Evnroll Not the #1 Most Wanted Blade Putter??!??!!

willseo

Is it me or is anyone else not surprised that an Evnroll isn't even in the top 3 of Not allowed because of spam's most wanted list in 2019? They kept harping on the fact that their groove tech was for real and that not all putter face tech was the same. Some of their results are making me think that by pooling and averaging all that data, you start to get to a point where the differences in performance are razor thin and there isn't much in it between a #1 or a #10 performer. 

Ping G430 Max 10K Tour 2.0 Black 6X

Titleist TS2 16.5 Diamana S+ 80TX

Titleist 818H1 19, 23 Atmos TS Blue 8X

Srixon ZX7 MKII 5-SW Modus3 120S

Taylormade MyHiToe LW Hi-Rev 2.0 115

Odyssey Tri Hot 5K Triple Wide 

Did well on 10-foot and 15-foot putts, but they struggled on 5-footers for whatever reason.  I do see that the measured loft on those putters was at 1.7 (spec sheet says they are supposed to be 2 degrees).  That is a pretty low loft for a putter, particularly for higher handicap golfers.  Perhaps if the loft was at spec, they do better.

RH

Putting is the most personal part of the game.

I do not trust the tests by the others.

I have owned evnroll out of curiosity.

It is just a another putter to me. Their argument with the groove is also hard to believe. 

I saw three different evnroll putters and they were not consistent enough to me.

Titleist                   TSR3 Driver w/GD Tour AD VF 5S
Ping                       G430 3 Wood w/GD Tour AD UB 6S

Ping                       G430 3 Hybrid w/GD Tour AD IZ 85S

Titleist                   T200 4/T150 5-P Irons w/Axiom 105S

Titleist                   48F w/Axiom 105S 54S/60K Wedges w/DG s400

LAB                   Mezz 1 Max Broomstick w/Accra

kiw1982 said:
Putting is the most personal part of the game.

I do not trust the tests by the others.

I have owned evnroll out of curiosity.

It is just a another putter to me. Their argument with the groove is also hard to believe. 

I saw three different evnroll putters and they were not consistent enough to me.

The arguments about the grooves with regards to ball speed and distance are not hard to believe for me.  This has been confirmed on several different, independent studies using the Quintic Ball Roll.  And it makes sense.  

The 'gearing' of the ball's roll is a little more difficult to believe for me.  But again, independent studies using Quintic Ball roll lend credence to that claim.

I will say that one of the putters they tested was the TS1.  That's the one with all that offset.  That may have been too radical of a putter to try.  And another thing...when I bought the ER1.2, the grip was not installed correctly.  It was open considerably.  By my measurements, it was ~1.4 degrees open using a Husky Digital Bubble level.  The ER2.2 was measured at 1.8* loft instead of the spec'd 2.0* loft.  

So, I could see some possible Quality Control issues.  And I would think that on 5-foot putts...somethign like the grip being off would have the most impact

RH

Yeah, it’s hard to take their info as real when they brag about groove technology for 2 years. Evnroll is the best and beats everyone else in every category. Then the #2 is Ping with their grooves. So what happens?? Taylormade and their crappy aluminum insert wins?! Smells funny.. ?

Yeah I remember for a long time how Not allowed because of spam would tout that "not all face tech is equal". How the Evnroll groove tech was different to all the other face tech out there. And now a Taylormade putter that hasn't changed for several years wins out as best performing. Why did it not perform as well in previous years then?

larciel said:
They missed the deposit this time.

J/k

Hilarious. But I have noticed that I haven't been seeing Evnroll adds on their page for a while now. 

Did well on 10-foot and 15-foot putts, but they struggled on 5-footers for whatever reason.  I do see that the measured loft on those putters was at 1.7 (spec sheet says they are supposed to be 2 degrees).  That is a pretty low loft for a putter, particularly for higher handicap golfers.  Perhaps if the loft was at spec, they do better.

RH

I guess that was somewhat the conclusion I was getting at. The differences in performance being measured is so small that any little variable (such as loft being off slightly) could possibly throw off the results. 

