Tanglewood Championship Course

caniac6

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got a chance to play on Wednesday and the reno turned out great. The 2 things holding it back were the greens and bunkers. Now they’re both pure. Champion Bermuda and the Better Billy Bunker lining installed, over 20 bunkers removed, and several trees cleared for sunlight and sight lines. It should be perfect next spring.

Played there 10/22. No sand to fill divots. Not familiar if this is the norm at Tanglewood. People in the pro shop thought is was unusual too since the course only reopened, First time with plans to visit in the spring.

I’m no greenskeeper. And my lawn looks like crap. But arent we at the point were bermuda isn’t going to grow so is there value in sand in divots? Legitimately asking.

Played there 10/22. No sand to fill divots. Not familiar if this is the norm at Tanglewood. People in the pro shop thought is was unusual too since the course only reopened, First time with plans to visit in the spring.

I'm no greenskeeper. And my lawn looks like crap. But arent we at the point were bermuda isn't going to grow so is there value in sand in divots? Legitimately asking.

Good question. I'm not a greenskeeper or agronomist. I did work on a golf course and also worked as a landscaper in my younger days. Even though the bermuda is dormant, it still is better to fill in divots with sand in the winter. Bermuda grows horizontally (unlike fescue which is vertical). When a divot is filled with sand when the grass is dormant it has a level area to expand when growing. If the divot is not filled in, a crater or depression is created in the fairway when the grass starts growing. Holes where everybody hits it in the same general area and shorter par 3 teeing area's are really affected. That's why most facilities with bermuda grass have personnel fill in the divots and gouges with sand. Even in the winter when the grass is dormant.

• 4 months later...

Just wanted to give this a quick bump.

Played the Championship course yesterday. Course is in great shape. For as much rain as we have had, the course was extremely playable. Very few wet or sloppy spots. Most of them were in the rough. It was cart path only as a precaution, but the course was in great shape. The greens are fantastic! The rain has helped soften them considerably, but they're not nearly as firm as I was expecting for being new greens. There was hardly any grain in them either for being Champion Bermuda. They were a tad slow, which is to be expected, but rolled very true. The cart guy told us they hope to have them at a 12 this summer.

The bunkering changes were fantastic as well. A couple added bunkers, particularly a new fairway bunker on the par 5 8th that's along the right side in the landing area. But they also removed some and put new sand which was really nice. New drainage was added to each bunker also, which was particularly noticeable. Not a single bunker was washed out or had any erosion or puddling of any kind. They really did a great job on the bunkers.

Lastly, they removed a ton of trees and opened things up a lot. There are still plenty of trees out there, but they removed a lot of the overhanging, overgrown, or unnecessary trees. The removal of the trees, quite honestly, was one of the more noticeable things.

Overall, the changes were really good and I was quite impressed. The golf course was in great shape considering the weather we've had recently. Our Tuesday night league has added this as one of our rotations, so it'll be interesting to see how the course matures over the rest of the year and in the summer heat, but I think what they did was tremendous. It's definitely elevated it's status in the area in my opinion.

Titleist TSi3 10.5* - Fujikura Ventus Red 6S
TaylorMade Stealth Plus 15* - Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 7S
TaylorMade UDI 2 iron - Tour Only Project X HZRDUS 105g 6.5
TaylorMade RSI 3 iron - KBS C Taper X
Mizuno JPX 919 Forged 4 iron - KBS C Taper X
Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5-PW - KBS C Taper X
TaylorMade Milled Grind 3 54* SB - KBS C Taper S
TaylorMade Milled Grind Hi-Toe 58* - KBS C Taper S
Custom Cameron & Crown Mallet 1 or Futura 5W w/ custom flow neck
TaylorMade TP5x 

Is it going to be cart path only for a while, or was that just due to the wet conditions?

Just due to the wet conditions. It's a muni. They'll open it up once the course dries out.

