Ping 410 Adapters - always neutral face?

matchavez

Hi all,

Prior to the 410, Ping's adapters would open or close the face. You know, the Big Plus would make a driver 'draw biased', or at least appear face closed.

The new 410 adapters... do they change, or open/close the face? Or is it always a neutral face?

Thanks.

14 Pings. Blueprints are incredibly good. Fetch is the most underrated putter on the market. Don't @ me.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all,

Prior to the 410, Ping's adapters would open or close the face. You know, the Big Plus would make a driver 'draw biased', or at least appear face closed.

The new 410 adapters... do they change, or open/close the face? Or is it always a neutral face?

Thanks.

Same concept with the normal 5 settings. They just added 3 additional flat lie angle options:

Flat with neutral loft

Flat with +1* loft

Flat with -1* loft

Ping G430 Max 10.5 Tensei Orange AV Raw 55 Reg

Ping G430 SFT 5w 19* Alta Black Reg

Ping G430 SFT 7w 23* Alta Black Reg

Tour Edge Xrail 5h 26* Graphite Design G-Series Reg

Ping G425 6-UW Alta Slate Reg

Ping Glide 4.0 56* WS Nippon Z-115

Cleveland CBX Full Face 2 60* DG Spinner

Cleveland Smart Sole C 4.0 

Ping 2023 Anser D

Handicap: 8.2

Hi all,

Thanks.

Same concept with the normal 5 settings. They just added 3 additional flat lie angle options:

Flat with neutral loft

Flat with +1* loft

Flat with -1* loft

Not quite what I was asking...

To be specific, let's say you set an adapter at +1.5º. Does it close the face while raising the loft, or does the face remain neutral left-to-right, only raising the loft?

14 Pings. Blueprints are incredibly good. Fetch is the most underrated putter on the market. Don't @ me.

Hi all,

Thanks.

Flat with neutral loft

Flat with +1* loft

Flat with -1* loft

To be specific, let's say you set an adapter at +1.5º. Does it close the face while raising the loft, or does the face remain neutral left-to-right, only raising the loft?

it will close the face.

Hi all,

Thanks.

Flat with neutral loft

Flat with +1* loft

Flat with -1* loft

it will close the face.

So do we know by how much?

it will close the face.

So do we know by how much?

It's always ~1.8* of face angle change for each 1* of "loft" change. This is mathematically/geometrically fixed, it doesn't change based on the design of the adapter or the manufacturer.

Well, in theory, it might be possible for the OEM's to tweak this a bit based on the design of the sole geometry of the club and how it rests on a flat surface - but there is nothing they can do with the design of the adapter itself to change it.

Well, I ask because Titleist's adapter changes lie and loft independently. I was hoping the 410 would simply adjust loft. If I'm hitting something straight, but too high, I don't need the face to change (at rest).

Right now, my 400 is doing well but it's a touch too high so I lose a few metres. When I drop it a degree, it's not straight anymore. Every time I think it'll give me better flight, but the directional misses aren't worth it.

Adding 1.5º upcoming during the winter seems hardly justifiable if I have to shut the face 2.7º. That's second-cut stuff...

Well, I ask because Titleist's adapter changes lie and loft independently. I was hoping the 410 would simply adjust loft. If I'm hitting something straight, but too high, I don't need the face to change (at rest).

Loft and lie can be independent, they are two different (and independent) axis of adjustment. The adapters that do not allow indepencent adjustment is actually a limitation of the adapter design. Just like loft and lie can be adjusted independently on an iron with a bending machine.

But Face angle and loft is not independent, it's really 2 "different" consequences of one type of adjustment.

Loft and lie can be independent, they are two different (and independent) axis of adjustment. The adapters that do not allow indepencent adjustment is actually a limitation of the adapter design. Just like loft and lie can be adjusted independently on an iron with a bending machine.

But Face angle and loft is not independent, it's really 2 "different" consequences of one type of adjustment.

I'm not sure I understand your point. You can choose to adjust one axis. The G30GG400 adapters were designed to adjust along two axes. Big Plus closed the face, Big Minus opened it. To me, that makes them less than ideal when all I want to adjust is flight apex.

So if these 410 adapters do the same thing, the only thing that *seems* handy is that the 3º flat, neutral setting might be handy because it shouldn't influence left-right flight (much; I know it'll have a tendency to push ATBE).

Anyhow, thanks for the information. At least we can now change hybrid shafts.

I'm not sure I understand your point. You can choose to adjust one axis. The G30GG400 adapters were designed to adjust along two axes. Big Plus closed the face, Big Minus opened it. To me, that makes them less than ideal when all I want to adjust is flight apex.

So if these 410 adapters do the same thing, the only thing that *seems* handy is that the 3º flat, neutral setting might be handy because it shouldn't influence left-right flight (much; I know it'll have a tendency to push ATBE).

Sorry, not sure what exactly you don't understand - so don't know if this will help or not.

My point was simply that:

• 'loft' (really effective loft) and lie adjustments are done on separate axis - so potentially can be adjusted independently (depending on the adapter design)
  • 'loft' (really effective loft) and face angle is the same adjustment axis - so can't be adjusted independently - no matter how the adapter is designed.

Sometimes the "loft" adjustments are marketed as loft adjustments, sometimes they were marketed as face angle adjustments - despite that, the underlying adjustment is doing the same thing in either case. It's not really a change in design, just different labeling.

If you still don't understand, you might have to clarify where the disconnect is if you want further clarification.

If you still don't understand, you might have to clarify where the disconnect is if you want further clarification.

