Confessions 12 --- Exploding Heads

Conrad1953

I started really thinking of what I want out of my irons as it has definitely been the weakest part of my game. So, I gave the build idea one last go, and then realized although I have built a lot of clubs I never really built a set of irons to spec for myself. I very well may still go get fit by Jari and have a set built, but I searched through all my junk and although I couldn't frequency match the set, which is what I really want one day, I figured I could go ahead and build something up and all I was out is some epoxy.

So, I'm experimenting with a set that is 57, 52, 47 in the wedges, and those are all a half inch longer than a standard PW. The 9 iron then goes to 43 and a half inch over standard up through the 6 iron. I put those Nippon Super Peening Orange shafts I originally pulled from the Miuras back into them, but now they are appropriately matched to the club and cut down to the proper length. The whole set should swing weight at D5 when I get the grips on them. I set them up last night and checked the cure on the epoxy sample and it looks pretty good. It was cool down in the basement over night so they're coming up stairs until this evening and then getting gripped and bent to spec. I've been playing about 2 flat and liking it pretty well.

• Like 1

I'm curious to know who Jari is because the name is a Finnish one, although there are a bunch of Dutch Jaris in their 20s now thanks to one football player. I shouldn't have been curious to google what gout is though. Some images I wouldn't have needed to see. :D Keep that thing away from yourselves if you can!

There's still a month to go until our season is supposed to start but with all the skiing, I haven't felt desperate to get out there to play golf yet. I did get fed up with skiing the other week but that lasted maybe three days. Now it seems as though that season is coming to an end quite soon and I'm sure the cabin fever will hit me before the courses open. I did hold a rules "seminar" at our club yesterday with about 60 members in the audience. It was a slightly odd feeling to teach the new rules, with which you haven't played a single round yourself.

I have also found another club I "need", Mizuno has brought out new JPX Fli-Hi hybrids. They are the true long iron replacements, you can get all the iron shafts on them. The 19º model with a KBS Tour shaft (or possibly a Modus) might replace my H5 3 iron. Time will tell.

Take care!

• Like 1

Swing DNA: 91/4/3/6/6
Woods: ST 180 or MP-650 - Irons: MP-H5 / MP-53 / MP-4, KBS Tour S - 50º: MP-T5 / 55º: FG Tour PMP  / 60º: RTX ZipCore - Mizuno Bettinardi BC-4

I checked his site, I'm quite sure he used to participate on a Finnish golf forum years ago, might still do so but I rarely visit it due to its internal bickering etc. (I don't recall him being involved in that)

• Like 1

Woods: ST 180 or MP-650 - Irons: MP-H5 / MP-53 / MP-4, KBS Tour S - 50º: MP-T5 / 55º: FG Tour PMP  / 60º: RTX ZipCore - Mizuno Bettinardi BC-4

> @DeNinny said:

> MJ yeah you saw me at Bandon Trails at the recovering end of a gout attack. It royally sucks. The pain messes with your head it's so bad. It makes you crazy like thinking you would rather have your foot cut off to ease the pain rather than have the attack. If it is coming on for you, I suggest staying off red meat and alcohol completely if you don't take medication (allopurinol). Without medication, I am now on a mainly chicken and fish meat diet and I don't get attacks. The only time I get an attack now is if I binge on steak and pork for a few days.

>

>

>

> And yeah just text me when you are coming up and we will play. McMennimans Edgefield par 3 course is awesome for couples to play but also keep other normal courses in mind. Definitely no Top Golf please. Not interested in that at all.

>

>

>

> And yeah Jari will hook you up and get your Miuras dialed in however you want. He knows that golf nerds like us want our clubs to be built to exacting standards and such. I plan on playing both my baby blade sets built by him until they are a worn down mess.

Gout can be some nasty crap---- Red meat does not bring it on for me though--- Believe it or not eating local shrimp does it for me for some reason. And trust me I love shrimp especially the local caught--- For some reason domestic ( farm raised) or imported shrimp does not affect me. But in the last 3 years since I have been on BP meds which includes a fluid pill I have not had any bouts. But of course I drink plenty of water have to since I pee quite a lot with the water pill--- Goes to show everyone's chemistry ( which you know the last part) is different. Good luck hope you get cleared up soon

• Like 1

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

Must say the forum changes were a deterrent for logging-in for me. I guess it's a good thing that they're finally taking care of it, although it seems they made their own bed.

