It’s time golf and I take a break from each other...

LeftDaddy

I suggest OP YOU GET OFF YOUR PITY POTTY and SUCK IT UP NANCY! You make me sick ! I’m sitting here with a cane waiting for another possible hip surgery and you don’t want to play because somehow golf owes you something! Again you make me sick! Act like a man ... or would you prefer kinder words?

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

Let’s see....

Irons suck ya say....

Let’s look in the bag.....

Callaway 815 BBA DBD, Aldila Rogue Stiff

Callaway X2 Hot 3 Deep, 14.5, Aldila Tour Green stiff

Callaway Apex MB UT 2 iron, Project X PXI 6.0

Callaway 2013 X-forged (3-5), Project X PXI 6.0

Callaway Apex MB (6-PW), KBS Tour V stiff

Vokey SM5 54, Callaway Mack Daddy 2 Tour Grind Chrome 58, both with KBS Tour

Bettinardi BB1

Time to buy some new irons..WRX style....dump those MB’s and get your self some proper shovels...

King LTD Black CK Tensei Blue S 44”
Titleist 915f 15deg 3w Diamana 70g blue
Cobra King Forged CB ‘19 5-PW UST Recoil 95 F4
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4i Project X Catalyst 80
Cobra F6 Baffler Rogue Black 70
Ping Glide 2.0  Stealth 50, 54, 58 SS
Kenny Giannini G6

Hey OP, where do you play? I'm in RVA too.

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Tensei AV Raw White 65X

PXG Gen 6 0311 15* - Aldila Tour Blue 75X

PXG  Gen 5 0311 19* - Aldila Tour Blue 85X

PXG 0311T Gen 5 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

Lots of good comments except the one saying I wanted attention. Thanks to everyone except that guy. I promise I don’t want any attention. Just frustrated with how poorly I’m playing given the time and attention I give to golf. My big issue is that I can’t hit an iron shot solidly to save my life. It’s actually quite comical how poor my iron play is, given how decent the rest of my game is. I can drive it pretty well, I can putt, and my short game is pretty good. My irons just SUUUUUUUCCCCCKKKKK!

And I was joking about my wife wondering what I was doing...I was going for a little “play” on golf being a cruel mistress.

Anyway, I played the scramble today. I generally sucked about like I expected I would. I was awesome on the range beforehand, though, so at least there’s that. And I finally kinda sorta remembered a correction I needed to make with 4 holes to go and it helped things improve a little. It was a 2 man scramble, and we may have used 10 of my shots all day. We shot 74 which was poor, mostly due to me. We had a good time at least. And I did leave thinking that I had found a little something in my swing and so I’m feeling like playing again soon.

I just need to keep golf more at arm’s length than I have...like everyone says, just try to enjoy that I’m able to play. Thanks again!

What do you consider a lot of time/attention you give to golf? How many days do play? How many days do you practice? How long do you practice and what is your practice routine?

Please FTLOG stop echoing "golf is hard." What game worth a snot is not hard? Stop your whining and get better and brag about it. If you can't handle it, quit and take up something that is easy for you, like picking your nose. My god.

Dont be a dick dude

Don't be a wimp dude. What is so bad about my post? The upshot of leaving the game, growing the game, not getting better is the whine "golf is soooo hard"? Seriously? I mean, I really want to hear what bothers you.

"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."
- Groucho Marx

WIMB
PING G400 Driver 10.5*

TaylorMade Burner 3-wood and 5-wood REAX reg graphite

Mizuno MX-23 forged 5-PW, Mizuno forged SW, GW, LW

Putter:  Odyssey White Hot Rossie 36" --  Ball: TP5 X

Answering/responding to some threads:

I didn’t mean this thread as a pity party. It’s party, not potty by the way. Anyhow, it started in my mind as a joke about a cruel mistress I have named golf, but either I didn’t build the analogy well or some people aren’t getting it...whatever. The bottom line is that I am pretty down about my golf game right now. It has been 15 years since the last time I “quit”, and this is the first time since that I’ve seriously considered taking a break. My handicap has gone from a 23 about 15 years ago to a 9 right now, although I’m playing more like a 15 as we speak today.

