2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Soft, straight ball for high SS??

Tblythe

Project a is a really nice ball, one of my top two. The other is Chrome Soft. I recently tried the Wilson Duo Professional and while it is a nice ball I think the experiment with matte finish balls is over. They just pick up a ton of dirt and if it’s damp they grab mud like crazy. If you get into the super low compression balls it starts becoming impossible to control distance with wedges because they have virtually no spin. 

wilson duo...

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

> @Tblythe said:

> Does SS vs compression matter with today’s modern golf ball? Does a 60 compression perform worse with a 115 mph SS?

I think there’s definitely a point where low compression hurts someone with a high ss. I’m not sure 60 would be the number though. A high ss paired with a ball that doesn’t spin makes consistent short iron play virtually impossible.

SS ~ 110. I switched to Project A last year and love it

2017 TaylorMade M2 10.5° Kuro Kage Silver Dual-Core TiNi 60 X-Stiff
2017 TaylorMade M2 18° Kuro Kage Silver TiNi 70 X-Stiff
Ping G410 19° & 26° Tour 85 Stiff
Wishon 771CSI 5-PW X100
Titleist SM6 46-08, 50-08, X100...56-14, 62-08 DG TT S400
Scotty Cameron California Del Mar

> @BiggErn said:

> Project a is a really nice ball, one of my top two. The other is Chrome Soft. I recently tried the Wilson Duo Professional and while it is a nice ball I think the experiment with matte finish balls is over. They just pick up a ton of dirt and if it’s damp they grab mud like crazy. If you get into the super low compression balls it starts becoming impossible to control distance with wedges because they have virtually no spin. 

The white Wilson Duo Professional is not matte.

Driver: Cobra F9 with HZRDUS SMOKE Stiff
3W: Titleist 917F2 w/Fujikura Speeder Pro Tour Spec 84 Stiff
2I: Srixon Z U65 18 Degree w/Miyazaki Kaula 7s
Irons: Mizuno MP-54 3-PW DG S300 
Wedge: Vokey TVD 56 K-Grind
Wedge: Vokey SM6 60-12 K-Grind 
Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

> @trackcoach13 said:

> > @BiggErn said:

> > Project a is a really nice ball, one of my top two. The other is Chrome Soft. I recently tried the Wilson Duo Professional and while it is a nice ball I think the experiment with matte finish balls is over. They just pick up a ton of dirt and if it’s damp they grab mud like crazy. If you get into the super low compression balls it starts becoming impossible to control distance with wedges because they have virtually no spin. 

>

> The white Wilson Duo Professional is not matte.

I use a yellow ball

• 2 months later...

I have same speed and problem as you, tried lots of balls out on course and GC2.

Here are the facts.

1) A bad slice will put any ball out of bounds. You need to accept that, BUT, there are IMO balls out there which can give you an easier time (I will share at the end)

2) Reducing your swing speed will reduce all of the things which put the ball in trouble if like me you don't want to learn to swing properly.

3) Wilson DX2 optix (29 compression-orange) is IMO the best straight ball I have used.

Its only flaw is they do crack a lot (with our SS) and up until the point they crack, they might be costing you, so unless you're prepared to use a new ball every round (which I was not) I would not use them. Thankfully, they do a wilson orange in fifty compression called the wilson fifty elite, this is my current ball, its similar to the DX2, but the extra 21 compression probably makes it a better ball, the dx2 is so soft it can be really springy off the putter and wedge.

I still have a soft spot for it.

I would also really recommended the pinnacle rush, its much harder ball than the dx2 or or fifty, but goes long and straight.

I have tried velocity, was all over place for me.

Out of the testing I have done, nothing spins lower than the pinnacle rush, it was also the ball which got me the biggest drive on GC2. 327yds @ 117.1

The wilsons are within a few yards. I have just ordered some volviks to try, I hear they like to go straight too.

The good thing is, those pinnacles, dx2's and wilsons are dead cheap. Don't worry about them not being a premium ball, I am off 13 and I was 3 under after 5 the other day, you can play good golf with them.

