2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Koepka Down 24 Lbs

Holy Moses

QuigleyDU said:

25 pounds is a lot of change in a relatively short period of time. that will throw your swing off. If maintained, I would think someone as skilled as Brooks would adjust, but in a short span yeah, you will feel different. Your body will move differently, he will have to buy smaller shifts so his guns show. etc.. all nuances to adjust to.

Not that I am anywhere near his caliber, but when I lost a ton of weight a couple of winters ago my swing felt foreign. Granted, I was just fat, so having more flexibility and less fat to move about while I swung actually left me hitting the ball farther. It took a bit to get some of the short game and touch type shots back though. I have to imagine that given he wasn't fat, some of the weight that he lost was in muscle mass which has some to do with the shorter distances Brooks has mentioned. I have no doubt that if he is going to sustain the new weight, he will figure out how to make a golf swing that will have him competing. 

So Brook’s has lost 24lbs and his driving/swing is suffering, isn’t this the opposite of what the ‘so called experts’ were religiously stating about players bulking up and it impeding their driving/swing.

Yet more proof they’re talking about topics above their pay-grade.

that's the funniest thing to me, guys bulk up and they get dragged because you don't need to be big to be a golfer! brooks drops weight, gets dragged because that's dumb why would you EF with your game?!

A driver head, shaft, and grip weigh like nothing, about as much as a big cheeseburger. If lifting equaled distance, NFL players would be hitting it 500 yards.

Brooks packed on muscle over time but his natural weight is probably like 185. If he stopped lifting, over time, he would lose the muscle/weight anyway. If you look at the tour, the players are generally focused on keeping trim, it seems. And they kill the ball. BK's workouts are great but he could accomplish the same stability and golf related benefits without lifting at all.

Here is your PGA Tour distance leader. Built like a linebacker ; )

Image result for cameron champ

While 24 pounds is a lot of weight, I guarantee he puts on close 7-10 pounds overnight after the shoot with water weight alone and then reverse diets his way back to a maintenance weight and this is behind him in a 14 days max. Not a big deal at all for people who regularly train and have solid nutrition. (yes very stressful on the body) 

A driver head, shaft, and grip weigh like nothing, about as much as a big cheeseburger. If lifting equaled distance, NFL players would be hitting it 500 yards.

Brooks packed on muscle over time but his natural weight is probably like 185. If he stopped lifting, over time, he would lose the muscle/weight anyway. If you look at the tour, the players are generally focused on keeping trim, it seems. And they kill the ball. BK's workouts are great but he could accomplish the same stability and golf related benefits without lifting at all.

Been in many locker rooms? Built more like a kicker. 

nolayup said:

Been in many locker rooms? Built more like a kicker. You must be new here... 
  • Like 3

nolayup said:

You must be new here... Lol. I was in the locker room today laughin at the people who run in and drink protein shakes *during their workout ; )

The is the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever heard. 

Dude won 2 majors last.  Who’s gives a sh*t about taking pictures for espn. 

Titleist 917 D2 9.5 - Aldila Rogue Max X
TaylorMade '16 M2 3HL - AD DI 8X
Adams Pro black Hybrid 20, Voodoo X
Titleist 718 CB 4-9 DGTI X100 SS 
Cleveland RTX4 Black 46, 50, 54 DGTI S400

Titleist Vokey SM7M Black 59.07 S400
Ping Milled 0

nolayup said:

You must be new here... Lol. I was in the locker room today laughin at the people who run in and drink protein shakes *during their workout ; )Intra-workout nutrition, brah. 

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

nolayup said:

Been in many locker rooms? Built more like a kicker. Camera adds 90-100lbs ..the NFL one anyway.

The PGA one is to scale

Brooks is basically the same size as Aaron Donald in real life

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

PZero said:
So he reveled it’s for an Epsn photo shoot, risky move, dumb before master having lost 12 yards off his drives 
wtf? So strange.