I was just commiserating and figured some other folks on here might feel the same way. The majority of the posters have been great...two or three have been a-holes, and you get a few in every group.

I play at the Foundry Golf Club.

I probably play 18 holes per week and hit the range 1x per week, and work on some indoor stuff every day (putting, chipping, etc).

I play blades because they give me immediate feedback on how bad my iron strikes are. I’m honestly so bad with irons right now that shovels probably wouldn’t help me a bit. My irons are 1” over and 2 up, and my grips are mid-size plus 4 wraps. I’m not convinced those specs are helpful anymore, so may have to consider bending etc at some point.

Anyway, most things have come naturally to me in my life. Golf never has, and that is part of what I love about it I guess. But at some point, with any activity that requires time and money, you have to assess whether what you are getting out of it is worth it. I’m not sure that my answer to that question is “Yes” right now.

You guys realize sometimes a person just needs to vent to people who at least will likely understand. If I come home from a bad day at rhe course and try to tell the wife (ah hell, who am I kidding, I stopped telling her anything about my game a long time ago), she really doesn’t care. And really doesn’t want to hear about it.

If you come here, it’s highly likely someone else has been in the same boat. It’s not looking for pity or sympathy, or whining. It’s talking or venting about your game to like minded individuals. Guy wants to let off some steam. Ease up a bit.

Thank deadsolid...shank!!!

Love the handle too...I went through a bout of the deadsolid shanks a little over a year ago. Oddly, that didn’t make me think about quitting...I “fixed” the shanks and then hit the ball as well as I ever have about a year ago, but had to stop playing for a couple of months due to some “life circumstances”. Anyway, since coming back have generally not been able to find the magic again. I had two 18 hole rounds scheduled for this weekend and was looking forward to them and played like crap in both...just disappointing.

I've played the Foundry several times - what a fantastic course. Truly one of my RVA favorites. I've been working part-time/playing at Providence for almost 12 years.

I understood exactly what you were trying to convey in your OP. I think all of us, at one point or another, despite skill level or handicap, feel the same way.

Sometimes I think folks on this forum misinterpret statements on purpose just for the sake of making a negative comment or arguing. I find that usually guys like that can't talk at home.

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Tensei AV Raw White 65X

PXG Gen 6 0311 15* - Aldila Tour Blue 75X

PXG  Gen 5 0311 19* - Aldila Tour Blue 85X

PXG 0311T Gen 5 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

I've played the Foundry several times - what a fantastic course. Truly one of my RVA favorites. I've been working part-time/playing at Providence for almost 12 years.

I understood exactly what you were trying to convey in your OP. I think all of us, at one point or another, despite skill level or handicap, feel the same way.

Sometimes I think folks on this forum misinterpret statements on purpose just for the sake of making a negative comment or arguing. I find that usually guys like that can't talk at home.

Funny story that kind of goes along with the talking about golf at home. Probably 15 years or so ago when I got my first hole in one. My son told my wife we should do something for dad for his HIO. Her reply, “we don’t celebrate golf”. We’ve since become a little less acrimonious about it,,but I still don’t talk about it much, which ties in with the second half of the story.

Last summer I recorded my second HIO. I never mentioned it at home. About three days later she says,”you got a hole in one and didn’t even say anything about it”! Still in trouble. My wife’s best friend is the office manager for one of the law firms here. Guess who was playing with one of the partners that day, who told his office manager, who told her friend, who,happens to be my wife!?

#cantwin

Think loose grip with all your clubs. It can make a huge difference when you're struggling. That's my tip of the day. ;)

My senior bag.......

Taylormade Sim Max  9* driver reg
Callaway Rogue 3 & 5 fw woods reg
Callaway Rogue X 4 & 5 hybrids reg
Sub 70 699 pro's 6-pw
Ping Glide 50*, 54* & 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2 ball putter
Sub 70 Staff bag

Midsize + 4 wraps is a lot of grip....

I’ve quit for a few years several times in my not so illustrious career. Once was injury/surgery related and the other was because I found the lake more fun than playing bad golf.

