SC300 coming in January!?!?

"Smash factor is calculated by ball speed divided by swing speed in our units. This is main reason we see high smash factor readings compared to other launch monitors."

That makes no sense. Smash factor is swing speed divided by ball speed. If they are seeing high numbers for SF it isn't because the maths is wrong, it's because BS is overstated or SS is understated.

I think the person replying was fobbing me off because they misunderstood my comment about high smash factors. My issue was that on the app, on the first page of summary statistics, the smash factor for my 7 iron is showing an average of 8.83, but on at the screen showing the 7 iron average stats, the smash factor average is showing as 1.39.

On the screen showing individual shots for the 7 iron, is obvious that 1.39 was the correct number. Its just an error on the maths on the first stats page that is showing the wrong calculation.

I think the measured variables are close to the true values. The numbers shown on the sc300 were very similar to those shown a few minutes later when my coach got his trackman out. We didn't test them together since the trackman would have to sit 5 feet behind the SC300 and that might have skewed the readings.

I have the SC300, and have a few sessions under my belt. I did have some trouble with the unit resetting club head loft degrees each time I used it u til I set the app up right. I spoke to them at Voice Caddie about it and there is a few bugs in their app software (for example the 5 iron setting in the app doesn’t have a 25* setting, just two 24* in the drop down choice, likely the person coding missed this value). But in the unit you can adjust manually each time you hit it (not a problem if your 5i isn’t 25*).

It does not measure spin, in my conversation they are waiting to add that, as they are working on an upgrade to the firmware. The Mevo does measure spin, and the folks at Mevo told me that you only need the dots inside, as it accurately will measure spin outdoors with out dots (this is an area that has me doubting whether to return the sc300 and go Mevo, or wait and hope with the sc300).

As far as accuracy I have found that the SW is not accurate, I was hitting one the range this AM in 70* temps no breeze and was measuring each shot’s total flight with a laser. The SC300 came up short with each shot by anywhere between 8-12 yards. I found the 9 iron on down very accurate though. The 9 iron was scary accurate ever on mis-hits. The driver was accurate for the most part, it when I hit a double cross or hard hook, it often would misread distance. (Ball would go 240-250 and would register 270-280). On solidly hit shots I found it accurate with woods and hybrids.

**All shots were on a grass range**

I will have a few more range sessions while I’m down here in Florida and then decide. I wish I had a Mevo for a side by side comparison .

Voice Caddie SC300 Day 1 Review and Questions.

So I have been itching to get back out on the course. Some background on me. 15-20 years ago it would not have been a surprise to shoot 75 or better but I have played around 10 rounds over the last 5 years total so I am not very good any more. I have never been on a real launch monitor and really never had a lesson. I am a big athletic guy and years ago I could hit the ball with the best of them.

I have decided that 2019 is the year I get my game back and plan to walk 9 holes 4-5 days a week for exercise. I have upgraded some 10 year old equipment and today was the day I took it all out to the course/range for the first time. I have always hit the ball extremely high if that has an impact.

I live in Raleigh NC which is about 315’ above sea level. It has been extremely wet over the last few weeks and today was about 60 degrees but the air did feel a bit thick.

I started on the range (which used mats because it is so wet). I hit 25 7 irons to start. I could tell right away that the distance on the launch monitor felt off. When I striped a ball it was going 150ish but the launch monitor said 165 (which is honestly what I would expect on a hot summer day).

I moved on to different clubs and it felt like the results it gave me got worse as I moved up the bag. My laser and the launch monitor were not seeing the same things.

I then went out and played 9 holes. I used the launch monitor on almost every tee shot. It just felt like the real carry distance and what it said were always 20-30 yards apart no matter what club I hit.

I guess my questions are did I get a lemon or were the atmospheric conditions/bad spin rates to blame here?

I have attached some pics of the stats. In general, zero chance I carried a drive over 240 today. The 5 and 6 iron were on the course, teed up on par 3's and both shots were 20-25 yards shorter than what the machine said. The one PW was my wife so ignore that...