We did my big 36 hole walking marathon last weekend. I made the mistake of carrying both rounds. I've just had my carry bag loaded up and haven't wanted to bother with switching to my cart bag. For some reason I never like to put my carry bag in the push cart. Probably a subconscious dislike for the waterproof fabric rubbing in the same spots over and over again. I've realized that 36 holes walking is really my limit. I really lose my ability to play by about the 29th or 30th hole. I started the second 18 at -2 through the first 3 and was really having delusions of grandeur but COULD NOT hold it together. The bogies kept mounting up and then I went double double on 35 and 36 for my first double of the round. Oops!

Got two more walking rounds in this week and then I'll play Sunday (tomorrow) morning. A friend I play with quite a bit made a comment and I didn't realize that I had not been in a cart since the new year. He had the rounds totaled up although I don't keep track, I'm guessing it's around 25-30. Did some research the other day and there was a study done that was saying if you look at a carry round of 9 holes, push cart 9 holes, have a caddie, ride in a cart nine holes, your caloric burn total would be 721, 718, 621, 411. So, the push cart is clearly the sweet spot.

Here's the article...

https://onpar.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/08/01/a-little-scientific-research-for-all-those-19th-hole-debates/

• Like 1

> @"Matt J" said:

> Must say the forum changes were a deterrent for logging-in for me. I guess it's a good thing that they're finally taking care of it, although it seems they made their own bed.

>

> We did my big 36 hole walking marathon last weekend. I made the mistake of carrying both rounds. I've just had my carry bag loaded up and haven't wanted to bother with switching to my cart bag. For some reason I never like to put my carry bag in the push cart. Probably a subconscious dislike for the waterproof fabric rubbing in the same spots over and over again. I've realized that 36 holes walking is really my limit. I really lose my ability to play by about the 29th or 30th hole. I started the second 18 at -2 through the first 3 and was really having delusions of grandeur but COULD NOT hold it together. The bogies kept mounting up and then I went double double on 35 and 36 for my first double of the round. Oops!

>

> Got two more walking rounds in this week and then I'll play Sunday (tomorrow) morning. A friend I play with quite a bit made a comment and I didn't realize that I had not been in a cart since the new year. He had the rounds totaled up although I don't keep track, I'm guessing it's around 25-30. Did some research the other day and there was a study done that was saying if you look at a carry round of 9 holes, push cart 9 holes, have a caddie, ride in a cart nine holes, your caloric burn total would be 721, 718, 621, 411. So, the push cart is clearly the sweet spot.

>

> Here's the article...

>

> https://onpar.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/08/01/a-little-scientific-research-for-all-those-19th-hole-debates/

How long did it take you to play the 36 holes? I walk 36 in a day maybe ten times a season and the time it takes makes a huge difference. If I get out in the autumn and play alone, it might be a breeze at 5-6 hours. But in the club championships (36+36 holes with cut after day 1), the 36 holes are exhausting as it can easily take 10 hours to play. Despite the fact that when I'm out there alone (or play two casual rounds with other people), I usually have just small snacks like, bananas, raisins, some muesli/fruit bar and in the CC you sit down and eat a proper lunch in between the rounds.

I usually play my best golf on the front 9 of the second round. I'm "dialed in" and the fatigue isn't setting in yet. Of course, I don't play at quite the same level as you do, so the more slight issues caused by getting tired are lost in all the usual problems with my game even in the last few holes of the day.

You are correct about the wear on a carry bag bouncing around on a cart though. There's no point in destroying your WP bag that way. If you start walking more, get yourself a cart bag, unless you really want to carry.

• Like 1

I'm about to add a 1i to my bag. Sleeping on it tonight.

• Like 1

TEE CB2 13* 3w, 43.5", 57g Fujikura Motore F1 X-flex
TEE CB2 15* 3w, 43" 65g Fujikura Motore F1 S-flex
Miura Black Boron 1957 Small Blades 2i-PW, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
Miura Black Wedges 53* and 60*, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
GripMaster Club Maker's Stitchback Grips
34" Piretti Bosa, GripMaster Pistol Grip

Registered Bladeocrat
Outlaw Golf Association Member #7

> @"Matt J" said:

> Hey @Halebopp

>

> I've got a cart bag, just hate to give up on the fast carry rounds of winter.

>

> The first round was about 2:45 and we felt great. The second was 5:15 and I 100% agree, it's the standing and waiting that gets you. I kept looking everywhere for benches, there aren't enough.

