Sandwich: Royal St. George’s? Princes? Cinque Ports?

Looking to throw together a few days in the UK to play in March and was looking at 3 areas originally: St Andrews, Liverpool, and Sandwich. After pricing transportation Sandwich is the only feasible option. I will be relying on public transportation and will have a non-golfing girlfriend with me.

I would like to play Royal St. Geroge’s if possible. Especially in light of the 2020 Open. After that was looking at other courses in the area and just want to know what’s out there. I will have time for at MOST 3 rounds and more likely 2. RSG is going to blow a hole in the budget as well, so the secondary round(s) would ideally be £100 or less. Princes was on my radar.

A couple more questions: Would RSG (or anywhere else) be using fairway matts in March?

Being from the US, what sort of handicap certificate do I need (this is something I’m wondering how I’m going to solve in 2 months time). And lastly I have heard but not confirmed that RSG is rather... not unwelcoming of visitor play but they don’t jump for joy over it. Wondering if anyone has anything to say about that, if true or unfounded.

Thank you for any help or advice!

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking to throw together a few days in the UK to play in March and was looking at 3 areas originally: St Andrews, Liverpool, and Sandwich. After pricing transportation Sandwich is the only feasible option. I will be relying on public transportation and will have a non-golfing girlfriend with me.

I would like to play Royal St. Geroge's if possible. Especially in light of the 2020 Open. After that was looking at other courses in the area and just want to know what's out there. I will have time for at MOST 3 rounds and more likely 2. RSG is going to blow a hole in the budget as well, so the secondary round(s) would ideally be £100 or less. Princes was on my radar.

A couple more questions: Would RSG (or anywhere else) be using fairway matts in March?

Being from the US, what sort of handicap certificate do I need (this is something I'm wondering how I'm going to solve in 2 months time). And lastly I have heard but not confirmed that RSG is rather... not unwelcoming of visitor play but they don't jump for joy over it. Wondering if anyone has anything to say about that, if true or unfounded.

Thank you for any help or advice!

J

Contact the clubs. I wouldn't be surprised if Sandwich is on mats, but you are right to mark it as the place to play. There is no question there is an air of doing things properly at Sandwich, but it is no hardship to the visitor. If you want to properly see the clubhouse before/after the round bring a jacket and tie...its worth the hassle. Its a shame you don't have time for all three courses. The are all very close, yet completely different in character.

Another area to consider is Rye/Littlestone. Both are courses which can fly under the radar. An upside of Rye is the town is beautiful. This may be more of a positive for your girlfriend. Not that Sandwich isn't lovely, it is. But situated on a hill with charming streets and buildings, Rye is special. At Rye, you will also need a jacket and tie to have lunch (served everyday and worth having) and your girlfriend can join you. The house is far from plush, but it is very homey. Being a 2ball course, it will also likely be easy to get in 36 quite quickly as a single. There are definitely no mats at Rye which is also a big plus. Littlestone is rarely talked about, but it is very good and not too far from Rye. The £50ish green fee for the winter is also very welcome.

Ciao

Good trip to plan!

Would highly advise contacting Prince's Golf Club - they have a hotel and restaurant there so you can just liaise with them and they'll book everything for you (including golf at RSG or RCP).

Agree with this...did this trip in 2016. Booked thru Prince's - package included RSG. I only had 2 days so I didn't get to play CP.

Lodging was nice and package included breakfast & dinner for 2 days.

The RSG round did have to be on Mon, but we were in high season

TM R1
TM Rbz Stage2 3w (15) & 3 hyb (19)
Mizuno MP-64 4-Pw
Mizuno MP-T5 50-7
Titleist Vokey SM-4 54-8 & 58-12
Ping TR 1966 Anser2

Good trip to plan!

Would highly advise contacting Prince's Golf Club - they have a hotel and restaurant there so you can just liaise with them and they'll book everything for you (including golf at RSG or RCP).

