March Madness - 2019 NCAA Basketball Tournament Discussion

Mych

Duke is like the LeBron Miami Heat.

They have 3 very good players with 3 very clear roles/hierarchy. But they rarely get anything from anyone else.

If RJ Barrett goes like 5/18 in a tournament game they'll probably lose. Because when he and Zion aren't at full capacity (Zion I think is incapable of bad games) they struggle to score and don't shoot the 3 well

I mostly watch Duke because of Barrett.

I watch because of Zion. Coach K must have instructed Tre Jones to shoot more, because the last two games I think he’s taken almost as many shots as he has the rest of the season. Reddish really isn’t giving them anything right, he and Pat White are lucky to draw iron shooting. One of them needs to come out of the slump.

Playing Duke, I would,play a collapsing zone all game long, and every time Zion or Barret touched the ball, heavily overplay their left hand and then double down on their right. Don’t let either one beat you with their left hand, and do everything possible to get them to kick it out and make a perimeter shooter beat you.

They have 3 very good players with 3 very clear roles/hierarchy. But they rarely get anything from anyone else.

If RJ Barrett goes like 5/18 in a tournament game they'll probably lose. Because when he and Zion aren't at full capacity (Zion I think is incapable of bad games) they struggle to score and don't shoot the 3 well

I watch because of Zion��. Coach K must have instructed Tre Jones to shoot more, because the last two games I think he’s taken almost as many shots as he has the rest of the season. Reddish really isn’t giving them anything right, he and Pat White are lucky to draw iron shooting. One of them needs to come out of the slump.

Playing Duke, I would,play a collapsing zone all game long, and every time Zion or Barret touched the ball, heavily overplay their left hand and then double down on their right. Don’t let either one beat you with their left hand, and do everything possible to get them to kick it out and make a perimeter shooter beat you.

Pretty much yeah. I think in a 7 game series Duke would win actually pretty comfortably. But single game elimination someone is going to throw a new scheme at them and they are so dependant on RJ and Zion. Jack White hadn't made a 3pter in 2 months at one point which is simply incredible. Reddish doesn't create his shot really at this point

So if Barrett has an off night, I feel like unless they hit the shooting lottery, they can lose to even decent teams

But... Zion and Barrett are 2 of the top players in the country, possibly the two best players (Barrett has become a bit underrated, if that's possible). So they'll still be the favorite

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I watch because of Zion��. Coach K must have instructed Tre Jones to shoot more, because the last two games I think he’s taken almost as many shots as he has the rest of the season. Reddish really isn’t giving them anything right, he and Pat White are lucky to draw iron shooting. One of them needs to come out of the slump.

Pretty much yeah. I think in a 7 game series Duke would win actually pretty comfortably. But single game elimination someone is going to throw a new scheme at them and they are so dependant on RJ and Zion. Jack White hadn't made a 3pter in 2 months at one point which is simply incredible. Reddish doesn't create his shot really at this point

So if Barrett has an off night, I feel like unless they hit the shooting lottery, they can lose to even decent teams

But... Zion and Barrett are 2 of the top players in the country, possibly the two best players (Barrett has become a bit underrated, if that's possible). So they'll still be the favorite

Does last nights win switch them and Virginia as 1 and 2 seeds?

I still think their free throw shooting will cost them a game and a chance at a championship.

Who are the #1's? Pretty top heavy no? Aren't Duke, Gonzaga and Virginia still gonna be #1's? I thought those 3 we're kinda locked in. I don't watch every team though as mentioned

Thought the ACC had a chance at 3 top seeds with UNC aswell

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Who are the #1's? Pretty top heavy no? Aren't Duke, Gonzaga and Virginia still gonna be #1's? I thought those 3 we're kinda locked in. I don't watch every team though as mentioned

Thought the ACC had a chance at 3 top seeds with UNC aswell

Coming into the tournament they had NC ars a 1 and Duke as a 2. I could see them them both as 1’s along with Gonzaga. Not sure if Virginia loses its’s, or who would take it.

Kentucky maybe? Maybe Duke has to win tonight to get a 1 or they leave it who it originally was.

If Tennessee wins their tournament are they in the running for a 1?