I’ve never been a fan of the MGS tests. It seems like they have such a large griup of testers that it ends up normalizing the results. Look at the driver test. Callaway won but by margins that really don’t matter in real life. So maybe the story they are telling is it doesn’t matter much anymore because everyone makes really good clubs now (which is what a lot of us have figured in our own testing). For putters, you’d think the same putters that were in the testing last year would end up with the same results but this year evnroll isn’t the top club. Plus the way they run their social media seems like they are looking for clicks or trying to stir s*** up. 

Titleist TR2 - Graphite design DI

Titleist Tsi2 - 15*

Callaway Apex 20*

Srixon ZX 7 4-PW

Cleveland Zipcore 54* & 58*

Odyssey #7 CH

I agree with sbjinx about them trying to stir s*** up. They're responding to their instagram readers saying that we don't understand putter testing and therefore have no voice in the matter. BTW, I'm an engineer and work with test data all day so I know how statistics work.

• Like 1

One of the things I wish they would do is continue to keep the previous year's winner or maybe top 3 in the tests going forward. Instead, they will use a completely different putter. For instance, they used the ER2 a few years back and it won, then they used the ER3 the following year. I'd like to see if that older putter still wins against the newer ones.

On another note, I have the original Juno (silver version) so apparently I have the #1 putter unless they changed anything but the color with the copper version :smiley:

Callaway Paradym 9*
TaylorMade SiM Max Rocket 14*

Srixon ZX 2 hybrid 16* and 4 hybrid 22*
Srixon ZX7 MKII 5-PW
Cleveland RTX ZipCore6 50, 54, 58
Evnroll EV5.1 with Stability Tour Black
Titleist ProV1X
Bushnell Pro XE Rangefinder | Garmin Approach S70 Watch

Okay so I checked the last few years of Most Wanted Blade Putter results and it looks like the TM Juno was the #2 performer in 2017 and 2018. So I guess that putter has been somewhat consistent in being highly ranked.

• 4 weeks later...

It is odd that Evnroll fell off the list completely this year. I used to think these guys could be relatively well trusted in the info they give out but when they came out with their online fitting tool for drivers they lost a ton of credibility in my eyes. Having said that I'm still interested by Evnroll, the tech does seem to stack up in my mind for distance control at least.

Evnroll only submitted new putter models this year and other putters are getting better. If they had submitted their old winnners (ER2, ER3, ER8), maybe we'd see different results.

Ping G425 Max 10.5* - Ping Tour 65s - 43.75 in.
Ping G425 Max 17.5* 5 wood - Ping Tour 75s - 41.50 in.

Ping G425 19* 3H - Ping Tour 85s - 39.5 in.
Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Combo - 4-PW - DG X100
Cleveland RTX 50*
Cleveland RTX-3 54*
Cleveland RTX-3 58*
Cleveland HB Soft 10.5 Putter

They average out and dilute their test results so horribly, no meaningful conclusions can, nor should be drawn from their tests.

How in the bloody hell is giving the same shaft and driver to 10 different guys, with 10 different skill levels ranging from 90-120mph club speed and +3 to 20hc going to provide anything truly meaningful? The ONLY one I could see being somewhat useful is if/when they post CG/MOI data (because it's just factual) and 'best driver for X swing speed' results.

Regarding this specific test, one thing I did like, but is also a negative of their test somewhat, is they post the lies, lofts, SW and length of each putter as tested. I think this is great to show you how different stock putters are... Very good info to show. However, since everything is so different, it makes the conclusions pretty much useless because the same players are putting with multiple variables changing, yet probably trying to make the same putting stroke. Personally, I am a bit shorter (5'9'' or so) but like a 35'' putter because I stand very upright, very similar to a Rickie Fowler stance. As far as I can see, only one putter is 35'' and the rest are shorter, with a bunch being under 34''. This would literally wreck my stroke and stance and I would stand little chance at holing putts like I could with a normal 35'' set up, especially from further away. This can't be taken into account during post processing because "what could have been" is impossible to know. I could be a tester using a 33.5'' putter that is horrible for me in stock form due to my stance and stroke, but if you gave me a 35'' putter with the right lie and SW, and it could be my dream putter. Doing a massive test on simple stock configs is pretty useless since most competitive/avid/serious golfers should go get their putters fit.

It's stuff like this that makes me brush any of their testing off. It's too generic to be more than just entertainment and mildly informational. Plus, the fact who ever runs their social media looks to be pretty immature and engages in actual pissing matches with random people online, doesn't make me take them too seriously.

