Single Length Updates (post'em up!)

OsnolaKinnard

I am curious about one length so just sniffing around. Really not sure I will try them, but, find it interesting and logical.

Looked at Cobra specs online and it’s interesting. The Tour are the same lie angle throughout - 62.5 I think. The ForgedTec and F9 have increasing lie angle from PW to 4i - seemed totally incorrect and at best completely backwards. I asked Cobra and they said not a typo. That the Tours were the first ones they did and they learned a lot. The increasing lie angle as you progress into longer clubs they found works better with one length.

Totally baffling and counterintuitive to me but now I really want to try them out to see the affect on setup, swing, contact and flight.

What have you folks that have tried these experienced?

It’s not a lot of lie angle change in the F8/9 OL, but there is some. There to combat toe droop in the lower lofted irons, as Cobra has found that people swing those clubs faster, even at the same length.

Cobra Forged OL same lie 4-P

I see no reason to have changing lies in the set.

WITB:
Driver: Ping G400 LST 8.5* Kuro Kage Silver TINI 70s
FW: Ping G25 4 wood Kuro Kage Silver TINI 80s
Utility: 20* King Forged Utility One Length C Taper Lite S
Irons: King Forged One Length 4-PW C Taper Lite S
Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Black Satin 50, 54, 58
Putter: Custom Directed Force Reno 2.0 48" 80* Lie Side Saddle

“It’s not a lot of lie angle change in the F8/9 OL, but there is some. There to combat toe droop in the lower lofted irons, as Cobra has found that people swing those clubs faster, even at the same length.”

Ok - that does make sense. Interesting. In variable length clubs you see that too where often folks have longer irons more upright than the lie progression would dictate. Thank you.

• Callaway Epic Max LS 10.5; Mitsubishi Diamana TB 60 S; 45.5”
  • Taylormade SIM Max 3w and 5w; Mitsubishi Diamana BF 70 S; 43.25” & 42.25”
  • Mizuno '21 CLK 19, 22 & 25; Fujikura Speeder EVO 75 HB Graphite S; Std L/L/L; sub for 5w, 4i & 5i
  • PXG 0311 P GEN3 PW-4i; Aerotech Steelfiber i95 stiff ; Std L/+0.75"/2 up
  • Vokey SM9 50F8 & 54S10 and SM8 58M8; Mitsubishi MMT 105 S in 50 & KBS 610 Wedge R+ in 54 & 58; Std L/+0.75"/1 up
  • Odyssey White Hot OG #1 Stroke Lab Putter; 35/74; stock Odyssey grip
  • JumboMax JMX UltraLite small on all clubs except putter

Anyone play their reg set up to 7 iron and add the one length from 6, 5 and 4 irons?

I play out of 2 bags. My main bag is OL 4-GW. My other bag that I keep at my vacation place is going to be 4-7 OL and the rest VL. I've only done practice and simulator so far and it's been fine, but I'll be alternating between the two this summer and hoping it turns out alright. I switched to OL in the fall but just couldn't justify the expense of replacing a whole other bag with all OL so I cheaped out and did the half set. Long irons were my main issue so I think I'll be alright.

Anyone play their reg set up to 7 iron and add the one length from 6, 5 and 4 irons?

somebody in this thread is doing that...had a long conversation about and he seems quite pleased with that type of setup.

That may have been me but its been a while and I thought my post was a different thread specifically about this setup.

Anyway, I have 4-7OL in x100 and 8-pw VL in x100 dg pro in the Cobra Forged models. Played like that for back half of last season and have no plans to try anything else unless ping or srixon release a single length set(I can dream lol)

Reason I like this setup is I hit a lot of flighted and partial shots with the 8-pw and couldn't get the feel with those swings with OL.

Best part to top it all off was I bought the set for $285 on here last year which was an absolute steal for the forged version of these clubs as they were going for $450 at the time.

Let me know if you guys have any specific questions as there seem to be a lot of interest in this type of setup.

Just purchased a few one length fitting irons to try out. will be interesting. f7 9i. f8 7i and f8 5i. Blending one length into my minimalist set.

Great setup for minimal set. I just ordered f9 OL 5i,7i,9i,gw just for a minimalist set.

Thanks. Trying to decide if I want to add a 3 hybrid to that as well but worry I don't have the swing speed to get the gapping with it. I hit a 7 iron 150.

I have an es14 monitor coming this week so I will test my distances

somebody in this thread is doing that...had a long conversation about and he seems quite pleased with that type of setup.

