Battle of the darlings: G400 Max vs. Cobra F9

dxdgenert

F9 is the Ping MAX of last year.

Exactly, that’s why I’m interested. Everyone was gushing over the Max last year and this year, it’s all F9.

Callaway Mavrik 9* w/ Aldila ROGUE White 130 M.S.I. 60
Callaway Mavrik 3 wood w/ Aldila ROGUE White 130 M.S.I. 70
Callaway Mavrik 3 hybrid w/ Project X Catalyst 75
PXG Gen 1 0311X 4 iron w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80
PXG Gen 5 0311 XP 5-7 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 5 0311 XP 8-GW w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 2 0311 Forged 54 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 2 0311 Forged 60 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

Titleist Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2 

I bought a max last year and a f9 this year. From the first hit (bought without hitting) I knew I loved the max. For the last 12 months I have hit 48% of my fairways over 40 rounds. According to ghin the average for my handicap is 29%. That's a significant difference.

Unfortunately, I was tempted to try to gain some distance so I got sucked into buying this year's darling without ever hitting it. The f9 is a great looking, feeling, and sounding head. In the two rounds that I used it and the max it was no longer and I didn't hit as many fairways with the f9 as the max. The max is firmly back in the bag. I will tinker with the f9 some more though. The sound is nice enough to keep trying.

The f9 is a peculiar head. Low strikes feel and perform really well. High strikes feel extremely dead and perform ok. If I catch the max high toe it sounds and goes like a cannon. YMMV.

Let me tell you what Wooderson is packin'
Sim Max 12° Speeder NX 6s
Sim2 Max 15°
Ping G410 21° 
Ping G425 22°/25°
Ping G430 6-PW AWT Stiff
Ping Glide 3.0 GW/SW

Ping Eye 2 XG LW

I have played just about everything over the past 2 years. M3, Epic, Rogue, and currently game a 9 deg G400 (standard 455cc version). Swing speed between 95-100mph with a pretty smooth transition.

I really like the look of the matte black head and the sound of the G400. I tried the Max indoors on a monitor and it was a little more spinny and not as appealing to my eye as the G400. Trying to find the perfect match, I've tried the Ping Tour 65S, Fujikura Pro 2.0 5S, Ping Tour 80R, and the Kuro Kage XT60S in the G.

Have a F9 with HZRDUS Smoke arriving early next week and I'm really excited to see if it will knock the G400 out of the bag. I bought a 10.5 F9. My miss is low in the face but I'm still fighting a Colorado winter swing. Looking forward to it warming up a bit and seeing if the F9 hype works for me.

I have a 400 Max, and I really like it. Yesterday I played with my old G20, and was hitting it well past the 400 Max.

Exactly the max just isn’t long otherwise it would still be in the bag. To each their own but the f9 is simply longer with better feel and sound. The whole accuracy thing I don’t get a bad swing is a bad swing either way your in trouble. I was and am I big fan of the max like I said in a earlier post the f9 is last years max with better attributes.

Signature of Solon CC

Mizuno STX 230 10.5 Accra fx 3.0 140 m0

Titleist Tsr1 15 tour ad di6

Titleist 917 18 Kk proto

Titleist Tsr1 4 hybrid Accra fx 2.0 

Titleist t300 5-Pw Matrix Red proto moi matched 

Wilson Staff zm 50 recoil dart v

Wilson staff zm 56 recoil dart v

Vokey Wedge Works Raw 60K DG Tour Issue S400 Black Onyx

L.A.B. Mezz Max blue Tpt shaft 34/71

I have a 400 Max, and I really like it. Yesterday I played with my old G20, and was hitting it well past the 400 Max.

Exactly the max just isn’t long otherwise it would still be in the bag. To each their own but the f9 is simply longer with better feel and sound. The whole accuracy thing I don’t get a bad swing is a bad swing either way your in trouble. I was and am I big fan of the max like I said in a earlier post the f9 is last years max with better attributes.