LOL, wait 'till you start looking for a Portolet while standing around. Seems like there are never enough of those.

• Like 1

DRIVER: Ping G20, 9.5° w/169D-Tour, reg (Back up: Srixon Z-rw, 9.5°, stf)
3+W: Srixon Z-Steel, 12.5°, stock SV3005J, stf. (In rotation: 3W, 14.5°)
5W: Srixon Z-Steel, 18.5° stock SV3005J, stf
IRONS: Ping i20, 3-PW, stock CFS reg @ D2
PUTTER: Ping Craz-E iWi, w/2x20gr weights, Lamkin Jumbo pistol grip
WEDGES: Ping Glide, 54° SS, 60° TS, stock Ping wedge shafts
BALL: Srixon XV 
CART: SunMountain V1, STEWARTGOLF Z1
BAG: SM H2N0, PING C-130
BACK UP: Ping S58, 3-Pw, stock CS-Lite, stf, @ D2. (Lofts jacked to S55 specs.)

LOL mdgboxx at some courses you can't swing a dead cat without hitting an old man pi**ing on a tree. Good to see a post from you!

In other news, I pulled the trigger and just bought my 1i baby blade head. Can't wait to shaft it up and try it. It's gonna replace my 3w but not sure if I'll get the same distance (205-220 yds). One can hope...

• Like 1

Registered Bladeocrat

• 2 weeks later...

A playing partner has been shopping driving irons, I guess I could make room for one, but I like hitting 3W and 2H off of little tees. Miuras have been in the bag with the Nippons plus half build. I really like them but my scores are up a ton. Mostly a wedge problem I think. Bent my 60 wide open to 64 and it's too much bounce.

• Like 2

Splurged yesterday and bought a used demo cart Rogue with draw bias and a low bounce Mizzy 60. Took them straight out to my old money game at the club I quit to play as a visitor because our greens just got punched. Worked out okay. With my rising handicap and some decent scrambling I made out fine. Need some more practice with that head, but I'm optimistic. I like a closed face at address.

• Like 2

> @"Matt J" said:

> Splurged yesterday and bought a used demo cart Rogue with draw bias and a low bounce Mizzy 60. Took them straight out to my old money game at the club I quit to play as a visitor because our greens just got punched. Worked out okay. With my rising handicap and some decent scrambling I made out fine. Need some more practice with that head, but I'm optimistic. I like a closed face at address.

Low bounce...F...T...W! LOL always!!!

In other news, project 1i is underway. Waiting on Jari (yes he is Finnish...caddied for Blomqvist) to order parts. Can't wait.

• Like 1

Registered Bladeocrat

I'm starting to feel a bit giddy. We're teeing off for the first round of the season in 11.5 hours. That's a couple of hours short of 156 days of my previous tee time. I did have an interesting range session on Tuesday (the second time outdoors) starting to get rid of the tendency to hit the ball rather than swing the club. What slightly worried me though was the feeling I was starting to swing for the fences but it's encouraging to be able to do that at the very start of the season. Not all is forgotten, some of it might've even improved.

• Like 1

A quick confession. I simply struggled to hit the EZ irons with the XP105s well today. Just no feel of where the club head was leading to some massive tops etc. So, after the round we checked the used clubs in the pro shop and there was a 5-PW set of FG Tour V2s with KBS Tours, made the switch and got 50€ in shop credit. It'll be interesting to see how those work out.

• Like 1

I have had a little experiment going, too... Mr. Halebopp.

I bought a Callaway Draw driver with a 75 gram X flex Rogue shaft. My theory on the Draw head is that I hit too high of a ball as I hit up on it a lot. So, with the Draw head I can turn the loft down and the face is not too open. I cut the shaft down an inch or so this morning before going to the range and was really hitting it well. I threw in the bag for a little match and was pretty happy. I hit a lot of fairways and when I missed it wasn't by much. We'll see how long the love affair lasts. I won the match and had a chip-in birdie shooting +6 so it would be hard to leave behind now.

• Like 1

> @"Matt J" said:

> I have had a little experiment going, too... Mr. Halebopp.

>

> I bought a Callaway Draw driver with a 75 gram X flex Rogue shaft. My theory on the Draw head is that I hit too high of a ball as I hit up on it a lot. So, with the Draw head I can turn the loft down and the face is not too open. I cut the shaft down an inch or so this morning before going to the range and was really hitting it well. I threw in the bag for a little match and was pretty happy. I hit a lot of fairways and when I missed it wasn't by much. We'll see how long the love affair lasts. I won the match and had a chip-in birdie shooting +6 so it would be hard to leave behind now.