Carry/Swing Speed

https://imgur.com/gallery/LqH6DF4

Ball Speed/Launch

https://imgur.com/gallery/mjwfVN2

I apologize if imgur links are not allowed, I could not find anywhere that spelled that out

I have a ton of screenshots and can build a spreadsheet of how wrong this was if anyone thinks its helpful. I am really just trying to figure out if I got a lemon and need to return it. Concept is really cool but it just seemed extremely inaccurate and biased to the high side for me!

Also interested in hearing about setting the lofts for each club. I have tried no less than 5 times but they keep resetting to the orig al values. Getting pretty annoyed about that.

Since I was curious about the SC300, and in the market for a somewhat affordable launch monitor, I emailed support about how the App measures/calculates spin. This was their response:

Spin will be guesstimate based off other factor in SC300.

At this time we did remove spin and will be adding at later date.

So, no spin measurements on SC300... Feature is not currently available.

i'd love to see how the stats compare to the SC200 (as an owner). Anyone have both they can put side by side?

This^

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

Since I was curious about the SC300, and in the market for a somewhat affordable launch monitor, I emailed support about how the App measures/calculates spin. This was their response:

Spin will be guesstimate based off other factor in SC300.

At this time we did remove spin and will be adding at later date.

So, no spin measurements on SC300... Feature is not currently available.

I suspected as much, unfortunate but I am not surprised. Thanks for asking them and posting here.

Swing hard in case you hit it!

I have the SC300, and have a few sessions under my belt. I did have some trouble with the unit resetting club head loft degrees each time I used it u til I set the app up right. I spoke to them at Voice Caddie about it and there is a few bugs in their app software (for example the 5 iron setting in the app doesn't have a 25* setting, just two 24* in the drop down choice, likely the person coding missed this value). But in the unit you can adjust manually each time you hit it (not a problem if your 5i isn't 25*).

It does not measure spin, in my conversation they are waiting to add that, as they are working on an upgrade to the firmware. The Mevo does measure spin, and the folks at Mevo told me that you only need the dots inside, as it accurately will measure spin outdoors with out dots (this is an area that has me doubting whether to return the sc300 and go Mevo, or wait and hope with the sc300).

As far as accuracy I have found that the SW is not accurate, I was hitting one the range this AM in 70* temps no breeze and was measuring each shot's total flight with a laser. The SC300 came up short with each shot by anywhere between 8-12 yards. I found the 9 iron on down very accurate though. The 9 iron was scary accurate ever on mis-hits. The driver was accurate for the most part, it when I hit a double cross or hard hook, it often would misread distance. (Ball would go 240-250 and would register 270-280). On solidly hit shots I found it accurate with woods and hybrids.

I will have a few more range sessions while I'm down here in Florida and then decide. I wish I had a Mevo for a side by side comparison .

To reply to my own post, I had good success with this down in Florida and had high hope for this unit. The data was accurate with the exception of some of the full wedge shots (Sw and LW). The unit has proven to be less accurate recently here in NY. Now, I don't know what to attribute this to, because it also did a firmware update. Since the update and returning to Long Island it hasn't been accurate 6 iron and down. Very inconsistent (to lasered targets), two weeks ago it was fine, but the temps were 70+. I am currently at Sea Level and the distances should be accurate if the machine is measuring ball speed and launch regardless of temp, as colder temps; the ball comes off slower and travels less in relation. The machine is consistently overestimating. This wasn't an issue pre-firmware update. But since most of my previous testing was in warm temps, I can't tell what is causing the issue the update, or the machine can't adapt to different temps, and it measures more on estimates that using the radar to measure the ball.

I just returned it, and am going to give the Mevo a chance.

Ping G430 Max 9* Ventus Black 60x

Sim2 15* GD Tour Ad Hd 

Callaway X Hot pro 20* Hybrind Tour AD HD 95x

Srixon ZX-7 4-p Modus 120x

Vokey SM9 50, 54, 58

Lab Mezz Max C/B 

I have the SC300, and have a few sessions under my belt. I did have some trouble with the unit resetting club head loft degrees each time I used it u til I set the app up right. I spoke to them at Voice Caddie about it and there is a few bugs in their app software (for example the 5 iron setting in the app doesn't have a 25* setting, just two 24* in the drop down choice, likely the person coding missed this value). But in the unit you can adjust manually each time you hit it (not a problem if your 5i isn't 25*).