Great call! Prince’s has arranged a couple itineraries and price points for me, I’m just checking airfare. It just happens that because I’m going in March I have to arrange my RSG round on my own, probably on a Monday.

Good trip to plan!

Great call! Prince's has arranged a couple itineraries and price points for me, I'm just checking airfare. It just happens that because I'm going in March I have to arrange my RSG round on my own, probably on a Monday.

Are you looking at Norwegian out of Oakland before they switch over to SFO?

Anyways, if you don't think you are getting back anytime soon, after sorting out RSG you'd be remiss to skip Deal IMHO. I didn't play Princes TBF, but Deal was great fun.

And assuming you are flying via LGW, Reigate Heath would get you a very reasonably priced - yet top quality track - round in just a short drive North of the airport.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

I’m actually local to Helsinki right now, but yes Norwegian to Gatwick. When you say Deal do you mean Royal Cinque Ports? I ruled it out mostly because we will not have a car and Princes stay-and-play got us 1 round for me, a night double-occupancy and breakfast+dinner for £200 total, and was right in the middle of everything.

If I manage to squeeze a London round in I’m looking at a place called Hadley Wood, it’s a Mackenzie course near an underground station at Cockfosters.

I'm actually local to Helsinki right now, but yes Norwegian to Gatwick. When you say Deal do you mean Royal Cinque Ports? I ruled it out mostly because we will not have a car and Princes stay-and-play got us 1 round for me, a night double-occupancy and breakfast+dinner for £200 total, and was right in the middle of everything.

If I manage to squeeze a London round in I'm looking at a place called Hadley Wood, it's a Mackenzie course near an underground station at Cockfosters.

Gotcha :)

Yup Deal = RCP. Fair enough if you have sorted out a package at Princes, put that together with Royal St. Georges and you're set.

Think the entrance to Hadley Wood would actually be closer via Hadley Wood station - overland train from Moorgate in the city, quicker and definitely more spacious with clubs than the end of the Piccadily line on the tube.

Another good affordable option would be Banstead Downs in South London - especially if it's been raining - which is a short walk from Belmont station. Obviously depending on where you are staying changes the math on these.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

I would urge you to make a big heathland gun happen if you can. A handful of high profiles courses are accessible by train.

In north London I would think Sandy Lodge may be of interest. It drains fairly well (quite important around London in March) and there is a handful of very good holes. The green fee should be decent in March...maybe even a package with lunch or breakfast. The course is very close (walkable close) to the Moor Park Tube. Of course, Moor Park is close as well, but it doesn't drain as well. Its a Colt design which has been badly mucked with. The Grove is the other sie of Watford and will take a bit more effort to reach. It is better than either of the above if dry, but will also charge considerably more. Its not as easy to reach by public transport. Beaconsfield has a train station practically on the course. Its a good Colt course that drains fairly well. Its probably a bit more pricey than SL or MP.

Ciao

I would urge you to make a big heathland gun happen if you can. A handful of high profiles courses are accessible by train.

In north London I would think Sandy Lodge may be of interest. It drains fairly well (quite important around London in March) and there is a handful of very good holes. The green fee should be decent in March...maybe even a package with lunch or breakfast. The course is very close (walkable close) to the Moor Park Tube. Of course, Moor Park is close as well, but it doesn't drain as well. Its a Colt design which has been badly mucked with. The Grove is the other sie of Watford and will take a bit more effort to reach. It is better than either of the above if dry, but will also charge considerably more. Its not as easy to reach by public transport. Beaconsfield has a train station practically on the course. Its a good Colt course that drains fairly well. Its probably a bit more pricey than SL or MP.

Ciao

Heck in the golf club at station stakes, could go to Denham Golf Club, by getting off at Denham Golf Club station ;)

Beaconsfield is a good shout.

Have you got out to Tandridge? I've been meaning to, but it's not fit into my sched on any recent trips. It's another close to station track that's quite well regarded and it wouldn't break the bank either.

F.T.