TaylorMade TP5x 

Played the Championship course yesterday. Course is in great shape. For as much rain as we have had, the course was extremely playable. Very few wet or sloppy spots. Most of them were in the rough. It was cart path only as a precaution, but the course was in great shape. The greens are fantastic! The rain has helped soften them considerably, but they're not nearly as firm as I was expecting for being new greens. There was hardly any grain in them either for being Champion Bermuda. They were a tad slow, which is to be expected, but rolled very true. The cart guy told us they hope to have them at a 12 this summer.

The bunkering changes were fantastic as well. A couple added bunkers, particularly a new fairway bunker on the par 5 8th that's along the right side in the landing area. But they also removed some and put new sand which was really nice. New drainage was added to each bunker also, which was particularly noticeable. Not a single bunker was washed out or had any erosion or puddling of any kind. They really did a great job on the bunkers.

Lastly, they removed a ton of trees and opened things up a lot. There are still plenty of trees out there, but they removed a lot of the overhanging, overgrown, or unnecessary trees. The removal of the trees, quite honestly, was one of the more noticeable things.

Overall, the changes were really good and I was quite impressed. The golf course was in great shape considering the weather we've had recently. Our Tuesday night league has added this as one of our rotations, so it'll be interesting to see how the course matures over the rest of the year and in the summer heat, but I think what they did was tremendous. It's definitely elevated it's status in the area in my opinion.

I need to get out there haven’t since the redo.

Would like to see how the tree removal impacts the course. There are many tee shots that were pretty challenging because of some over hanging limbs.

I need to get out there haven't since the redo.

Would like to see how the tree removal impacts the course. There are many tee shots that were pretty challenging because of some over hanging limbs.

I know what you mean; however, I can't think of a single tee shot yesterday where tree limbs were in play.

TaylorMade TP5x 

Is it going to be cart path only for a while, or was that just due to the wet conditions?

Just due to the wet conditions. It's a muni. They'll open it up once the course dries out.

Carts have been on the path since reopening in October due to newly sodded areas. Have not yet heard a time frame for changing that but they will eventually allow carts on the fairways. Looking forward to the greens firming up a bit and getting he speed up. Once everything grows in it will be one of the best public options in the Carolinas, especially for a weekend rate of $55.

Played Tanglewood championship today. First time ever playing as I was passing through on my way back to chapel Hill.

I can confirm that the new greens are fantastic and the bunkers are even better. Possibly the best bunkers I have ever played, and that is after the crazy rain we have received over the past month. It is a great course and a great value. The members there seemed nice as I was paired up with two of them and I really enjoyed the round with them. The conditions are better than any public I have played in the triangle at this time in my opinion. Well worth checking it out, I will be back.

Do they still have the par 3 there? I grew up in Winston-Salem and used to love playing the par 3.

They do but it was not part of the renovations. To be honest the last couple times I’ve played it it’s been in rough shape. Wish it got a little more care because I agree that it’s a ton of fun.

TaylorMade TP5x 

Who was the architect TW worked with?

Richard Mandell out of Pinehurst. I believe also that the Robert Trent Jones society was heavily involved. As to the Par 3, it has so much potential but next to nothing in resources. Maybe a few dollars could be thrown it’s way with a future bond referendum.

FWIW, I was told by the staff at the Par 3 last year that if there was any money leftover from this bond they would apply it to the Par 3, but if they didn’t have any leftover they were hoping to pass another bond in the next 2-3 years to renovate the greens and irrigation there. Obviously it didn’t get any upgrades so I’m guessing they’re going to attempt another bond for updates to Reynolds and the Par 3 in the coming years.

TaylorMade TP5x 

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'll be playing the Tanglewood Championship course later this week - will be leaving early tomorrow morning for GSO. It's been a long time for me. I kind of hate to hear they got rid of some of the 'many' bunkers the course had with the renovation, but I'm sure it will be nice. Does anyone know if any money from the bond was appropriated for use on the Reynolds course?

It will be good to see my old friend, Head Pro Mike Wilcox again. Do any of you locals ever see Ron Morgan out there playing golf?