My 2019 Titleist Pro V1 vs. 2019 Taylormade TP5x Review

G-Bone

It have not posted my annual ball test results in a couple of years.  This year however was a big one for me, a knock-down drag-out battle between two of the big boys in the ball world - 2019 Titleist Pro V1 (non x) versus 2019 TaylorMade TP5x!

For any of you that have spent the past couple of years under a rock, Pro V1 is now the low spinning sibling in the Titleist lineup, and that's why I tested it against this years TaylorMade low spin offering, TP5x.

I did spend some time on Trackman hitting the two balls side by side, and I will discuss that here briefly.  However, this review is about the week I spent at Naples National testing these two amazing balls head to head during real life on course play.

Quick background: I am a seven handicap with a driver swing speed around 100 mph.  The 2015 Pro V1x was the first time I had played a V1 as my primary ball, and it fit my game perfectly.  Before that Callaway and TaylorMade had always outperformed Titleist for me.  When Titleist rolled out the 2017 V1's, I switched from V1x to V1, tested against Callaway and TaylorMade and found V1 to again be the better ball for me.  Last year I tried Chrome Soft and Chrome Soft X, and they didn't appeal to me.  So this year I was excited to test the low spinning versions of Titleist and TaylorMade!

Trackman:
As mentioned I had hit the two side by side before flying South.  With the driver TP was better; slightly more ball speed, and slightly less spin, with a similar launch angle; in total about 2-4 years longer.  With 7 iron and results were almost identical.  With my 51-degree wedge V1 was better; similar ball speed and launch angle but with more spin and control.  Other than a little chipping and putting around the house, this was my only experience with these two market share monsters as I boarded a plane leaving the frozen tundra of Michigan for the green grass and sunshine of Naples Florida!

Practice Area:
First stop - the chipping green with two sleeves of each ball and my trusty wedges.  I spent about an hour working on all of my favorite short game and greenside shots.  Both balls performed similarly, but to my eye, it appeared the TP would bite a bit harder and stop a bit quicker with most short shots.  I miss my fair share of greens, so getting up and down is an essential part of my game... short game performance is a must for me.  Both balls were great, but it appeared TP had the edge here, that was a surprise to me.  Regarding feel, both balls felt different, but not one better than the other.  In truth, I believe they 'felt' the same but sounded different.  V1 a bit dull and TP a bit sharp; no preference here for me.

Over the next few days, I played five rounds of golf with V1 and TP.  Each day I alternated balls on front and back nines, always playing both balls every day, but not always the same nine holes.

Driver / 3 Wood:
This year's TP appears to launch a bit lower than last year, which I prefer.  Yet TP still launches slightly higher than V1.  I hit good and bad drives with both, but the best of the best always seem to come from the TP.  When comparing the two for wind performance, there was no desirable difference.  When it came to feel the TP felt heavier or firmer, but not hard.  Both were acceptable, but my feel preference is V1.

Hybrids / Long Irons:
I expected greater separation here but didn't find it.  It looks like the new V1 launches a little higher than last years in this category which for my swing put these two balls neck and neck for distance.  Wind performance was similar, and as with my driver, TP felt heavier, and I preferred the feel of V1.

Mid / Short Irons:
Once again I expected greater separation here.  I assumed it would be much harder to work TP, but that was not the case.  I could launch both balls high; I could flight them low and could move them left to right when needed.  Being picky, I would give a slight edge to V1, a little easier to flight and move left and right.  I do think the wind pushed the V1 a little more than TP when coming from the side.  However, into and downwind they seemed to perform equally.  Again, V1 edges out TP on feel with these clubs.  From the top of the bag through mid and short irons the TP feels like it bounces off the face, as where the V1 seems to melt into it.  I prefer the latter, but I'm guessing there is a wide range of opinions on this.

Full / Partial Wedges:
This is the first place I began to see spin performance differ between balls.  For me, V1 launched lower and spun more.  However, with TP's higher launch, the ball stopped quickly on the greens but was less predictable.  I believe any good player could adjust to both balls with a little practice.  For me, the V1 was more comfortable, but in all fairness, I've been playing the older version for two years.  The wind appeared to be a nonfactor here, which surprised me.  I'm guessing V1's lower trajectory "protected" it from the wind's effects, as where TP cut through it with its lower spin.  For me, the feel begins to blend together with the shorter clubs.  I no longer felt the "bounce" I felt with TP on longer clubs and V1 didn't seem to "melt" into the face as much on the wedges.  Both felt great.

