Single HCP - improve mental Game for low Single hcp

Lip1337

Hello,

I broke into Single HCP in my third year and right now i am at 9.

Whats the Secret for going low? Play even par rounds or even better. (beside Technique and Lessons)

Is it just enjoiing the Sport we all Love and not beeing in the Office and don’t care about mistakes that Happen oncourse....

The last Point is pretty Hard for me, because i am ambitious and Love to compete. I try my best to forget about mistakes oncourse as fast as I can.

To be focused during the pre shot routine and the actual shot should be the most important part... and them execute

What are your experiences and tipps...

GD Tour AD TP 6X Big Bertha B21 8°

KBS Tour Proto 105X Callaway XForged'18 UT 18°

DG Tour Issue X100 Callaway XForged'18 UT 24°

DG Tour Issue X100 Callaway Apex Pro'19 5-PW

DG Tour Issue Onyx S400 SM9 50°/54°/58° Jetblack

Odyssey ProType Black #2

Vice Pro Plus

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Big thing for me is if you are in trouble, DO NOT BRING DOUBLE BOGEY INTO PLAY. Double is a round wrecker and unless your good enough on the par 5s and short, short par 4's to birdie, its hard to make it up.

Similarly dont let par go. A hard earned, grind-it-out par can do more for your confidence during the round than an easy birdie.

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

I’ve heard the best way is to improve your golf swing. I don’t believe mental game will take you from high single to low single digits...

TaylorMade SIM Max 10.5* - Fujikura Ventus Black 7X
TaylorMade M5 15* - Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2TS X
Callaway 815 Alpha Hybrid 21* - Mitsubishi Tensei Pro White 90TX
Miura Baby Blade 4-P - KBS $-Taper X
Miura Wedges - 52*, 56* - KBS $-Taper X
Callaway MD4 Tactical 60*
PXG Darkness Operator

Just wanted to add confidence is key. I mean 100%. One day after a lesson my coach gave me THE best motivational talk. I’m guessing cuz it was really hot and he was sitting in a golf cart , lol!

He told me that my swing looked awesome and to go play.

I go play and have the best round ever.

Motivation is a hell of a thing.

Also I remember the round and my swing was pretty rough, I bagged driver and used only hybrids and irons . Still best ever due to wedges. Lots of birds pars and GIRs

Hello,

I broke into Single HCP in my third year and right now i am at 9.

Whats the Secret for going low? Play even par rounds or even better. (beside Technique and Lessons)

Is it just enjoiing the Sport we all Love and not beeing in the Office and don't care about mistakes that Happen oncourse....

The last Point is pretty Hard for me, because i am ambitious and Love to compete. I try my best to forget about mistakes oncourse as fast as I can.

To be focused during the pre shot routine and the actual shot should be the most important part... and them execute

What are your experiences and tipps...

You're kind of limited if you exclude actual improvement. Then it becomes confidence, but its hard to have confidence if your swing produces erratic results. Kind of a chicken-or-egg situation. The other factor is decision making. Pay attention, learn and understand your shot patterns. Once you've done that, play shots that give you acceptable results 70% of the time. That means do NOT chase flags on the edge of the green, unless you're in wedge range. Don't take on risky carries. Aim towards the side of a fairway AWAY from OB or water. There are systems you can read about, one is presented in a book called Lowest Score Wins, and I know there are others.

But really, the best way to shoot lower scores is to improve your skills.

I have dipped into the single digits three years ago. I think what changed my game was two things, my driving and my short game. My driver before was erratic but when I embraced the fade, everything became predictable. My short game, I practiced chipping and putting a lot. I have become confident with 100 yards below and lag putting is one of my favorite things, wherein before I hated it.

Like you, I want to improve more. And one of the things that I have noticed when I got the chance to play with very low single handicap players is that their routine never changes, regardless of what happens. They stick to their psr, they do not rush or become overly cautious. You can see in their faces the commitment to the shot and the concentration. And after they hit, they are back to normal. I guess in this way, their body and mind become more familiar with what will happen since it's the same every time before they execute their shots. Their swing tempo, it is always the same.

I guess by doing this over and over again, they seem to grind unknowingly? They just stick to what they do and execute and hope for the best. If it does not work out, then repeat the process until they get it on the course. Unlike myself, I get discouraged by bad shots, I give up when I get a double bogey. I am mentally weak until a buddy of mine told me to copy what those good players do.

I think if I am able to do that, I will get a little bit better. I mean I can get lessons and practice a ton but I don't have the money and I don't have the time to do that. Plus the guys that I played with, they have very unique swings, not textbook but functional, so that gave me hope that I can be as consistent as they are if I apply those mental thoughts.