Max was just as long as my F9, shorter shaft in the Max and was playing at a less ideal SW than the F9. Will definitely agree on the sound though.

At the end of the day it's all about the person swinging it and what works for one person may not necessarily work for another. Part of the fun of golf (for me) is trying out all the new gear and maximizing what works!

You certainly can't argue with Ping MAX's forgiveness, but unlike many commenting here, I found the F9 easy to hit too and for me, it was 10+ yards longer on average. I have always played and loved Ping's hybrids, but for some reason, find their drivers to be average length for me and not a huge fan of the feel. What I will say is that I have many friends and a couple of brother's that swear by their Ping drivers solely for the forgiveness. Good luck!

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen4 @ 10.5* w/Tour AD VR-6 S

Fairway: PXG 0341 X GEN4 @ 15* w/PX Evenflow Riptide CB 60g
Fairway: Callaway Mavrik @ 18* w/PX Evenflow Riptide 60g
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen4 Xtreme Dark Combination Set: 5-7 Gen4 XP; 8-GW Gen4 P w/SteelFiber 95
Wedges: Cleveland RTX Black Satin 50*  54*  58*

Putter: PXG Bat Attack-HS @ 35.5"
Ball: Wilson Staff Model

You certainly can't argue with Ping MAX's forgiveness, but unlike many commenting here, I found the F9 easy to hit too and for me, it was 10+ yards longer on average. I have always played and loved Ping's hybrids, but for some reason, find their drivers to be average length for me and not a huge fan of the feel. What I will say is that I have many friends and a couple of brother's that swear by their Ping drivers solely for the forgiveness. Good luck!

Oh I agree the f9 is as easy to hit as any other drivers made today. It is longer I have tested it over and over and agreed the max is a great driver but for whatever reason the switch to the f9 was a good one for me.

Signature of Solon CC

Mizuno STX 230 10.5 Accra fx 3.0 140 m0

Titleist Tsr1 15 tour ad di6

Titleist 917 18 Kk proto

Titleist Tsr1 4 hybrid Accra fx 2.0 

Titleist t300 5-Pw Matrix Red proto moi matched 

Wilson Staff zm 50 recoil dart v

Wilson staff zm 56 recoil dart v

Vokey Wedge Works Raw 60K DG Tour Issue S400 Black Onyx

L.A.B. Mezz Max blue Tpt shaft 34/71

I would suggest looking into the F8 Plus before spending full retail on a new F9. The performance difference is much smaller than the price difference.

However with an over the top swing and the fact that you like the Ping K15, the 400 SFT may be a better fit for you than the 400 max.

I played a G SFT before the 400 max and really liked the built in weighting that helped close the face consistently. In fact I'm thinking of putting the G SFT back in the bag.

I played the K15s for years when they came out in 2010. I'm still playing one in my walking bag. I tried the Ping G SFT and thought it was just OK compared to the K15. I then bought the Ping G Max. Its longer then the G and the K15. But I wanted a Max with the SFT......So I added lead tape to the rear and inside heal of the MAX. Now it swings just like a K15 but is a lot longer and more forgiving. The right side of the course is no longer in play.

I would suggest looking into the F8 Plus before spending full retail on a new F9. The performance difference is much smaller than the price difference.

However with an over the top swing and the fact that you like the Ping K15, the 400 SFT may be a better fit for you than the 400 max.

I played a G SFT before the 400 max and really liked the built in weighting that helped close the face consistently. In fact I'm thinking of putting the G SFT back in the bag.

I played the K15s for years when they came out in 2010. I'm still playing one in my walking bag. I tried the Ping G SFT and thought it was just OK compared to the K15. I then bought the Ping G Max. Its longer then the G and the K15. But I wanted a Max with the SFT......So I added lead tape to the rear and inside heal of the MAX. Now it swings just like a K15 but is a lot longer and more forgiving. The right side of the course is no longer in play.