I will try out the volviks, and probably order another box of pinnacle rushes and then decide on them or the wilson fifty.

I like using orange golf balls, pinnacle only do white or green. So I think I will probably settle on the wilson fifty.

If you like white or green, and a hardish feel (but not volvik hard) then the rush is for you.

Try them, I think you'll be impressed. Don't be afraid to slow your swing down.

I do it all the time on holes I have to find fairway on, much better failure rate.

> @BM5D said:

> AVX but watch out for the fliers. I love the AVX until I launch one 20 yards over the green from light rough.

Yeah, it was the ball's FAULT.

Or maybe a hot spot in your club ??? LOL

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

> @nsxguy said:

> > @BM5D said:

> > AVX but watch out for the fliers. I love the AVX until I launch one 20 yards over the green from light rough.

>

> Yeah, it was the ball's FAULT.

>

> Or maybe a hot spot in your club ??? LOL

I promise you it's not the clubs. Fliers rarely happen with other balls, and nearly every time with the AVX. I'm not the only one who has noticed this, either.

The downside is, AVX spins less than a Pro V1 or 'most any other multipiece urethane covered ball. Any situation where you want every last rpm of spin you can get (like coming out of a flyer lie in the rough), the AVX will be a worse choice than normal Tour balls.

The upside is, AVX spins less than a Pro V1 or 'most any other multipiece urethane covered ball. Any situation where you'd benefit from a little spin, the AVX will be a good choice.

Every player has to decide whether the upside or the downside is more of an issue in his game.

> @BM5D said:

> > @nsxguy said:

> > > @BM5D said:

> > > AVX but watch out for the fliers. I love the AVX until I launch one 20 yards over the green from light rough.

> >

> > Yeah, it was the ball's FAULT.

> >

> > Or maybe a hot spot in your club ??? LOL

>

> I promise you it's not the clubs. Fliers rarely happen with other balls, and **nearly every time with the AVX**. I'm not the only one who has noticed this, either.

"Nearly every time with the AVX" ??? If it happens every time it is NOT a flier; it is a normal shot. LOL

Please stop with the hyperbole. It was you and your situation, not the ball.

I've been playing the AVX for about 9 or 10 months now. I have seen NO unusual, or any more, fliers with this ball than any other. It is as consistent as anything else out there.

Titleist Pro V1X

> @Tblythe said:

> My SS is in the 110-115 range but I love the feeling of a really soft golf ball. I’m always afraid I’m giving up some distance with a ball with compression under 75. I can get a little loose at times too so I don’t need anything that spins too much and will magnify my flaws. Thoughts? 

If you play a soft ball at 115mph, you're going to lose distance, simple as that.

Do you want to have a "soft feel" or play your best golf? I'm sure balls like AVX provide a middle ground but why give up yards over something like softness. I'm sure pro's love a squishy soft pillow feel too but do you see much (if any?) guys playing in the big leagues with soft compression balls?

Just play TP5/ProV etc and forget the rest.

> @nsxguy said:

> > @BM5D said:

> > > @nsxguy said:

> > > > @BM5D said:

> > > > AVX but watch out for the fliers. I love the AVX until I launch one 20 yards over the green from light rough.

> > >

> > > Yeah, it was the ball's FAULT.

> > >

> > > Or maybe a hot spot in your club ??? LOL

> >

> > I promise you it's not the clubs. Fliers rarely happen with other balls, and **nearly every time with the AVX**. I'm not the only one who has noticed this, either.

>

> "Nearly every time with the AVX" ??? If it happens every time it is NOT a flier; it is a normal shot. LOL

>

> Please stop with the hyperbole. It was you and your situation, not the ball.

>

> I've been playing the AVX for about 9 or 10 months now. I have seen NO unusual, or any more, fliers with this ball than any other. It is as consistent as anything else out there.

Hey man I can get behind that. So my normal 8 iron goes 200 yards with the AVX, but only out of the rough. Good stuff.

> @BM5D said:

> > @nsxguy said:

> > > @BM5D said:

> > > > @nsxguy said:

> > > > > @BM5D said:

> > > > > AVX but watch out for the fliers. I love the AVX until I launch one 20 yards over the green from light rough.