Last year before the end of our season, I tried my best to apply these mental thoughts. And it seems it worked because I shot in the high 70's at the easier courses we play and low 80's in three of the last courses we played that were difficult for my standards. I was able to enjoy the round more because I knew within myself that I have tried my best and never did I give up once while playing.

Competition. Start playing against and with people better than you.

Figure out how to play depending on format.

Srixon Z 785 9.5 Atmos Tour Spec Black 60X
Srixon Z F85 15 Atmos Tour Spec Black 60X
Srixon Z U85 18 Steelfiber i110 S
Srixon Z FORGED 3-9 Steelfiber i110 S
Cleveland RTX4 46 Steelfiber i110 S
Cleveland RTX4 Forged 50 Steelfiber i125 S
Cleveland RTX4 58 Steelfiber i125 S
Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft Premier 11S

Bettinardi QB6 DASS High Polish
Srixon ZStar XV Yellow

I've heard the best way is to improve your golf swing. I don't believe mental game will take you from high single to low single digits...

Agreed. The stats don't lie.

http://www.thegrint.com/range/2013/03/golf-tips-gir/

Im not sure how to mentally improve such that you consistently hit 2-3 more GIRs per round.

I've heard the best way is to improve your golf swing. I don't believe mental game will take you from high single to low single digits...

http://www.thegrint..../golf-tips-gir/

Im not sure how to mentally improve such that you consistently hit 2-3 more GIRs per round.

What's real deceptive on that stat is that FIR and good positioning matters a bunch. Tee game prowess goes hand in hand with it.

http://www.thegrint.com/range/2013/03/golf-tips-gir/

That's not really hard...some guys aim for the shot they hope to hit more than shot they hit 90+% of the time then either missing the green short and/or left or right

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

http://www.thegrint..../golf-tips-gir/

That's not really hard...some guys aim for the shot they hope to hit more than shot they hit 90+% of the time then either missing the green short and/or left or right

I can see why this might be valid, but I would think getting to single digits in the first place generally requires the same approach of hitting the higher percentage shot. I would also agree with the above that being in better position off the tee directly impacts your likely hood of hitting the green. The reality is the biggest difference between index levels is ball striking ability. Everything about the game gets easier when you hit the ball better. Mental mistakes might be 1-2 strokes a round but if you want to drop 5+ strokes I'd imagine you need to strike the ball better/more consistently

It's not really even about being a better ball striker. It's about consistency. You can play scratch or better golf playing wipe slices or sling hooks all day long most courses that are fairly open.

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

Just wanted to add confidence is key. I mean 100%. One day after a lesson my coach gave me THE best motivational talk. I’m guessing cuz it was really hot and he was sitting in a golf cart , lol!

He told me that my swing looked awesome and to go play.

I go play and have the best round ever.

Motivation is a hell of a thing.

Also I remember the round and my swing was pretty rough, I bagged driver and used only hybrids and irons . Still best ever due to wedges. Lots of birds pars and GIRs

My first coach taught me from when I started until I was about 17 (3 years in). Then he left my club and went somewhere else. I ran into him a couple of years later and he asked me what my handicap was. I said 5. He said, and I quote, "it's too high, get it down". That was it. And I did. He was right.

with respect to the OP, if you want a good starting point on the mental game, I'd suggest Zen Golf. I've always found that pretty good stuff. As to course strategy, pick your battles. On tough holes, play for pars, not birdies. Trying to make birdie is how people make double. Birdies will come from par fives and occasionally hitting it close. There are few people out there who can force birdies, especially on tougher holes.

Lastly, find some scratch players and play with them. Take an honest look at their game and yours and see where you fall short. Then practice the hell out of it. There is a big difference between 9 and scratch. 9 in three years is decent progress. Stick at it and put the work in and you'll get there.

Ping G400 LST 9° Diamana white 63x
Ping G410 LST 3 wood Diamana Thump x
Srixon ZX Utility 19 UST Recoil 95x

Srixon ZX7 4-AW C-taper S+

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

Odyssey Eleven Tour-Lined Slant

I’ve heard the best way is to improve your golf swing. I don’t believe mental game will take you from high single to low single digits...

I went from a 8 to a 1 a few years ago by improving my preshot routine and picking smarter targets. Helped eliminate the triples and quads. Maybe this is a rare case though.

Rogue ST Max LS (8.0), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX 

Cobra Aerojet (14.5), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX

TSi2 (18, A1), Tensei AV Raw White 85TX

U85 (22), X100

i210 (5-UW), X100

Glide 3.0 (54.12SS, 60.06TS)

35” Daddy Long Legs

Srixon Z-Star XV

I went from a 8 to a 1 a few years ago by improving my preshot routine and picking smarter targets. Helped eliminate the triples and quads. Maybe this is a rare case though.