The problem for Tennessee and Michigan/ Michigan St. is that they will probably make the bracket Sunday morning before the SEC and Big Ten finals are played. All 3 will probably be kept on the 2 line. It's possible they could make multiple brackets, but that's a lot more work for a committee to do.

Once the Oregon/ Washington game is over, the field of 68 should be set. They will just be waiting for the automatic qualifiers to be decided.

If Tennessee wins their tournament are they in the running for a 1?

The problem for Tennessee and Michigan/ Michigan St. is that they will probably make the bracket Sunday morning before the SEC and Big Ten finals are played. All 3 will probably be kept on the 2 line. It's possible they could make multiple brackets, but that's a lot more work for a committee to do.

Once the Oregon/ Washington game is over, the field of 68 should be set. They will just be waiting for the automatic qualifiers to be decided.

Good point. Although I kind of lean towards thinking Tennessee deserves one if they beat Auburn.

Maybe they go NC and Tennessee as the overall 4 & 5 seed (1 & 2 in the region). If Tennessee wins they’re rhe higher, if they lose, the lower?

That way they can have it basically done.

I think Virginia and Duke get top 2 overall seeds and Mich St and Gonzaga get the other 1's. I think the tournament committee will discount UNCs two wins over Zion-less Duke. If UNC is the top ranked 2 seed and in the Gonzaga or Mich St bracket, I think they'll be one of my final 4 picks. Tennessee is playing great ball right now also. I would hate to be a 1 seed and see them at the bottom of my bracket.

"Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
WITB: PXG 0311 ~ Ping Anser 4w @16.5 ~ Cobra F6 Baffler @18.5 ~ Titleist T300 4-P ~ Titleist Vokey 48, 54, 58 ~ Cleveland HB 8

MSU has an outside chance of claiming a #1 seed. Only if they win the B1G 'ship. Very nervous about the game. Beating your arch rival 3x in a season is a difficult proposition. UM has been exposed twice. But Beilein is to good of a coach to not make adjustments for this game. Winston remains the key. MSU by a point.

The #1 seeds: Duke, Virginia, Gonzaga, UNC (by a whisker over MSU, assuming a W). MSU #2 seed in Midwest.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

Agreed, Zion is incapable of bad games because he affects the game in so many ways. I was a firm believer that RJ Barrett could still be the #1 pick but that's all but over now. It doesnt even matter what stats Zion puts up, the eye test is through the roof with him. Plays hard, plays D, and is too strong to stop in the paint. Who goes 13/13 in a big game and no one even makes a big deal of it?

Cam Reddish is the one that needs to pick it up the most IMO. fouling, doesnt always run the floor, and just doesnt seem to have the want to win that Trey Jones and Zion have. Hes the one that needs to be the floor spacer too.

Word is Gonzaga may lose a 1 seed due to that loss to St Marys, however they will end up in the west bracket either way so it really doesnt matter if they are a 1 or 2. Ill go with Duke, UV, Gonzaga, and MSU if they win, or TEN if they dont.

Callaway

I'm super pumped for the tournament although my two teams (Kansas and Michigan) have no chance of winning it all this year imo.

I can put together a bracket contest and give out some of our company's swag to the winner.

These are my 2 fave teams too, but in reverse order. I would have to agree. Down year for KU by their standards. UM has the better chance with some decent experience.

Callaway

Agreed, Zion is incapable of bad games because he affects the game in so many ways. I was a firm believer that RJ Barrett could still be the #1 pick but that's all but over now. It doesnt even matter what stats Zion puts up, the eye test is through the roof with him. Plays hard, plays D, and is too strong to stop in the paint. Who goes 13/13 in a big game and no one even makes a big deal of it?

Cam Reddish is the one that needs to pick it up the most IMO. fouling, doesnt always run the floor, and just doesnt seem to have the want to win that Trey Jones and Zion have. Hes the one that needs to be the floor spacer too.

Word is Gonzaga may lose a 1 seed due to that loss to St Marys, however they will end up in the west bracket either way so it really doesnt matter if they are a 1 or 2. Ill go with Duke, UV, Gonzaga, and MSU if they win, or TEN if they dont.