Hey you never know until you experiment---- I am the King of experimental clubs and modifications but it is part of my fun now. A lot of my friends say I may play better if I quit experimenting so much and stick to one set up. Personally I like your reasoning on the driver and the theory for your swing and game. By what you posted I think you have hit the nail on the head. Let us know how it pans out in the long run

• Like 2

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

> @"Matt J" said:

> I have had a little experiment going, too... Mr. Halebopp.

>

> I bought a Callaway Draw driver with a 75 gram X flex Rogue shaft. My theory on the Draw head is that I hit too high of a ball as I hit up on it a lot. So, with the Draw head I can turn the loft down and the face is not too open. I cut the shaft down an inch or so this morning before going to the range and was really hitting it well. I threw in the bag for a little match and was pretty happy. I hit a lot of fairways and when I missed it wasn't by much. We'll see how long the love affair lasts. I won the match and had a chip-in birdie shooting +6 so it would be hard to leave behind now.

I'm a firm believer in that the stock shafts in woods and hybrids are too long. The possible 1-2 MPH drop in clubhead speed doesn't affect ball speeds nearly as much as the increase in smash factor. A 95 swing with 1.37 smash is the same as 93 swing with 1.4 smash. Plus I seriously doubt the average player would lose 2 MPH going from 45.5 to 44 inches, I might be wrong though. Never mind the straighter shots thanks to better contact. I probably mentioned it last autumn how my friend cut an inch off his hybrid and added some weight to the sole. It was the easiest, most consistent hybrid I've ever tried.

• Like 1

Hi people, happy Easter. Golf is hard. Life is short. I choose to enjoy both regardless how successful I am at either one.

Jari is a legit, badass dude. Worth the trip to his shop from anywhere within a day's drive or flight, in my humble no my opinion.

Be well.

• Like 2
Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
Callaway Jaws Raw 54.10S / 58.8Z
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

Outlaw Golf Association #21

Happy Easter Dan! Your endorsement of Jari is encouraging. I know the Ninja likes him too, for all of his weapon needs ;)

I was planning on coming up there the first week of June, but we found a great deal, 3 rounds at Crosswater with unlimited golf at the other courses, for 3 days with 2 nights lodging for $100 / a day, so we're just going to go to Sunriver. Can't believe they're basically throwing the golf in if you rent the room.

Big Stu, I appreciate the words of encouragement. We went out in nasty weather to play a weird format scramble on Saturday, actually did all right despite my poor performance. I'm actually just wiping that day from my mind, took yesterday and today off of even practice, and will practice tomorrow and play Wednesday. Should be interesting to see where I'm at as our greens are healing up.

• Like 1

How can you miss a 140-yard par 3 by 85 yards? :D

It was around 150 yards to a back pin with wind blowing from right to left and I pulled my 8 iron slightly. The ball was happy to sail even more left with the wind and take a healthy bounce off the teeing ground for the next hole for a nice total of about 185 yards and 85 yards to the middle of the green.

I did manage the whole round with a single ball though and the move to the V2s was a good one. Now if I only had any control over my wedges. The 65-yard shot goes 45 and the 30 goes 55. :)

• Like 1

Made the mistake of taking the Graphite Designs Tour AD IZ shaft out of the fitting cart and putting it into that Rogue Draw head. I've always felt that a couple hundred bucks should be plenty sufficient to secure a 65 gram piece of carbon fiber to stick into a driver, so I've never even hit a $500 retail shaft. I kind of wish I had kept it that way. This thing is absolutely butter. The dispersion is so tight that every single swing I picked up a bit more speed and distance. I jumped out on the golf course with a couple of strangers after hitting it on the range a little. Pulled my first two drives with my Rogue shaft, then shoved the next one into some thick rough. Hit a good one on 5, then fanned another one on 7, and on the 8 tee box put the Tour AD into the head. Proceeded to pipe the next 8 drives. The misses are so good I think I might be able to leave it playing at 45 inches without a problem. Played 27 holes between Thursday and Friday and am playing 36 over the weekend. Haven't had a group that wanted to move back to the summer tee boxes yet, but have just felt like I was cruising around, no doubles, picking up a birdie every once in awhile. Playing steady at a couple over per 9. Time to turn it up a notch and get that 72 or better yet 71 or 70.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

> @"Matt J" said:

> We're dead in the water. There's another confessions thread....