How many grams of tape did you add ?

Ping G430 Max 10.5 Tensei Orange AV Raw 55 Reg

Ping G430 SFT 5w 19* Alta Black Reg

Ping G430 SFT 7w 23* Alta Black Reg

Tour Edge Xrail 5h 26* Graphite Design G-Series Reg

Ping G425 6-UW Alta Slate Reg

Ping Glide 4.0 56* WS Nippon Z-115

Cleveland CBX Full Face 2 60* DG Spinner

Cleveland Smart Sole C 4.0 

Ping 2023 Anser D

Handicap: 8.2

How many grams of tape did you add ?

7.5 grams. I used 3, 2.5 gram, pieces stacked, to keep them back and heal side as much as I could. I didn't want long pieces to spread the weight where I didn't want it. It's been 2 months since I added them. I may add another 2.5 gram strip to bring the total to 10 grams. It may make it even easier to turn over. I hit 1 tee shot into the right rough per round :dntknw:

For years now I’ve had trouble understanding why so many pros play 43.5” to 44.25” drivers, yet amateurs who cannot remotely find the center nearly as often, insist on playing 44.5” to 45.5” drivers.

2019 may just be the best crop of drivers and fairways in history. Great clubs from most makers. But, we need to recognize that these drivers are often very different even within the same make and type.

For example, the F9 9.0 & 10.5 drivers are very different machines meant for very different swings. Throw in the numerous shaft variables and the adjustability capability and it’s possible that while you might not like any of them, it’s also possible that simply thinking through these variables and trying a few creative solutions might just yield an optimum combo. I’m betting the same is true for other makes as well. Merely trying one loft and one or two shafts on any of these clubs likely won’t yield much meaningful perspective one way or the other.

I wound up with 44.25 and D5 swingweight and the ATMOS TS Blue (black) 6S and surprisingly like this combo much more than my normal DI 6 or even my old F7M2 shafts. Anyway, just food for thought.

Not to get off topic, but I'd be curious to know of more than a few, if any pros are playing a 43.5" driver. Maybe not 45.5"+ but they're not <44".

No real need to debate this issue. I simply said “so many pros between 43.5 & 44.25.” The average tour player is at 44.5, not the 45-45.5 that most amateurs rather foolishly play. Rickie is at 43.5 and Tiger was at 43.5 in his early Tour years. No idea what Tiger plays now. My only point was that if many of the players who are the absolute best at making center contact play 44.5 on average, and a good number of them play at less than 44.5, why in the world are mere mortal golfers playing at anything above 44.5 and not closer to 43.5? Missing dead center by 1/8” to 1/4” cost more yardage on average than is gained by hitting a 45”+ driver and missing by 1/4” to 1/2”.

Paradym Ai Smoke MAX 10.5  Velocore Red 6S 45" D3

Rogue ST MAX 3,5,7W Velocore  Red 7S 

Srixon ZX4-4, ZX5-5&6, ZX7 7-PW

MODUS 120 S +3/4, D3-D5

SM8 Raw 52 F-12, 56 V,  & 60 V

Scotty Circle T Red Dot 350g Newport 2 (A006794), Pro V1x, Miura Alt bag: 4-PW CB57’s & K Grinds 52,56,60,64 or Fun Bag MP-33 5-PW 

Agree with above that sweet spot contact trumps a couple of extra MPH of speed.

Seems sensible/logical that a higher hc player SHOULD hit the sweetspot more regularly with a shorter driver, but is there any proof that this is the case?

BTW, my driver is 45.25 but i often grip down an inch and prefer this length

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

I guess Rickie is using the 10.5 since he’s a normal Joe?

I see in the instruction guide for F9 where it shows some differences between heads, had never seen those before. Still seems mostly loft and lie angle related to me based on what they say (launch, trajectory, and swing speed).

Has Cobra put out anything else that goes into further depth?