That may have been me but its been a while and I thought my post was a different thread specifically about this setup.

Anyway, I have 4-7OL in x100 and 8-pw VL in x100 dg pro in the Cobra Forged models. Played like that for back half of last season and have no plans to try anything else unless ping or srixon release a single length set(I can dream lol)

Reason I like this setup is I hit a lot of flighted and partial shots with the 8-pw and couldn't get the feel with those swings with OL.

Best part to top it all off was I bought the set for $285 on here last year which was an absolute steal for the forged version of these clubs as they were going for $450 at the time.

Let me know if you guys have any specific questions as there seem to be a lot of interest in this type of setup.

i opined back and forth with someone earlier in the thread as well. In the back and forth i ended up linking the thread Btbthf mentions, as it included many members seeing promising results with the approach. i am very happy with the setup.

Could I add a tiny bit of length to my 4 and 5 iron and appreciate the few extra yards and bigger gaps? sure.

Would I enjoy the consistency that a full OL set would bring to my setup? I bet I would.

my consensus is a good swing will translate to any club. YMMV

Radspeed 8, 13.5, 17.5/hzrdusgreentx                                                           Radspeed 21/tz4100m5+
Utility one length 3,4 iron/mmt105tx
                                                              Forged one length 6-9/x100 wedge onyx

vokey 46*8, 54*8, 62*8/s400 wedge onyx                                                    phantom x5/stabilitytour

I with the gapping issues in the 4 and 5, could you bend one either a little strong or weak to get proper gapping from your 6 iron and then have room for another club elsewhere in your bag? extra wood / hybrid or wedge may be?

A lot of talk on here about options in the irons (Single Length (SL) all the way through, Variable Length (VL) wedges, SL from 7up but VL below that), but not seen much about what people do above their longest iron.

Do you use a VL hybrid or SL hybrid? at what iron do you switch it up at due to gapping and what is your swing speed / 150 yard club

Do you use VL woods or SL Woods? If SL,what length and lofts?

Does your driver length match your woods?

A lot of talk on here about options in the irons (Single Length (SL) all the way through, Variable Length (VL) wedges, SL from 7up but VL below that), but not seen much about what people do above their longest iron.

Do you use a VL hybrid or SL hybrid? at what iron do you switch it up at due to gapping and what is your swing speed / 150 yard club

I switch between a VL 3 hybrid or a VL 4iron as my club above the SL 4iron. I get 10-20 yards more from my VL p790. 7-LW is VL. 150 club is usually 9 iron or PW

VL woods. VL driver. Swing speed of 118+ with driver. I got my grandad SL hybrids (7 iron length) and with his swing speed I'm trying to convince him to add some length cause he struggles to elevate them

Radspeed 8, 13.5, 17.5/hzrdusgreentx                                                           Radspeed 21/tz4100m5+
Utility one length 3,4 iron/mmt105tx
                                                              Forged one length 6-9/x100 wedge onyx

vokey 46*8, 54*8, 62*8/s400 wedge onyx                                                    phantom x5/stabilitytour

Update on the Cobra F9 SL irons

Much easier to hit in 5&6 iron. Doesn’t have near the feel of the Edel SLS irons and while I much prefer the look of the Edel irons, the F9 SL irons are solid and easy to play all the way throughout the set.

Going to keep hanging with the experiment. I think scoring will improve with the Cobras. My home course requires several long iron shots so I’m excited to see the playing difference between the two sets.

G430 Max 10K

HiBore 2w “Unicorn”

G410 3w & 3h

ZX7 MKII 4-A

Glide 4.0 54 & 58

Jailbird 380

18* utility iron single length 37.5"

15* 4wood 41.5"

8.5* driver 43.5"

150 yard club is an 8 iron.

WITB:

The f9 single length 5iron is amazing. I didn't think the f9 would be a big upgrade over my f7s, and I was wrong. The only thing I am struggling with is the irons with the kbs 90 shafts. Weird that I love the 5i with the kbs 80, but seem to struggle with dispersion on all the irons with kbs90. The f9 wedges have the kbs120 and I have always loved and hit that shaft well. Thinking of reshafting the irons with kbs 90 to the tour 120s.

I've been offered a great deal on a second hand set of f8 irons 5-GW with an option of the 22* hybrid as well.