> > > >

> > > > Yeah, it was the ball's FAULT.

> > > >

> > > > Or maybe a hot spot in your club ??? LOL

> > >

> > > I promise you it's not the clubs. Fliers rarely happen with other balls, and **nearly every time with the AVX**. I'm not the only one who has noticed this, either.

> >

> > "Nearly every time with the AVX" ??? If it happens every time it is NOT a flier; it is a normal shot. LOL

> >

> > Please stop with the hyperbole. It was you and your situation, not the ball.

> >

> > I've been playing the AVX for about 9 or 10 months now. I have seen NO unusual, or any more, fliers with this ball than any other. It is as consistent as anything else out there.

>

> Hey man I can get behind that. So my normal 8 iron goes 200 yards with the AVX, but only out of the rough. Good stuff.

Fliers typically COME out of the rough.

So yes, good stuff indeed !!!

Titleist Pro V1X

> @Z1ggy16 said:

> > @Tblythe said:

> > My SS is in the 110-115 range but I love the feeling of a really soft golf ball. I’m always afraid I’m giving up some distance with a ball with compression under 75. I can get a little loose at times too so I don’t need anything that spins too much and will magnify my flaws. Thoughts? 

>

> If you play a soft ball at 115mph, you're going to lose distance, simple as that.

>

> Do you want to have a "soft feel" or play your best golf? I'm sure balls like AVX provide a middle ground but why give up yards over something like softness. I'm sure pro's love a squishy soft pillow feel too but do you see much (if any?) guys playing in the big leagues with soft compression balls?

>

> Just play TP5/ProV etc and forget the rest.

Much about playing one's best golf is about "feel".

Not surprisingly, the ball test on that other site brought forth a lot of controversy, especially about "soft" balls being "slow".

Mickelson is all about distance and he plays the Chrome Soft - OK, OK, I know. He's a Cally guy so what is he going to say ? It's short ? LOL

Nevertheless, and I admit I have a very average swing speed, I don't think anybody is "giving up distance" with the AVX. I hit it further than both the V1, the V1x, & the Chrome Soft - but maybe that's just me.

And not that I think anybody should notice but I'm obviously a big supporter of the AVX. I moved to it about 10 months or so ago from the Chrome Soft because of the extra 1/2 club off the irons with more or less the same short game control, and the more penetrating flight and lower spin off the driver. And if I want it to fly high off the driver,,,,,,,, I just tee it higher and there it goes. Also, in my experience, is almost impossible to "balloon" into the wind.

So I would just say "Test 'em all",,,,,,,,,,,,,

Titleist Pro V1X

> @nsxguy said:

> > @Z1ggy16 said:

> > > @Tblythe said:

> > > My SS is in the 110-115 range but I love the feeling of a really soft golf ball. I’m always afraid I’m giving up some distance with a ball with compression under 75. I can get a little loose at times too so I don’t need anything that spins too much and will magnify my flaws. Thoughts? 

> >

> > If you play a soft ball at 115mph, you're going to lose distance, simple as that.

> >

> > Do you want to have a "soft feel" or play your best golf? I'm sure balls like AVX provide a middle ground but why give up yards over something like softness. I'm sure pro's love a squishy soft pillow feel too but do you see much (if any?) guys playing in the big leagues with soft compression balls?

> >

> > Just play TP5/ProV etc and forget the rest.

>

> Much about playing one's best golf is about "feel".

>

> Not surprisingly, the ball test on that other site brought forth a lot of controversy, especially about "soft" balls being "slow".

>

> Mickelson is all about distance and he plays the Chrome Soft - OK, OK, I know. He's a Cally guy so what is he going to say ? It's short ? LOL

>

> Nevertheless, and I admit I have a very average swing speed, I don't think anybody is "giving up distance" with the AVX. I hit it further than both the V1, the V1x, & the Chrome Soft - but maybe that's just me.