He may be getting advice that he needs more name recognition to be a more valuable brand.  Yes, what I typed sounds and is a bit silly, but, if you imagine a non-golf PR team saying it, it sounds plausible.  That kind of advice ignores the fact that even the best golfers don't typically have the name recognition of players from the big four sports in the U.S. (and even that is weighted heavily towards football and basketball players).  Even non-sports fan have heard of Tom Brady, but, to paraphrase Roger Maris, "Who the f--k is Brooks Koepka?"

All that said, I seriously doubt the financial juice is worth the squeeze of jeopardizing a shot at a major while in his prime.

He needs a new PR team then. Who cares about ESPN The Magazine? The problem with Brooks' appeal is he has a bland personality and shows no emotion on the course. When he won the US Open the first time he was about excited as someone getting a colonoscopy. Barely any emotion shown. Tiger's reactions were part of his appeal and why certain highlights are constantly shown. The celebration was as big as the putt/shot.

• Like 1

Yeah losing weight just made me feel weaker.  I didn't lost 24 lbs, more like 10, but feel weaker and the results were so as well.  Do look better though lol.  I would think he just needs to build up some of the muscle loss again.  Probably just wanted to get his body fat pct down.  I don't see how it matters as much in golf since it's not as important to be in shape, just strong.  There's no benefit to running to the ball to hit it quicker than your opponent.  

Callaway Paradym TD 10* Ventus Red TR 5S

Titleist TSR3 13.5* 3 Wood Tour AD-IZ 6S

Titleist TSR3 19* hybrid Modus GOST S

Titleist TSR2 24* hybrid Modus GOST S

Callaway Paradym Hybrid 27* Ventus non Velocore S

Titleist T100 2023 6-PW KBS Tour V S

Titleist SM8 50, 56, 60

Scotty Cameron X7.5 CS

Since there seems to be nothing that has been confirmed or denied about the body issue, let's ignore that for a second.

With the wrap-around schedule, there is about 1.5-2 months of "off-season" from regular PGA Tour events.  Even then, the big names often play in unofficial events (like the Hero World Challenge) or play some tournaments overseas.  So it's virtually impossible for someone to make significant changes without skipping a bunch of events or temporarily negatively impacting their performance.  Most other sports have the luxury of a long off-season enabling athletes to make significant changes without impacting their season.  On the other hand, the careers of golfers are also much longer, so even if they need to "sacrifice" 6 months of either skipping events or not performing as well, it can potentially be well worth it in the long run.  Given the minimum number of events they need to play, skipping events for months at a time is probably not an option, plus even if they don't play well, it still keeps them in the tournament mindset.

Brooks has said that his weight loss was intentional.  I'm not a medical doctor, but I'm not aware of any reason why someone who is relatively fit would intentionally lose weight unless they wanted to get leaner.  As I mentioned earlier, if someone wants to get leaner and stronger, they would likely need to lose weight first, then gain it back in the form of muscle.  Losing 24 lbs should take on the order of 3-6 months if done properly.  It has supposedly taken 4 months for Brooks to do this, which is well in that range.  I have no idea what his "end goal" is, so let's assume he gets back to where he wants in a few months.  If done correctly, he'll be leaner and stronger than he was last year.

If the body issue is true, perhaps it was just an ancillary benefit or motivation that he needed to try to improve his fitness and ultimately his golf game.  Maybe I'm being overly optimistic that this goes beyond just posing for a magazine, though.

Somehow I think he'll be just fine. Lots of people go up and down in weight throughout their careers. He has a ton of talent so I don't see him disappearing because he's down a few pounds.

Titleist TSi3 9* - Tensei Blue 60 TX
Titleist TS2 15* - D+ LTD 70X
Titleist TSi2 21* - Tensei White 80X

Srixon Z785 4i, Miura MC-501 5-PW - X100
SM7 50F, 54S, SM8 58M
Spider Tour

or espn could have just used photoshop like they do on every other athlete and brooks not lose that much weight. I just realised that we all have wayyy too much time on our hands if we are actually talking about another man losing 20 pounds. 

