it fits in well with the I200. Of course I killed my MP 18 MMC all day yesterday:-) I will let you know how it goes.

Jeff

9 HC