>

> And not that I think anybody should notice but I'm obviously a big supporter of the AVX. I moved to it about 10 months or so ago from the Chrome Soft because of the extra 1/2 club off the irons with more or less the same short game control, and the more penetrating flight and lower spin off the driver. And if I want it to fly high off the driver,,,,,,,, I just tee it higher and there it goes. Also, in my experience, is almost impossible to "balloon" into the wind.

>

> So I would just say "Test 'em all",,,,,,,,,,,,,

>

I'm not necessarily buying the "soft is slower" meme but I'm pretty sure the "Chrome Soft" variant Phil plays isn't particularly low-compression.

Slow is slow, fast is fast, soft is relative and most of the urethane balls on the market today could easily be played by anyone from a total duffer to the best players in the world. These things I know.

> @nsxguy said:

> > @Z1ggy16 said:

> > > @Tblythe said:

> > > My SS is in the 110-115 range but I love the feeling of a really soft golf ball. I’m always afraid I’m giving up some distance with a ball with compression under 75. I can get a little loose at times too so I don’t need anything that spins too much and will magnify my flaws. Thoughts? 

> >

> > If you play a soft ball at 115mph, you're going to lose distance, simple as that.

> >

> > Do you want to have a "soft feel" or play your best golf? I'm sure balls like AVX provide a middle ground but why give up yards over something like softness. I'm sure pro's love a squishy soft pillow feel too but do you see much (if any?) guys playing in the big leagues with soft compression balls?

> >

> > Just play TP5/ProV etc and forget the rest.

>

> Much about playing one's best golf is about "feel".

>

> Not surprisingly, the ball test on that other site brought forth a lot of controversy, especially about "soft" balls being "slow".

>

> Mickelson is all about distance and he plays the Chrome Soft - OK, OK, I know. He's a Cally guy so what is he going to say ? It's short ? LOL

>

> Nevertheless, and I admit I have a very average swing speed, I don't think anybody is "giving up distance" with the AVX. I hit it further than both the V1, the V1x, & the Chrome Soft - but maybe that's just me.

>

> And not that I think anybody should notice but I'm obviously a big supporter of the AVX. I moved to it about 10 months or so ago from the Chrome Soft because of the extra 1/2 club off the irons with more or less the same short game control, and the more penetrating flight and lower spin off the driver. And if I want it to fly high off the driver,,,,,,,, I just tee it higher and there it goes. Also, in my experience, is almost impossible to "balloon" into the wind.

>

> So I would just say "Test 'em all",,,,,,,,,,,,,

>

Phil never played the CS ball that was sold at retail. Maybe the one he plays now is the same but up until this year, I'm pretty sure it wasn't.

But anyway... I don't get why having a "nicer feeling" ball would make me play better. How does ball softness get my face square at impact? And... going even further, why would softness or lack thereof even affect confidence levels? It's just a nice, squishy soft feeling that makes you giddy. Sure, it's fun... but wouldn't you have more fun shooting a few strokes less on average?? Idk maybe that's just me. If AVX works for somebody and they play well, then hey whatever, you play what fits your game and what you like.

> @"North Butte" said:

> > @nsxguy said:

> > > @Z1ggy16 said:

> > > > @Tblythe said:

> > > > My SS is in the 110-115 range but I love the feeling of a really soft golf ball. I’m always afraid I’m giving up some distance with a ball with compression under 75. I can get a little loose at times too so I don’t need anything that spins too much and will magnify my flaws. Thoughts? 

> > >

> > > If you play a soft ball at 115mph, you're going to lose distance, simple as that.

> > >

> > > Do you want to have a "soft feel" or play your best golf? I'm sure balls like AVX provide a middle ground but why give up yards over something like softness. I'm sure pro's love a squishy soft pillow feel too but do you see much (if any?) guys playing in the big leagues with soft compression balls?

> > >

> > > Just play TP5/ProV etc and forget the rest.

> >

> > Much about playing one's best golf is about "feel".

> >

> > Not surprisingly, the ball test on that other site brought forth a lot of controversy, especially about "soft" balls being "slow".