Ciao

Heck in the golf club at station stakes, could go to Denham Golf Club, by getting off at Denham Golf Club station ;)

Have you got out to Tandridge? I've been meaning to, but it's not fit into my sched on any recent trips. It's another close to station track that's quite well regarded and it wouldn't break the bank either.

I'm playing Tandridge in October for the first time - it's ideally set close to Gatwick (25 mins) so going to play there on a Monday afternoon before staying at Gatwick airport hotel before catching an early flight to Turkey for a golf trip.

Ciao

I haven't been to Tandridge since the major work carried out by F Pont. I was meant to play a few weeks ago, but snow intervened. I may get another opportunity in February. Tandridge is a sod to get to from the Midlands...makes for a long day!

Thinking further on train courses, Addington might also be a good choice. The course is just up the hill from the station. Its not the best presented course, but the architecture is very good.

I need to get to Denham sometime, though I admit that viewing photos and lack of praise for the course haven't exactly lit a fire under me.

Ciao

So I’ve booked flights. I’ll be in England latenight from March 9th through Thursday, March 14th. This allows me the flexibility to play at Royal St. George’s for Wed. Visitor’s 1-ball. Princes seemed to have plenty of availability for both lodging and play.

Question: is RSG worth the £150 or do I pass on it and play other courses in the area? Princes is £50, for example. Have you guys played it? I’m really on the fence since RSG is going to hit my budget worse than expected, esp. If I have to take a caddy for another £50+tip...

Edit: I’m playing Princes no matter what, I just used as an example of how relatively pricy rsg is.

Relative schmelative and yes putting 'value' on green fees is a fool's errand - but really I wouldn't pass up the chance to play RSG.

I played 36 there last Spring and I didn't play a new course I liked more last year, amongst a bunch of top tier new-to-me courses. As I've said elsewhere on here, 2-10 is a quite fabulous 9 holes and really bar the opening and closer over flat ground, there's something of interest in all the rest too.

F.T.

So I've booked flights. I'll be in England latenight from March 9th through Thursday, March 14th. This allows me the flexibility to play at Royal St. George's for Wed. Visitor's 1-ball. Princes seemed to have plenty of availability for both lodging and play.

Question: is RSG worth the £150 or do I pass on it and play other courses in the area? Princes is £50, for example. Have you guys played it? I'm really on the fence since RSG is going to hit my budget worse than expected, esp. If I have to take a caddy for another £50+tip...

Edit: I'm playing Princes no matter what, I just used as an example of how relatively pricy rsg is.

One thing to note is if you play Shore and Dunes at Prince's (would recommend over the Himalayas), you'll get a good look at 13 and 14 on RSG. If you wind up not playing it that's going to hurt. RSG is outstanding. Much better IMO than Prince's and better than Deal. I think it's better than most anything in the south of England - Sunningdale perhaps is up there. That said £150 is quite a lot and if that's going to limit your alternatives, then maybe skip it. I would check whether the green fee is "for the day" or per round. If it's for the day, play 36 if you can. That would soften the blow somewhat.

One other thing, the members play REALLY fast there. Often foursomes. It's hard to believe how quickly they go. Highly unlikely there'll be many of them there though, so call them through if they catch up to you.

Ping G400 LST 9° Diamana white 63x
Ping G410 LST 3 wood Diamana Thump x
Srixon ZX Utility 19 UST Recoil 95x

Srixon ZX7 4-AW C-taper S+

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

Odyssey Eleven Tour-Lined Slant

So I've booked flights. I'll be in England latenight from March 9th through Thursday, March 14th. This allows me the flexibility to play at Royal St. George's for Wed. Visitor's 1-ball. Princes seemed to have plenty of availability for both lodging and play.

Question: is RSG worth the £150 or do I pass on it and play other courses in the area? Princes is £50, for example. Have you guys played it? I'm really on the fence since RSG is going to hit my budget worse than expected, esp. If I have to take a caddy for another £50+tip...