Green Side Chips / Pitches / Bunkers:
This is the bread and butter of my game.  This is where I win bets and break hearts!  So for me, this is the most crucial part of a golf balls performance.  Keep in mind on the practice green TP seemed to bight harder than V1, and for my short game style, nothing could make me happier.  As luck would have it, I didn't miss many greens the first two rounds, and I would score both balls short game performance equal.  Then on day three, once I found the first bunker, I started to find them all.  For the first time, I began to lose some faith in TP.  I would hit solid bunker shots, then look up with anticipation of seeing it bounce once, bight hard, and trickle towards the jar.  Sadly, time and time again this didn't happen, for me.  Instead, TP would bounce, lightly check, and release past my target.  I made the turn, put the V1 in play, harshly found more sand, hit good shots, and accomplished what I was looking for; bounce, bite, trickle... Yes!  Naples National is an intensely well-groomed course, with incredibly tight lies and firm, fast greens.  More than once I found myself on very firm tight turf with the need to toss the ball up fast, down fast, to greens that tilt away towards water or bunkers.  Sadly, good shots with TP did not yield my desired results.  At one point I had to flop the ball 15 yards over a bunker to the edge of the green with a 5-7% downhill towards the water.  The V1 performed as I needed and stayed dry.  I dropped two TP's, attempted the same shot, and lost two balls in the water. I don't know why my the practice green results differed from on course, but after five rounds I confirmed to myself that they did.  That being said, for my game, the clear winner here is V1.

I was excited early in the week with the prospect of gaming TP5x.  I would love the additional tee ball performance coupled with fantastic greenside performance.  Sadly for me, during my week of testing, that magical combo did not show itself.

My friends will tell you, as my short game goes so does my score.  For that reason, I am tied to a ball that performs best for me around the greens, and this year that ball is the 2019 Titleist Pro V1.

Both are incredible golf balls!  In summary, I believe TP5x has the advantage with the driver through short irons, and Pro V1 has the advantage with wedges and greenside performance.  It's safe to say if I was a better iron player, hit more greens, and did not need to lean on my short game so heavily I would choose TP5x.  But with my current skill set or lack thereof, I need V1's short game prowess... and for that reason, it will be my ball for the new year.

PING G430 Max 10K Driver 8º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 5

PING G430 Max 3 Wood 14º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 6

Titleist TSr2 5 Wood 18º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 7

Titleist TSr2 7 Wood 21º ~ GD Tour AD-XC 8

Srixon ZX4 Mk II Irons 5–7 ~ Project X IO 6.0

Srixon ZX5 Mk II Irons 8–P ~ Project X IO 6.0

Vokey Design SM9 Raw Wedges 'Voke' Handground 50.12F • 56.08M • 62.08M ~ Project X 6.0
Odyssey  Tri-Hot 5K Three ~ BGT Stability Tour 2 Polar
Titleist Pro V1x ~ #12

interesting, was there any wind on your golfing days?

We had your standard 10-15 mph South Florida wind, but nothing heavy. 

Vokey Design SM9 Raw Wedges 'Voke' Handground 50.12F • 56.08M • 62.08M ~ Project X 6.0
Titleist Pro V1x ~ #12

G-Bone said:
interesting, was there any wind on your golfing days?
We had your standard 10-15 mph South Florida wind, but nothing heavy. ok. 

wind performance for me seems to be the difference maker for the ball.

I am still toying between the two you have tested.

• Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

How do you think the test would go if you went v1 vs regular tp5?
I didn't get into it in my review because I wanted to specifically share results for these two balls.  However, I did hit 2019 TP5 and 2019 Pro V1x on Trackman as well.  For me, TP5 had more spin and less ball speed with the driver when comparing to V1 and TP5x and was therefore shorter.  Also, it over spun for my liking with wedges and short irons.  Because of that I never took it to the course to test.

• Like 1

Titleist Pro V1x ~ #12

G-Bone, awesome review and thanks for that. The way you described your game / swing speed is virtually identical to mine. I have been and do play the Pro V1 as well and like you the short game is where is excels for me. I also play ( with pretty much identical results ) the Snell MTB Blacks. Once I run out, if ever ( still have about 20 dozen ) of the Pro V's I will play the Snells exclusively. But probably by the time that happens there will have been 5 - 6 more models released.

PS - I know my Sig is huge and it wasn't that way with the old format. Once I can fix it I will.

• Like 1

DRIVER -     PXG Gen 4 0811X - 8* | 🔥PROXIMA 5S🔥
2 WD -         PXG Gen 4  13* |  🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥

5 / 7 WD-    PXG Gen 5 | Project X Riptide CB 4.0 40g Ladies 

IRONS -       PXG Gen 6 XP DOUBLE BLACK | MMT 80 Stiff                     
WEDGES -  PXG Sugar Daddy II 54*/13 and 58*/10 | MMT 80 Stiff  
GRIPS -       JUMBOMAX ULTRALIGHT XL
PUTTER -   LAB DF 3.0 
BAG -           PXG Staff Bag

G-Bone said:
It have not posted my annual ball test results in a couple of years.  This year however was a big one for me, a knock-down drag-out battle between two of the big boys in the ball world - 2019 Titleist Pro V1 (non x) versus 2019 TaylorMade TP5x!

For any of you that have spent the past couple of years under a rock, Pro V1 is now the low spinning sibling in the Titleist lineup, and that's why I tested it against this years TaylorMade low spin offering, TP5x.

I did spend some time on Trackman hitting the two balls side by side, and I will discuss that here briefly.  However, this review is about the week I spent at Naples National testing these two amazing balls head to head during real life on course play.

Quick background: I am a seven handicap with a driver swing speed around 100 mph.  The 2015 Pro V1x was the first time I had played a V1 as my primary ball, and it fit my game perfectly.  Before that Callaway and TaylorMade had always outperformed Titleist for me.  When Titleist rolled out the 2017 V1's, I switched from V1x to V1, tested against Callaway and TaylorMade and found V1 to again be the better ball for me.  Last year I tried Chrome Soft and Chrome Soft X, and they didn't appeal to me.  So this year I was excited to test the low spinning versions of Titleist and TaylorMade!

Trackman:
As mentioned I had hit the two side by side before flying South.  With the driver TP was better; slightly more ball speed, and slightly less spin, with a similar launch angle; in total about 2-4 years longer.  With 7 iron and results were almost identical.  With my 51-degree wedge V1 was better; similar ball speed and launch angle but with more spin and control.  Other than a little chipping and putting around the house, this was my only experience with these two market share monsters as I boarded a plane leaving the frozen tundra of Michigan for the green grass and sunshine of Naples Florida!

Practice Area:
First stop - the chipping green with two sleeves of each ball and my trusty wedges.  I spent about an hour working on all of my favorite short game and greenside shots.  Both balls performed similarly, but to my eye, it appeared the TP would bite a bit harder and stop a bit quicker with most short shots.  I miss my fair share of greens, so getting up and down is an essential part of my game... short game performance is a must for me.  Both balls were great, but it appeared TP had the edge here, that was a surprise to me.  Regarding feel, both balls felt different, but not one better than the other.  In truth, I believe they 'felt' the same but sounded different.  V1 a bit dull and TP a bit sharp; no preference here for me.

Over the next few days, I played five rounds of golf with V1 and TP.  Each day I alternated balls on front and back nines, always playing both balls every day, but not always the same nine holes.

Driver / 3 Wood:
This year's TP appears to launch a bit lower than last year, which I prefer.  Yet TP still launches slightly higher than V1.  I hit good and bad drives with both, but the best of the best always seem to come from the TP.  When comparing the two for wind performance, there was no desirable difference.  When it came to feel the TP felt heavier or firmer, but not hard.  Both were acceptable, but my feel preference is V1.

Hybrids / Long Irons:
I expected greater separation here but didn't find it.  It looks like the new V1 launches a little higher than last years in this category which for my swing put these two balls neck and neck for distance.  Wind performance was similar, and as with my driver, TP felt heavier, and I preferred the feel of V1.

Mid / Short Irons:
Once again I expected greater separation here.  I assumed it would be much harder to work TP, but that was not the case.  I could launch both balls high; I could flight them low and could move them left to right when needed.  Being picky, I would give a slight edge to V1, a little easier to flight and move left and right.  I do think the wind pushed the V1 a little more than TP when coming from the side.  However, into and downwind they seemed to perform equally.  Again, V1 edges out TP on feel with these clubs.  From the top of the bag through mid and short irons the TP feels like it bounces off the face, as where the V1 seems to melt into it.  I prefer the latter, but I'm guessing there is a wide range of opinions on this.

Full / Partial Wedges:
This is the first place I began to see spin performance differ between balls.  For me, V1 launched lower and spun more.  However, with TP's higher launch, the ball stopped quickly on the greens but was less predictable.  I believe any good player could adjust to both balls with a little practice.  For me, the V1 was more comfortable, but in all fairness, I've been playing the older version for two years.  The wind appeared to be a nonfactor here, which surprised me.  I'm guessing V1's lower trajectory "protected" it from the wind's effects, as where TP cut through it with its lower spin.  For me, the feel begins to blend together with the shorter clubs.  I no longer felt the "bounce" I felt with TP on longer clubs and V1 didn't seem to "melt" into the face as much on the wedges.  Both felt great.

Green Side Chips / Pitches / Bunkers:
This is the bread and butter of my game.  This is where I win bets and break hearts!  So for me, this is the most crucial part of a golf balls performance.  Keep in mind on the practice green TP seemed to bight harder than V1, and for my short game style, nothing could make me happier.  As luck would have it, I didn't miss many greens the first two rounds, and I would score both balls short game performance equal.  Then on day three, once I found the first bunker, I started to find them all.  For the first time, I began to lose some faith in TP.  I would hit solid bunker shots, then look up with anticipation of seeing it bounce once, bight hard, and trickle towards the jar.  Sadly, time and time again this didn't happen, for me.  Instead, TP would bounce, lightly check, and release past my target.  I made the turn, put the V1 in play, harshly found more sand, hit good shots, and accomplished what I was looking for; bounce, bite, trickle... Yes!  Naples National is an intensely well-groomed course, with incredibly tight lies and firm, fast greens.  More than once I found myself on very firm tight turf with the need to toss the ball up fast, down fast, to greens that tilt away towards water or bunkers.  Sadly, good shots with TP did not yield my desired results.  At one point I had to flop the ball 15 yards over a bunker to the edge of the green with a 5-7% downhill towards the water.  The V1 performed as I needed and stayed dry.  I dropped two TP's, attempted the same shot, and lost two balls in the water. I don't know why my the practice green results differed from on course, but after five rounds I confirmed to myself that they did.  That being said, for my game, the clear winner here is V1.

I was excited early in the week with the prospect of gaming TP5x.  I would love the additional tee ball performance coupled with fantastic greenside performance.  Sadly for me, during my week of testing, that magical combo did not show itself.

My friends will tell you, as my short game goes so does my score.  For that reason, I am tied to a ball that performs best for me around the greens, and this year that ball is the 2019 Titleist Pro V1.

Both are incredible golf balls!  In summary, I believe TP5x has the advantage with the driver through short irons, and Pro V1 has the advantage with wedges and greenside performance.  It's safe to say if I was a better iron player, hit more greens, and did not need to lean on my short game so heavily I would choose TP5x.  But with my current skill set or lack thereof, I need V1's short game prowess... and for that reason, it will be my ball for the new year.
You really need to try the TP5 non X. I find it better than the ProV1 with more spin, higher launch and without the hard feel of the TP5X. 

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

@QuigleyDU thank you for your suggestion. I mentioned it in a post that I did try TP5 on Tackman but not the course. For my swing, it had too much spin with driver and wedges, so I didn't spend time with it on the course.

Titleist Pro V1x ~ #12

• 2 weeks later...

That was an awesome review. My experience with TP5X was almost identical. Amazing ball and I loved everything about it but it just didn’t check the way I am used to on the short game shots. Time and time again it just released 10-15 feet past the target. Like you my wedge game is my Rock! The shots I play have reacted the same basically for 25 years and this ball just doesn’t spin a lot on short shots. We are very lucky to have all the options we do. Its never been easier to dial in the best ball for all our games with less compromises.

• Like 1

Cobra Aero LS 9 Fuji Evo IV 569 X

Honma TR21 15* VIZARD FP7 Stiff

Honma TR21 HY 18* VIZARD UT 7

Honma TR21 HY 21* VIZARD UT 8

Honma TR21X 5-11 VIZARD IBWF 100

HighToe MG3 54* VIZARD IB 120

HighToe MG3 58*/13 VIZARD IB 120

MackMade custom Slide MMT putter