As far as accuracy I have found that the SW is not accurate, I was hitting one the range this AM in 70* temps no breeze and was measuring each shot's total flight with a laser. The SC300 came up short with each shot by anywhere between 8-12 yards. I found the 9 iron on down very accurate though. The 9 iron was scary accurate ever on mis-hits. The driver was accurate for the most part, it when I hit a double cross or hard hook, it often would misread distance. (Ball would go 240-250 and would register 270-280). On solidly hit shots I found it accurate with woods and hybrids.

I will have a few more range sessions while I'm down here in Florida and then decide. I wish I had a Mevo for a side by side comparison .

To reply to my own post, I had good success with this down in Florida and had high hope for this unit. The data was accurate with the exception of some of the full wedge shots (Sw and LW). The unit has proven to be less accurate recently here in NY. Now, I don't know what to attribute this to, because it also did a firmware update. Since the update and returning to Long Island it hasn't been accurate 6 iron and down. Very inconsistent (to lasered targets), two weeks ago it was fine, but the temps were 70+. I am currently at Sea Level and the distances should be accurate if the machine is measuring ball speed and launch regardless of temp, as colder temps; the ball comes off slower and travels less in relation. The machine is consistently overestimating. This wasn't an issue pre-firmware update. But since most of my previous testing was in warm temps, I can't tell what is causing the issue the update, or the machine can't adapt to different temps, and it measures more on estimates that using the radar to measure the ball.

Very interested to know your thoughts on Mevo compared to SC300.

What were the temperatures when you were seeing the consistently higher readings? If it only measures club head speed, ball speed, and launch angle I wouldn't expect it to know that it's 20 degrees cooler than some predetermined average. I'm also very interested for your Mevo vs SC300 compare. Thanks for sharing your experience thus far.

What were the temperatures when you were seeing the consistently higher readings? If it only measures club head speed, ball speed, and launch angle I wouldn't expect it to know that it's 20 degrees cooler than some predetermined average. I'm also very interested for your Mevo vs SC300 compare. Thanks for sharing your experience thus far.

The temp was low to mid 40's. The numbers were coming up 20 yards difference on 8 iron shots (traveling 145, stating 165), I would also think that if the machine is reading ball speed in the first 90 yards it would register a slower ball speed in colder temps. Also if this is this far off in varying temps, I really don't want to use it. Here on Long Island, our temps range a great deal and if it is only accurate on 70-75 degree days, then it is of no use to me. I will have access to an SC300 when I my Mevo arrives (the pro at my course has an SC300, so I will be able to do a side by side comparison). I got the feeling it was more of something with the Firnmware upgrade, because the day earlier in colder temps, it still was somewhat accurate (at least with the 8 iron). One thing that did bother me as well was that the full wedge shots were consistently not accurate at all.

Sim2 15* GD Tour Ad Hd 

Vokey SM9 50, 54, 58

Lab Mezz Max C/B 

Similar to the other review I have used twice now and the temp was in the high 40’s once and around 60 the other session. Basically same readings for each. Seemed decent up to 140ish yards but terrible after that. Always reading 20+ yards longer for my mid irons up to 30-40 yards on my driver. I have a swing radar also so swing speed seems like it is pretty close. I will say again that the air is really thick right now and the ball definitley is not traveling summer humid distances. I am going to club champion on Friday. I wonder if they will let me compare to Trackman. Any thoughts on that?

That would be pretty cool if they let you compare at Club Champion.

Mine came in today and it’s still pretty chilly so I just hit a few wedges and it seemed very accurate. It’s supposed to be warmer tomorrow so I hope to go thru the whole bag with it. I’ve already decided the Garmin Approach G80 isn’t going to be a keeper. The yardages were pretty close on wedges today but having to move it around as you create divots is a hassle. I also couldn’t see the screen that well. I’m not sure why Garmin thought they had to make it so small. The SC 300 is decent sized with very readable screen and still fits inside the rangefinder pocket of my golf bag. More info tomorrow I hope.