Edit: I'm playing Princes no matter what, I just used as an example of how relatively pricy rsg is.

One thing to note is if you play Shore and Dunes at Prince's (would recommend over the Himalayas), you'll get a good look at 13 and 14 on RSG. If you wind up not playing it that's going to hurt. RSG is outstanding. Much better IMO than Prince's and better than Deal. I think it's better than most anything in the south of England - Sunningdale perhaps is up there. That said £150 is quite a lot and if that's going to limit your alternatives, then maybe skip it. I would check whether the green fee is "for the day" or per round. If it's for the day, play 36 if you can. That would soften the blow somewhat.

One other thing, the members play REALLY fast there. Often foursomes. It's hard to believe how quickly they go. Highly unlikely there'll be many of them there though, so call them through if they catch up to you.

I think at the moment, although could still change, is we found what appears to be decent transport options from Ramsgate and cheap accomodation, with the goal to play all 27 at princes on tuesday and then rsg the next day. The way RSG availability works out its can only be a single wednesday 18.

A few things.

1. Where else are you going to play if not Sandwich? Deal is the only other proper option and it will be over £100 a game. Play Sandwich....its a no brainer if Princes is already on the cards. I am very frugal when it comes to green fees and Sandwich is a steal for £150. Just make sure to find out what winter work is in on...that could be a deal breaker.

2. Stay in Sandwich or Deal. Don't schlep it from Ramsgate (a very mediocre town). Part of the charm of seaside golf is finding a lovely town and Sandwich is very fine. The Bell right in the centre will have a double room with breakfast for less than £100. There are cheaper options as well.

Ciao

^Agreed. Sandwich has enough pubs for a multi-night stay and some decent eats options as well.

I enjoyed my stay there.

F.T.

Is North Foreland any good? Even if it’s a dump, is it a charming dump?

Also you guys have just about convinced me that RSG is the crown jewel for a reason, so I’m gonna play it. Thank you guys for all your help and recommendations; I’m sorry to be so stubborn about these things, I just don’t have a lot of money and costs are mounting.

Going back to Hadley Wood - I think that is well worth the effort. Take the Northern Line to High Barnet and a short cab ride. It was designed early on by the good doctor Alister Mackenzie and is almost a proto-Augusta in some respects. One hole is eerily like the 13th and a few others too. Used as an Open qualifier so its rated. Old Fold Manor is another nice one around the corner.

Whether it's "worth it" or not is a personal decision - but I do admit to liking to "collect" name courses for my list. Sounds like you've decided to play it - good for you!

Also, just FYI, the 1st UK/Ireland trip I did (Ireland in 2014) I took caddies everytime, just because, but now I've realized it's not really necessary for most courses. And it does add up to a significant expense...even a 2-person shared caddy.

I didn't use a caddy on RSG, and, had no real issues with shot directions, etc.

There are courses which everyone says caddies are a must - RCD comes to mind.

Last year in 6 rounds on my Scotland I only took a caddy on the Old Course (again, just because it's the thing to do)

TM R1
TM Rbz Stage2 3w (15) & 3 hyb (19)
Mizuno MP-64 4-Pw
Mizuno MP-T5 50-7
Titleist Vokey SM-4 54-8 & 58-12
Ping TR 1966 Anser2

Going back to Hadley Wood - I think that is well worth the effort. Take the Northern Line to High Barnet and a short cab ride. It was designed early on by the good doctor Alister Mackenzie and is almost a proto-Augusta in some respects. One hole is eerily like the 13th and a few others too. Used as an Open qualifier so its rated. Old Fold Manor is another nice one around the corner.

That's all well and good, but it is March and if it's been raining at all, I'd think it'd be a bit of a quagmire and something heath/down/moorland would be a much better option.

F.T.

That's all well and good, but it is March and if it's been raining at all, I'd think it'd be a bit of a quagmire and something heath/down/moorland would be a much better option.

