2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

It’s time golf and I take a break from each other...

LeftDaddy

I mean, I’m through with this relationship. I give and give and give...money, time, emotion. And I spend so much time with golf that wife is starting to wonder what I’m doing while gone so long.

And even though I give and give, golf gives me nothing back. I mean, yeah, I get in the hole quickly sometimes but I spend so much more time seeking the hole than finding it. And I try every thing I can think of and none of it works.

In all seriousness, I spend so much money and time on golf, and I still suck. I thought I had it somewhat figured it out after a visit to my coach the other day, but apparently not. I played today and looked like a moron for about half of the holes. I’m getting as close to quitting as I’ve been in a long time.

And Tiger got a quad on 17 today. I truly hate this game sometimes...

First world problems

Embrace the challenge my friend ... and your companions, environment and outdoor time

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* GD AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x 

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

Good stuff ? I just often feel like the time I spend on golf is time I could spend with wife, kids, work, work around the house, developing some other skill that has some use to society, etc etc. At some point, golf has to give back, or I’m the dumbest person on the planet for continuing to make this extraordinarily suboptimal choice.

I mean, I'm through with this relationship. I give and give and give...money, time, emotion. And I spend so much time with golf that wife is starting to wonder what I'm doing while gone so long.

And even though I give and give, golf gives me nothing back. I mean, yeah, I get in the hole quickly sometimes but I spend so much more time seeking the hole than finding it. And I try every thing I can think of and none of it works.

In all seriousness, I spend so much money and time on golf, and I still suck. I thought I had it somewhat figured it out after a visit to my coach the other day, but apparently not. I played today and looked like a moron for about half of the holes. I'm getting as close to quitting as I've been in a long time.

Some people suck at golf, it's the only thing other's can measure themselves against to look better. (Shirley I jest) :happy:

G.O.L.F. Getting Only Laurels of Frustration

Actually when playing do you worry more about score and what you look like, instead of enjoying the experience? Maybe your approach to the game needs a serious change. Take a break, spend some time with your family, then come back to it with the attitude of having fun. Go camping with your family, yeah Tiger may have made the cut with a quad on 17, but he won't be a happy camper with the family next week.

I think part of why I’m so frustrated currently is that I thought I was so close to figuring some stuff out. And for 9 holes it looked like I was. It unraveled, and then I got a look at the swing and realized that although I had “fixed” the most recent problem, old problems that I thought had been fixed had crept back in.

It’s amazing how hard it is to get a solid swing locked in for this game.

I wasn’t all that focused on score. I just wanted my iron ballstriking to be decent (it wasn’t). Oddly I was bombing my driver. I was 15 yards longer than usual. But I digress.

I’m playing in a scramble today. We will see how it goes. Sometimes those are helpful because you don’t care about your score, and can quickly move on from bad shots.

It's not you, it's me........

Seriously, you have to hang in there to finally learn AND ACCEPT some truths.

1. You will NEVER have a swing locked in. It comes and goes. Try to enjoy the game by adapting to the swing you have that day. There are pros missing the cut every week because they don't have "it" that week.

2. The game is hard, merciless, and laughs at your misfortune. The constant challenge is THE ALLURE, not what chases you away.

I was where you are about 25 years ago at age 43. I expected too much which only leads to frustration. I read Bob Rotella's "Golf is not a game of Perfect" and it changed my attitude. That lead to a more realistic me, a more relaxed me, and a lower handicap. Most of all, I learned to enjoy the game, good or bad.

Note for perspective: I'm a 12 handicap. Most of my scores are between 78 and 84, but my iron striking can just disappear on me with no notice. I've been playing for 50+ years.

• Callaway Rogue Draw 10.5*
  • The Perfect Club 21
  • Callaway XROS 64
  • PING Eye 2 BeCu 7 - SW
  • PING Kartsen Craz-E

I think part of why I'm so frustrated currently is that I thought I was so close to figuring some stuff out. And for 9 holes it looked like I was. It unraveled, and then I got a look at the swing and realized that although I had "fixed" the most recent problem, old problems that I thought had been fixed had crept back in.