I assume it has a temp sensor and barometer to help correct for different environments is it possible they aren't working or it doesn't even have them? Should be easy to correct for if measured accurately but if hitting out of a warm bay into cold air it isn't going to be right now matter how well it measures stuff. The environment it is measuring will be wrong.

Swing hard in case you hit it!

Session 3. Remembered to bring my swing radar to the range today for a full bucket. My assessment at this point is this thing is good for the ego but not good for understanding your golf game. Pretty sure I’m sending it back if my Trackman session confirms these range sessions. It consistently showed clubhead speed >10mph than my swing radar and carry distance continued to be 20-40 yards to far.

And trust me. I want it to be good. It just isn’t.

One last thing. The app is looks cool but it doesn’t work either. My last two sessions show up on the home screen so I know they are there but countless attempts to get them to show up in the stats page has failed.

Interesting. Used the SC300 today for the first time. Under reported carry distance anywhere from 10-15 yards on 135 yard shots and 87 yard shots. The flags were measured with a laser. The carry distance appeared to be more accurate for the 187 yard flag.

I thought the 30 day return window was for unopened products only. Is there a way to return this used if the next couple of sessions do not improve?

Interesting. Used the SC300 today for the first time. Under reported carry distance anywhere from 10-15 yards on 135 yard shots and 87 yard shots. The flags were measured with a laser. The carry distance appeared to be more accurate for the 187 yard flag.

I thought the 30 day return window was for unopened products only. Is there a way to return this used if the next couple of sessions do not improve?

Let’s trade and see what’s happens. ?

Ok ok ok. Was at club champion for full bag fitting today and my fitter was nice enough to let me test SC300 side by side. Turns out swing speed and ball speed were actually pretty good throughout the bag. The problem was I have high dynamic launch and attack angle and my spin was VERY high. Sc300 obviously is not measuring spin and was causing the big differences in carry distances. My fitted numbers became a lot closer.

I always thought I was a stiff shaft guy but I got fitted into Paderson Ballistic X Flex for driver and 6.5 project X iron shafts compared to the 5.5 project x and 6.0 PXI I have always played.

If you have abnormally high spin your going to get bad numbers on this. The more I fix that, the better this will be.

PS. Was fitted into the Calloway Apex irons versus the 2013 Calloway forged I was playing. Spin was down 1300 rpms and carry up 20+ yards. However, the lofts are really strong on new Apex.

I’m debating just trying the 6.5 in my xforged for a sweet deal from a friend. Staring spin was 7800 versus 6500 on the Apex. If any experts can help me with how much of the improvement was shaft versus club head versus the 3 degree loft difference I would appreciate it.

Happy to share my numbers if any experts think they can help. I can get project x 6.5 installed in my current clubs for $200. New set is $1,500

I took my SC 300 to indoor range and the numbers were off. I then raised it about 1.5 inches so it was similar to pad I was hitting off of and the numbers were pretty close to the track man. The issue I was having is the trackman I was using did not have launch angle and that is what I really wanted to compare. It really makes a huge difference to be on the same level.

SC300 vs Mevo initial evaluation after a few sessions with both. I only used them outdoors, full swings (did not try short game setting on mevo yet). Did not need dots on balls for MEVO.

Carry Yardage - Both struggle with lofted clubs to get an accurate real carry distance reading. I found both underestimated LW and SW (60 and 56*) carry distances substantially. With the SC300 being slightly better. At the Gap wedge and on down in lofts both machines worked fine and had more accurate numbers. With the Mevo being slightly more accurate and the SC300 still overestimating carry distances in the cooler temps. It seems the Mevo was able to get better numbers through the irons.

The only issue I had with the Mevo is it seems to overestimate swing speed over 100 mph. I need to look more into this and see if there is a fix or a length to place the machine to correct this. But I would say it overestimated my swing speed by 3-5 mph. For example, I would swing at 104 on SC300 and it would say 107-108 on Mevo. Swings at 105 on SC300 would be 109-110 on Mevo. But swings at 100 on SC300 would be around 100 on Mevo. The SS on the Sc300 is in line with the fittings I have done.