I choose to ignore it. If only out of respect for DeNinny. I'm not bitter, just not interested in what it has to say. The decent ones (Ex-Confessioners) come back Here every once in a while.

Last year's plans went down the tubes. This year, with the help of Social Services, someone will come to spend time with my Precious while I'm at the range...At the very least.

• Like 1

> @"Matt J" said:

> I feel very discouraged about my game, I think I've finally changed so many elements that I don't know what is going on.

>

> I think it's time for a lesson.

Many years ago, when starting as a HVAC tech, a supervisor said: "There're multiple ways to do a job, but ONE right one, choose IT"

So, you got lost in your travel while convincing yourself that there has to be an easier way? No biggie.

Two years before I had to stop playing, I spent $1000 for a 15 lessons pkg, with a Pro I had been spying on for weeks, for short game lessons only. At a rate of at least two lessons per week, (my objective was 3 per/w) and no putting. Strictly 125 yds and in, incl hazards and lies.

Why so many? Supervised practice while learning. I had to get rid of bad habits and root in new ones. Final outcome? I became lethal around the greens within 6 weeks.

I made that decision when a good friend (Clerk at my local Golftown) suggested a fancy $600 shaft coupled with a $350 the latest, show it to the ball and it flies off on it's own, Hi-End kind of head. My golf lessons turned out to be a far better investment...Just saying.

• Like 1

so last September I tweaked my back a bit doing some random thing stupidly--insert whatever here I have many hobbies that are probably bad for me--and had to tap out of a round with DeNinja & Co. while gimping home for some rehab and surgical tune up. Couple things I learned were back in 99-03 when my last back surgeries were done I had a pretty high tech for the time thing done to me, so the 2018/2019 technology isn't really that much different than what I got back then. Or what Tiger got for that matter. Thank you to a not-to-be-named very good doctor in Florida I'm indebted to you always good sir.

Anyways, hit some balls lately here and there but did not play a 'round' until last week of april. played a 9 hole round in Pasco @ Sun Willows.

https://www.playsunwillows.com/

Not a hard course, but not an easy one either. Stunk up the joint, hit maybe three shots flush entire (half) round. Putted terribly, was all-in-all a miserable experience. Plus it made my back hurt.

Fast forward 2 weeks. over in spokane for work. Played 9 holes at Indian Canyon.

https://my.spokanecity.org/golf/indian-canyon/

A ball eater, a malicious beast of a tree covered canyon (ironic) infested dubious monster of an uncaring shrew disguised as a casual public golf experience. Not only that, it's tore up for construction, irrigation system replacement, so is running on temp greens and a weird layout. Great, not only she;s a shrew she's a mad disheveled shrew, too. FML......Planned for the worst, took 24 balls and shot a 39 on the "front" and didn't lose a ball. WTF? Putted lights out (thanks Jari for tuning the PING Anser 2) and was hitting the ball better than I have in quite a while. Made a few dumb decisions off the tee where the bogeys came from.

Last week, back in pasco. why am I always in pasco? Played the front 9 @ Sun Willows again. OB 3 times, water once, couldn't hit a fairway if my life depended on it. shot a 49. Ugh. But WTF I've broke 50 for 9 holes 2x in a row with a swing that is different than last year which is different than the year before that, after back surgery #3 and I'm still a lard arse. This is weird.

So next day I played the back 9 @ Sun Willows in a howling cross wind. Never played the back there. Snuck on thanks to Brianna in the pro shop. <3

Shot a 41. Made a couple bad decisions off the tee (again) and mis-clubbed a few times. 140 yard downwind downhill, dyslexia took over and flushed a 7 iron about 168 yards over the green and into a pond full of now pissed off ducks. I duffed three pitches coming back up the hill after my drop......anyways I'll definitely take a 41 after that exploding diarrhea hole.

I'm using 'game improvement' irons that I molested in a thread documenting such a few years ago. Can't hit my 3w off the deck to save my life but it's a bomber off the tee. Still rocking the same whacky weight setup on the M1 440 that I have in my WITB thread here from a couple yrs ago and really need to change the grips on my wedges.

Until then I'm content with swinging slower and smoother and enjoying golf again. Hopefully i'll continue to slowly get better and keep losing some lard to make sure my back lasts another half century or so.

Cheerios, with honey and nuts.

dan360

• Like 2
Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
Callaway Jaws Raw 54.10S / 58.8Z
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

Outlaw Golf Association #21