+1 Generally, between November and May, it is a better bet to stay away from UK parkland courses.

Ciao

Fair call - I had forgotten how wet and boggy London courses can get in the winter/spring. HW is a good track though.

Just wondering if Royal Ashdown is in the sandy soil area or would it be a bit of a bog as well? Same question for Tandridge and The Addington?

Being along the North Downs Tandridge should/could be in decent nick after bad weather. I played Royal Ashdown last April and it was a bit mucky in the low lying areas, but 13/14 of the holes were just fine throughout and all 18 greens were good. Keeping to the coast really is the way to go, if it's a foul out.

F.T.

Well the trip is settled now, and although not yet completely booked, I will be playing 3 rounds, Monday at Prince’s (hopefully all 27 holes if they allow). Tuesday going to North Foreland in Broadstairs because it looked nice online and seemed to have nice views, short, fun course and a very polite staff answering my emails. Plus only £30, I’ll let you know how it goes. Deal was just too expensive.

Wednesday is the big day, Royal St. George’s, I’m going to reserve a time in their system today or tomorrow.

In non-golf we are going to have a day in London and another exploring Canterbury, Dover, and Sandwich, using the local Stagecoach buses for travel in the Kent Region.

Just over a month away and really excited! Thanks for all your help and advice, I’ll be sure to post pics of the trip if you all would like.

• 4 weeks later...

Just a couple of points..

Cinque ports and RCG are as good as each other in different ways. I played CP for 90 ish quid this winter so your decision is if the Open history is worth the extra moolah. Hope is not too late, but I really wouldn’t bother booking until you know the weather is ok, ie the day before. I’d almost guarantee one of the two is available, probably both. And you don’t need a caddie.

North London is an arse to get to from where you are, but if you insist.. I’d vote for Sandy Lodge at his time of year, especially as it’s been a wet few days. Had the opening qualifying last year as well, and it should be less than £50.

Just a couple of points..

Cinque ports and RCG are as good as each other in different ways. I played CP for 90 ish quid this winter so your decision is if the Open history is worth the extra moolah. Hope is not too late, but I really wouldn’t bother booking until you know the weather is ok, ie the day before. I’d almost guarantee one of the two is available, probably both. And you don’t need a caddie.

North London is an arse to get to from where you are, but if you insist.. I’d vote for Sandy Lodge at his time of year, especially as it’s been a wet few days. Had the opening qualifying last year as well, and it should be less than £50.

Thank you for your advice, North London was impossible, and so I’m going to play at North Foreland in Broadstairs.

I already booked all of the rounds because I wanted to lock them in, I really don’t mind the weather unless it is snowing or it floods the course. I’ve played in Seattle and Finland for too long. Besides, what is British Open links golf without obliterating weather?

Thanks also for the tip on a caddie. I am still on the fence about it (honestly because I want to share my RSG experience with someone and they said I won’t be paired up, but I don’t think I want to pay £70+ just for companionship; I’m getting 27 holes at Princes for the same price.)

Only a week before leaving!

Is North Foreland any good? Even if it's a dump, is it a charming dump?

Also you guys have just about convinced me that RSG is the crown jewel for a reason, so I'm gonna play it. Thank you guys for all your help and recommendations; I'm sorry to be so stubborn about these things, I just don't have a lot of money and costs are mounting.

Played in 2013, some nice views and a nice round but I could have lived without it. They have a par 3 course that resembles some of the famous UK par 3.

• 2 weeks later...

cr6p0ixu3qxi.jpegi5tif7qxdscy.jpegez086jrhp75v.jpeg9xkgvzdgc2zz.jpegqx5gl70l9x6l.jpegl04hhojp2m24.jpegWell the golf portion of the trip is now over, and the final score was North Foreland, all 27 at Prince’s, and then Royal St. George’s. All were incredibly welcoming and made sure I was well looked after. I was able to explore the clubhouse at RSG (well worth lugging a jacket and tie for), and was treated to delightful weather. A great trip!