> >

> > Mickelson is all about distance and he plays the Chrome Soft - OK, OK, I know. He's a Cally guy so what is he going to say ? It's short ? LOL

> >

> > Nevertheless, and I admit I have a very average swing speed, I don't think anybody is "giving up distance" with the AVX. I hit it further than both the V1, the V1x, & the Chrome Soft - but maybe that's just me.

> >

> > And not that I think anybody should notice but I'm obviously a big supporter of the AVX. I moved to it about 10 months or so ago from the Chrome Soft because of the extra 1/2 club off the irons with more or less the same short game control, and the more penetrating flight and lower spin off the driver. And if I want it to fly high off the driver,,,,,,,, I just tee it higher and there it goes. Also, in my experience, is almost impossible to "balloon" into the wind.

> >

> > So I would just say "Test 'em all",,,,,,,,,,,,,

> >

>

> I'm not necessarily buying the "soft is slower" meme but I'm pretty sure the "Chrome Soft" variant Phil plays isn't particularly low-compression.

>

> Slow is slow, fast is fast, soft is relative and most of the urethane balls on the market today could easily be played by anyone from a total duffer to the best players in the world. These things I know.

You're probably correct. I do recall seeing multiple variants on the approved ball list but I'm too lazy to go looking for it again - besides, I don't believe compression is listed.

Titleist Pro V1X

> @Z1ggy16 said:

> > @nsxguy said:

> > > @Z1ggy16 said:

> > > > @Tblythe said:

> > > > My SS is in the 110-115 range but I love the feeling of a really soft golf ball. I’m always afraid I’m giving up some distance with a ball with compression under 75. I can get a little loose at times too so I don’t need anything that spins too much and will magnify my flaws. Thoughts? 

> > >

> > > If you play a soft ball at 115mph, you're going to lose distance, simple as that.

> > >

> > > Do you want to have a "soft feel" or play your best golf? I'm sure balls like AVX provide a middle ground but why give up yards over something like softness. I'm sure pro's love a squishy soft pillow feel too but do you see much (if any?) guys playing in the big leagues with soft compression balls?

> > >

> > > Just play TP5/ProV etc and forget the rest.

> >

> > Much about playing one's best golf is about "feel".

> >

> > Not surprisingly, the ball test on that other site brought forth a lot of controversy, especially about "soft" balls being "slow".

> >

> > Mickelson is all about distance and he plays the Chrome Soft - OK, OK, I know. He's a Cally guy so what is he going to say ? It's short ? LOL

> >

> > Nevertheless, and I admit I have a very average swing speed, I don't think anybody is "giving up distance" with the AVX. I hit it further than both the V1, the V1x, & the Chrome Soft - but maybe that's just me.

> >

> > And not that I think anybody should notice but I'm obviously a big supporter of the AVX. I moved to it about 10 months or so ago from the Chrome Soft because of the extra 1/2 club off the irons with more or less the same short game control, and the more penetrating flight and lower spin off the driver. And if I want it to fly high off the driver,,,,,,,, I just tee it higher and there it goes. Also, in my experience, is almost impossible to "balloon" into the wind.

> >

> > So I would just say "Test 'em all",,,,,,,,,,,,,

> >

>

> Phil never played the CS ball that was sold at retail. Maybe the one he plays now is the same but up until this year, I'm pretty sure it wasn't.

>

> But anyway... I don't get why having a "nicer feeling" ball would make me play better. How does ball softness get my face square at impact? And... going even further, why would softness or lack thereof even affect confidence levels? It's just a nice, squishy soft feeling that makes you giddy. Sure, it's fun... but wouldn't you have more fun shooting a few strokes less on average?? Idk maybe that's just me. If AVX works for somebody and they play well, then hey whatever, you play what fits your game and what you like.

Zigster, most sports require not only "smarts" but very quick reflex/reaction times. Golf is different. It is played, some would say, mostly in that space between your ears.

Ball "feels" too hard ? Shaft feels too soft ? Alignment aid on the top of a club looks ridiculous ? Ever try to play with your buddy's clubs ?

And everything comes into play in those 6 inches. LOL

Titleist Pro V1X