Torching a Putter: What's the allure?

BobbyLite ·  
BobbyLiteBobbyLite Robert MDallas 181WRX Points: 49Handicap: 1.5Members Posts: 181 Fairways
Am I the only one that doesn't see the value in this?
i'm ignorant to the process - can you ever go back from Torching?
It seems like ever BST ad that goes up with a torched putter people go bonkers over it.
Posted:
Post edited by BobbyLite on
Rob
Taylormade M3 9* - Diamana Whiteboard 73x Flowerband
Cleveland Launcher FL 15* - Diamana Whiteboard 83x Flowerband
Wilson FG62s - TT S300
Titleist SM7 52/56/60 - TT S300
'14 Scotty Newport

Comments

• rt301rt301  17WRX Points: 45Members Posts: 17 Bunkers
    I’ve read that you can use a product called blue away to restore the original appearance. Has anyone tried this?

To me it’s just preference. Like comparing oil can to black oxide to copper plating etc.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • oneaugustaoneaugusta  3132WRX Points: 231Handicap: 8.7Members Posts: 3,132 Titanium Tees

There's a big difference to just torching a putter and a torched finish. Anyone can throw heat to a putter and change the color but to get an even finish with lasting vibrant colors there must be good preparation with a process, otherwise it will fade in a matter of weeks or months. Some like the look of a torched finish and some do not, just personal preference I guess. " Scotty Cameron has done quite well with his chromatic finishes"
    As far as removing a torched finish it's quite easy: light sanding, bead blast or barkeepers friend which can be found in most grocery stores in the cleaning section will remove.

Posted:
    Post edited by oneaugusta on
    Titleist 917 D2 GOGO 5 6S
    TEE CB5 4 wood Fubuki Tour
    Miura CB57's Nippon Modus 120
    Miura custom raw 50 54, 56 Nippon WV 125
    David Mills Custom torched Heritage SS flow neck
    David Mills Custom Carbon flow neck Hertitage V2 with Nitride finish
    David Mills GS Ming V3 flow neck
    Byron Rincon DH89
  • bogeyprobogeypro The Original Bogeypro AL 3445WRX Points: 371Handicap: +1ClubWRX Posts: 3,445 ClubWRX

On stainless, the bluing is an oxidation due to the heat. It can easily be removed.

Posted:
    Taylormade m1 2017 Atmos Black TS
    Taylormade m6 fairway Atmos
    Mizuno JPX 850 2 hybrid 
    Mizuno Hot Metal Pro 4-pw
    Vokey SM7 52/58 wedges 
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5.5m
  • aceofclubsaceofclubs  854WRX Points: 92Members Posts: 854 Golden Tee

To each their own.
    I bought an old Cleveland Classic for $40 and torched it. Gave a unique bronze/gold finish.
    Sort of custom putter for cheap.
    I dont know if id ever do it to an expensive Scotty.

Posted:
    Driver: TBD
    Fairway: Taylormade Superfast 16.5*/Even Flow Blue
    Hybrid: Titleist 913H/Rogue Black
    Irons: Mizuno MP 59s
    Wedges: Titleist SM4 52/56/60
    Putter: This area intentionally left blank
  • BobbyLiteBobbyLite Robert M Dallas 181WRX Points: 49Handicap: 1.5Members Posts: 181 Fairways

On -, @aceofclubs said:

To each their own.
    I bought an old Cleveland Classic for $40 and torched it. Gave a unique bronze/gold finish.
    Sort of custom putter for cheap.
    I dont know if id ever do it to an expensive Scotty.

Definitely to each their own. Knowing that you can go back from it rather easily changes my feelings ever so slightly. Though still not my thing

Posted:
    Rob
    Taylormade M3 9* - Diamana Whiteboard 73x Flowerband
    Cleveland Launcher FL 15* - Diamana Whiteboard 83x Flowerband
    Wilson FG62s - TT S300
    Titleist SM7 52/56/60 - TT S300
    '14 Scotty Newport

• cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Tasmania to Canada 13320WRX Points: 2,191Handicap: 1.6Members Posts: 13,320 Titanium Tees

Love the warm colour on my Matera vs stainless look

Posted:

Ping G400 LST 11* GD Pershing 55x
    Ping G400 3w 15.1* Oban Revenge 65x
    Callaway GBB 5w 18* Aldila NVS Pink 85x 
    Callaway Apex 4h 23* GD Tour AD DI 95x
    Callaway Apex 5h 26* GD Tour AD DI 105x
    Mizuno 919T 6 - GW UST 95 Recoil f4 
    Ping Glide SS 54* wrx UST 110 Recoil f4
    Ping Glide ES 59* wrx UST 110 Recoil f4
    Callaway PM grind 64* UST 110 Recoil f4
    Piretti Matera Elite 

'19 Index 0.9 ~ 3.7
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • toctoc  2899WRX Points: 612Members Posts: 2,899 Titanium Tees

Always struck me as just something else one can choose to do for a more unique look, like colored ferrules and stamping and stuff. Value is relative, might make it more valuable to one person and less so to another.

Posted:
    Glove: ML
    Tees: 2 3/4
    Towel: white
    Repair tool: metal
    Ball Marker: largest poker chip in the world
    Iron headcovers: wait, what?

The feedback system is annoying
  • cfunk11cfunk11  278WRX Points: 57Handicap: 15Members Posts: 278 Greens

On -, @rt301 said:

I’ve read that you can use a product called blue away to restore the original appearance. Has anyone tried this?

To me it’s just preference. Like comparing oil can to black oxide to copper plating etc.

I had Carbon Palambi that was rusty so I cleaned it up, then I torched it and quenched it in oil. Like someone in this thread stated it takes experience and knowledge to get a nice torched finish and I have neither. I wasn't happy with the finish so I cleaned it off and blued it. Blueing a putter requires very little skill.

Posted:
  • spryevospryevo  184WRX Points: 55Members Posts: 184 Bunkers

Performance wise, the darker finish has less glare from the sun and more contrast than bare stainless (with say a white dot).
    Some also find it cool to be different. Last but not least: Tour Allure. Some tour players have darkened their steel putters, and that catches on.
    That's my $0.02 with the allure.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.