Hang in there.

(Golf sucks)

SYard T388
TaylorMade RBZ 13-15
Miura CB-57 3-PW
Miura 51Y, 52K,56K, 57C, 60K
Old Titleist Blade

Thanks Hot Rod...yes, the Foundry is a wonderful golf course. I joined it recently and love it. It is a bit expensive, but definitely a great course/experience.

My wife is a great one. She isn’t into golf herself. She’s a perfectionist, and golf is not the sport for perfectionists. But she’s obsessed with tennis. So she understands my golf obsession, and “lets” me spend more time than she should at the range/course/watching it on TV, etc.

To be fair to my swing fixes, I hadn’t really spent much time at the range with it. I gave it a good 2 hours today, and I absolutely murdered the ball. Even my bad hits were definitely acceptable. I even played the first 3 holes of the course in my mind and would have done quite well. So I decided I would actually go play them. And literally the first swing and the next 3 were as bad as they could be. I rope hooked a tee shot (had blasted them on the range), and rinsed my next 3 shots in the pond fronting the 1st green, and they were all absolutely horrible contact. I did hit the next one quite well and thus would have made a 10 assuming a 2 putt. I didn’t change my routine or swing thoughts or anything from the range to the course. I honestly don’t know what it could be.

Oh well, at least I had it going for a while on the range and know what I was doing to make it work. Here’s hoping I will eventually figure this out.

I mean, Im through with this relationship. I give and give and give...money, time, emotion. And I spend so much time with golf that wife is starting to wonder what Im doing while gone so long.

And even though I give and give, golf gives me nothing back. I mean, yeah, I get in the hole quickly sometimes but I spend so much more time seeking the hole than finding it. And I try every thing I can think of and none of it works.

In all seriousness, I spend so much money and time on golf, and I still suck. I thought I had it somewhat figured it out after a visit to my coach the other day, but apparently not. I played today and looked like a moron for about half of the holes. Im getting as close to quitting as Ive been in a long time.

And Tiger got a quad on 17 today. I truly hate this game sometimes...

Golf takes a lot of concentrated time and proper practice--not beating balls, but learning how to swing...hundreds and hundreds of times, with most of your clubs. Watch Tv -- the pros have hit hundreds of thousands of range balls and still go out one day and shoot 65 and the next day 77.

I think you need to get serious about becoming a golfer who can break 90 in the next 12-18 months. Proper clubs, better coach, better everyday practice with measurable results.

That said, some people should quit if they are unhappy and it affects family life. Find an activity to enjoy with your wife.

Take charge.

"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."
- Groucho Marx

WIMB
PING G400 Driver 10.5*

TaylorMade Burner 3-wood and 5-wood REAX reg graphite

Mizuno MX-23 forged 5-PW, Mizuno forged SW, GW, LW

Putter:  Odyssey White Hot Rossie 36" --  Ball: TP5 X

I mean, I’m through with this relationship. I give and give and give...money, time, emotion. And I spend so much time with golf that wife is starting to wonder what I’m doing while gone so long.

And even though I give and give, golf gives me nothing back. I mean, yeah, I get in the hole quickly sometimes but I spend so much more time seeking the hole than finding it. And I try every thing I can think of and none of it works.

In all seriousness, I spend so much money and time on golf, and I still suck. I thought I had it somewhat figured it out after a visit to my coach the other day, but apparently not. I played today and looked like a moron for about half of the holes. I’m getting as close to quitting as I’ve been in a long time.

And Tiger got a quad on 17 today. I truly hate this game sometimes...

Golf takes a lot of concentrated time and proper practice--not beating balls, but learning how to swing...hundreds and hundreds of times, with most of your clubs. Watch Tv -- the pros have hit hundreds of thousands of range balls and still go out one day and shoot 65 and the next day 77.

I think you need to get serious about becoming a golfer who can break 90 in the next 12-18 months. Proper clubs, better coach, better everyday practice with measurable results.

That said, some people should quit if they are unhappy and it affects family life. Find an activity to enjoy with your wife.

Take charge.