I’ll try to answer the questions about design differences between the 9.0, 10.5, and 12 F9 heads. Not pretending to be an expert on these issues. These are explanations that Cobra alludes to on their F9 promo pages. Cobra has also given enhanced explanations of these issues to industry reviewers.

First, Cobra is no longer offering a “Tour” or “+” model driver. The F9 9.0 head supersedes those tour and + models. It is the head specifically optimized for high speed players looking for very low spin. This is partly accomplished by the 9.0 head having a slightlly more forward CG and perhaps a slightly higher or lower CG. The F9 9.0 should achieve 500 RPM lower spin rates than the F8+ heads.

The 10.5 and 12 heads are designed to provide the more normal spin rates and launch angles and higher MOI that most of us more normal golfers require or desire.

The F9 design features of “Dual Roll Radii” and E9 technology are specifically optimized for each of the 3 driver heads. This is especially true of the lower face radii design.

The 9.0 lower face area, mid to bottom, will produce lower launch and less spin than the lower face area of the 10.5 which is designed to help with higher launch angles. Similarly, the lower face area of the 12 head is optimized for even higher launch assistance.

The mid to top areas of each head are are apparently more traditionally optimized. But again, all three heads are specifically optimized beyond mere loft angle for their target audience of golfers.

So, it appears that the 9.0 is for high speed bombers, the 12 is for lower speed players seeking max MOI and forgiveness, and the 10.5 is for the rest of us. I forestalled my ego needs and went with the 10.5 head and shorter 44.25 Tour Length F9. So far, it seems to have been a very smart decision for my game. If I want to play with more or less spin and more or less MOI, I can always move the heavy weight forward and play with the other shaft adjustability feature.

MODUS 120 S +3/4, D3-D5

Scotty Circle T Red Dot 350g Newport 2 (A006794), Pro V1x, Miura Alt bag: 4-PW CB57’s & K Grinds 52,56,60,64 or Fun Bag MP-33 5-PW 

I guess Rickie is using the 10.5 since he's a normal Joe?

I see in the instruction guide for F9 where it shows some differences between heads, had never seen those before. Still seems mostly loft and lie angle related to me based on what they say (launch, trajectory, and swing speed).

Has Cobra put out anything else that goes into further depth?

I'll try to answer the questions about design differences between the 9.0, 10.5, and 12 F9 heads. Not pretending to be an expert on these issues. These are explanations that Cobra alludes to on their F9 promo pages. Cobra has also given enhanced explanations of these issues to industry reviewers.

First, Cobra is no longer offering a "Tour" or "+" model driver. The F9 9.0 head supersedes those tour and + models. It is the head specifically optimized for high speed players looking for very low spin. This is partly accomplished by the 9.0 head having a slightlly more forward CG and perhaps a slightly higher or lower CG. The F9 9.0 should achieve 500 RPM lower spin rates than the F8+ heads.

The 10.5 and 12 heads are designed to provide the more normal spin rates and launch angles and higher MOI that most of us more normal golfers require or desire.

The F9 design features of "Dual Roll Radii" and E9 technology are specifically optimized for each of the 3 driver heads. This is especially true of the lower face radii design.

The 9.0 lower face area, mid to bottom, will produce lower launch and less spin than the lower face area of the 10.5 which is designed to help with higher launch angles. Similarly, the lower face area of the 12 head is optimized for even higher launch assistance.

The mid to top areas of each head are are apparently more traditionally optimized. But again, all three heads are specifically optimized beyond mere loft angle for their target audience of golfers.

So, it appears that the 9.0 is for high speed bombers, the 12 is for lower speed players seeking max MOI and forgiveness, and the 10.5 is for the rest of us. I forestalled my ego needs and went with the 10.5 head and shorter 44.25 Tour Length F9. So far, it seems to have been a very smart decision for my game. If I want to play with more or less spin and more or less MOI, I can always move the heavy weight forward and play with the other shaft adjustability feature.