My question is, is the 4 hybrid @ 22* much longer than the 5 iron @ 22.5* at the same shaft length (although 4 hybrid is graphite and iron steel)? with a 85mph driver swing speed I imagine my gapping will be an issue above the 6 iron. May be the 4 hybrid would be instead of the 5 iron for me rather than as well as... thoughts?

I wont get to demo them prior to purchase

Loved the idea of a 7 iron length 4 iron. Hated a gap wedge at 7 iron length. Just felt wrong and had no feel at all.

Honestly, if one fool with a name similar to being kicked in the balls didn't use them..we would be discussing them.

Just a passing fad and will be relegated to the annals of golf history like balata

I've been offered a great deal on a second hand set of f8 irons 5-GW with an option of the 22* hybrid as well.

My question is, is the 4 hybrid @ 22* much longer than the 5 iron @ 22.5* at the same shaft length (although 4 hybrid is graphite and iron steel)? with a 85mph driver swing speed I imagine my gapping will be an issue above the 6 iron. May be the 4 hybrid would be instead of the 5 iron for me rather than as well as... thoughts?

Hope this helps.

I use the F7 irons 5-GW. However, after a few rounds I acquired the 22* F8 hybrid and dropped the F7 5 iron. Never looked back. The hybrid provided me with more acceptable height, but didnt cause me any gapping issues at all.

Hope this helps.

I use the F7 irons 5-GW. However, after a few rounds I acquired the 22* F8 hybrid and dropped the F7 5 iron. Never looked back. The hybrid provided me with more acceptable height, but didnt cause me any gapping issues at all.

That does help. I'm anticipating that I will keep the 22 hybrid and drop the 5 iron and gap wedge out of the set.

Top of the bag will be cobra f7 7-8, cally big bertha 5w and a big bertha mini 1.5 14* until I get confident enough to put the driver back in play.

I don't think one length is perfect (I think an off the shelf 1/4" length set of irons would be a better suit for most from around 36" in the wedges to 38" in the long irons) , but as someone who only gets to play once or twice a month with a few range sessions in between, being able to reduce the variables for practice is a no brainer

I hit my f9 hybrid yesterday and it's higher-launching than the f8. At 19 degrees it's a legit 200 yard club that can hold a green. I thought about switching to VL this year but after one range session I'm reminded about the ease of OL

PING Rapture V2 with BB
PING Crossover - 3
PING Eye 2 + Becu 3-W with DG AMT S300
PING Eye 2 XG Sand and Lob wedges
PING Chipo!
PING Pal - Karsten

Got a demo 5 f7 one length to try out at the range... I really don't have the club speed to make use of it. Think I'm decided on sw-6i one length. 22* hybrid one length.

The f9 5i with the stock kbs 80 is much easier to launch and play than the stock f7 5i. You could always get it vs a one length hybrid and still play 6-sw f7.

Got a demo 5 f7 one length to try out at the range... I really don't have the club speed to make use of it. Think I'm decided on sw-6i one length. 22* hybrid one length.

The f9 5i with the stock kbs 80 is much easier to launch and play than the stock f7 5i. You could always get it vs a one length hybrid and still play 6-sw f7.

The set i will have next week is 22* f8 hybrid and then 5-GW F8 all one length. I think my swing speed will have me dropping the 5 iron and i think ill end up still using my regular gap wedge, but we shall see. I found standing over a 37.25 9 irons weird enough!

Loved the idea of a 7 iron length 4 iron. Hated a gap wedge at 7 iron length. Just felt wrong and had no feel at all.

Honestly, if one fool with a name similar to being kicked in the balls didn't use them..we would be discussing them.

Just a passing fad and will be relegated to the annals of golf history like balata

Balata was not a fad; it reigned king for the entire 20th centruy. It wasn't shunted aside; better technologies (urethane, combined with multi-layered balls) were developed. I would be curious what better technologies you're anticipating that will set aside single-length clubs.

I adopted single-length irons almost a year before BDC won anything on Tour. I hadn't even heard of the guy yet.

Just got a set of Forged Tec Black One at 38 inches with stock DG AMt White Stiff. One round and not too terrible to get used to EXCEPT I am hitting line drives with the 5 and 6 and not elevating like my normal variable length irons. Is this normal?

At first while you are still over thinking it, yes.

WITB:

Just got a set of Forged Tec Black One at 38 inches with stock DG AMt White Stiff. One round and not too terrible to get used to EXCEPT I am hitting line drives with the 5 and 6 and not elevating like my normal variable length irons. Is this normal?

Absolutely normal. Shorter shafts, so the loft has to be lower for the same distance.