Thanks for the more reasonable reply this time.

I must just be miscommunicating my point in all of this.

I break 90 regularly. I break 80 when my irons are solid. If I played 18 tomorrow I’d probably shoot 85 even though my irons are terrible right now.

I’m well read in all of the ways that people learn, and about effective practice vs just practice. I don’t just beat balls. I go to the range with very specific purposes in mind.

And I’m also very aware that golf takes time, patience, etc etc. I picked golf up about 20 years ago and I’ve gone from whatever the highest handicap you can have (35 I believe) to 9 now. And it has been a stroke or two here or there. I broke 100 the first time about 18 years ago. Broke 90 about 6 years ago. Broke 80 a year ago.

Finally, my family life is great. I have a wonderful wife and two wonderful children.

I’m just saying that I’d bet that a smallish percentage of people on this board put more time and money into golf than I. And I’d wager that an even smaller percentage takes a more measured approach to getting better than I. Therefore, it is awfully disheartening that I stink right now and am struggling to make some swing changes stick.

I’m obviously doing something wrong because I’m not fixing this current problem as quickly as I’d like, and it is getting damned frustrating. I’m not whining. Not complaining. Not “giving up “. I’m just commiserating with fellow golfers that have probably felt similarly. And I am questioning all of this investment given weaker-than-hoped-for returns.

Thanks again for the reasonable response.

I think it has to be bigger than what you shoot.   Sure, we're all trying to improve and the challenge of the game is the cheese in front of the wheel.  But, what about exercise? Comraderie?  Do you walk?  Who do you play with?  If you ride, start walking.  If you play with whomever, find guys you really enjoy.  If they ride, find guys who walk that you really enjoy.

Golf became much more fun when I quit caring about my scores and started enjoying the time on the course.

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

Callaway 2007 X-Forged 5-PW/ PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 / Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2.5+ 

Life is like riding a bicycle, to keep your balance you must keep moving

Sounds like you've forgotten how to enjoy playing golf.  It has happened to me too.  Obviously low scores is the goal, but if that is the only way to enjoy yourself playing then golf will beat you mercilessly.  Take a couple weeks off.  Don't play or hit balls regardless of how bad you want to.  Eventually when you do play again you'll be so happy just to be outside on the course you'll forget about the other stuff.  Try to keep that feeling.  If you start thinking "I'm still terrible"  say 3 nice things to yourself out loud, and mean it.  If you start thinking "golf swing" focus more on where you want the ball to go and less on how you're going to make it go there.  "Golf swing" is a miserable game.  Golf can be fun.  I also recommend reading "The Inner Game of Tennis" 

Sometimes it helps to just play a "practice round" instead of going out with intentions of trying to shoot your best score. Ditch the scorecard and if you duff one, or hit one OB, or if you simply just want to hit another, say f&*k it and drop another one. You'll relax since you're not playing for a score and you might figure out some stuff with your game.

Taylormade Stealth+
Titleist TSi2 5W
PXG 0317x 22°
PXG Gen3 0311P 4i

PXG Gen4 0311T 5i-Gw
JP Golf Premier Wedge 54° & 58°
Kari Lajosi Damascus LP808

OP you're a 9 playing 1X/wk & hitting the range & are complaining about your game?  You're the type of person I hate ;).  You probably obsess too much, hit the range for too long and don't realize it's just a game.  We all have ups & downs and you seem to be too hyper-critical and probably been competitive about everything you do.  

Go out and play 18 separate games.  Don't worry about that 3'er when you stroked a good first putt.  Hit a mulligan or two & move it out of the divot in the middle of the fairway.

The game is fun unless you let it consume you. 

Just don't be like this goober, LOL:

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1334612/today-was-the-day-i-officially-found-the-strength-to-walk-away/p1

...oh, and also:

Pro Tip #1:

Ditch the blades. They don't help anyone who isn't already an expert. I did it for a long time, too. You don't have to explain it to me, but they're probably just distracting and aggravating if you're struggling to keep the ship afloat.

Pro Tip #2:

Figure out the driver. If the driver is working you can always hack it around and have a reasonably-fun time. Never let the driver get too out-of-whack. 