Did your tour length F9 come at D5 or did you get a different weigh combo to get there?

Thanks,

[

Did your tour length F9 come at D5 or did you get a different weigh combo to get there?

Thanks,

I believe the standard F9 comes with 14g & 2g weights. My Tour Length F9 came with 14g & 6g weights to offset the shorter 44.25 equipped with a standard mid size grip, not the Cobra grip that is 1/4” longer for data app use. The SW came in at D5. I usually play D4 so D 5 was actually great for me. The Cobra website merely says that with Tour Length they will use special weights to keep the SW in the standard range. You can request any number of non-standard lengths and a specific swingweight if preferred.

MODUS 120 S +3/4, D3-D5

i owned and gamed the g400 max and i had the opportunity to hit the f9 both indoors, outdoors and on trackman and flight scope.

g400 max was 9 deg stiff witht he alta 55 g stiff: extremely forgiving driver but not the longest and definitely not the lowest spinning. at times if i caught it high toeish and got that nic ehigh draw kinuckler i would hit some bombs with massive runouts but mostly this club stayed in play. however on several occasions drivers that i though i just smashed, when i got up to them the distance was shorter then what i expected.

F9: at first i didnt like this club but i had trouble getting a shaft on it that i liked. once that was accomplished this driver definitely outperformed the g400 max distance wise. also even with the weight in the front the forgiveness was not as good as the max but it wasnt too far off.

i think if you are a player who really struggles off the tee then stick to the max. however if you are somewhat consistent with swinging our driver you will get more out of the f9

driver callaway xhot 2 8.5 S
irons: callaway xhot 2 4-aw
Hybrid: Baffler 19deg
3wood callaway xhot
putter: Ping scottsdale 2
wedges: taylormade atv 52 56

• 2 weeks later...

I Bought an F9 with an AD-iZ 7x and the Gmax is out of the bag.

I hit a little fade with the Gmax lofted down coz the ballflight is much higher in the standard setting and every so often I get a high, weak right that sneaks up on me.

The F9 is in the 9° Draw position and I’m able to hit a little draw with consistency . Great feel, feels just as forgiving and the smaller footprint looks much better at address.

I should also add I have my 14g in the back position and it lends itself to a draw-with the weight forward it was a wee bit fade bias and similar to the Gmax flight but I did not get the high, right weak shot as with the ping. The weight back feels much better as well and a bit higher flight, but I like it!

The Gmax is a great driver, but for me the F9 is just better.

Rox

2023 in the Bag!

Rogue Max Ls 9°/HZRDUS Gen 4 Black 6.5 70<br  />TSi2 15°/Aldila Green 75X<br/>Epic Flash 21°/Tour Green 75X<br/>Maltby TS1-iM 4-6 iron Modus 115X<br/>

Honma 747V/DG120-S400 7-PW<br/>Jaws 50°, 54° & 58°/DG Tour Issue S400<br/>Scotty Cameron 5.5M<br />Callaway Chrome Soft and
Sun Moutain C130/ClicGear Rovic cart with Alphard E-Wheels V2

Backups:

Bridgestone Tour-B X-CB/DG120 S400 Tour Issue 5-PW

When the g400max came out I was hitting it with the Kuro Kage and got surprisingly good ball speed, spin and launch numbers. Just wasn't in the market for a driver. I've been raving about the Cobra since it came out. Love the 9 degree and the Atmos Black seems to slightly outperform the smoke in that head for me. I was looking through the numbers I posted with the G400 Max and saw that they were almost identical to the F9.

Only " difference" was maybe a 1 mph more ball speed with the f9. My best hit with the f9 vs the max was 2 mph more and 5 yards further. I grabbed both clubs the other day on the gc2 quad for a half hour and was swinging well. I'd take the g400max based on accuracy and the confidence I feel over the ball at address knowing I can go after the max and keep it between the buoys. If I give up a couple yards...I'd never even realize it on the course.