I am leaning heavily towards the MEVO but need more time (MEVO is better for size, app, and spin). The reasons I am leaning towards the Mevo are the size, the SC300 is very portable, but it does take up space/weight in my bag and as one who likes to walk I would have to remove this between practice sessions and playing sessions. Which means at my advancing age (LOL) I would likely forget it at home when I go to practice once in a while. While the Mevo probably weighs the same as 2-3 golf balls and takes up little space. If you want to use the units as a standalone the SC300 is great in that respect (you can't use the MEVO without the app), but I like using the app with both. The MEVO's app is much more user-friendly (and one thing I really like is that I could still play my music while using the MEVO app, and with the SC300 you cannot use the music on the iPhone while using the app, which is important to me). I think the SC300 app still needs work and they probably rolled it out too early. I also found the MEVO app easier to navigate and organize my data, plus being able to upload it online and view my organized files is great. MEVO obviously has the spin, while the SC300 does not. I am not sure if it is 100% accurate, but the value in this is that it registers when spin is up or down, so I still get input on my swing, and which was a "spinny" swing and which wasn't. It also gives nice feedback on driver settings, I can see which setting spins and launches differently. May not be totally dialed in for optimizing, but as you become more familiar with your personal results, you can use the numbers in relation to each other to make determinations.

Overall I think both are very comparable as far as the information they provide. Nothing is going to be perfect, no matter how much you spend. I have found that so far have the machines and the data they provide have helped me develop my swing, and has given me valuable input on distances and effort in my swing. I am learning which swing elements are providing the most efficiency in my swing, and as far as my game goes, which movements are working correctly and which are killing my swing.

Sim2 15* GD Tour Ad Hd 

Vokey SM9 50, 54, 58

Lab Mezz Max C/B 

Just got an SC300 and took it to the range a couple hours ago. Numbers were all over the place. I had to come here and see if it was only me and to see what other people were getting. I set it up, updated firmware, added in all my lofts, set it up about 5-6 feet behind to hit of the grass etc. I feel like I did everything correct. Carry numbers on my wedges (PW, GW) seemed pretty good, very close to what I am used to. 9 Iron seemed really close too. I switched to a 7 iron and the numbers started to get way off. Like really long. It said I was carrying a 7 iron 180 yards, which is crazy since it is my 155 - 160 club. 8 iron was super long, 5 iron was at 200! Which is completely nuts, if it goes 175 - 180 I've hit it perfectly.

It was strange because the driver seemed perfectly accurate. Right where I thought it would be. I have no idea what to think about this thing. Apex numbers were a bit nutty as well. I hit 3 thinned 7 irons in a row and it was showing around 111 feet peak height on each. That's not super high but they were like more like 30 foot off the ground.

I am going to test it again to see if I get the same kind of numbers but for now I'm pretty unimpressed. The other bummer part was when it synced the data with the app, it only brought over 6 swings out the 75 I hit. I emailed the company but I'm trying to figure out what I may have done to get such crazy numbers. If this thing was accurate and the app synced the way it's suppose to, I think this could be a huge hit. I really enjoyed using it until the numbers made me look like a pga pro.

It would seem that not reading the ball correctly is more related to software/firmware updates than a problem with the unit itself which I suspect would just miss compleIely if t were faulty. I hate it when companies use the public as beta testers for there half complete products.

MEVO started out "off" too. It's turned out OK. I think there are environments, usages, and just plain old consumer ignorance that no amount of beta testing is going to be able to fix.

FWIW, my MEVO has been really good up to last night when I used it mostly for video. I typically use it just for data. It missed more shots than it picked up, which is uncharacteristic. But, again, besides the video, it was sitting higher than the ball. Plus, MEVO released an update to the app this week, at which time I normally uninstall the app then re-install but didn't do that.

So I took it out again and saw some similar mixed results. I got it to sync when I left it in paractice mode which was good. The numbers seemed to be really accurate or way long. I went to a different range that I know the distances pretty well. I would hit a shot and guess what the machine should say. Most of the time it was pretty close. Then I hit a shot right at the 165 and it would say 180. Again, like my first test, Driver numbers were spot on, short irons seemed really good. Mid irons were all too long. I think this one might be going back. I’ve read so many reviews on all these launch monitors that I’m coming to conclusion you just have to save for a GC2 if you want consistency and accuracy.