OK, so loft and lie, I understand. If on the G410 you do a neutral, lower loft, the face is still neutral.

So for the sake of this discussion, let's only compare two settings, and they exist in both models.

Let's say you have a 10 degree driver. So the O setting is 10º and neutral "to the target".

Now, both clubs give you a setting to go to 11º loft.

You've said that the loft change would effectively close the face by 1.8º.

So, confirming, both the G30 adapter and the G410 adapter both close the face by 1.8º if in a setting of one degree higher loft.

If so, why are they tied together? That's what I don't understand... What's the rationale or whatever that when adjusting the loft, the neutrality goes away?

Does that make more sense?

If so, why are they tied together? That's what I don't understand... What's the rationale or whatever that when adjusting the loft, the neutrality goes away?

Does that make more sense?

I'll try, but it's a geometric relationship so not the easiest to explain in just words. But it's centered around the concept of face angle being defined as the direction the face is pointed with the head in it's naturally soled position and the shaft perpendicular to the target line.

OK think of it this way - take a head that's sitting at address in it's naturally soled position and has a zero face angle. Now think about bending the hosel (like you would with an iron) to make the loft lower. You can 'simulate' this by holding your driver at address and, instead of doing anything with the hosel, just tilt the shaft toward the target line to get a little more shaft lean WITHOUT letting the grip twist or changing the direction the face is pointing.

Now the head is no longer in it's naturally soled position and should be sitting up on it's leading edge because of the forward tilt or added loft. But since we are just simulating a change down at the hosel, from the simulated shaft is still perpendicular to the target line. The position we need it to be in to measure the face angle. So how do we get the head back to it's naturally soled position without changing which direction the shaft axis is pointing?

There is only one way for it to get back to it's naturally soled position - and that is to let it twist around the shaft axis in a way that opens up the face so that the sole get's back down on the ground. Now we have back in it's naturally soled position but with the more open face angle. All just because we changed the effective loft from a hosel adjustment (or from bending a hosel).

It's easier to understand once you see how the shaft is leaning at the various settings. When it leans forward, that means that when you set it (at address) back to plumb, you'll see the face close and the loft increase. When it leans backwards, the opposite happens. When it leans upright, well, that's upright. And down is flatter.

And because the Ping adapters are the simple kind, the adjustments simply lean the shaft to different places on the compass or "clock". Saying the adjustments offer 3 flat options is marketing, IMO. When the shaft points to anything south of 90 degrees (3 o'clock) to 270 (9 o'clock) the lie is flatter. This is something that was done on similar adapters for a decade. The only difference is that you can call the southern leans flatter and the northern ones normal, or you can call the southern leans normal, and the northern ones upright. Sounds like Ping has flattened the overall "native" lie of the hosel and is calling them normal and flatter.

Hold the shaft in front of you with the tip out at eye level. Rotate it and watch the change in where the tip points. You'll get it.

The compound adapters which have additional rings are much harder to explain and envision. They can do lie adjustments separate from the loft/face angle one.

M4 Driver
4, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

If you want a lower flight. Try changing to a lower spin shaft or go a flex stiffer or tee the ball lower or to a ball with less spin.

Thanks Stuart. I'm going to try to get my mind around this one. Much appreciated.

Check out this thread- video in first post explains it very well:

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1081535-how-adjustable-drivers-actually-work-everyone-should-be-required-to-watch-this-to-be-allowed-to-post-on-this-site-thanks-tom-wishon/page__pid__10133105#entry10133105

Ping G430 Max 9* HZRDUS Smoke RDX Blue 🇺🇸 LE

TM SIM Ti 5w Fuji Atmos Blue TS 7x

Ping G410 3h Fuji Atmos Blue TS 8HY

Titleist 816 5h Diamana Blue

Mizuno 919 Forged 6-P, HM Pro 5

Ping Glide Stealth 50 SS, 54 WS, 58 ES

Bettinardi Inovai 6.0 2022 slant

TM TP5

I would argue that because of the way adjustable hosels work (askew in a clock-like fashion), that there is no true "neutral face". Neutral would be a bonded hosel that is in perfectly straight. So you are forced to pick a slightly different angle than the true lie and face angle. Loft never really changes...just marketing IMO.

COBRA BIO CELL+ (9.5*)-MATRIX 8Q3 STIFF
TITLEIST 585H (21*)-TTDG S300
COBRA FLY Z PRO (5-PW)-TTDG S300
TAYLOR MADE TP Z (56*)-TTDG S300
BETTINARDI BABY BEN -33"

I just got a g410 3 wood and when you go use +1.5* loft on neutral it is very noticeably closed. When you use the +1.0* loft on the flat setting the the face does not seem as closed. Since I don’t have anything to actual measure them or set them side by side to compare it is really subjective. I have a hard time swinging and hitting anything with a noticeable closed face. I have not tried hitting it in the +1.0 flat setting maybe I will be able to. It’s amazing what you hear will make you do just b cause the way it looks.

Ping G425 9* ping tour 65 

Tmade Stealth 2 Plus 5w Kai’li white

Tmade Sim DHY Diamana limited

4 Taylormade GAPR Mid KBS stock Stiff

5 Srixon ZX4 mkii KBS/ 6 Srixon Zx5 mkii KBS
7-PW Srixon Z785 Project X Catalyst 100cw
 50* Ping Glide 4.0 z-115 

54* Cleveland Zipcore 
58* Cleveland Zipcore Full Face
Toulon Design Palm Beach/ Toulon Atlanta/ Evnroll ER11v/ Ping Vault Oslo