It's amazing how hard it is to get a solid swing locked in for this game.

I wasn't all that focused on score. I just wanted my iron ballstriking to be decent (it wasn't). Oddly I was bombing my driver. I was 15 yards longer than usual. But I digress.

I'm playing in a scramble today. We will see how it goes. Sometimes those are helpful because you don't care about your score, and can quickly move on from bad shots.

Enjoy it LD! :good:

assuming you haven’t the grip change from standard to midsize helped my ball striking. and on my good shots that land where intended if i check my grip and readdress the spot where the ball was i have 2 knuckles visible on my right hand, also a lefty. when i focus on seeing that and don’t think about a swing besides coming back straight the end result is better than if i try and try to think about the whole swing. less is more for me.

start hitting just 7 iron. i’ll play it off the tee until i start feeling loose again. and get going again from there. it’s my go to along with a 3 iron that i fell in love with off the tee. mp54 to be exact.

Before you take your sabbatical, go and play 18 more holes but don't take a scorecard and only focus on the shot you're playing. At a 9 index, you have to hit some really quality shots. Enjoy those shots, enjoy the people you play with, realize that there are people of all ages who can no longer play the game because of physical challenges. Have fun, laugh and understand how blessed you are to able to play this great game.

I mean, I'm through with this relationship. I give and give and give...money, time, emotion. And I spend so much time with golf that wife is starting to wonder what I'm doing while gone so long.

In all seriousness, I spend so much money and time on golf, and I still suck. I thought I had it somewhat figured it out after a visit to my coach the other day, but apparently not. I played today and looked like a moron for about half of the holes. I'm getting as close to quitting as I've been in a long time.

Move further north.

I'm forced to take a three to four month break every year.

G430 LST 9.0 Ventus TR Red 6s

G430 LST 3 wood Ventus TR Red 7s

Stealth 2 Plus 5 wood Ventus TR Red 8s 

Callaway Apex Pro 3 hybrid Ventus Blue 8s

0311 XP 5 PX LZ 6.5

0311 P 6 P LZ 6.5

0317 T  7-P  PX LZ 6.5

RTX Zipcore  52, 56

PM Grind 60

Lab Link 1 

I think part of why I’m so frustrated currently is that I thought I was so close to figuring some stuff out. And for 9 holes it looked like I was. It unraveled, and then I got a look at the swing and realized that although I had “fixed” the most recent problem, old problems that I thought had been fixed had crept back in.

It’s amazing how hard it is to get a solid swing locked in for this game.

I wasn’t all that focused on score. I just wanted my iron ballstriking to be decent (it wasn’t). Oddly I was bombing my driver. I was 15 yards longer than usual. But I digress.

I’m playing in a scramble today. We will see how it goes. Sometimes those are helpful because you don’t care about your score, and can quickly move on from bad shots.

No one has the game figured out. Pros hit bad shots, good shots sometimes end up with not so good results (rub of the green).

Instead of trying to get better at everything at the same time find an area to focus on like short game and putting. Then once you are happy with that work on another area while not neglecting the area you just “fixed”

Have fun playing and enjoy the time doing golf stuff

Golf is hard, and it owes us nothing. Be happy you can play...and keep at it LD !!! :not_i:

"and keep at it LD !!! :not_i:"...LD = Learning disabled?

er.......ah.......um......probably stands for LeftDaddy :russian_roulette:

Thanks. At some point each night my reading comprehension "falls off a cliff".

I think part of why I'm so frustrated currently is that I thought I was so close to figuring some stuff out. And for 9 holes it looked like I was. It unraveled, and then I got a look at the swing and realized that although I had "fixed" the most recent problem, old problems that I thought had been fixed had crept back in.

It's amazing how hard it is to get a solid swing locked in for this game.