If you were an 8 because of a couple/few triples/quads per round, then I could see how you could get to a 1 without actually hitting it better. However, your typical 8 doesn't make many triples or quads, they make too many 5's that should have been 4's. That will need better ball striking to fix. So yes, I think you are a rare case.

Taylormade M5 9* w/Prolaunch Blue 45
Taylormade Stealth 3HL 16.5* w/Proforce V2 65 
Taylormade M2 5HL 21* w/Proforce V2 65
Adams Pro Mini Hybrids: 23*, 26* w/VS Proto 95
Srixon Zx65 Combo Irons (Z565 6, Z765 7-9, Z965 PW) w/TT AMT Black
Vokeys: SM7 52-12F, SM7 58-12D, WedgeWorks 60-10V (at 62-12), all w/Pro Modus3 115 Wedge
Odyssey DXF Doublewide

If you were an 8 because of a couple/few triples/quads per round, then I could see how you could get to a 1 without actually hitting it better. However, your typical 8 doesn't make many triples or quads, they make too many 5's that should have been 4's. That will need better ball striking to fix. So yes, I think you are a rare case.

You don't think that a better pre-shot routine and having a target you are comfortable hitting to can significantly impact the quality of your shots? I certainly think it can! Swing certainly plays a part, but you can get to a low single digit with a crap swing and lots of confidence in what you are doing!

U85 (22), X100

i210 (5-UW), X100

35” Daddy Long Legs

Srixon Z-Star XV

I do. I am an example of you you can get to a mid-single digit cap with a less than perfect swing with a good psr and course management. I just don't think I'm going to get to scratch without actually improving my ballstriking.

Taylormade M5 9* w/Prolaunch Blue 45
Taylormade Stealth 3HL 16.5* w/Proforce V2 65 
Taylormade M2 5HL 21* w/Proforce V2 65
Adams Pro Mini Hybrids: 23*, 26* w/VS Proto 95
Srixon Zx65 Combo Irons (Z565 6, Z765 7-9, Z965 PW) w/TT AMT Black
Vokeys: SM7 52-12F, SM7 58-12D, WedgeWorks 60-10V (at 62-12), all w/Pro Modus3 115 Wedge
Odyssey DXF Doublewide

I was a 4-5 cap hitting only 1/3 of the green in reg a few years ago because I played it safe and can chip and putt.

If it hit it into the trees, I hit it out. If you can't get to the green, there's no point into doing anything else than getting it back into play.

While all of that is well and good, and that generally takes a really high score out of play, really only started going low when my full swing improved, almost never hit it into trees to begin with, and rarely make a double bogey, and doubled my birdie percentage. Course management and the mental game only takes you so far.

Granted, there will always be outliers, which is why you need to understand your game and do some in-depth stats to see where you're losing shots. Back then I averaged a 3 putt once every 11 holes... am I really saving that much to try to get that once every 13 holes, or would I be better off improving my driving so that I'm hitting 2 more fairways, and improving my iron game so it translates into 3 more GIRs?

I know this does not count but since it is winter here and golf is just around the corner, I tried messing around with my simulator. I improved my PSR and my routine and my mind set of never giving up and just repeat the whole process on each and every shot, even if I don't get the result I wanted.

In the last 5 games that I have played at the same course, I have shot an average of 2 over par in 9 holes.

It was less stressful golf for me.

I can't wait to bring this on the course and see if it improves my game.

I do. I am an example of you you can get to a mid-single digit cap with a less than perfect swing with a good psr and course management. I just don't think I'm going to get to scratch without actually improving my ballstriking.

Fair!! I guess it depends on the player. For me, it was a lack of commitment that was leading to off the planet shots a few times per round! To me, a reduction in those shots is better ball striking! Everyone has their own issues and recipes for success, it is what makes golf great!

U85 (22), X100

i210 (5-UW), X100

35” Daddy Long Legs

Srixon Z-Star XV

I was a 2 handicap after playing for 18 months. I started playing golf at age 54. Did I have a good swing? no, but it was good enough. I never practiced putting and seldom practiced chipping. I had Zero short game inside 100 yards. I didn't even know that part of the game existed. I've still never had a lesson. So how did I get to a 2? Staying out of trouble and learning that every shot does not have to be perfect. In fact some can be ugly as long as they don't add strokes.

I don't understand the "mental" side of the game at all. I play the game of golf. I don't worry about the mental stuff, so I don't need to solve the mental side of the game.

To score low 70's you need to stay away from trouble and play consistent golf. Does not need to be perfect. Just play the game on every shot.

One other thing that helps and I guess you could say this is a mental drill......move up a few tee boxes every once in a while. Its fun and you'll learn to play for birdies. It really does train you mentally to plan, expect and make birdies.