Pro Tip #3:

Stop "feeling" your way to a better swing and work by filming yourself. See what you're actually doing and implement 1 or 2 things that actually improve the look of your swing.  

Pro Tip #4:

Add some friends, make it more social and for the love of God...drink a few while you're playing if you aren't. R-e-l-a-x.

TSR3 (9o) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2+ (14.5o 3w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

TSR2 (21o 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-Gw) (Nippon Modus3)

SM9 56-F / 60-S
Maltby PTM-5CS

Great stuff folks! To respond to a few things: my driver is the best part of my game, and I see a coach who puts everything on film, so I know the problems...just can’t seem to fix ‘em as quickly as I think I should. In my last video, my coach says “you are so close, just work on clearing the hips before impact “...anyway, that is at some level why I’m so frustrated. I know I’m so close but yet I’m so far away too.

And I would agree that not being able to master golf is probably a big part of why I became so obsessed with it. I do “love” that it isn’t easy and takes commitment, etc. I just worry that I’ve committed too much to it.

And yes, I’m the biggest self critic that ever walked the face of the planet, and I am competitive. In my younger years I was very competitive, but I’ve softened a lot on that over the years. But I guess deep down some of that is still in me.

I’m hopeful right now...I was busting the ball at my last range session, and through the power of WRX think I might have found some help for my problem with clearing the hips. Thanks again! I’m sure I will be back on here cursing the game of golf again soon after my expectations get raised once again.

> @"deadsolid...shank" said:

> Hot Rod 71 wrote:

>

>

>

> I've played the Foundry several times - what a fantastic course. Truly one of my RVA favorites. I've been working part-time/playing at Providence for almost 12 years.

>

>

>

> I understood exactly what you were trying to convey in your OP. I think all of us, at one point or another, despite skill level or handicap, feel the same way.

>

>

>

> Sometimes I think folks on this forum misinterpret statements on purpose just for the sake of making a negative comment or arguing. I find that usually guys like that can't talk at home.

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Funny story that kind of goes along with the talking about golf at home. Probably 15 years or so ago when I got my first hole in one. My son told my wife we should do something for dad for his HIO. Her reply, “we don’t celebrate golf”. We’ve since become a little less acrimonious about it,,but I still don’t talk about it much, which ties in with the second half of the story.

>

>

>

> Last summer I recorded my second HIO. I never mentioned it at home. About three days later she says,”you got a hole in one and didn’t even say anything about it”! Still in trouble. My wife’s best friend is the office manager for one of the law firms here. Guess who was playing with one of the partners that day, who told his office manager, who told her friend, who,happens to be my wife!?

>

>

>

> #cantwin

That's funny, but seriously... you need to get a handle on that.

Callaway XR16 SubZero Aldila Rogue I/O 70X
Callaway Apex Utility Wood 19* Fujikura Ventus TR Red 60
Callaway UT 18* KBS C-Taper X
Titleist 818 H2 21*
Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW KBS DG X100
Vokey SM7 52* F
Vokey SM7 58* D
Sizemore XB-1

A few updates. I’ve played twice since that fateful weekend where I wanted to give up. I’ve discovered some fixes for my iron game, and at least on the range am long, dead straight, and peppering the middle of the face. It goes away after about the 2nd hole though.

Anyway, I shot the two worst scores I’ve posted in years in those rounds, but oddly I wasn’t that mad during either one of them. My irons were decent, then great, then decent over the course of the 36 holes. My driver has been terrible, then practically perfect, then terrible, then barely acceptable over the same stretch. Short game has been up and down (get it ?). I shot two awful scores but for the first time in a little while I felt hopeful about what I was able to do during two 9 hole stretches. I’m pretty close to saying that I need to shift away from so much iron practice and shift toward short game practice. I’ve been practicing irons about 90% of the time for over a year now.

The point is, I was looking for some glimmer of hope that I might find the middle of the face of one of my irons again, and I got it. I’m not “cured” yet by any means, but I have hope. Now to turn back to scoring again...

• Like 1