• Like 1

> @Z1ggy16 said:

> They average out and dilute their test results so horribly, no meaningful conclusions can, nor should be drawn from their tests.

>

> How in the bloody **** is giving the same shaft and driver to 10 different guys, with 10 different skill levels ranging from 90-120mph club speed and +3 to 20hc going to provide anything truly meaningful? **The ONLY one I could see being somewhat useful** is if/when they post CG/MOI data (because it's just factual) **and 'best driver for X swing speed' results**.

Same head & shaft for different skill levels is meaningless but best driver for X swing speed is meaningful ? LMAO

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

It's better than saying, hey here's the best driver averaged out between a difference of 35mph club speed and 20 index points, with probably half the testers using a horribly fit set up. At least there's less change between the inputs so it's SOMEWHAT USEFUL, if you wanna quote me.

Are you disagreeing, trolling me, or....? I was attempting to provide a thoughtful opinion, don't really care if I'm right or wrong.

...Oh gosh don't tell me you're an MG$ fanboi. If you are, I'll save myself the hassle and quietly exit.

I also wonder about timing in the process. For instance, if I'm standing there for an hour putting with different putters, I'm probably going to be a little tired and not hitting my best putts near the end of that hour. How do they account for that?

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym 9*
TaylorMade SiM Max Rocket 14*

Srixon ZX 2 hybrid 16* and 4 hybrid 22*
Srixon ZX7 MKII 5-PW
Cleveland RTX ZipCore6 50, 54, 58
Evnroll EV5.1 with Stability Tour Black
Titleist ProV1X
Bushnell Pro XE Rangefinder | Garmin Approach S70 Watch

> @Z1ggy16 said:

> It's better than saying, hey here's the best driver averaged out between a different of 35mph club speed and 20 index points. At least there's less change between the inputs so it's SOMEWHAT USEFUL, if you wanna quote me.

>

> Are you disagreeing, trolling me, or....? I was attempting to provide a thoughtful opinion, don't really care if I'm right or wrong.

>

> Oh gosh don't tell me you're an MG$ fanboi. If you are, I'll save myself the hassle and quietly exit.

>

>

>

>

Glad to hear you don't care if it's right or wrong. And I'm simply disagreeing with your "thoughtful opinion".

It MAY be "better". YMMV. But since it's not a useful measuring stick, CAN it be "better" ?

But YOU quietly exiting on anything golf equipment related ? I'll take that bet. The Earth starting to rotate in the opposite direction seems more likely. LOL

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

> @willseo said:

> I agree with sbjinx about them trying to stir **** up. They're responding to their instagram readers saying that we don't understand putter testing and therefore have no voice in the matter. BTW, I'm an engineer and work with test data all day so I know how statistics work.

They are very good at that tactic.

Uh ok.

I'm curious though, what makes their testing valid then? What does averaging out 20 different golfers data and crowning a club "best" signify for you? Are you running out and buying the #1 putter/driver/X Club every year because they say so?

You saying you just "disagree" is fine , everybody has their own thoughts and rationale, which is cool by me. If they didn't the world would kind of suck and be rather dull. But blanket LMAO'ing me because you don't like what I say doesn't really provide much substance to your stance other than you come off as a typical internet crybaby.

What they do is fun, cool and certainly interesting. But it's a far cry from anything scientific or statistically useful TO ME. You think otherwise, and that's okay.

• Like 1

I have two Evnroll blade putters and when I originally got them, they were exactly what I needed to improve my putting. As time went on, things started to go south and I looked at other putters. I purchased a Scotty Cameron and during the winter and practiced with both and came to the conclusion that the SC was more reliable. I stuck with the SC for about a year and most recently switched to a Stroke Lab One. Once again, after months of comparisons, I found that the SLO was a little better than the SC so I switched to it. From time to time, I will pull out the Evnroll and do some comparison putts just to see if perhaps it might find its way back into the bag, and each time, I find that the SC or SLO gives me better results - more 1 putts and closer to the hole each time.

There's not a huge amount of subjective testing done on the Evnroll that I can find. I did find one video where a guy used Quintic (is that spelled right?) to test an ER1 and it does back up the claims that Evnroll make, they noted consistent distance and some straightening or gearing of the ball on off-centred hits. It did also find though that the centre of mass of the putter was not in the centre of the face and more towards the heel which is a little concerning.