I agree about Cam (have mentioned it a couple of times here), he’s just not bringing much right now. It’s funny, in the first round, when he played Goldwire and the big kid off the bench (can’t remeber his name), their added energy seemed to really pick them up. I think O’Connell could be a big factor in the tournament as he really is a true outside threat.

Have you every seen anyone get off the floor quicker than Zion!?

I don’t know if they ever factor history in (I’m sure they probably don’t), but Virginia’s post season history really leaves me questioning a #1 seed for them. I’m sure they’ll still get it, but it’s time to play like one.

I agree about Cam (have mentioned it a couple of times here), he’s just not bringing much right now. It’s funny, in the first round, when he played Goldwire and the big kid off the bench (can’t remeber his name), their added energy seemed to really pick them up. I think O’Connell could be a big factor in the tournament as he really is a true outside threat.

Have you every seen anyone get off the floor quicker than Zion!?

I don’t know if they ever factor history in (I’m sure they probably don’t), but Virginia’s post season history really leaves me questioning a #1 seed for them. I’m sure they’ll still get it, but it’s time to play like one.

Shawn Marion was the only one ive seen with a second jump like zion. He was a damn pogo stick in his prime. He weighed about 80 lbs less though, lol.

Im going to have UVA going all the way in one of my money brackets. I usually make 3 in our $15 pool. Being in the Midwest, no one in my pool will be on them due to their recent failures and low brand appeal. Its more of a contrarian pick, since our pool has 80-100 entries, Duke will be picked 30+ times so you need a super clean bracket to get in top 3 even if you pick them as the winner. Ill prob take Tennessee once too.

Goldwire and Rajanovic or whatever it was. They were awesome! proves a great saying in sports "hard work beats talent when talent doesnt work hard"

Callaway

Zion is a unique dude that's for sure. He's got a bit of Blake Griffin in him too (poor Blake, he's actually really good but doesn't get enough credit). But he's got a much higher defensive ceiling than Blake

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Zion is a unique dude that's for sure. He's got a bit of Blake Griffin in him too (poor Blake, he's actually really good but doesn't get enough credit). But he's got a much higher defensive ceiling than Blake

He’s afar better passer right now at 18 or 19 years old than Blake ever was too. But I’ve never been a big fan of his, Ive never thought he made his teammates better, but also couldn’t put a team on his shoulders and make a deep run.

He’s afar better passer right now at 18 or 19 years old than Blake ever was too. But I’ve never been a big fan of his, Ive never thought he made his teammates better, but also couldn’t put a team on his shoulders and make a deep run.

I try to be a bit more reserved in comparing guys these days. I remember when Wiggins was McGrady 2.0 and Jabari was Carmelo 2.0. Now both guys are considered bad basketball players, let alone stars.

It's hard to be great in the NBA. Even being the best player on a 48 win team is really hard. Blake is a 23-24 and 10 guy who is generally considered one of the best frontcourt passers in the league. Also was the #2 guy on a 50 win team every year.

Zion looks awesome. He might be the best player in the NBA. But I remember when markelle Fultz was the next James Harden

Zion is typically considered to be in the Davis/Oden/Durant level of prospect.these guys rarely miss....but Blake is still really good. I remember Jalen Rose yelling at guys about Wiggins, saying he'll be lucky to be as good as DeMar DeRozan (this was before DeRozan made his leap even). He'll never be as good as DeRozan.

So we'll see. But he's an awesome prospect

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I try to be a bit more reserved in comparing guys these days. I remember when Wiggins was McGrady 2.0 and Jabari was Carmelo 2.0. Now both guys are considered bad basketball players, let alone stars.

It's hard to be great in the NBA. Even being the best player on a 48 win team is really hard. Blake is a 23-24 and 10 guy who is generally considered one of the best frontcourt passers in the league. Also was the #2 guy on a 50 win team every year.

Zion looks awesome. He might be the best player in the NBA. But I remember when markelle Fultz was the next James Harden

Zion is typically considered to be in the Davis/Oden/Durant level of prospect.these guys rarely miss....but Blake is still really good. I remember Jalen Rose yelling at guys about Wiggins, saying he'll be lucky to be as good as DeMar DeRozan (this was before DeRozan made his leap even). He'll never be as good as DeRozan.