A proper shaft especially with the max keeps he spin down and the numbers in check. Just trying to figure out the difference of lofting down a 10.5 to 9.5 or getting a 9 degree head.

> @roxald said:

> I Bought an F9 with an AD-iZ 7x and the Gmax is out of the bag.

> I hit a little fade with the Gmax lofted down coz the ballflight is much higher in the standard setting and every so often I get a high, weak right that sneaks up on me.

> The F9 is in the 9° Draw position and I’m able to hit a little draw with consistency . Great feel, feels just as forgiving and the smaller footprint looks much better at address.

> I should also add I have my 14g in the back position and it lends itself to a draw-with the weight forward it was a wee bit fade bias and similar to the Gmax flight but I did not get the high, right weak shot as with the ping. The weight back feels much better as well and a bit higher flight, but I like it!

> The Gmax is a great driver, but for me the F9 is just better.

> Rox

>

I've ordered the same head/shaft combo. What length and swing weight is yours?

Driver: still looking.....
4 Wood: Kamui Pro TP-XF 17.5° + Fujikura Speeder Evolution VI FW70x @ 42 1/2".

7 Wood: Kamui Pro TP-XF 22.5° + Fujikura Speeder Evolution VI FW80x @ 41 3/4".
Irons: Kamui Pro KP-102 5i-PW + KBS TGI 110 + 1/2".
Wedges: Callaway Jaws Forged 50°/55°/60° + KBS C-Taper
Putter: SeeMore SB1 + Accra FX300.

> @ian-500 said:

> > @roxald said:

> > I Bought an F9 with an AD-iZ 7x and the Gmax is out of the bag.

> > I hit a little fade with the Gmax lofted down coz the ballflight is much higher in the standard setting and every so often I get a high, weak right that sneaks up on me.

> > The F9 is in the 9° Draw position and I’m able to hit a little draw with consistency . Great feel, feels just as forgiving and the smaller footprint looks much better at address.

> > I should also add I have my 14g in the back position and it lends itself to a draw-with the weight forward it was a wee bit fade bias and similar to the Gmax flight but I did not get the high, right weak shot as with the ping. The weight back feels much better as well and a bit higher flight, but I like it!

> > The Gmax is a great driver, but for me the F9 is just better.

> > Rox

> >

>

> I've ordered the same head/shaft combo. What length and swing weight is yours?

Mine is D2 @ 45”. Just over 45.25 including the Arcos Grip.

Rox

2023 in the Bag!

Rogue Max Ls 9°/HZRDUS Gen 4 Black 6.5 70<br  />TSi2 15°/Aldila Green 75X<br/>Epic Flash 21°/Tour Green 75X<br/>Maltby TS1-iM 4-6 iron Modus 115X<br/>

Honma 747V/DG120-S400 7-PW<br/>Jaws 50°, 54° & 58°/DG Tour Issue S400<br/>Scotty Cameron 5.5M<br />Callaway Chrome Soft and
Sun Moutain C130/ClicGear Rovic cart with Alphard E-Wheels V2

Backups:

Bridgestone Tour-B X-CB/DG120 S400 Tour Issue 5-PW

more apples to kumquats, but currently have the G400Max 10.5 and F9 3W 14.5 in the bag. I don't really have an impetus to try another driver - the Max is the most consistent club in my bag. The F9 3W is a much smaller head, and off the tee, much less tolerant of sloppy contact (not unexpected). It does go well when hit, but the Max remains in my very rare "ain't broke, don't fix it" bucket. Different swings may give different results, talk to your doctor if side effects linger...

AI Smoke Max Tensei Blue 55R | Cleveland Halo XL HyWood 3+ Tensei Blue 55R

G430 4-5H Alta R | Srixon ZX4-5 7i-AW Dart 65R

Glide4 Eye2 56 | Vokey 60 M | Ping Anser 2023

• 6 months later...