DRIVER --Rogue sub zero

FW- Rogue 3 wood
M2--5hl

IRONS--- jpx 900 forged 5-pw

WEDGES--T7-49-53-56-59

PUTTER-- scotty cameron buttonback

Just a guess, but this goes back to Brooks not getting asked to do meet the media after shooting a 69 to open the 2018 PGA Championship and not asked to meet the media before the 2018 Tour Championship. Brooks was clearly unhappy, but he gave incredibly boring and bland answers up until that point and I didn't blame the media for passing on him. Ever since, he's been outspoken, wore a man-thong for a photo, and now is willing to give up yards and strokes gained off the tee to be in an ESPN photo shoot. I thought he was smarter than that.

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (DI-95X, PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 50*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

• 3 weeks later...

Just making my Masters picks and Koepka is again under the radar (despite having a chip on his shoulder that he is under the radar)

None the less, I thought we were going to find out in "4 days" what all the weight loss was about?

No body issue?

Should he still be considered for the Masters even without the mass he needs to play well?

Ping 425 Max Tour Shaft X 75g 

TSI 4 Wood (3 wood smoke shaft)

500U 3 Iron Smoke 80g
712U 4 Iron
714CB 5-6
718MB 7-PW 
Vokey SM9 50, 55, 60 
SC Newport 2.5

> @c7015 said:

> Just making my Masters picks and Koepka is again under the radar (despite having a chip on his shoulder that he is under the radar)

>

> None the less, I thought we were going to find out in "4 days" what all the weight loss was about?

> No body issue?

> Should he still be considered for the Masters even without the mass he needs to play well?

Maybe he's lost weight so he uses less energy walking up the hills?

[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z565 Speeder 569 Evo IV SR[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]TaylorMade RBZ 3 wood, [/size][/font][/color][color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Matrix Ozik R[/size][/font][/color]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Srixon U65 2 iron, Miyazaki S[/size][/color][/font]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Cobra F6 Hybrid 22 degrees RedTie S[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z945 5-pw w/ DG s200[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Miura Y 51 and K 56 DG Spinner, Yururi Raw 61 KBS [/size][/font][/color][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#a4a4a4][size=2]HiRev[/size][/color][/font]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Odyssey O-Works Black 34"[/size][/color][/font]

Ya'll are acting like this guy is expected to make rational, intelligent decisions.

The only guy on Tour (any tour) dumber than this guy is the world number 1.

And that high school pic above isn't really honest. He's not that thin and hasn't been in a long time.

Callaway XR16 SubZero Aldila Rogue I/O 70X
Callaway Apex Utility Wood 19* Fujikura Ventus TR Red 60
Callaway UT 18* KBS C-Taper X
Titleist 818 H2 21*
Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW KBS DG X100
Vokey SM7 52* F
Vokey SM7 58* D
Sizemore XB-1

TMZ Channel endorses this thread

Callaway Rogue Max LS Driver, 9 degrees, Tensei Blue shaft

Mizuno ST180 5 wood

Ping G425 Max 7 wood
Srixon ZX4 4 iron
Srixon ZX5 irons 5-PW, Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 shafts

Cleveland RTX6 48* wedge

Cleveland Zipcore 54* wedge
Cleveland RTX 58* full face wedge
Nike Method Core Drone 2.0 putter 34"

You have to question why Koepka would risk his golf game for a stupid ESPN cover. Losing 24 lbs in that short a time period is mostly water and muscle so he had to know it would impact his game. The cover wasn't going to make him more marketable except to core golf fans so not sure what he and his agents were thinking.

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

I don't question it. He's not a bright guy. He doesn't love golf as much as baseball, which is what he really wanted to do. Guy probably has no idea what's going on most of the time, like my dog.

Callaway XR16 SubZero Aldila Rogue I/O 70X
Callaway Apex Utility Wood 19* Fujikura Ventus TR Red 60
Callaway UT 18* KBS C-Taper X
Titleist 818 H2 21*
Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW KBS DG X100
Vokey SM7 52* F
Vokey SM7 58* D
Sizemore XB-1