So we'll see. But he's an awesome prospect

Yep, just personal opinion.

The one thing that will be greatly different for Zion is in the NBA he’s not going to be so much stronger than everyone else like he is now. He does overpower a lot of people physically now. I am really glad to hear he acknowledged his poor free throw shooting and was much better. Concentration?

Zion is def in that upper echelon of top picks. LBJ and KD level. Oden too for that matter, poor guy. Even a Michigan fan like myself feels for him. I see he is on the OSU coaching staff which is cool.

Anyways, those level of NBA player are cant miss, with the exception of debilitating injury. I would put Fultz in the Oden injury category at the moment, albeit he def was not an upper echelon pick. His grade wasnt nearly what KD, LBJ, Melo, etc were. He literally couldnt(maybe still cant) raise his arm over his head to shoot like he normally had. Its an obscure injury yes, but his other skills are still there. He and Luka are the only 2 teenagers to have a triple double in NBA history...

Personally I love to compare prospects to current or former players. Its the best way to visualize what a player does on the court. The key IMO is to understand that its a style of play, not a level of play that is being compared. Jabari is actually much like carmelo. He plays no D, but is a 6'8 versatile scorer with strength over speed. Hes just not as good at it. He wasnt in college or HS either so was to be expected i guess. The comparison still rings true for me due to style match. Just my perspective on comparisons because im sure I will do it many more times!

Callaway

Jabari was actually like Carmelo for sure, just much much worse it turned out

I'm struggling to place RJ a bit. And this is important to me as a massive Canadian homer (gooooo Jamal Murray!)....I'm not quite sure who he is. Hes a very aggressive attacker and i think will get to the line a ton. Hes a pretty good passer though doesn't pass enough. And his shot has potential but isn't fantastic. Most wings now are the inverse (Paul George , Khris Middleton types who can shoot but don't put it on the floor super well)

Demar Derozan actually might be a great comp for Barrett. I feel like i could've just described Derozan. Though he is passing a lot more in the Spurs system and his last year in Toronto. I think Barrett has that kind of game. He'll get to the line 7-9 times and make a lot of 2's

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Jabari was actually like Carmelo for sure, just much much worse it turned out

I'm struggling to place RJ a bit. And this is important to me as a massive Canadian homer (gooooo Jamal Murray!)....I'm not quite sure who he is. Hes a very aggressive attacker and i think will get to the line a ton. Hes a pretty good passer though doesn't pass enough. And his shot has potential but isn't fantastic. Most wings now are the inverse (Paul George , Khris Middleton types who can shoot but don't put it on the floor super well)

Demar Derozan actually might be a great comp for Barrett. I feel like i could've just described Derozan. Though he is passing a lot more in the Spurs system and his last year in Toronto. I think Barrett has that kind of game. He'll get to the line 7-9 times and make a lot of 2's

Yeah early derozen is a good comp. RJ hasnt been quite the passer I had hoped for, and looking back at his HS and FIBA stats, he wasnt really then either. Not sure what i was hoping for, but he is a great thin frame scorer, and should be a slash first wing. He seems to have a better personality and competitiveness than Wiggins, which is probably Barrett's floor, and hopefully he develops into the mamba!.

Callaway

ESPN Tournament Challenge - WRX

Come join the "WRX" group in ESPN Tournament Challenge and see if your bracket beats the rest. #bracket http://fantasy.espn.com/tournament-challenge-bracket/2019/en/sharer?redirect=tcmen%3A%2F%2Fx-callback-url%2FshowGroup%3FgroupID%3D2972589

PW is wrx2019

B1G regular season co-champions. B1G tourney champions. Beat UM 3x in the last month. And we're theoretical the worst #2 seed? No friggen' way!!! Was the committee paying any attention to the game? Or had they already penciled in Michigan with a W and seeded them accordingly? Because it sure appears that way. With only 20 minutes till air time. Michigan gets beneficial seeding, in the softest region of the four, while having achieved nothing.

Move the final game to earlier in the day. Better yet, play it on Saturday.

Let's roll. Bring it on. Go Green.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs