How to find a putter you love?

tgoodspe1991

I know this is personal to every player, but would still love to hear y'all's thoughts.

I can't seem to find a putter I love or really even like lately. Every putter I think I am going to love, once I get it in hand, I'm just not all that into it. I have usually always been able to find something I like about a putter to keep it around for a while, but I'm not enthused with anything right now, and I really would love to find that "one putter" that I game for a long time.

Any tips?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know this is personal to every player, but would still love to hear y'all's thoughts.

I can't seem to find a putter I love or really even like lately. Every putter I think I am going to love, once I get it in hand, I'm just not all that into it. I have usually always been able to find something I like about a putter to keep it around for a while, but I'm not enthused with anything right now, and I really would love to find that "one putter" that I game for a long time.

Any tips?

There are a lot of single available putters out there. Have you tried puttermatch.com or eputters.com? If those don’t work maybe farmersputtersonly.com! Lol

Just put yourself out there & try as many as you can. You’ll know when you find “The One.”

If that doesn’t work don’t be afraid to go custom/mail order & get exactly what you want. I’ve got a sweet little Australian (Lajosi) & working on adding one or two from Arizona. Nice thing about putters is they don’t get too upset when you add more into the mix.

Try a lot, maybe a fitting would be good to at least find a type of putter you like then search from within that segment.

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

I think to my eye I find a lot of mid mallet shapes appealing. Like the Odyssey 5 type of shape. I also have always been interested in trying a 2 ball. Maybe if I know I like the mid mallet shape I should just find one I like the look of and just start from there.

A lot of the putters I just have been totally uninterested in upon holding are more bladed types, so maybe that has something to do with it...

If you know the shape you like that's a great start. From there; hosel, offset, finish and alignment lines. This must all lead to what appeals the most and more importantly what do you aim best with. Fitting/SAM or Quintic session can help guide you to dial in alignment and loft or at least show you where you're at.

Whatever works.

I have had a similar experience.  Every time I go into a Golf Galaxy or PGA Tour Superstore (which is like multiple times per week) I mess around with tons of putters but nothing ever really stands out, they are all just minor variations of the same thing.  The most success I have had finding a putter that just really stands out is by going to a place that has a ton of high quality used putters.  Every once and a while I will come across something where the previous owner has done some tinkering that I never would have thought of and it turns out to work perfectly for me.    Maybe I have just been lucky

Go to a pro or outlet with a SAM machine, and an open mind

Ask him to analyze your stroke and fit you into a putter

Buy that putter based on the data, not the aesthetics, although both might align if lucky

I did this, wanted a betti blade, ended up in a Spider. Ive tried several other mallets since that look better and "should" perform as good as my spider platinum, but they don't

I floated around for a bit, then got methodical.  Went thru maybe 7 putter purchases before I got to exactly what I wanted....

For me....

1. Shape - what looks best to my eye, gives me confidence when I stand over it.  This is a huge criteria.

2. Shaft - what kind of shaft placement looks and works best for me (no offset, half shaft, full, center, heel)

3. Face material - insert or steel, milled.  This was a big one for me as I tried a number of inserts, eventually determined that I preferred no insert material.

4. Counterbalance - yes or no.  I putted with and without counterbalance weights to eventually settle on my preferred weight

5. Grip - personal preference

I also got fitted with my mostly preferred putter (shape, shaft, etc) at the time.  The fitter dialed it in - length, bend, added a bit of weight to the back of the head.  This was the cherry on top regarding consistency.

Been in my bag for a long time now.

Driver (9.0) - Cobra LTDx Aldila Rogue Silver 70 S, 44.5"
Wood (14.5) - Ping G425 MAX Alta CB 65 Slate S

Wood (17.5) - Ping G425 MAX Alta CB 65 Slate S
Driving Iron (20) - Srixon U65 Project X 5.5
Irons (5-6) - Srixon Z565 Project X 5.5
Irons (7-P) - Srixon Z765 Project X 5.5
Wedges - Vokey SM-7 Jet Black / 50.08 F / 54.08 M / 58.08 M DG S300
Putter - Edel E-1
Ball - Titleist Prov1x
ZGrip Midsized Grips

Start with 4 or 5 you REALLY like the look of. Then if possible, find a place you can get fit on SAM or Quintic and see if you can be fit into all of them. Pick the one that gives you the best results.

If you can't get fit like that then the road to find the end game putter can be much harder. It involves buying, trying (then selling) quite a few putters til you find one that tends to give you the best results over time. I HIGHLY suggest the Ping putting app. That's how I was able to narrow down many putters to just a few. Went to get fit on Quintic after.. Boom. I'm now in the Juno putter and I do not plan to change until it's so beat up I need another (and I'll probably go get a very similar one after that, too).

The only thing I see myself doing is maaaaybe down the road, buying a custom Byron or something that is identical in looks to this, and matches all the specs. However, I think this True Roll tech on the face does help the ball roll a little better.

Lancj1 said:
Go to a pro or outlet with a SAM machine, and an open mind

Ask him to analyze your stroke and fit you into a putter

Buy that putter based on the data, not the aesthetics, although both might align if lucky

I did this, wanted a betti blade, ended up in a Spider. Ive tried several other mallets since that look better and "should" perform as good as my spider platinum, but they don't

I did this about 2 years ago and came out with a very square stroke that would benefit from larger mallet putters. Come to think of it, I don't think I have gamed a mallet putter since that fitting... Mainly because he tried to sell me his own line of putters and I didn't want anything to do with that, but I never went and bought a mallet. I stuck with my Bettinardi FCB. Ego over common sense I guess. 

I really liked the look of the new Odyssey R-Ball, and you reminding me of that SAM putt lab session makes me want to pull the trigger on that. 

It’s all confidence, touch and feel Brother?

Cheers?

RPa1lus49va7o0.jpeg

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Once I went Seemore, I don’t think I will ever go back.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

Really is a feel/confidence thing I agree. I played with a couple anser style blades and tried a #7. When i picked up my current putter, and set it up behind a ball at home on my little practice green, it just sat so perfect and suited my eye so well, it just clicked that i loved everything about it. And when i take it out on the course i feel the same way everytime. I love it. The performance i feel comes from me, and I try not to blame poor putts on the tool but rather the operator.

TM SIM Max 9*  Tensei blue AV 65-S

Mizuno ST180 3w 15* Tensei blue-S

Cobra BioCell 5w 19* Matrix RedTie-S

Ping G30 4h 22* TFC 419-R

Taylormade R-11 5-PW KBS Tour 90-S

Cleveland CBX 52* 58* DG 115-W

Mannkrafted rebar Rattler 

Cheers?

RPa1lus49va7o0.jpeg

This is the truth. Lord knows I’ve tried it every way. It’s absolutely not something you can pin down to proper positions etc . 

As for finding “ the one” I also feel your pain.  I’m a guy who seems to need to see something different every week or so. And that’s maddening . The thing that worked last week won’t hit the line this week. But something else will.  Why ?  I haven’t a clue. 

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Cheers?

RPa1lus49va7o0.jpeg

This is the truth. Lord knows I’ve tried it every way. It’s absolutely not something you can pin down to proper positions etc . 

As for finding “ the one” I also feel your pain.  I’m a guy who seems to need to see something different every week or so. And that’s maddening . The thing that worked last week won’t hit the line this week. But something else will.  Why ?  I haven’t a clue. 

I hope that this is the correct way to “respond” and include Blade’s post as he brought up a great point regarding “proper positions” not being the “key” to either finding a putter or more importantly, finding a successful stroke. 

I’ve been Blessed to have been able to putt with and pick the brains of some of the Greatest Players ever to have Played this crazy game, including the man who’s quote that I included above. However the greatest advice that I ever received was from my Teacher, Pete, who taught arguably one of the 3-4 Greatest to ever plant the peg for Pay, his Bro, Sam. Pete, like his Bro, preferred simple arithmetic to trigonometry, especially with a putter.....Touch + Feel= ConfidenceIt ain’t about positions, angles, data or stats Bros!!!If you become a great putter that way, PLEASE, post a thread with a lil vid running some putts, and he’ll, it can be in your living room, and I’ll be the first to apologize for my ignorance, lmaoGood luck with that one??Just as Jack stated, and if you ever speak to a world class putter, Am or Pro, they will tell ya the same thing~

A great putting stroke is not one that is created by obsessing over positions, angles, statistics or data, lmao

Pete told me that I would know when I had a “solid” stroke when I could walk into a shop, pull ANY putter from the rack, take it to the green and roll some practice putts and then put that putter in my bag and putt with it just as I did/do with my regular gamer.

I’ve included this vid just to show that one, mental is much much more important than physical and secondly, if ya have a decent stroke, you can fall in love with and use practically any putter.

Yea, some putters are better suited for certain strokes than others, however I have a fairly straight back straight through, especially inside 10’, and I’ve used my 8802, a string arc putter, successfully, for 33-34 of my previous 36+ years(1976 when I got it) and a heel shafted 8802 design(Mac TFP 90-1 & 90-4, Odyssey Black Tour #8 & Napa T) for another 1-1 1/2 of those 36 years. I will determine what my thoughts are going to be in my mind, not someone else, and especially guys that I don’t even know, though I don’t care if it’s Jack, my Tour Bud or even Pete, cuz it was my Grandmother, a four-time State Womens’ Am, and Pete’s mixed BB Partner until the USGA leaned on her even though she never took a dime, for those of you who haven’t read about her influence in my prior posts, that impressed this upon me in ALL areas of my life.

I find a Teacher/Mentor or two, be it athletically, Professionally or socially, and I listen to them and trust them religiously, and to this day, not a single one has let me down!!So I have a core set of beliefs pertaining to putting, I have ingrained them and I use them to block the “noise,” both internal or external. You may be thinking “WTF dies this have to do with choosing a putter or becoming a great putter,” and I say it has EVERYTHING to do with it.Please remember this....Touch + Feel=ConfidenceI’ve included this vid because this shows that I walk the talk, lol. This was taken a few years ago when I accompanied Maddie and one of her fellow Pros to a local Dick’s for a “Kiddie Klinic.”

Out of boredom, I grabbed a putter that was the best of a mediocre lot, a Ping Anser something or other, lol, I dropped my three balls at 9’6”, as there was a marked line on the green stating such, and I never found out why it was not done at 10’, however I took a few practice strokes and these were the first three balls that I stroked. I understand that it’s not a real green, on a real course, under competitive conditions. However if you think it’s that easy to do, go to your local big box, grab a putter of a different design than ya bag, drop three at 9’6”, hell, I’m in a great mood, lol, so drop em at 8’ and see how ya do.

Also, close your left eye if you’re a righty and reverse it if you’re a lefty, lolol. Oh yea, video & post it. And I don’t care if it’s your first three balls or last three?Another point or two aside from that this wasn’t my regular putter, I’d never stoked a single ball with it before and I didnt/don’t even use that design as a gamer, however this was also post-stroke/TIA so I was(still am) legally blind in my left eye(20/210) and I still had partial loss of feeling, numbness and burning on my left side(still do) and especially in my extremities, ie., my foot, hand and fingers. You can see me regrip just prior to stroking one of the putts, and I never ever did this prior however it seems to end the burning and tingling momentarily, so I basically have a “window” in which to stroke the putt prior to it starting again.

~

I didn’t vid my stroke though to me, the stroke is inconsequential, lolThat ball tracking & falling into that cup is THE only thing on my mind. I’ve putted millions of balls over the past five decades + and I still have supreme confidence in my mind’s ability to will my body to produce the appropriate stroke.My full swing???That’s a whole different ball game, lmaoYou don’t have to be a great Player, hell, you don’t even have to be a Player, to be a great putter.You do have to have supreme CONFIDENCE that you can make a putt from anywhere, with any putter, under any conditions!!

Ya gotta trust me on this one Bros~

That doesn’t come from mechanizing a stroke or obsessing or even thinking about positions, angles, data or stats!!!It comes from being able to successfully visualize the stroke, path and ball falling into the cup and the touch & feel to achieve that along with the supreme confidence to know that you are going to get it done. Regarding a certain putter, find one that obviously “fits” your eye, as to me this is most critical, though don’t obsess over it, take it out and work with it. I’m talking thousands of putts here. Then tens of thousands. Then hundreds of thousands. Then.....

You get the picture?

All the Best Bros?

Blade, I hope that you & Yours are well Brother, you’re in my thoughts?

Apologies for novella though I just think that this is critical to becoming a great putter and there’s so much bulls*** in this thread and any thread on putting around here that I just gotta leave it out there for the one or two guys that really wanna take it to the next level where the big doggies Play, lol. 

Fairways & Greens 4ever My Friends

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Since I don't see a way to reply to a particular post on this new site....:(

I agree with Richard. It is touch and feel and sight. The gift can be developed. It does help-in my opinion-to have a putter with the proper toe hang. I despise face balanced mallet putters even though they "look" like they should be easy to roll.

Find a putter that looks right-feels balanced- to you not to someone else- and that the alignment is a natural fit. You will be waaay ahead of the game.

Richard is correct that a good putter can roll anything well. But I believe to get started a putter that fits YOUR eye will help you immensely.

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

Go back to classics:

Anser, Bullseye, 8802 and Newport 2

e7nb53a423og.jpg

Or something Japanese like a Miura:

bia97dyajbyl.jpg

ua23vsvohot5.jpg