I wasn't all that focused on score. I just wanted my iron ballstriking to be decent (it wasn't). Oddly I was bombing my driver. I was 15 yards longer than usual. But I digress.

I'm playing in a scramble today. We will see how it goes. Sometimes those are helpful because you don't care about your score, and can quickly move on from bad shots.

Try playing the GAME of golf and not playing golf swing. I try to save golf swing for practice but when I play, i just focus on getting the ball in the hole no matter what the score. If that doesn't work sometimes i just pick up and move to the next hole. I'm not ever going to be good enough to get upset. If you can learn to enjoy the time outside with friends instead of equating your score with your self worth, it becomes that game that you can enjoy for a lifetime. I see too many people play mad golf. Really you are the only person that cares how you play. Your friends (the ones you care about) don't give a crap how you play until you get so upset if affects their enjoyment of the game. These words may not all apply to your situation, but the frustration will get worse if your attitude doesn't get better. Good Luck

• Like 1

1. Move further north. I've had my annual break from golf since last fall and counting . . . .

2. Tiger getting a 7 should inspire you, you could have made 6! ;-)

3. If not, pretend to play - if the wife really thinks you are up to something may as well reap the benefits if you are catching the blame. In a few months, you'll have a lot more time to play and practice when your wife leaves you.

Lots of good comments except the one saying I wanted attention. Thanks to everyone except that guy. I promise I don’t want any attention. Just frustrated with how poorly I’m playing given the time and attention I give to golf. My big issue is that I can’t hit an iron shot solidly to save my life. It’s actually quite comical how poor my iron play is, given how decent the rest of my game is. I can drive it pretty well, I can putt, and my short game is pretty good. My irons just SUUUUUUUCCCCCKKKKK!

And I was joking about my wife wondering what I was doing...I was going for a little “play” on golf being a cruel mistress.

Anyway, I played the scramble today. I generally sucked about like I expected I would. I was awesome on the range beforehand, though, so at least there’s that. And I finally kinda sorta remembered a correction I needed to make with 4 holes to go and it helped things improve a little. It was a 2 man scramble, and we may have used 10 of my shots all day. We shot 74 which was poor, mostly due to me. We had a good time at least. And I did leave thinking that I had found a little something in my swing and so I’m feeling like playing again soon.

I just need to keep golf more at arm’s length than I have...like everyone says, just try to enjoy that I’m able to play. Thanks again!

Please FTLOG stop echoing "golf is hard." What game worth a snot is not hard? Stop your whining and get better and brag about it. If you can't handle it, quit and take up something that is easy for you, like picking your nose. My god.

"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."
- Groucho Marx

WIMB
PING G400 Driver 10.5*

TaylorMade Burner 3-wood and 5-wood REAX reg graphite

Mizuno MX-23 forged 5-PW, Mizuno forged SW, GW, LW

Putter:  Odyssey White Hot Rossie 36" --  Ball: TP5 X

Damn. Ok. By the way, I didn’t say “golf is hard”. Others said that. I just said that I suck at it, and I’m questioning why I’ve put so much investment in it over the years.

I’ve been on here bragging about myself too...so get over yourself and don’t read the thread if it bothers you so much.

There’s one or two in every group I guess...

My wife, after 16 years of marriage came out with me to golf.

She said, “For as much as you golfed, I thought you’d be better.”

She was serious, sadly.

1000000% the best post I’ve ever read on here

Glove: ML
Tees: 2 3/4
Towel: white
Repair tool: metal
Ball Marker: largest poker chip in the world
Iron headcovers: wait, what?

The feedback system is annoying

Please FTLOG stop echoing "golf is hard." What game worth a snot is not hard? Stop your whining and get better and brag about it. If you can't handle it, quit and take up something that is easy for you, like picking your nose. My god.

Don’t be a dick dude

Glove: ML
Tees: 2 3/4
Towel: white
Repair tool: metal
Ball Marker: largest poker chip in the world
Iron headcovers: wait, what?

The feedback system is annoying